HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speculation: Adrian Dater: Is it time to move Paul Stastny? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1366789)

caley 03-04-2013 01:53 PM

Adrian Dater: Is it time to move Paul Stastny?

Interesting read from Adian Dater

Quote:

If the Avs still really want to trade Ryan O'Reilly, they need to maximize his value again, which means giving him substantial ice time with top-six linemates so he can put meaningful points on the board.
Quote:

But if they do that, Matt Duchene or Paul Stastny will have to either drop down to being a third-line center, or Duchene will have to play left wing again something he doesn't like to do and wouldn't be in the best interests of the team.
Quote:

Bad first game aside, O'Reilly is too good to be wasted playing third-line minutes with no offense to Mitchell and Hejduk linemates who don't match his abilities. The same can be said of Stastny and Duchene.
Quote:

My solution? I think Stastny is the guy they need to seriously consider moving. No offense to him either, but if I'm the GM of this team, I go with Duchene and O'Reilly as my top two centers and try to get something for Stastny while I still can.
Quote:

If O'Reilly can put up strong offensive numbers again in the next 12 months, he would still have very high trade value. But that probably isn't going to happen playing with Mitchell and Hejduk.
http://www.denverpost.com/lunchspeci...#ixzz2MbPcmi83

The problem with this scenario is, if you move Stastny to make room for O'Reilly to develop so you can move O'Reilly in a year's time, you're trading a center to make room and end up with 1 center instead of 3, unless the plan is to move ROR for another center.

Captain Smurf 03-04-2013 01:56 PM

I'm curious as to what team has both the cap structure and need for a guy like Stastny?

Randall Ritchey 03-04-2013 02:00 PM

The Blues have the cap space and have a big need for Paul Stastny.
What is his actual salary?

Ivan13 03-04-2013 02:00 PM

Yeah trading Stastny with all the uncertainty surrounding Radar would be a really smart thing to do. :shakehead

I'm glad to see Dater is still throwing out non-sense without thinking it through.

Kaen 03-04-2013 02:01 PM

Why would you make room for O'Reilly just to boost his value to trade him? You would go from three top six centers to one.

joestevens29 03-04-2013 02:01 PM

So you move Statsny this year, you move RoR next year then who is your top 2 centers? Duchene and?

RangerBoy 03-04-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey (Post 60946389)

$6.6M salary.

Group III in 2014.

Hennessy 03-04-2013 02:02 PM

Genius, Dater!

Gigantor The Goalie 03-04-2013 02:03 PM

This is going to end well....

IcedCapp 03-04-2013 02:04 PM

Yes, it's time to trade him, but that's based solely on the fact that I'm bored and want to see some big deals happen.

Honeycutt 03-04-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

6.6 million next year.. He would fill a huge need, but not sure if the Blues could swing it, although i am just a fan on a message board.

ChibiPooky 03-04-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joestevens29 (Post 60946493)
So you move Statsny this year, you move RoR next year then who is your top 2 centers? Duchene and?

Johnny Malkin

Ivan13 03-04-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Same as his cap hit.

Nabokov20 03-04-2013 02:05 PM

Send him to Toronto for something surrounding Bozak, Liles and Kulemin

Seems like a Sherman deal to me

Freudian 03-04-2013 02:07 PM

Yeah, giving O'Reilly's agent more leverage is exactly what Avs want at this stage.

You trade Stastny after you have O'Reilly extended. Not before. If the O'Reilly camp is unreasonable, you extend Stastny instead.

CaptainIginla 03-04-2013 02:07 PM

IIRC Pauls dad was vocal @ being mad at the org when they traded Shattenkirk/Stewart, I dont think Paul Statsny will want to stay in COL for long... just my opinion tho

BigDaddyLurch 03-04-2013 02:11 PM

Avs won't trade Stastny (not that alot of teams want a 6.6 million dollar second line centre); O'Reilly is gone the moment they're allowed to trade him.

haveandare 03-04-2013 02:12 PM

This seems remarkably stupid. Why would you go from having 3 top 6 centers, which is a great surplus, to having 1? That makes very little sense.

Like always, they should construct the lines in a way that is best for the team's success. Don't build lines around the idea of maybe wanting to trade a guy a year from now. If ROR is playing well, put him on the second line. If Stasny is playing well, put him on the second. If both of them and Duchene are playing well, congratulations, you have 3 great centers, mix and match the wingers to get the most out of each of them and take advantage of the mismatches you're sure to get against the opposition.

Freudian 03-04-2013 02:15 PM

The best for Avs in the long run is probably try Stastny on the wing with O'Reilly/Landeskog and use that line for 21+ minutes a night and see how it works. Then try to lock up both O'Reilly and Stastny for $5M-5.5M/year long term.

It would solve the problem of giving three very good centers proper ice time and would give the team fantastic center depth when injuries hit.

Stastny has played wing before and gravitates towards cycling/playmaking, so it would probably be a good fit.

Ivan13 03-04-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hennessy (Post 60946577)
Genius, Dater!

We have probably the worst duo of beat writers in the NHL in Dater and Chambers. I can't understand how can a person which is paid to follow a franchise be so clueless about its bussiness.

Marlo Stanfield 03-04-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joestevens29 (Post 60946493)

JOEY HISHON!

:sarcasm:

stakesishigh 03-04-2013 02:16 PM

Depends on what they plan to do with O'Reilly in the future.

Duchene will be slated to make pretty big money soon and they'll likely have to make a decision on whether to keep O'Reilly (which may depend on his performance in the next 2 years) or Stastny (who will be a UFA after next season).

Either way it's likely that one of em gets traded, and they may want to do it sooner than later if they want to trade a higher value Stastny still under contract.

Colorado has some time to figure it out though, and they wouldn't rush to trade players of this caliber. Eventually, something's gotta give, but I don't think anything will happen too soon until they're more confident with who they want to keep.

I would be surprised if Stastny didn't eventually get traded.

daveleaf 03-04-2013 02:17 PM

Question I have is with all this fantastic young talent and high draft pics how come this team has not turned more of a corner yet. I'm not saying as a Leaf fan I want him but I am sure he can return two solid soldiers for the team. I just don't see Duchene as a winger long term.

Ivan13 03-04-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveleaf (Post 60947511)
Question I have is with all this fantastic young talent and high draft pics how come this team has not turned more of a corner yet. I'm not saying as a Leaf fan I want him but I am sure he can return two solid soldiers for the team. I just don't see Duchene as a winger long term.

Matt plays at center on a line featuring McGinn and Parenteau.

InfinityIggy 03-04-2013 02:21 PM

Flames offer 1st + 3rd :sarcasm: