HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Ian White (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1367129)

The Nose 03-04-2013 08:10 PM

Ian White

Made a few comments after being scratched that I'm sure didn't sit well with Babcock or Holland at all. And it doesn't look like he'll be playing anytime soon. What could the Wings get for him?

Last year of his deal.
Right-handed two-way defenseman (5'11 so kind of small).
Played with Lidstrom the past two years posting solid seasons of ~30 points.
Probably a #4 PMD who plays the #2 PP on a contending team, can also play PK but average at best.

Wings are probably wanting pick(s) or prospects in return.

last_sd 03-04-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Nose (Post 60966045)
Made a few comments after being scratched that I'm sure didn't sit well with Babcock or Holland at all. And it doesn't look like he'll be playing anytime soon. What could the Wings get for him?

Last year of his deal.
Probably a #4 PMD who plays the #2 PP on a contending team, can also play PK but average at best.

I think there was a similar thread few days back.
If I remember correctly the consensus was 2nd/3rd rounder + late draft pick/weak prospect

Xamboni 03-04-2013 08:25 PM

Rodin + 3rd?

IranCondraAffair 03-04-2013 08:26 PM

Ottawa is your team. I literally don't know why this deal hasn't happened uneless the red Wings are waiting for a better deal.

Positives:
He's outside the conference so he can't burn you.
The entire Ottawa team is walking wounded on defense.
They need a right shot defenseman even if they weren't injured
They need a defenseman who can score PAST this season so they might even wan to re-sign him
They have boatloads of prospects at every position, probably top-5 for prospect depth in the NHL.
Salary cap is not an issue (Red Wings won't have to take back ANY salary)
Organizational connection with the Red Wings via Ottawa's current coach
GM takes risks with players who need new homes (see Filatov/Turris)

Negatives:
GM has publicly stated they wouldn't be trading for players at the expense of prospects (which means the big "name" prospects aren't an option) and Ottawa can't spare roster players.
Red Wings will probably want something "good" for White

Seatoo 03-04-2013 08:26 PM

Ballard for White straight up

last_sd 03-04-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair (Post 60967437)
Ottawa is your team. I literally don't know why this deal hasn't happened uneless the red Wings are waiting for a better deal.

Positives:
He's outside the conference so he can't burn you.
The entire Ottawa team is walking wounded on defense.
They need a right shot defenseman even if they weren't injured
They need a defenseman who can score PAST this season so they might even wan to re-sign him
They have boatloads of prospects at every position, probably top-5 for prospect depth in the NHL.
Salary cap is not an issue (Red Wings won't have to take back ANY salary)
Organizational connection with the Red Wings via Ottawa's current coach
GM takes risks with players who need new homes (see Filatov/Turris)

Negatives:
GM has publicly stated they wouldn't be trading for players at the expense of prospects (which means the big "name" prospects aren't an option) and Ottawa can't spare roster players.
Red Wings will probably want something "good" for Cole.

Few possible reasons

1. We could be waiting for Colacovo to get fully healthy before dealing any D. (when he comes back we get 9D, but we could send Lashoff down without being subjected to waivers to 8D. However, it seems like Babcock really likes Lashoff)

2. We aren't actually trading White (meaning one of the players playing is being show cased - maybe Kindl/Quincey)

3. We will just keep White for insurance (with how many injuries we had, maybe it's not the end of the world)

IranCondraAffair 03-04-2013 08:32 PM

If Detroit is going to wait for Cola to get healthy they might not want to bother.

Cyborg Yzerman 03-04-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier Ouellet (Post 60967351)
Rodin + 3rd?

I'd honestly heavily consider that.

Crymson 03-05-2013 01:47 AM

Quote:

Last year of his deal.

This is White's second season with the team. He played only one season with Lidstrom.

probertrules24 03-05-2013 06:58 AM

My guess on how the White situation plays out. He won't be traded.

Lashoff is sent back down. (8-dmen) Huskins is waived closer to the deadline and goes down to help the Griffins for their playoff run. (7-dmen)

At the deadline Detroit either goes after a solid stay at home guy or recalls Lashoff for the playoffs.

If a team shows up who is in desperate need of D and is offering a 2nd for White I think you consider it as White was an UFA acquisition it's good asset management. It would be tough to lose our only RH shot though.

TSA0402 03-05-2013 07:07 AM

I think Detroit is looking for 1st + prospect which would heavily stagnate any possible dealings. This is, assuming he is getting traded.

Honour Over Glory 03-05-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Last year of his deal.

How does a guy that has only been a Wing for 2yrs and only 1 of them with Lidstrom, play 2yrs with Lidstrom?

He had 1 decent year with Lidstrom and really, it's Lidstrom, who wouldn't? His value is probably a 3rd (desperate team) or a 4th (a team that just needs depth).

2010-11: Flames/Canes/Sharks
2011-12: Wings
2012-13: Wings (Lidstrom retired)

Chevrier 03-05-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory (Post 60995289)
How does a guy that has only been a Wing for 2yrs and only 1 of them with Lidstrom, play 2yrs with Lidstrom?

He had 1 decent year with Lidstrom and really, it's Lidstrom, who wouldn't? His value is probably a 3rd (desperate team) or a 4th (a team that just needs depth).

I don't think that the Wings are looking to get rid of White and unload him for anything on particular value but he is still a veteran and steady. He's not flashy, nor a game changer but his value is most definitely above that of a 4th to say the least. A late 2nd, early 3rd or bust. UFA or not, the Wings won't trade him off unless he's packaged with a more valuable or younger piece for something decent in return. When do the Wings trade veterans away for mid round draft picks? It hasn't happened in some time and I wouldn't expect it this season.

I recall Commodore being moved for cheap but he was an afterthought by that time and had barely touched the ice in any meaningful way during his short stint with the Wings. White's production was a direct result of Lidstrom, that's a given, but even so, he's worth more than a 4th. Maybe not much more, but a notch no less. Depends on WHO would trade for him, really.

If Wings fall out of the playoff race for whatever reason, maybe ANA picks him to up to grab at least one righty shot for cheap. Wings keep him.

The Nose 03-05-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory (Post 60995289)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crymson (Post 60991547)
This is White's second season with the team. He played only one season with Lidstrom.

Yeah that's my bad, not sure why I thought that.

probertrules24 03-05-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by last_sd (Post 60967823)
Few possible reasons

1. We could be waiting for Colacovo to get fully healthy before dealing any D. (when he comes back we get 9D, but we could send Lashoff down without being subjected to waivers to 8D. However, it seems like Babcock really likes Lashoff)

2. We aren't actually trading White (meaning one of the players playing is being show cased - maybe Kindl/Quincey)

3. We will just keep White for insurance (with how many injuries we had, maybe it's not the end of the world)

I'm not sure it's a case of showcasing other players just because it would make more sense to have White in the line-up during this time as he would help to make them look better. There are other guys who should sit if that's the case. Lashoff for example and pair one of Kindl or Quincey with a better player to help make them look stronger.

Just my thoughts.

wynne 03-05-2013 10:32 AM

Would love to have him back with Toronto, would be a much better option for top 4 minutes instead of Holzer and Kostka.

What would Wings fans be looking for from Toronto?

Wingsfan2965* 03-05-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSA0402 (Post 60995261)
I think Detroit is looking for 1st + prospect which would heavily stagnate any possible dealings. This is, assuming he is getting traded.

If Ken Holland could get the 1st rounder by itself that might be the best trade he's ever pulled off.

Just about no chance it happens.

Vladdy84 03-05-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wynne (Post 61000457)
Would love to have him back with Toronto, would be a much better option for top 4 minutes instead of Holzer and Kostka.

What would Wings fans be looking for from Toronto?

Draft pick. 3rd or 4th round?

The Yzerman 03-05-2013 10:55 AM

I really think the Wings would like to have a top 9 player in return for White + another roster player.

hockeyball 03-05-2013 11:12 AM

With Burns being out and the 2nd unit PP so freaking teribble for the Sharks I bet they would love to still have White in the lineup.

How about a straight swap for Murray?

The Zetterberg Era 03-05-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 61002597)
With Burns being out and the 2nd unit PP so freaking teribble for the Sharks I bet they would love to still have White in the lineup.

Doubt many Detroit fans turn that down.

I honestly think White would already be back in the lineup had he kept his mouth shut, Babcock told him to work on things and he responded with that is how he plays right now is how he always plays and will always play. After a year and a half in the organization it should have dawned on him that nobody talks like this there. Even when Mursak was waived he took a higher road understanding that.

DatsyukToZetterberg 03-05-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 61002597)

I wouldn't mind it but I'd rather get a 2013/2014 2nd+3rd for White. White is comparable to Oduya who got Winnipeg a 2nd+3rd last year so I don't see why White would return anything less. Defenceman usually get traded at a premium, especially guys who have had some success on the PP.

hockeyball 03-05-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg (Post 61006061)
I wouldn't mind it but I'd rather get a 2013/2014 2nd+3rd for White. White is comparable to Oduya who got Winnipeg a 2nd+3rd last year so I don't see why White would return anything less. Defenceman usually get traded at a premium, especially guys who have had some success on the PP.

I can't argue with that, but we'd need to move a defensemen elsewhere first then anyway and I thought Murray might be a good fit in Detroit.

Zetterberg4Captain 03-05-2013 12:51 PM

KH is not allowed to trade roster players,

lashoff will be sent down to GR

huskins will replace lashoff in GR should Detroit make the playoffs

kindl will be detroits #7 dman should they make the playoffs

white will be let go in the offseason

BamaWing 03-05-2013 12:56 PM

I'd trade for Murray straight up