HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   The End of Hugo Chavez? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1367335)

Slopo 03-04-2013 09:57 PM

The End of Hugo Chavez?
 
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/04/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

Quote:

Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is fighting a new infection, and his breathing problems have worsened, Information Minister Ernesto Villegas said late Monday.

"There is a worsening of the respiratory function," he said, reading an official statement on state-run VTV.

Villegas reported Chavez is battling a new and "severe" infection, stressing that his overall condition remains "delicate."

Yoshimitsu 03-05-2013 12:36 AM

The comments to that article are disgusting. I'm not fan of the guy, but come on.

Anyway, yeah, it doesn't look good for him. It will be interesting to see what happens in Venezuela if he doesn't come out of it.

JaysCyYoung 03-05-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshimitsu (Post 60991265)
The comments to that article are disgusting. I'm not fan of the guy, but come on.

Anyway, yeah, it doesn't look good for him. It will be interesting to see what happens in Venezuela if he doesn't come out of it.

He's been responsible for a lot of suffering for the families of his political opponents, so forgive me if I don't shed any crocodile tears for the man's demise. I'll be just as happy when Mugabe dies.

Francesa 03-05-2013 03:58 PM

He dead

Francesa 03-05-2013 03:59 PM

http://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/st...59634168229888
Quote:

RT @AP: BREAKING: Venezuelan Vice President Nicolas Maduro says President Hugo Chavez has died.

Francesa 03-05-2013 04:02 PM

He ws a terrible person and a dictator and a power abusing clown

Hopefully things in Venezuela get better with him gone

Slopo 03-05-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ixcuincle (Post 61024113)
He ws a terrible person and a dictator and a power abusing clown

Hopefully things in Venezuela get better with him gone

Power struggle is a possibility.

PricePkPatch 03-05-2013 04:11 PM


Bronn 03-05-2013 04:14 PM

Official now

Champagne must me flowing at the White House right now

Francesa 03-05-2013 04:16 PM

Sounds like the new guy in charge hates the US just as much

Said Chavez's cancer was deliberate attack by US and Venezuela's enemies :laugh:

Haters gonna hate

Johnnywhite 03-05-2013 04:20 PM

What did Hugo Chavez actually do to merit the unbridled delight at his death from cancer? Disgusting.

Free Torts 03-05-2013 04:20 PM

Cue 100 days of North Korea-style mourning.

Francesa 03-05-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnywhite (Post 61025167)
What did Hugo Chavez actually do to merit the unbridled delight at his death from cancer? Disgusting.

I don't know...repression of political opposition? Trashing the United States? He was generally a clown and defiant Anti-Amurrrrican. So forgive me if I don't bawl my eyes out at his demise

Francesa 03-05-2013 04:23 PM

I mean FDR had 4 terms too but he wasn't as abusive as Hugo Chavez

That guy was just a power hungry despot

4 straight terms :laugh:

Johnnywhite 03-05-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ixcuincle (Post 61025193)
I don't know...repression of political opposition? Trashing the United States? He was generally a clown and defiant Anti-Amurrrrican. So forgive me if I don't bawl my eyes out at his demise

Examples? The democratic process in Venezuela generally got decent international ratings. So he wasn't a US fan boy, big deal.

Francesa 03-05-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnywhite (Post 61025457)
Examples? The democratic process in Venezuela generally got decent international ratings. So he wasn't a US fan boy, big deal.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...avez-dies?lite

Quote:

Adored or reviled for his self-styled populist revolution, Chavez held sway over Venezuela through a cult of personality, government reforms that championed the downtrodden, and an endless stream of rhetoric denouncing capitalism, imperialism and the United States.

The "Chavistas" praised El Comandante for reducing extreme poverty and expanding access to health care and education. Critics blamed him for high inflation, food shortages, escalating crime and mismanagement of the country’s oil industry.

Human rights groups lambasted him for politicizing the judicial branch, and undermining the democratic system of checks and balances.

Helton4Hall 03-05-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung (Post 61007027)
He's been responsible for a lot of suffering for the families of his political opponents, so forgive me if I don't shed any crocodile tears for the man's demise. I'll be just as happy when Mugabe dies.

I don't like Chavez, but I will be much happier the day Mugabe dies, that should be a global holiday.

Bronn 03-05-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ixcuincle (Post 61024927)
Sounds like the new guy in charge hates the US just as much

Said Chavez's cancer was deliberate attack by US and Venezuela's enemies :laugh:

Haters gonna hate

I wonder what's going to happen now ? Are they going to have elections or is the new guy going to take it from there and continue the Chavez government ? Will external forces meddle in and try to install a puppet regime ? Danger of civil war ?

Love him or hate him Chavez has been the face of Venezuela for a while and did a good job at holding the country together after everything that transpired in 2002-2003 with the coup attempt and all. His death may have some kind of repercussions. Should be interesting to follow.

And while i think Chavez was a bit of a ********* , i don't think he was as bad as many other dictators in the world. I cannot say that i was supporting him because i have strong suspicions that he rigged elections but it could have been much worse imho.

Johnnywhite 03-05-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ixcuincle (Post 61025597)

Politicising the 'Judicial Branch', that's laughable, it's a US national pastime.

Doppler Drift 03-05-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnywhite (Post 61025457)
Examples? The democratic process in Venezuela generally got decent international ratings. So he wasn't a US fan boy, big deal.

I personally know some Venezuelan ex-pats and none of them, not a one, have anything good to say about Chavez and his reign. Just ordinary, every day people. Small sample size of course.

Francesa 03-05-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnywhite (Post 61025743)
Politicising the 'Judicial Branch', that's laughable, it's a US national pastime.

He revised the constitution several times to give himself 4 consecutive terms. Kind of like what Michael Bloomberg did. But Bloomberg isn't president.

Blackhawkswincup 03-05-2013 04:34 PM

Chavez was low rate dictator

Not really important enough to really be taken seriously

Didn't commit the crimes or violations internationally compared to many others. The biggest aspect of Hugo Chavez that caused issues IMO was his constant going out of his way to start things

- Threatening to sell the nations F-16 fighter jets to Iran was nothing more then attempt to engage US in his rhetoric/BS and feed his image

- Constantly supporting rebels in Columbia and threatening that nation's security was just not smart. Simple reality in a shooting war Columbia is better equipped and US would support them 100%

- Consolidating power for 1 man control of his country showed he wanted to be bigger power then he could achieve

I wont take pleasure in his death and he isn't comparable to scum like Mugabe who have far more blood on there hands. But I do think it is chance for start over with regard to US/Venezuela relationship. We shall see if things change once the rhetoric stops in coming weeks and actual diplomatic talks get going

Free Torts 03-05-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Jones (Post 61025607)
I don't like Chavez, but I will be much happier the day Mugabe dies, that should be a global holiday.

There are few leaders in the history of mankind who are as solely responsible for the destruction of their countries as Mugabe. Way, way, way worse than Chavez.

Francesa 03-05-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doppler Drift (Post 61025897)
I personally know some Venezuelan ex-pats and none of them, not a one, have anything good to say about Chavez and his reign. Small sample size of course.

He appears to have been wildly popular with the poor, even though many of his promises about ending poverty actually accomplished the opposite.

Ozamataz Buckshank 03-05-2013 04:40 PM

Obama must be so sad one of his heroes is gone.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.