HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Marleau to the Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1367399)

Canadian Jesus 03-04-2013 10:48 PM

Marleau to the Leafs

What would it take to get him to Toronto? I am assuming the deal would only happen if the Sharks fall out of contention in the West.

Pinkfloyd 03-04-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Jesus (Post 60985705)
What would it take to get him to Toronto? I am assuming the deal would only happen if the Sharks fall out of contention in the West.

It probably wouldn't take much assuming that Toronto is on his list of destinations. It's hard to trade players with NMC's and they generally don't get a lot in return. Probably just a good young forward prospect and a 1st.

Dark Knight 03-04-2013 10:56 PM

Now I think he'd be a fine addition in Toronto.

Veteran who can skate. He can be a good 2nd option. Now with Kessel, Marleau, JVR and Kadri we have a core.

Canadian Jesus 03-04-2013 10:57 PM

Would the Sharks take back Bozak or Grabovski?

couturefan39 03-04-2013 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Knight (Post 60986323)
Now I think he'd be a fine addition in Toronto.

Veteran who can skate. He can be a good 2nd option. Now with Kessel, Marleau, JVR and Kadri we have a core.

For Marleau, you are giving up one of JVR or Kadri...

oconnor9sean 03-04-2013 11:06 PM

Not a fan of either teams

But if Toronto wants Marleau, it'll probably cost you Rielly +

and thats not worth it for Toronto

Pinkfloyd 03-04-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Jesus (Post 60986409)
Would the Sharks take back Bozak or Grabovski?

No. Grabovski is overpaid and would defeat the purpose of trading Marleau which is to get legitimately younger and look toward the future and Bozak is unrestricted after this year and I can't see the Sharks re-signing him which would beg the question of whether they actually would want to or not.

Joe Pesci 03-04-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by couturefan39 (Post 60986647)

Then forget about it. Not that I dislike Marleau at all, I just don't think now is the right time to trade for a player like him. I don't see us winning the Cup this year or next.

Dark Knight 03-04-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Maybe if he was 5 years younger.

He'll be a good fit to add to our core. If he costs one of our core pieces then I'd rather stay young.

Vankiller Whale 03-04-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd (Post 60986275)
It probably wouldn't take much assuming that Toronto is on his list of destinations. It's hard to trade players with NMC's and they generally don't get a lot in return. Probably just a good young forward prospect and a 1st.

I would offer that in a heartbeat. Would Jensen/Gaunce/Schroeder + 1st from the Canucks do it?

Pinkfloyd 03-04-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 60987615)
I would offer that in a heartbeat. Would Jensen/Gaunce/Schroeder + 1st from the Canucks do it?

I'd probably be able to live with Jensen and a 1st. I wouldn't like it as I don't want Marleau dealt at all but that's about what I'd expect if he was traded.

CanadienShark 03-04-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Knight (Post 60987457)
Maybe if he was 5 years younger.

He'll be a good fit to add to our core. If he costs one of our core pieces then I'd rather stay young.

If he was 5 years younger, it'd be unquestionably more than JVR+ or Kadri+.

Hatrick Marleau 03-04-2013 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd (Post 60987929)
I'd probably be able to live with Jensen and a 1st. I wouldn't like it as I don't want Marleau dealt at all but that's about what I'd expect if he was traded.

Really??? If Marleau was traded he'd definitely get more than a good prospect and a late 1st.

TheJuxtaposer 03-05-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale (Post 60987615)

Personally, my top priority would be getting Marleau to a contender. So I'd take the Jensen offer and let Patty win a Cup. He'd put Vancouver over the top, be a great #2C while Kesler heals, and then he and Kesler would tear it up with a combination of speed and defensive brilliance.

Vankiller Whale 03-05-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer (Post 60990579)
Personally, my top priority would be getting Marleau to a contender. So I'd take the Jensen offer and let Patty win a Cup. He'd put Vancouver over the top, be a great #2C while Kesler heals, and then he and Kesler would tear it up with a combination of speed and defensive brilliance.

Sounds good to me.:yo:

kihei 03-05-2013 12:21 AM

Five years ago, Marleau would have been tempting, but now I don't think he would be worth whatever we had to give up to get him. So, pass.

TheJuxtaposer 03-05-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kihei (Post 60990755)
Five years ago, Marleau would have been tempting, but now I don't think he would be worth whatever we had to give up to get him. So, pass.

Yeah, it definitely doesn't make sense for the Leafs to get him. A team like the Canucks or Penguins where a one elite player puts them over the top, makes sense. A young team still trying to make the playoffs isn't the type that should go after Marleau.

Pinkfloyd 03-05-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 60988565)
Really??? If Marleau was traded he'd definitely get more than a good prospect and a late 1st.

I don't as I wouldn't expect teams to offer more than that. Marleau's NMC severely limits the value that DW or any GM could get for him. And if it's DW having to make the trade, it makes it worse because his M.O. has always been to never ask a player to waive his clause which means if he pops up in a trade discussion, they know he's asked out and they're on his list...which couldn't be more than a handful of teams. DW wouldn't make it a bidding war. He'd talk to each team on Marleau's list, determine which is the best deal, and get it over with promptly so he doesn't have to deal with what Howson and Murray had to deal with and out of respect for the player.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 03-05-2013 04:35 AM

Quote:

I'm sure you think that but you are wrong

416Leafer 03-05-2013 04:59 AM

Oh God, please Leaf fans, just have some patience.

Remember what ruined us coming out of the lockout? Trading top picks/prospects. Let it be clear, even wilth Marleau, we would not be legitimate contenders. He's gonna be 34 next season, not worth trading our 1st in a very deep draft + good prospect.

There is a point where it makes sense to trade picks/prospects to try and win, but we're not there yet. We arent one piece away.

Man Bear Pig 03-05-2013 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatrick Marleau (Post 60988565)

Probably. Problem is the contract. When you aren't open to dealing with 29 teams it really limits what you can do. We saw this in Toronto with Kaberle a few years back. The return was still pretty good(Colborne+late first) but it could have been more, and probably would have, had there been more teams involved.

internetdotcom 03-05-2013 08:08 AM

The Sharks are certainly not in any danger anytime soon of falling out of the playoff race. Heck, they are 6th in the West right now.

That said, even if they fell out of it, Toronto is not the place for Marleau, and likely wouldn't be on his list anyway. More than that, I'm really a fan of players spending their whole career with the team that drafted them (as a Sens fan, I appreciate this as much as anyone), and it would be a shame to see Marleau in any other jersey.

HarrisonFord 03-05-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oconnor9sean (Post 60986989)
Not a fan of either teams

But if Toronto wants Marleau, it'll probably cost you Rielly +

and thats not worth it for Toronto

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahah.

That is hilarious, thank you for the laugh.

One of the best D prospects that is part of the Leafs future, and a potential #1Dman PLUS is what is fair for a 33 year old 60-70 point guy who has a $7M contract, which expires at the end of next year.

Can you become my rivals GM please?

SprDaVE 03-05-2013 08:38 AM

The type of forward the Leafs need on their top line but not likely at the price it'll take.

Nonis probably won't give up any of the core/top prospect players to get him, and that's what it would take --- with good reason.

Dark Knight 03-05-2013 08:40 AM

I know he plays wing, but I'd put him as the top line C with Kessel due to his D awareness.

My package will be Grabovski, Stu Percy and a 2nd which is fair considering its a top 6 forward, a potential top 4 D-man who was a 1st rounder and a 2nd.