HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Back Pain when shooting at home (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1367425)

BeezyD18 03-04-2013 11:25 PM

Back Pain when shooting at home

When and after i done shooting, i get back pain on my left or right side of my back. I think its my posture when shooting because i dont get into a "shooting posture" and stand straight up and lean onto one side. But i recently have been fixing that and getting low into a shooting posture, but my back still hurts. Any ideas?

Phil Connors* 03-04-2013 11:31 PM

What's your athletic build? Shooting works your core a lot. If you don't have a strong back it'll be sore (if that's the pain you're talking about).

rbarker26 03-04-2013 11:58 PM

maybe you need a longer stick?

Jarick 03-05-2013 09:29 AM

Are you hunching over by bending at the back or are your sticking your butt out back while you bend at the knees to keep your back straight? The former will cause back pain and the latter is the proper way, although your back will still probably be a little sore at first as the muscles get stronger.

http://www.icesports.com/Data/Sites/...00ae108f5a.jpg

esidebill 03-05-2013 10:32 AM

I had a sore back when I first started playing. Def agree with Jarick, a good lumbar curve will save you years of back pain. Shooting is a motion that uses a core twist, which can cause the abdominal muscles to weaken. Once those are weak, your back muscles take on additional loads they are not used to and get sore. The solution is core workouts for sure. Dead lifts, squats and some ab routines will make you feel better.

Jarick 03-05-2013 11:02 AM

Kettlebell swings with tight abs + front plank + an hour of shoveling = sore abs today

esidebill 03-05-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 61005441)
Kettlebell swings with tight abs + front plank + an hour of shoveling = sore abs today

Oh god, kettlebells are the worst. I used to do a lot of Crossfit workouts that would involve kettlebells. The most fun I've had with them is turkish get ups. Did a full up and down with an 88lb kettlebell and another with a 100lb barbell.

Steelhead16 03-05-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbarker26 (Post 60989881)
maybe you need a longer stick?

Or a shorter one if you are wearing shoes. If you are using a stick the same length as your stick on the ice it will be too long and put you in a strange position that your body isn't used to.

Jarick 03-05-2013 11:58 AM

I always find I stand up straighter at home than when I have my knees bent and shooting so the stick is more or less the same. Shots are harder on the ice though because you're moving an extra 10+ mph and can transfer your weight easier.

newfr4u 03-05-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 (Post 60988319)
What's your athletic build? Shooting works your core a lot. If you don't have a strong back it'll be sore (if that's the pain you're talking about).

yes, he very likely needs to build strength in his back, but still, he should be able to shoot pain-free at his current strength levels. a long-term solution would definitely involve getting a whole lot stronger.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 61000303)
Are you hunching over by bending at the back or are your sticking your butt out back while you bend at the knees to keep your back straight? The former will cause back pain and the latter is the proper way, although your back will still probably be a little sore at first as the muscles get stronger.

http://www.icesports.com/Data/Sites/...00ae108f5a.jpg

all of this is correct and good, but unfortunately only addresses his posture while shooting, rather than all the time (skating, walking around, sitting at a desk/on the couch). i would say, it's unlikely his problem is caused only by and can be fixed by addressing only shooting technique.

Quote:

Originally Posted by esidebill (Post 61003707)
I had a sore back when I first started playing. Def agree with Jarick, a good lumbar curve will save you years of back pain. Shooting is a motion that uses a core twist, which can cause the abdominal muscles to weaken. Once those are weak, your back muscles take on additional loads they are not used to and get sore. The solution is core workouts for sure. Dead lifts, squats and some ab routines will make you feel better.

i think the bolded a bit of a vague description. personally, i think it's clearer if you say "neutral spine", which may or may not be a "comfortable" position when you are doing different things, like sitting, or shooting pucks. for some people with muscular issues, extreme lumbar curves will feel correct, but in fact will likely be causing further damage.

ab routines, such as crunches, are actually horrible for treating low-back pain. they tend to round the lumbar and place it under muscular load, which not only hurts the discs, but also worsens already present muscular imbalances. if you want to strengthen your abs, doing planks and/or supermans with perfect form is enough for most people, but if you want harder stimulus, paloff presses.

deadlifts and squats should be a staple obviously, but i would once again caution about perfect form.

PlayBall 03-05-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfr4u (Post 61009151)
ab routines, such as crunches, are actually horrible for treating low-back pain. they tend to round the lumbar and place it under muscular load

Words worth repeating. Don't mistreat your core

esidebill 03-05-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newfr4u (Post 61009151)
i think the bolded a bit of a vague description. personally, i think it's clearer if you say "neutral spine", which may or may not be a "comfortable" position when you are doing different things, like sitting, or shooting pucks. for some people with muscular issues, extreme lumbar curves will feel correct, but in fact will likely be causing further damage.

ab routines, such as crunches, are actually horrible for treating low-back pain. they tend to round the lumbar and place it under muscular load, which not only hurts the discs, but also worsens already present muscular imbalances. if you want to strengthen your abs, doing planks and/or supermans with perfect form is enough for most people, but if you want harder stimulus, paloff presses.

deadlifts and squats should be a staple obviously, but i would once again caution about perfect form.

Apologize for the generality of most of my statement. Neutral spine is certainly a better way of putting it. Same with the ab routines.

newfr4u 03-05-2013 03:27 PM

for those interested, here is eric cressey on neutral spine

http://www.ericcressey.com/squat-tec...or-not-to-arch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yFbBWTB8y0

Thesensation19 03-05-2013 05:34 PM

When you do your strength and conditioning you should really focus on your core, abs, back. Many people confuse core with abs and back because they are very alike. Core is a certain area underneath your abs and your back. Core exercises have a lot to do with balancing, though abs and back strengthening can very well help your core as well.

Anyway... when you do it, be sure to focus on these. Go ahead and have your days where you work on your biceps, of course your legs, your neck. All of this will also strengthen your overall build but remember to rely mostly on training of the core, abs and back and legs. Most important of all.

You said you get most of your pain in your garage. I assume that you are not on skates and therefor on a differ height than your use to. Your stick is probably too long and your form is all off causing stress to differ areas of your body including your back.

Bad form can really do damage in both the short and long run

Remember to properly stretch and warm up when doing physical activity

BeezyD18 03-05-2013 10:30 PM

Ahaaaa, my stick is too long. Wow, probably shoulda payed attention to that. Guess im gonna cut it down, and what do you guys use to remove a plug?