HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rumor Penguins interested in Jack Johnson | CBJ brass takes in PIT/TB game 3/4 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1367437)

shureshot66 03-04-2013 11:34 PM

Penguins interested in Jack Johnson | CBJ brass takes in PIT/TB game 3/4

This needs to be qualified that it's being reported by the far more sensationalist of Pittsburgh's two papers, but here's the link anyway.

http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice...ginla-calgary/

Quote:

New general manager Jarmo Kekalainen, his assistant Chris MacFarland, and senior advisor Craig Patrick – who preceded Ray Shero as Penguins general manager – watched the game from the media level.

Patrick, who still lives in suburban Pittsburgh, often attends Penguins games and sits in the stands, but he is rarely in the media area.

The Penguins are seeking to bolster their defense, preferably with a player under contract who could serve as either a long-term partner for Kris Letang or possible insurance if Letang is traded before his contract expires in July 2014.

This past summer, while pursing free-agent defenseman Ryan Suter, the Penguins envisioned paring Letang with an elite partner.

Jack Johnson, 26, could potentially fit that description.
Always suspicious when it's presented as fact that they're interested but then it's never actually attributed to any source, anonymous or otherwise.

Reaction from the more reliable Aaron Portzline in Columbus:

Quote:

Per @RobRossi_Trib report ... Would be stunning for #CBJ to trade D Jack Johnson barely a year after he was acquired from #LAKings, but ...

... #CBJ franchise has been overhauled at the top. Neither POHOP John Davidson nor GM Jarmo Kekalainen made that trade.
https://twitter.com/aportzline

BigBenSF* 03-04-2013 11:36 PM

No clue who we would give up for JJ, would love to have him on the team though.

Crede777 03-04-2013 11:42 PM

I hope Columbus doesn't trade him.

Have no idea what single piece would be enticing enough from Pittsburgh. They could make a package offer but why would Columbus do that? They need to get better players, not more of them.

OCPenguin 03-04-2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crede777 (Post 60989015)

Have no idea what single piece would be enticing enough from Pittsburgh. They could make a package offer but why would Columbus do that? They need to get better players, not more of them.

I hope to heck Pittsburgh doesn't even consider thinking about acquiring him. It would make no sense; doesn't really help or fill a need. Why trade for a puck moving Dman, when you need a a top six winger. I would seriously question Shero's thought process on this one.

Crede777 03-04-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCPenguin (Post 60989179)
I hope to heck Pittsburgh doesn't even consider thinking about acquiring him. It would make no sense; doesn't really help or fill a need. Why trade for a puck moving Dman, when you need a a top six winger. I would seriously question Shero's thought process on this one.

Prospal as a rental would make much more sense. He plans on working for Columbus after he retires (if our new GM honors his previous agreement) and doesn't want to move. He could play after the trade deadline in Pittsburgh and not be too far away from his family in Columbus.

Tender Rip 03-04-2013 11:47 PM

Call me overly reliant on advanced stats all you want..... I want no part of Jack Johnson. It would have to be absolutely dirt cheap to be worth it, and it is hard to see how Columbus would just give him away with the minutes he plays for them.

Vancouver Canucks* 03-04-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCPenguin (Post 60989179)

Penguins already have the highest GPG (Goals Per Game)

Don't really need a top six winger.

IcedCapp 03-04-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crede777 (Post 60989015)

I really don't want the Pens to acquire him, so we're all in the same boat together.

Not because I don't want JJ (his contract is sweet), but I just don't want to give up the pieces I know it'd take. Especially since I'm pretty damn sure one of those pieces is Despres, and I want him in a Penguins uniform for a long time. He's really really good.

BigBenSF* 03-04-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguars Fan (Post 60989379)

Stats don't tell the whole story. A top-six winger has been the biggest need of ours since the start of the season. Cooke, Boychuk, Kennedy, even Tanner ****ing Glass has been given a chance on the top 6.

Crafton 03-04-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

acquiring a top six winger for the pens isn't about goals. it's about puck possession.

edog37 03-04-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

JJ doesn't fit a need for us on the blueline at all. We need more of a shutdown defensive pairing along the lines of Scuderi-Gill. Not another puck mover.

WarriorScholar 03-04-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crede777 (Post 60989337)
Prospal as a rental would make much more sense. He plans on working for Columbus after he retires (if our new GM honors his previous agreement) and doesn't want to move. He could play after the trade deadline in Pittsburgh and not be too far away from his family in Columbus.

It does make sense, and a move I could see happening. Adding Prospal and Iginla would be nice .

But I won't do the line combos. I'm maxed out with em.

OCPenguin 03-04-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

We certainly don't need a player of Jack Johnson's skills either.

Crafton 03-04-2013 11:52 PM

why can't Sid and JMFJ meet in Zanesville for a couple of brewskis? no need for a full blown acquisition. :sarcasm:

Flat Stanley 03-04-2013 11:55 PM

I have to agree here, doesn't make sense to me. Columbus shouldn't trade him.

Penguins have nothing available except prospects. In the article it mentions the Penguins wanting a long term D partner for Letang or insurance in case Letang is traded before your contract expires.

Here's your answer. Simon Despres.

Those 2 have played together numerous times and it looks like a solid D pair, we don't need to acquire a defenseman.

I also agree about Pittsburgh not having the assets to acquire Johnson. Columbus traded a top 6 C/RW for Johnson and a 1st. Why trade him for prospects and picks? (I don't think the Penguins would trade anything else)

I think the Penguins are interested in some of Columbus' players, including Jack Johnson, but there is no need for him right now. In 2006, Shero's first year, he had the 2nd overall pick. Carolina wanted J. Staal so they wanted the pick, Shero asked for Johnson and Ladd.

I know the Pens like Johnson, but realistically, he shouldn't be a target.

Crede777 03-05-2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik (Post 60989717)
Penguins have nothing available except prospects. In the article it mentions the Penguins wanting a long term D partner for Letang or insurance in case Letang is traded before your contract expires.

Here's your answer. Simon Despres.

I agree. Despres, Pouliot, or draft a defenseman this year.

After Jones, I think there'll be a run on forwards like in 2010 and you could get a well regarded defenseman later (like how Gormley dropped). Nurse might not fall that far but Zadorov could as well as Morrissey/Pulock/Ristolainen/Mueller.

CM Lundqvist 03-05-2013 12:02 AM

Big key here is that Crosby and JMFJ have been good friends for a long time since their days at Shattuck St. Mary's together.

If you watch the behind the scenes special on the 2005 Entry Draft, Crosby and Johnson hang out during it.

Big McLargehuge 03-05-2013 12:02 AM

There's no reason for this trade to happen.

Trib gonna Trib.

StrongIslanders90 03-05-2013 12:03 AM

That wouldnt be fair...

Extra Texture 03-05-2013 12:11 AM

I would looooove if the Pens acquired JMFJ. Have been a big fan since his LA days, though I dont know how he's done since the trade.

But yeah, I dont see how it happens. Sadly.

domaug* 03-05-2013 12:15 AM

JMFJ just doesn't impress me anymore because a player like him isn't a need for the Pens exactly. plus, the Blue Jackets really shouldn't trade a defender they should build around.

Jaded-Fan 03-05-2013 12:17 AM

2005:
Crosby: How about getting me a wing.
Patrick: Dude, we got you covered. Ever hear of Ziggy Palffy? All yours man.

2006:
Crosby: About that wing? Malkin got Malon.
Shero: Colby Armstrong. Iíve got you covered man.

2007:
Crosby: Wing!?
Shero: OK this time I really do have you covered. Just traded for Hossa and I am going to sign him for life!

2008:
Crosby: What the **** man?
Shero: His name is Pascal Dupuis. You are going to love him, trust me.

2009:
Crosby: I am really going to hurt you.
Shero: Have I ever told you that Dupuis is French Canadian?

2010:
Crosby: I mean seriously, a huge kick in the balls.
Shero: They call him Super Duper.

2011:
Crosby: You gave Malkin James ****ing Neal?
Shero: Super Duper looks kind of like a puppy dog with those droopy eyes, doesnít he? How can you not like puppies?

2012:
Crosby: Shero? Finally a wing.
Shero: Yes, his name is Jack Johnson. Well not exactly a wing. He is your buddy right?
*the sound of Crosby kicking a baby can be heard in the background*

Crafton 03-05-2013 12:20 AM

needs more Billy G. otherwise, hilarious.

PensFan68 03-05-2013 12:21 AM

Getting JJ doesn't make sense. I'm all for d-men coming here, but I don't think JJ fits what we need right now.

Mayor Bee 03-05-2013 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafton (Post 60989589)
why can't Sid and JMFJ meet in Zanesville for a couple of brewskis? no need for a full blown acquisition. :sarcasm:

Ah, Zanesville...where the men are men and the sheep are scared.

I don't think Pittsburgh and Columbus make good trading partners anyway. Pittsburgh's weakness in the system is the same as Columbus (high-end forwards), their strength is the same (a lot of defensemen, including a couple of high-end ones).