HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Tampa Bay Lightning (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Jones, MacKinnon or Drouin? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1367589)

HoseEmDown 03-05-2013 07:38 AM

Jones, MacKinnon or Drouin?

Well the way this season has falling apart and this team showing no signs of turning it around we should get a top 5 if not 3 pick. Who would you take?
Jones- He's everything we need right now as our D has been awful. He's also RH so him and Hedman can be one of if not the sickest pair in the league. He would be my choice.
MacKinnon- Kid has been hyped as a superstar for awhile now. Having a good season but not as dominant as some hoped. Most expert's say he's the safest player in this draft so even if he's not the next Crosby he can still be a stud. We don't need a C but he would be a perfect replacement for Vinny.
Drouin- He has become the current it player as he has lit up the Q and is pushing for the top spot in the rankings. He's an absolute sniper and a great playmaker. Not the biggest player but he can create space and gets to the open area. I can see him stepping in the top 6 next year and taking pressure of Stamkos to do all our scoring.

zeykshade 03-05-2013 07:50 AM

Jones.Drouin.

Felonious Python 03-05-2013 07:52 AM

I don't think it will come to it, but even if we did pick Jones, I don't think he should be in the NHL lineup next season. There's too many defensemen that haven't lived up to their hype coming into the league as 18 year olds.

Vasilevskiy 03-05-2013 08:28 AM

Jones, then Drouin

InjuredChoker 03-05-2013 09:54 AM

BPA which for me is Drouin.

zeykshade 03-05-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemisti (Post 60998887)

Then we'd have to ditch some of our considerable forward depth to pick up D that don't make me long for the halcyon days of Mike Lundin, Brett Clark and Pavel (The Czech Pylon) Kubina patrolling our blue line.

HoseEmDown 03-05-2013 10:48 AM

Let's say we have an option of trading the top 3 pick for 2 picks from say 8-15 and we can draft Nurse and Zadarov. Would you do it?

The Wyzerhood 03-05-2013 10:52 AM

Drouin for me as well, he's got such slick hands and would really complement the current crop of youth we have. Killorn and Panik are big bodies that have good speed, can score, hit and have a lot of determination. Connolly is another prospect with speed and goal scoring ability, but I still think we're missing that top end forward who can take over a game with his hands, goal scoring ability and breakaway speed. Drouin would also be invaluable to us in a shootout, where we often lack creativity.

Long-term we'd be looking at:

Drouin-Stamkos-Connolly
Conacher-???-Killorn
???(maybe Pyatt or Pouliot)-Lecavalier-Panik
???-???

Hedman-Koekkoek
Carle-???
Aulie-Gudas
Barberio

Vasilevski
???(maybe Lindback)

The Wyzerhood 03-05-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoseEmDown (Post 61001189)
Let's say we have an option of trading the top 3 pick for 2 picks from say 8-15 and we can draft Nurse and Zadarov. Would you do it?

No, especially if it means sacrificing a top talent like Drouin, Jones or MacKinnon. If we're anywhere below the top 3, then I'd definitely consider it.

zeykshade 03-05-2013 10:54 AM

The issue with getting them both is that they're going to have to be groomed and developed in the A. So they're a ways off. That's always the problem with D though I guess.

Both look to have good promise though. That'd be a real tough call to make, Jones for 2 D that are 2-4yrs out. Not that Jones could step right in and play in the NHL either.

HoseEmAllAround 03-05-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio (Post 61001403)
Drouin for me as well, he's got such slick hands and would really complement the current crop of youth we have. Killorn and Panik are big bodies that have good speed, can score, hit and have a lot of determination. Connolly is another prospect with speed and goal scoring ability, but I still think we're missing that top end forward who can take over a game with his hands, goal scoring ability and breakaway speed. Drouin would also be invaluable to us in a shootout, where we often lack creativity.

Long-term we'd be looking at:

Drouin-Stamkos-Connolly
Conacher-???-Killorn
???(maybe Pyatt or Pouliot)-Lecavalier-Panik
???-???

Hedman-Koekkoek
Carle-???
Aulie-Gudas
Barberio

Vasilevski
???(maybe Lindback)

That's a very young team. That being said, I can't comment on the draft because I have absolutely no idea of the players or their abilities in it.

zeykshade 03-05-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio (Post 61001471)
No, especially if it means sacrificing a top talent like Drouin, Jones or MacKinnon. If we're anywhere below the top 3, then I'd definitely consider it.

Still :shakehead seeing Carle slotted there until 2018...

The Wyzerhood 03-05-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeykshade (Post 61001635)
Still :shakehead seeing Carle slotted there until 2018...

:laugh: unfortunately it is how it is and there's nothing we can do about it. With a better d partner on that second pair, I'm fine with Carle being there. He's still a relatively useful player, despite his offensive zone struggles of late. After all, he did make some nice plays early in the season for us.

The Wyzerhood 03-05-2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer (Post 61001499)
That's a very young team. That being said, I can't comment on the draft because I have absolutely no idea of the players or their abilities in it.

I was looking 2-3 years down the road and assumed Marty would be retired by then, but he could be another Selanne and keep on ticking. The draft is incredibly deep this year, but the top 3 are can't miss prospects in my view. Plenty of good talent from 4-14 though if we don't make the playoffs and are outside of the top 3.

bassassin 03-05-2013 11:20 AM

I'd want Drouin. Slick, thats all there is to say.

Beyond that gimme Nichushkin or Zadorov. Love me some Russians!

Vasilevskiy 03-05-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

That's a tough one, I'm not sure.

bassassin 03-05-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

If we could get Nichushkin and Zadorov then yes, otherwise hell no.

The Wyzerhood 03-05-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeykshade (Post 61001495)
The issue with getting them both is that they're going to have to be groomed and developed in the A. So they're a ways off. That's always the problem with D though I guess.

Both look to have good promise though. That'd be a real tough call to make, Jones for 2 D that are 2-4yrs out. Not that Jones could step right in and play in the NHL either.

I think Jones COULD step right in and play, but that he'd be better off with another year in junior to further develop too. In my opinion, the prospects that could be NHL ready are MacKinnon, Jones, Monahan and Barkov. Each exhibit the strength and speed (Barkov lacks speed but makes up for it with other aspects of his game) necessary to immediately transition to the NHL game, but each could obviously use another year to develop at the junior level to further refine their games.

In the case of Monahan and MacKinnon, they have already excelled in the juniors for two seasons, so I see no reason for them to play another year there as they could even regress due to less rigiorous training and constantly facing a lower quality of competition.

Kusic 03-05-2013 11:47 AM

I'd prefer to draft a defenseman. But yes, Yzerman will draft the best player available, so it will be probably another forward. If we don't get Jones (hope nobody get him from SE), Darnell Nurse could be an option.

The Wyzerhood 03-05-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kusic (Post 61004515)
I'd prefer to draft a defenseman. But yes, Yzerman will draft the best player available, so it will be probably another forward. If we don't get Jones (hope nobody get him from SE), Darnell Nurse could be an option.

Darnell Nurse is a great shout, if we draft in the range of 10-14. If we draft in the top 3, I would prefer to draft a forward because I feel we lack high end offensive talent. This is especially true once Marty retires and as Lecavalier inevitably declines with age. With defensemen, I feel as though plenty of gems can be found in the second/third rounds, where as high-end offensive talent is typically (not always obviously) found in the first.

TampaBolt 03-05-2013 01:14 PM

If we miss on Jones, MacKinnon would be nice. Having a 1A and 1B centers kinda like Crosby and Malkin.

The Macho Man 03-05-2013 01:41 PM

And we could finally stop relying on Vinny to produce. He may shine in a less stressful role, working on being a good defender and a 3C that can produce.

Although 7.7 is a lot to pay a 3C...

The Wyzerhood 03-05-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TampaBolt (Post 61009735)
If we miss on Jones, MacKinnon would be nice. Having a 1A and 1B centers kinda like Crosby and Malkin.

:amazed: that would be outstanding and is my hope for this team. Even Drouin with Stamkos would be something to behold and a new dynamic duo.

InjuredChoker 03-05-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemisti (Post 60998887)

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeykshade (Post 61000139)
Then we'd have to ditch some of our considerable forward depth to pick up D that don't make me long for the halcyon days of Mike Lundin, Brett Clark and Pavel (The Czech Pylon) Kubina patrolling our blue line.

Sorry, huge brain fart form me. BPA is Jones for me, Drouin is around 4th or 5th. ****ing age :sarcasm:.

jg39 03-05-2013 02:24 PM

I voted other because I don't think we'll be that bad come end of the season. We've been as good as 3rd, and as bad as 14th. Much like a stock, we will probably end up somewhere in between our high and low.

I don't think we'll be there for Jones or MacKinnon, and what I have seen of Drouin is an ability to have some impressive dangles and solid puckhandling skills. He's skates well and has speed. However, I don't see much in the way anything else.

For me, I like Elias Lindholm. If you saw any of his play at the WJC, he skates well, he backchecks, he forechecks, he hits, he dangles, he gets in front of the net, he passes, he can score. We have scorers on this team. We could use a center (if we take a center) that combines physical play with effort on both sides of the puck, and causes traffic in front.