HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   3/5 Glendale news on Coyotes sale (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1367879)

LadyStanley 03-05-2013 12:18 PM

3/5 Glendale news on Coyotes sale

http://www.glendalestar.com/news/art...a4bcf887a.html

Quote:

Current Glendale Councilmember Gary Sherwood, who appeared on KXXT 1010 AM Breakthrough Sports with Dave Issac last week, announced that the city is currently in discussion with numerous possible owners, including Greg Jamison.
“I have had a few conversations with Mr. Jamison since (the original deadline) Jan. 31 and he and the city are looking at something more in line with a 12-year deal,” Sherwood said in a phone interview. “That is definitely something that is palatable to me.”
The new deal, which is believed to be between 12-13 million per year to run Jobing.com Arena, would total between $144-156 million. The previous deal offered to Jamison was for 20-years, $320 million over the life of the deal to manage Jobing.com Arena.
Sherwood advocated taking the negotiations out of the city manager's hands and hiring a professional negotiator so that all the information could be with one person, who would then bring the information to the city.

No Fun Shogun 03-05-2013 12:22 PM

It's the song that never ends,
It just goes on and on my friends.
We just starting singing without knowing what it was,
I'm sick of typing this song so I'll just say I'll believe a sale's close to happening once the check clears.

Halifaxhab* 03-05-2013 12:45 PM

This is a farce....how many years of this tripe do those poor Yotes' fans have to endure. Eventually, this team will move, maybe not to Quebec, but Seattle or Kansas City.

tntkid 03-05-2013 12:50 PM

With realignment talk already happening I think that this franchise finally moving is close.

The NHL will deal with these two birds with one stone.

The Zetterberg Era 03-05-2013 12:53 PM

This is awful. Sorry to all the real Yotes fans, but I want this franchise gone, so tired of the pointless updates and the embarrassment this franchise is to the league.

Out of curiousity and I am sure it has been answered but is the Suns building not an option? I know they were downtown at one point. Get these bums from Glendale out of the situation if they are such a pain and you cannot leave the Phoenix area.

Killion 03-05-2013 01:32 PM

Its rumoured that Glendale has in fact already done just that, "taken the negotiations out of the City Managers hands and hired an outside negotiater" in Beacon Sports, though remains unconfirmed. Beacon is no stranger to Glendale, the Coyotes, Jerry Reinsdorf & son Michael (IFG) etc. Ideally, the city should look farther afield, perhaps a SportsCorp out of New York or whomever, and really, something they should have done years ago now, like in about late 2009. Trying to retain your franchise while dealing with insiders like Beacon, Kaites/Reinsdorf, never mind a heavyweight like the NHL, seriously outclassed, going to beaten up & badly. Too little to late perhaps, as it surely does appear to be end of days for the Coyotes in Arizona at this stage in the game. Still, with more twists & turns to this story than ever imagined, who really knows for sure? The NHL's not talkin.

LadyStanley 03-05-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era (Post 61012041)
Out of curiousity and I am sure it has been answered but is the Suns building not an option? I know they were downtown at one point. Get these bums from Glendale out of the situation if they are such a pain and you cannot leave the Phoenix area.

Terrible sitelines for hockey.

And what would COG do with an empty arena?

GuelphStormer 03-05-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 61016825)
And what would COG do with an empty arena?

high school graduations and that idol show the kids like, naturally. :)

Killion 03-05-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyStanley (Post 61016825)
Terrible sitelines for hockey.... And what would COG do with an empty arena?

... not to mention having left downtown to begin with as their lease with Colangelo was far from favourable. The only other possible venue at that time (and still could be but for the fact a beautiful state of the art building exists in Glendale) was/is the War Vets Memorial Arena on the Az State Fair Grounds in Phoenix. That building hosted the WHA & IHL Roadrunners. In retrospect, wouldve been prudent to have moved into it in 96 rather than the then new as it was called AWA, controlled the building & revenues entirely, cultivated the fan base & sponsors etc, then gone to the cities of Phoenix or Scottsdale looking to build a replacement.

Yukon Joe 03-05-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era (Post 61012041)
This is awful. Sorry to all the real Yotes fans, but I want this franchise gone, so tired of the pointless updates and the embarrassment this franchise is to the league.

The entire reason they are staying is that the arena owners want them team to stay, and are prepared to sign a generous lease to ensure they do.

Otherwise you have the Atlanta situation - when the arena owners don't want you, you are easily moved.

silvercanuck 03-05-2013 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halifaxhab (Post 61011529)
This is a farce....how many years of this tripe do those poor Yotes' fans have to endure. Eventually, this team will move, maybe not to Quebec, but Seattle or Kansas City.

lets hope.

JMROWE 03-05-2013 03:42 PM

This Coyotes fiasco has gone on for almost 4 years now its time for the NHL. to bite the bullet & sell the coyotes to the highest bidder who will move the coyotes to a more profitble market . This whole fiasco could have been avoided if Gary Bettman & NHL. BOG. just have made a deal with Jim Balsille to buy & move the coyotes to Hamilton insted they let there folisih pride get in the way of makking a good business decision now there stuck with a bad product they can't sell or even give away to anyone that willing to keep the coyotes in Arizona . In my opinion there are 4 cities that can take the coyotes right now thoses cities are .

Hamilton
Quebec City
Seattle
Kansas City

rojac 03-05-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMROWE (Post 61022781)
This Coyotes fiasco has gone on for almost 4 years now its time for the NHL. to bite the bullet & sell the coyotes to the highest bidder who will move the coyotes to a more profitble market . This whole fiasco could have been avoided if Gary Bettman & NHL. BOG. just have made a deal with Jim Balsille to buy & move the coyotes to Hamilton insted they let there folisih pride get in the way of makking a good business decision now there stuck with a bad product they can't sell or even give away to anyone that willing to keep the coyotes in Arizona . In my opinion there are 4 cities that can take the coyotes right now thoses cities are .

Hamilton
Quebec City
Seattle
Kansas City

Perhaps if Balsillie had just been trying to buy the Coyotes in a normal transaction, a deal could have been worked out. But instead, he decided to team up with Richard Rodier to try to bypass the NHL bylaws by buying a team out of bankruptcy. And personally, I think the NHL should have Hamilton on a "never give this city a team" list because the city threw in with Balsillie and Rodier.

CHRDANHUTCH 03-05-2013 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMROWE (Post 61022781)

Hamilton
Quebec City
Seattle
Kansas City

Hamilton's off the market now you signed the extension w/ GS & THE Canadiens/Bulldogs

KC fuddegabouit

superdeluxe 03-05-2013 05:35 PM

Seattle will have your answer by April 18th

Killion 03-05-2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rojac (Post 61027561)
Perhaps if Balsillie had just been trying to buy the Coyotes in a normal transaction, a deal could have been worked out.... And personally, I think the NHL should have Hamilton on a "never give this city a team" list because the city threw in with Balsillie and Rodier.

Well, last bit's pretty harsh, dont go along with that one, but the rest, ya. Though after his triangulations in Pittsburgh, no chance he'd have been permitted to have purchased Nashville let alone Phoenix. Had he played the game the way the NHL expects its owners to do so, bought the Penguins, made a real go of it, let the league know quietly that he'd like first crack at buying the next available beyond distressed franchise available with Hamilton the destination while lobbying Toronto & Buffalo its possible. The Thrashers wind up there instead of Winnipeg, he sells his interests in the Pens or Preds'. Or maybe he buys the Sabres with an absolute no relo clause. Outbids Pegula. Its not as if Buffalo's all that far away from his then centre of KW & Hamilton. The guy unfortunately wouldnt play by the rules, litigious as all Hell, just the way he is, nothing stopping him from trying, his prerogative to do so, had his final Waterloo in Glendale.

aqib 03-05-2013 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rojac (Post 61027561)
Perhaps if Balsillie had just been trying to buy the Coyotes in a normal transaction, a deal could have been worked out. But instead, he decided to team up with Richard Rodier to try to bypass the NHL bylaws by buying a team out of bankruptcy. And personally, I think the NHL should have Hamilton on a "never give this city a team" list because the city threw in with Balsillie and Rodier.

The had to go through bankruptcy in order to void the lease. Its called "rejecting the lease"

kdb209 03-05-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH (Post 61028183)
Hamilton's off the market now you signed the extension w/ GS & THE Canadiens/Bulldogs

Sigh.

How are the Bulldogs an insurmountable impediment to an NHL team at Copps - other than potentially one NO vote on relocation/expansion from the Habs.

Killion 03-05-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdb209 (Post 61031453)
Sigh.

How are the Bulldogs an insurmountable impediment to an NHL team at Copps - other than potentially one NO vote on relocation/expansion from the Habs.

... well, HUTCH already explained that to you kdb. Same thing as Houston. So long as the Aero's exist, Minnesota Sports & Entertainment wont permit NHL entry into the market. Same thing with Montreal & Hamilton. You know that. :D

rt 03-05-2013 06:49 PM

http://hrminion.com/wp-content/uploa...undhog_day.jpg

ugh...

zack40 03-05-2013 08:03 PM

The yotes financial situation is worse then when winnipeg and quebec left. Bettman still want to keep the team there, even if the situation is different it's not fair.

Glacial 03-05-2013 08:12 PM

You know a city is messed up when a news article has to preface Councilmember with "current" (suggesting that some former Councilmembers are active in the headlines or are more active than their present 'post' might suggest). Hiring a professional negotiator is a smart thing... so long as they can be sure they have no vested interests. Wouldn't put it past anyone to have a 'negotiator' for the city actually be a double-dealing negotiator who uses his position as a one-two scam with a buyer to get the city to agree to a bad deal for the city. That looks like a plot right out an upcoming episode of The Coyotes Ownership Saga. No mention of how credible Jamison is if he wants to collect a hefty ownership stake for investing a buck or less on the team (whose dime is he traveling on? His? The NHL? The Sharks?).

Killion 03-05-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zack40 (Post 61047381)
The yotes financial situation is worse then when winnipeg and quebec left. Bettman still want to keep the team there, even if the situation is different it's not fair.

ya, was hard for people from Winnipeg & now of course more so from Quebec what with the initial loss of the Diques, new building on the way etc to deal with. Had the Atlanta Spirit Group not forced the sale of the Thrashers, the Coyotes would have already been sold & moved to Manitoba. Whats kept them put has been the largesse of the City of Glendale over the past 4 seasons, and with those taps now seemingly exhausted & turned off, I expect the team will be moving come May/June, the only destination making sense in terms of suitable temporary facility, ability to line up sponsors & sell-out in short order, June through October being Quebec City. I guess we'll see.

Rabbit 03-05-2013 08:15 PM

I hate this. If you're gonna pull the trigger, pull the trigger. Dont just stand there with a gun to my head.

#coyotesfansproblems

RussianFive 03-05-2013 08:21 PM

I feel sorry for the genuine Coyotes fans. All the involved parties here are simply delaying the inevitable fact that the team will almost certainly be relocated at some point, if not this summer, then probably next. I'm sure sports economists and public administration academics will be using the Coyotes-Glendale story as a case study for years to come.