HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Seven game series that weren't close at all (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1367927)

Dontdive 03-05-2013 01:54 PM

Seven game series that weren't close at all

Take the Boston-Vancouver finals of just a few years back. Yes, it went to seven games, but the Canucks barely won the games they did, and the Bruins crushed the Canucks in the games they won. Yes, I know the Canucks had injuries (and all the other excuses), but that doesn't change the fact that in overall gameplay the Bruins were a lot better.

I'm sure people can come up with even better examples though. What is yours?

TheStroker 03-05-2013 02:11 PM

Habs vs Bruins

TheDevilMadeMe 03-05-2013 02:33 PM

2003 finals were the same way. Devils crushed the Ducks in NJ (I think only 1 of the 4 games was close) and the Ducks won 3 close games in Anaheim.

Skobel24 03-05-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe (Post 61014579)
2003 finals were the same way. Devils crushed the Ducks in NJ (I think only 1 of the 4 games was close) and the Ducks won 3 close games in Anaheim.

Winner winner, Chicken dinner.

Giguere kept them alive in that series.

jigglysquishy 03-05-2013 04:10 PM

Canucks were up 2-0 and 3-2. Many of us thought Vancouver was going to win. It was definitely close.

GuineaPig 03-05-2013 04:14 PM

I remember the Penguins/Lightning series in 2011 being really one-sided. Even though the Penguins lost, they massively outplayed Tampa. I think they got like 60% of the shots or something.

cam042686 03-05-2013 04:25 PM

How about the 1977 Avco Finals? There was only 2 close games - Winnipeg won Game 1, 2-1 and Quebec won Game 4, 4-2. The rest of the series was a shoot-out. Quebec won Game 5, 8-3. Winnipeg crushed them in Game 6, 12-3 and Game 7 was a Nordique 8-2 victory.

Craig Wallace

Mike Farkas 03-05-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

First series that came to mind. It seemed like the Devils were the only team that realized how to score on Giguere: just don't hit the pile of equipment sitting in the crease.

King Forsberg 03-05-2013 05:00 PM

2011 Flyers - Sabres ECQF

Wizeman* 03-05-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dontdive (Post 61012081)
Take the Boston-Vancouver finals of just a few years back. Yes, it went to seven games, but the Canucks barely won the games they did, and the Bruins crushed the Canucks in the games they won. Yes, I know the Canucks had injuries (and all the other excuses), but that doesn't change the fact that in overall gameplay the Bruins were a lot better.

I agree that it wasnt that close but Boston still won somehow anyways despite being pathetically over matched in talent. They had to resort to gooning.:shakehead

Ishdul 03-05-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizeman (Post 61024159)
I agree that it wasnt that close but Boston still won somehow anyways despite being pathetically over matched in talent. They had to resort to gooning.:shakehead

Boston is not at all a good example of a low talent team. They were not pathetically overmatched in talent in the slightest, having arguably both the best goalie and best defenseman in the league to go along with a fairly strong group of forwards, and have shown stability as an elite team for a few years now. It's also ridiculous to point to gooning as the reason for winning 4 games by a combined score of 21-3, unless you have the world's highest opinion of Shawn Thornton ever recorded.

Schalkenullvier* 03-05-2013 05:56 PM

not to mention the canucks were responsible for most of the goonery in that series

Stars and Bolts 03-05-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Thought of this series too. The Devils won all 4 of their games at home by 3 goals, while the Ducks won games 3 and 4 in OT and won game 6 big by winning 5-2. Add to the fact that game 3 was decided by Brodeur's gaffe. Not once did I think the Ducks had a shot in this series.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Farkas (Post 61022027)
First series that came to mind. It seemed like the Devils were the only team that realized how to score on Giguere: just don't hit the pile of equipment sitting in the crease.

Haha pretty much, especially when they won game 5 6-3.

MadLuke 03-05-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheStroker (Post 61013245)
Habs vs Bruins

The last Habs vs bruins was kind of strange, could not have got in 7 with Chara and thomas playing well from day one.

But than againt it did go on overtime of game 7 IIRC, with Cammalleri scoring at the end of the third period.

Big Phil 03-05-2013 10:04 PM

Washington/Montreal 2010. The Caps lose in 7 games and even needed overtime to win Game 2 to tie the series but that was just window dressing to how this series really went. The shots were 42-16 for Washington in Game 7. Halak did as much highway robbery as I have ever seen. It gets better. The shots were 54-21 in Game 6. I know a lot of people blamed Ovechkin for not carrying the Caps but he was all over the place that series and I thought he did everything humanly possible to help them win. Halak was just in that "zone" that a goalie can get into. This is the last time we saw Ovechkin play that way again. After 2010 he has never been the same player.

Hammer Time 03-05-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizeman (Post 61024159)

Boston outscored the Canucks at even strength, outscored the Canucks on their own PP, and outscored the Canucks while killing Canuck PPs. They also had a two-time Vezina winner and a perennial Norris candidate on their team - if that's your definition of lack of talent, then I really wish my team was so under-talented.

Jinsell 03-06-2013 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishdul (Post 61025671)
Boston is not at all a good example of a low talent team. They were not pathetically overmatched in talent in the slightest, having arguably both the best goalie and best defenseman in the league to go along with a fairly strong group of forwards, and have shown stability as an elite team for a few years now. It's also ridiculous to point to gooning as the reason for winning 4 games by a combined score of 21-3, unless you have the world's highest opinion of Shawn Thornton ever recorded.

This.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier (Post 61027119)
not to mention the canucks were responsible for most of the goonery in that series

Give me a break. Both teams were equally responsible for that circus of a Stanley Cup Finals.

TTOMO 03-06-2013 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dontdive (Post 61012081)

Nope, I think this one is the best example there is. Just a very odd series, and the Canucks didn't belong on the same ice.

Tkachuk4MVP 03-06-2013 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Phil (Post 61060401)
Washington/Montreal 2010. The Caps lose in 7 games and even needed overtime to win Game 2 to tie the series but that was just window dressing to how this series really went. The shots were 42-16 for Washington in Game 7. Halak did as much highway robbery as I have ever seen. It gets better. The shots were 54-21 in Game 6. I know a lot of people blamed Ovechkin for not carrying the Caps but he was all over the place that series and I thought he did everything humanly possible to help them win. Halak was just in that "zone" that a goalie can get into. This is the last time we saw Ovechkin play that way again. After 2010 he has never been the same player.

This is the first one I thought of as well. The Caps were the better team in that series by a wide margin, Halak just played out of his mind. It's a shame that franchise didn't have the patience to stay the course after '09-10 because all of the tools for a Cup winner were still in place.

GuineaPig 03-07-2013 03:39 AM

To go even farther with the thread concept, the 2006 series between the Senators and Sabres was really one-sided, even though the Sabres ended up winning in 5. Ottawa outshot Buffalo 169-119.

RapidFire 03-07-2013 04:30 AM

In 2009 the Red Wings dominated the Ducks play-wise and even outshot them by an average of 16.5 shots per game. Somehow the Wings only outscored them by 5 in the 7 games

Mad Max 03-07-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

This. The Devils outscored the Ducks in games 1, 2, 5, and 7 by a combined 15-3. The Ducks outscored the Devils in games 3, 4, and 6 by a combined 9-4. And 2 of the 3 went to overtime.

The only reason the series went 7 was because of the fluke goal Marty gave up in game 3. Devils should have won easily in 5.