HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   IIHF proposal: A "Ryder Cup" between North America and Europe (Post #30 for link) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1368247)

Petey21 03-05-2013 05:36 PM

IIHF proposal: A "Ryder Cup" between North America and Europe (Post #30 for link)

I just read in Swedish news that IIHF president René Fasel has an idea about a proposed "Ryder Cup style" tournament between North America and Europe instead of a new World Cup, not very detailed information so far though except he suggested a best of 7-format, probably between some kind of "All Star teams" from said continents.

I searched for such a topic on here and found some similar idea from a couple years ago about Bob Nicholson proposing a similar idea but between the US and Canada. That's pretty much all the info I have so far, but how do you guys like that idea?

EDIT: Here's a Google Translate version of the article, originally from Swedish tabloid Expressen.

http://translate.google.com/translat...cup%2F&act=url

jigglysquishy 03-05-2013 05:40 PM

Don't like it. I feel no brotherhood with Americans. It also removes my two favorite parts of international hockey: cheering on Canada and beating the Yanks.

saskriders 03-05-2013 05:44 PM

Seems interesting, but would they be able to do something other than just a regular game (like how in the Ryder Cup there are different types of golf)

Kane One 03-05-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 61029545)
Don't like it. I feel no brotherhood with Americans. It also removes my two favorite parts of international hockey: cheering on Canada and beating the Yanks.

As an American, I'm the exact opposite. I generally root for Canada when they aren't playing USA. But even still, I don't like this Ryder Cup thing.

joelef 03-05-2013 05:53 PM

so basically it would still make hockey a north american and some of europe thing.

lush 03-05-2013 06:00 PM

As a hockey fan I have a hard time claiming that I wouldn't watch something like this, especially if it was in late August sort of thing like the World Cup -but I don't really like the idea. If the teams are composed of multiple nations, it's hard to be nationalistic and seems more like a North America vs the World all star game. Who runs the training camp and picks the rosters? It seems like a gimmick to me. I don't have any better suggestions though so that may be telling.

Frank the Tank 03-05-2013 06:06 PM

Good luck having Hockey Canada agree to a situation where either they a) cede control of a NA team to an American GM or b) have to justify to legions of Canadian fans why they chose Patrick Kane over a comparable Canadian player.

tarheelhockey 03-05-2013 06:31 PM

It's not that I don't feel affinity for Canada -- I like 'em just fine -- but there's no emotional impulse for me to want to side with them in an international tournament. I'd imagine that Swedes feel the same about Slovaks, Russians about Finns, etc. The whole thing would feel very forced, at least to me.

The Ryder Cup has always struck me as strange for the same reason.

Fugu 03-05-2013 06:39 PM

No thank you. NHL season is already too long. (And to the OP, haven't heard a thing.)

saffronleaf 03-05-2013 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parker McDonald (Post 61030021)
As an American, I'm the exact opposite. I generally root for Canada when they aren't playing USA. But even still, I don't like this Ryder Cup thing.

Don't worry, most of us Canucks love y'all Yanks.

CoolForumNamePending 03-05-2013 06:47 PM

Finally!!! What took someone so long...

...to come up with an idea that seems even more contrived and arbitrary than turning the Olympic tournament into a U23 competition?

cutchemist42 03-05-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoolForumNamePending (Post 61035589)
Finally!!! What took someone so long...

...to come up with an idea that seems even more contrived and arbitrary than turning the Olympic tournament into a U23 competition?

Yeah, not sure if I want this to replace the Olympic tourney. It would be fun as an exhibition, and the best of 7 format is something new.

epo 03-05-2013 07:14 PM

The quality of hockey won't improve enough over the big national teams.

rj 03-05-2013 07:21 PM

if we're doing something like this, I'd just say forget Europe and have a best-of-seven between the U.S. and Canadian national teams.

TheStinger 03-05-2013 07:25 PM

Lol, yeah do this and watch Europe win 7 out of 7. The overall depth of quality in Europe is far better than in the US and Canada, just on numbers alone.

chasespace 03-05-2013 07:30 PM

How would you determine the roster? Would you split it evenly amongst the countries so they all have equal representation? That wouldn't be fair for either side.

Would you take the best players available? That wouldn't be fair for either side either.

GKJ 03-05-2013 07:37 PM

North America vs. the World ran it's course in the All Star Game.

MountainHawk 03-05-2013 07:43 PM

This would be cool once or twice, but then it would get old.

Brodie 03-05-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 61033223)

The Ryder Cup has always struck me as strange for the same reason.

The Ryder Cup was originally a US/UK thing, which made a lot more sense. It was expanded because of a decline in the quality of British and Irish golfers as well as the rise of several Spanish stars... basically, it needed the whole of Europe to stay relevant

jiggsawpuzzle35 03-05-2013 08:31 PM

Dumb idea. You already have the World Championships during April. These guys have played enough hockey for the year. They gotta shut it down in the summer and come back healthy during camp in September. I don't want someone from the Ducks getting injured because of this useless tournament.

v-man 03-05-2013 08:45 PM

There's no purpose for such a tournament, nor is there a demand for it. It's not going to bring new fans to the sport, and will essentially only be a pointless spectacle that will put players at risk of unnecessary injury. The Ryder Cup only exists because there are not enough countries strong enough in the sport to compete in a true international championship. That's not the case for hockey. If they want another best-on-best in the summer time, then bring back the World Cup, expand it to 12 teams and make it an officially sanctioned IIHF event in lieu of a World Championship that year (the #13-16 teams can play in a separate round robin tournament for seeding and relegation purposes in those years). This Euro/NA tournament would just be pointless, emotionless shinny.

silvercanuck 03-05-2013 08:50 PM

Fasel is such a moron. How he heads any organization is beyond me.

kalessin 03-05-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodie (Post 61044443)
The Ryder Cup was originally a US/UK thing, which made a lot more sense. It was expanded because of a decline in the quality of British and Irish golfers as well as the rise of several Spanish stars... basically, it needed the whole of Europe to stay relevant

Also the Ryder Cup works cause Europeans will always put aside their differences to beat the Yanks.

Pilky01 03-05-2013 09:33 PM

Wow. One of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard.

"Hey, let's take a failed all star game format and stretch it out over seven games" :shakehead

If this is the level of thinking coming from the IIHF, I understand a lot better why the NHL gives them so little respect.

NorthernILHawksFan 03-06-2013 12:17 AM

Not sure how I feel about this (although let's not kid, I'd watch it).

I actually really liked the NA vs. world format. I'd be all for bringing it back. Although, just call it N.A. vs Europe.