HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Goaltending prospect(s) to Pittsburgh (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1369331)

Shrimper 03-06-2013 06:34 PM

Goaltending prospect(s) to Pittsburgh

One of Pittsburgh weakest spots in my opinion other than their Forward depth is their lack of goaltending prospects.

Currently for Pittsburgh we have Marc-Andre Fleury and Tomas Vokoun. Vokoun is on a $2m contract with another year after this but If he plays as he is right now for the rest of the season I could see him being bought out. Behind him in the AHL team is Brad Thiessen and Jeff Zatkoff. Thiessen has had a few games already for Pittsburgh but didn't do well and struggled and I wouldn't be confident with him as a back-up. Zatkoff is doing well for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and could be given the gig in the future.

We drafted two goalies last year in Scott Murray and Sean Maguire and we also have rights to Patrick Killeen (ECHL goalie - won't make it). Scott Murray and Maguire are a few years away from even making it close.

So - who could we get?

quins 03-06-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shrimper (Post 61120165)
One of Pittsburgh weakest spots in my opinion other than their Forward depth is their lack of goaltending prospects.

Currently for Pittsburgh we have Marc-Andre Fleury and Tomas Vokoun. Vokoun is on a $2m contract with another year after this but If he plays as he is right now for the rest of the season I could see him being bought out. Behind him in the AHL team is Brad Thiessen and Jeff Zatkoff. Thiessen has had a few games already for Pittsburgh but didn't do well and struggled and I wouldn't be confident with him as a back-up. Zatkoff is doing well for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and could be given the gig in the future.

We drafted two goalies last year in Scott Murray and Sean Maguire and we also have rights to Patrick Killeen (ECHL goalie - won't make it). Scott Murray and Maguire are a few years away from even making it close.

So - who could we get?

I think it's Matthew Murray

Fastasaurus 03-06-2013 06:39 PM

Svedberg and Cross for Pouliot and Matta?

Beezeral 03-06-2013 06:53 PM

I can't remember the last time a team went out and gave up assets to acquire their goalie of the future when there wasn't a current need at the NHL level. Odds are the penguins either keep up the status quo or address the issue in the draft.

Le Magnifique 66 03-06-2013 07:20 PM

Murray is playing great in SSM, I wouldn't panic yet. Shero got a few during last years draft

Crafton 03-06-2013 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beezeral (Post 61121387)
I can't remember the last time a team went out and gave up assets to acquire their goalie of the future when there wasn't a current need at the NHL level. Odds are the penguins either keep up the status quo or address the issue in the draft.

this. no need to get gauged on the trade market. adding Jeff Zatkoff, Sean Maguire and Matt Murray in a SINGLE offseason was a nice influx of talent into the system.

Captain Hook 03-06-2013 07:32 PM

I think they're fine.

Zatkoff has a 1.90GA and 0.921 SV/% in the minors. Not a bad emergency option.

Murray and Maguire are in the system as long-term projects.

Exit Dose 03-06-2013 07:34 PM

Address it in the draft. Goalie prospects aren't worth much in trade, and most teams prefer holding onto theirs.

Sutter16 03-06-2013 07:35 PM

I think Murray may turn out to be a steal. I know its very early but what he's 6'4"? He's a project but he might turn out.

Big McLargehuge 03-06-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beezeral (Post 61121387)

The perfect post nice and early in the thread.

The Penguins just spent 3rd & 4th rounders on goalies in the last draft, have one of the better goalies in the AHL this season signed through next season, and have no need at the NHL level.

Prospect swaps are rare...goalie prospect swaps just about never happen. They're too much of a wildcard.

Adirondack Flames 03-06-2013 08:31 PM

Leland Irving.

He is much better than he gets credit for, but he seems to have lost his place in the organization. Now with Kiprusoff back, MacDonald as the backup and now Danny Taylor being sent back to Abbotsford he will be the backup in Abbotsford at best.

He will be a UFA this summber due to the number of games he has played, but I am certain he will sign somewhere if they are willing to give him a chance again. The asking price would be minimal as well.

Worst case for the Pens you let him walk after the season, best case he turns things around and looks like he did last year.

Say Irving for a 6th or 7th round pick?

wunderpanda 03-06-2013 08:42 PM

Enroth for Cooke

SomeDude 03-06-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat (Post 61129319)
Leland Irving.

He is much better than he gets credit for, but he seems to have lost his place in the organization. Now with Kiprusoff back, MacDonald as the backup and now Danny Taylor being sent back to Abbotsford he will be the backup in Abbotsford at best.

He will be a UFA this summber due to the number of games he has played, but I am certain he will sign somewhere if they are willing to give him a chance again. The asking price would be minimal as well.

Worst case for the Pens you let him walk after the season, best case he turns things around and looks like he did last year.

Say Irving for a 6th or 7th round pick?

Irving wouldn't be a good fit for the Pens. He deserves to get a look at the NHL level, and he's not going to pass Vokoun, even though he's been really bad the last couple of games it doesn't wash out a career of being a very good goalie, and we already have 2 very capable AHL goalies.

As had been said already, there's really no need. Murray is a project, but has NHL starter upside, and we've yet to see Zatkoff at the NHL level. Shero said a few years ago he likes to add a goalie prospect every year, and he's done that either by college ufa (Theissen), trade (Modig), or drafting. You have to figure that eventually one of them will turn out and be able to stick as a back up, and if not, Fleury isn't old by any means and there's always capable backups in free agency every year.

Beezeral 03-06-2013 09:15 PM

only time you see a prospect swap is when it is clear that both players need a change of scenery and at that point its unlikely you can really consider the player still a prospect

Chris Butler 03-06-2013 09:46 PM

IMO, the Flames may have one of the best goalie prospect pools in the league. Leland Irving isn't going to fit in Calgary so he can probably had for cheap. Joni Ortio is one of the top goalies in the SM liiga, Kari Ramo is carrying Avangard in the KHL and is arguably the leagues best goalie, Lauraunt Brossoit is one of the top goalies in the CHL for the Oil Kings while Jon Gilles is an elite goalie in the NCAA for Providence... Each of those goalie prospects are elite goalies in their respective leagues so we can probably afford to deal one away :)

domaug* 03-06-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastasaurus (Post 61120449)
Svedberg and Cross for Pouliot and Matta?

that doesn't even look close

Sergei Shirokov 03-06-2013 10:35 PM

We have Eddie Lack, he could be had since we have Joe Cannata who is also looking like another very nice goaltending prospect. Aswell as us having Schneider here for the meantime and near future since Lack is almost NHL ready.

it would take a high end prospect coming back though since Lack is one of the best goaltending prospects in the league.

Tender Rip 03-06-2013 10:53 PM

I hope Pens 'simply' sign a promising goalie in Europe in the off season and deal Vokoun to a team that needs an 1A/B solution. With a one year contract at 2 million, this shouldn't be impossible, although of course Vokoun would have to agree as he has an NTC.

I still think Vokoun will come useful to the Pens this season and for the majority his bad outings have coincided with terrible defense also. But his past record did indicate that he thrives with consistent games and a high workload, and he isn't going to get that in Pittsburgh.

couture23 03-06-2013 11:21 PM

Draft a goalie this year - problem solved. Comrie would be a great pick up in the second round. Or sign a goalie FA like with what the Sabres did with Andrey Makarov.

PensFan68 03-06-2013 11:41 PM

I think things for the Pens will remain the same for quite some time. Fleury will be the starter, and we'll go out and get a vet backup. At some point I'd think we'll give a young guy the backup role, but I think for the next few years we'll be seeing a vet backup.

drizzydrew22* 03-06-2013 11:55 PM

Quote:

So - who could we get?

i dont think many teams are losing sleep at night bc their worrying about goaltender prospects especially the penguins, WB/S have the best goaltender duo and defense in the league and after that i dont think it matters to much

Jets 03-07-2013 01:00 AM

Vokoun for Dekanich + Montoya?

Vokoun would be perfect for Ondrej. He needs to be pushed/mentored at the same time, why not by a veteran countryman?

domaug* 03-07-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jets (Post 61146859)

Vokoun would be perfect for Ondrej. He needs to be pushed/mentored at the same time, why not by a veteran countryman?

Dekanich is 26, not really a prospect anymore (let alone Montoya). that said, i'd consider it but most likely decline it.

Tender Rip 03-07-2013 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jets (Post 61146859)

Don't go overpaying now.....

Honour Over Glory 03-07-2013 02:10 AM

Quote:

So - who could we get?

Um, Jeff Zatkoff is a top 5 guy in the AHL right now and like you mentioned as well, we have Murray and Maguire. And Scott Murray? Lol, who?

If Shero feels he needs more, he can go after Parker Milner (Pittsburgh boy and a damn good College goaltender).

Don't need to trade for any. Not yet anyway.