HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Hodgson Trade Discussion (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1369555)

Tiranis 03-06-2013 10:43 PM

Hodgson Trade Discussion
 
Ok, due to much demand, this thread is back. Have at it, but please be respectful.

Drop the Sopel 03-06-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scurr (Post 61140147)
I agree with you about Hodgson's work ethic, at least when it comes to scoring. IMO Kassian showed the same thing this offseason and made huge strides. So if he can be as committed to improving as Hodgson... along with his greater physical gifts... and he's a much better team guy... it's not hard to see how we win in the end.

The problem with proclaiming us winners if Kassian is as good as Hodgson in 3 years is the fact that the next 3 years could be this organizations best chance to win the cup in the next 2 or 3 decades. Having the superior player now is extremely valuable and has to play into the decision of whether or not we 'won' the trade.

I don't begrudge Gillis for dealing Hodgson. If a player is being a malcontent it forces your hand. It's the notion that we built him up to be better than he was that I find makes Gillis look silly. Especially now when Hodgson sits 4th in the NHL in even strength points behind Crosby, Stamkos and E. Staal.

As of right now, it's hard to say we're even money or better to win this trade. It's possible, just not probable.

Taelin 03-06-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim McCracken (Post 61140899)
You can't talk one without the other, they'll be connected for the rest of their careers. I like Kassian but I'm not so sure AV is the coach who will get the best from him. It pains me to say it but a Carlyle would be a better fit for that.

I'm just ****ing sick of reading about Hodgson this and Hodgson that on the Canucks forum. You would think he was the guy that said "I love you" and then proceeded never to call you again after that one night, judging by the way some people pine after him.

We just need to give Kassian time...as we did with Bertuzzi.

Johnny Canucker 03-06-2013 10:48 PM

Ever since he wanted his name pronounced all fancy, I stopped liking him.

Flik 03-06-2013 10:49 PM

Good player, sad to see him go. Wish him the best.

Glad we got a good player in return, happy to watch him grow.

Scurr 03-06-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel (Post 61141021)
The problem with proclaiming us winners if Kassian is as good as Hodgson in 3 years is the fact that the next 3 years could be this organizations best chance to win the cup in the next 2 or 3 decades. Having the superior player now is extremely valuable and has to play into the decision of whether or not we 'won' the trade.

Hodgson is every bit the long-term project that Kassian is. You can't trust the kid defensively, he's not ready to play a prominent role on a good team. You can't hide centre's in the playoffs. I disagree he's the superior player now, our coach wouldn't put the kid on the ice the way he's playing defensively, nor should he. The idea is to win hockey games... not have pretty boy out there racking up stats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel (Post 61141021)
I don't begrudge Gillis for dealing Hodgson. If a player is being a malcontent it forces your hand. It's the notion that we built him up to be better than he was that I find makes Gillis look silly. Especially now when Hodgson sits 4th in the NHL in even strength points behind Crosby, Stamkos and E. Staal.

You're projecting, Gillis never said that or anything close to it. They built up his value is not the same as they built him to be something he's not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel (Post 61141021)
As of right now, it's hard to say we're even money or better to win this trade. It's possible, just not probable.

I guess it depends where you're sitting because imo we've already won.

Wizeman* 03-06-2013 10:52 PM

I have no idea why an actual Canuck fan would care about this anymore. A Hodgson fan maybe, but a fan of this hockey team?

Not at this point .

luongo321 03-06-2013 10:53 PM



:cry: :cry: :cry:

Not gonna lie, the day Cody Hodgson was traded was one of the most upset days I have ever had. That hit me worse than losing the Cup.

Hansen 36 03-06-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker (Post 61141229)
Ever since he wanted his name pronounced all fancy, I stopped liking him.

You probably don't like that cocky Nick Yensen either eh? :sarcasm:

me2 03-06-2013 10:55 PM

Here's the thing peeps - salary cap + lower UFA. It's not like you lose these guys forever and never get a chance to sign a decent young player again. You'd think we were back in the 80/90s with 31 yo UFAs making twice the salary of 24 yo. Decent 24yos are getting the same coin as UFAs, the advantage is far less because it's all about capspace in todays world. Roy and Ribiero are about as UFAs they bring the same production Hodgson does.

Besides which Erik Karlsson is much better than Hodgson. Complain about how Hodgson cost us Karlsson if you want something to complain about.

BoHorvatFan 03-06-2013 10:58 PM

We traded the better hockey player. That is all there is to it. Hodgson plays a more important position, is more skilled. ''But we need to beat Boston'' lol.

Barney Gumble 03-06-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel (Post 61134033)
Name the last Canuck that showed that much improvement in that amount of time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel (Post 61139777)
Neither play showed a greater leap forward in a 2 season span. Though they are 2 of the better comparables out there.

http://www.beijingboyce.com/wp-conte...l-playoffs.jpg

Drop the Sopel 03-06-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scurr (Post 61141471)
Hodgson is every bit the long-term project that Kassian is.

You're projecting, Gillis never said that or anything close to it. They built up his value is not the same as they built him to be something he's not.

I guess it depends where you're sitting because imo we've already won.

Strongly disagree with all 3 points.

Hodgson is clearly the better player at this point IMO.

Building up a player's value is saying you made them look better than they were.

I don't know how we've won the trade with a huge surplus of wingers, no centre depth and Kassian toiling on the 3rd and 4th line.

LiquidSnake* 03-06-2013 11:01 PM

RFA end of season.

"My dad told me I'm as good as Stamkos if someone just let me hang out at the other teams' blueline. So I want $8.0mil a year for 5 years. I'm willing to take a discount here if you give me Perraults #11. I'll take 8.0mil for that"

Barney Gumble 03-06-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel (Post 61142041)
Strongly disagree with all 3 points.

Hodgson is clearly the better player at this point IMO.

Probably more "fair" to compare Hodgson of last season to Kassian of this season (given age/draft year). Both times, players are/were "under the thumb" of AV.

Johnny Canucker 03-06-2013 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel (Post 61142041)
Strongly disagree with all 3 points.

Hodgson is clearly the better player at this point IMO.

Building up a player's value is saying you made them look better than they were.

I don't know how we've won the trade with a huge surplus of wingers, no centre depth and Kassian toiling on the 3rd and 4th line.

This.

LiquidSnake* 03-06-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Gumble (Post 61142187)
Probably more "fair" to compare Hodgson of last season to Kassian of this season (given age/draft year). Both times, players are/were "under the thumb" of AV.

The difference here is that Hodgson could do absolutely no wrong last season to our fans. He could give up the puck 6 times a shift and there would be a ready made excuse.

Not sure why anyone thought Kassian would keep it up all season long. I stick to my 10 goals 10 assist season would be a success for him.

Drop the Sopel 03-06-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Gumble (Post 61142187)
Probably more "fair" to compare Hodgson of last season to Kassian of this season (given age/draft year). Both times, players are/were "under the thumb" of AV.

That is better when comparing the players head to head but when deciding who won the trade we have to look at what contributions we would have got from these players, last year and this year. Hodgson being a year older and further along in his development is what makes the trade look worse...

Johnny Canucker 03-06-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hansen 36 (Post 61141653)
You probably don't like that cocky Nick Yensen either eh? :sarcasm:

Hes on the list.

Michalek
Nemchinov
Pariseeeee

All cocky SOBs

Barney Gumble 03-06-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel (Post 61142633)
That is better when comparing the players head to head but when deciding who won the trade we have to look at what contributions we would have got from these players, last year and this year. Hodgson being a year older and further along in his development is what makes the trade look worse...

What made this trade worse is that Gillis didn't bother on filling that hole he created by dealing Hodgson (center). Pahlsson wasn't a solution - either short or long-term wise.

I don't disagree that we didn't need to add muscle to our lineup but you aren't accomplishing much if you fix one hole by creating another.

y2kcanucks 03-06-2013 11:11 PM

Wouldn't Hodgson be perfect on this team right now?

kevinsane 03-06-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taelin (Post 61141039)
I'm just ****ing sick of reading about Hodgson this and Hodgson that on the Canucks forum. You would think he was the guy that said "I love you" and then proceeded never to call you again after that one night, judging by the way some people pine after him.

We just need to give Kassian time...as we did with Bertuzzi.

This. Can we please just move the **** ON??!! Good God, whats next??!! 100+ pages about how we should've gotten Gilbert Perrault? The Cam Neely Trade Discussion?

No mas.

Johnny Canucker 03-06-2013 11:13 PM

I think 90% of us hope Hodgson doesnt do well secretly, so we can justify this trade. lol

Verviticus 03-06-2013 11:14 PM

i liked hodgson because he had a ridiculously good slapshot and had a penchant for nailing it right off the post and in - i like it not because it was a good shot but because it sounded good

to be honest if we kept him and he got 10g/10a but every one of those goals was a PING! SCORES goal id be happy

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 61142877)
Wouldn't Hodgson be perfect on this team right now?

NO HEART. HEARTYLESS. SOFT FLOAT. GIMME SHANE DOAN

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiranis (Post 61140917)
Have at it, but please be respectful.

oops. whatever

Barney Gumble 03-06-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevinsane (Post 61142921)
This. Can we ease just move the **** ON??!! Good Hod, what's next??!! 100+ pages about how we should've gotten Gilbert Perrault? The Cam Neely Trade Discussion?

No mas.

I still can't believe we traded Bob Dailey.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.