HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   What are some good Islanders books/shows/etc. that are out there? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1369903)

ktrio730 03-07-2013 12:27 PM

What are some good Islanders books/shows/etc. that are out there?
 
I've been wanting to read up on some of the past (good and bad) of the Isles. In my limited search, I found a book called Fish Sticks: The rise and fall of the NY Islanders. It looks interesting, but I can't find it for cheaper than around $50! I wish there was a way to download it for my Ipad as an e-book or something.

Anyways, does anyone know if that book is worth it, and if there is anything else out there, such as videos, other books, etc that would prove to be a good read? Thanks.

bvon44 03-07-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktrio730 (Post 61163349)
I've been wanting to read up on some of the past (good and bad) of the Isles. In my limited search, I found a book called Fish Sticks: The rise and fall of the NY Islanders. It looks interesting, but I can't find it for cheaper than around $50! I wish there was a way to download it for my Ipad as an e-book or something.

Anyways, does anyone know if that book is worth it, and if there is anything else out there, such as videos, other books, etc that would prove to be a good read? Thanks.

Fish Sticks is definitley a good read though I can't believe its $50...have you checked your local library? I know my library's got a copy of it.

Wedregast 03-07-2013 01:25 PM

Fishsticks was a decent book. I'd recommend it if your interested in the Spano/Fishsticks/Milbury years and the drama and trades that went on, but definately try to find it for less then 50 bucks. It wasn't that good!

There was another book published a few years after Fishsticks that detailed the Islanders 1980 team, called Birth of a Dynasty: the 1980 NY Islanders that was pretty good. I'd get this one first, as it talks about a much more important Islanders era.

As for Videos, you should check out New York Islanders 10 Greatest Games on DVD. The quality of the broadcasts varies between games, but its pretty good to see the different Islander teams and a sample of some of the most important games they played.

DanNYI2191 03-07-2013 01:36 PM

The Dinner and a Dynasty video is a good watch. Lots of old stories with video being shown.

bvon44 03-07-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wedregast (Post 61166159)
As for Videos, you should check out New York Islanders 10 Greatest Games on DVD. The quality of the broadcasts varies between games, but its pretty good to see the different Islander teams and a sample of some of the most important games they played.

And Netflix has them if you dont feel like buying the set.

ktrio730 03-07-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bvon44 (Post 61166877)
And Netflix has them if you dont feel like buying the set.

Netflix? That surprises me... I'll check it out. I'm assuming it's only for the mail subscription, not instant que though.

Bones45 03-07-2013 01:52 PM

has anyone seen Pride of the Island on DVD?



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo_bAtpGfrc

TamaTavares 03-07-2013 01:53 PM

I have a VHS called Pride of the Island that was made in the late 80s. It's basically a capsule look at the Islanders up until that point. Nothing groundbreaking, no information you can't get from any Islanders book, but it's nice to have the moving images to go with the story. Lots of old footage and interviews.

--------------------------
UPDATE! It's on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo_bAtpGfrc

TamaTavares 03-07-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones45 (Post 61167557)
has anyone seen Pride of the Island on DVD?

Didn't know it was on DVD

bvon44 03-07-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktrio730 (Post 61167431)
Netflix? That surprises me... I'll check it out. I'm assuming it's only for the mail subscription, not instant que though.

Yeah just through the mail.

tag0519 03-11-2013 05:43 PM

I just started reading "Dynasty" by Greg Prato. Pretty good so far -



-Tom

Bexlyspeed 03-11-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones45 (Post 61167557)
has anyone seen Pride of the Island on DVD?



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo_bAtpGfrc

its not officially on dvd, but i have a transferred copy from vhs on dvd.

Bexlyspeed 03-11-2013 08:35 PM

Mike Bossy's book boss is pretty good, and I'm sure you can find a used copy on amazon without breaking the bank.

Denis potvin's book "power on ice" was good too, but written very early in his career, so there is no insight into the cup teams or anything like that.

iLandHer 03-12-2013 01:30 AM

I found Fish Sticks on half.com used for $15, so you may want to check that out. Birth of a Dynasty is also listed for $5 there.

Bunk Moreland 03-12-2013 09:29 PM

The isn't necessarily about the Isles but just hockey in general.. does any one know of any good hockey magazines?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.