HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Thoughts on Matt Gilroy (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1370197)

Zats Muccarello 03-07-2013 06:50 PM

Thoughts on Matt Gilroy

Hasn't been much of a liability in either zone. I actually didn't mind his play during the 12 games he was in. Now that Hamrlik is here, wouldn't mind seeing him on the fourth instead of Bickel. Sick of Bickel spending more time in the box than on the ice. Such stupid penalties.

Silence Of The Plams 03-07-2013 06:52 PM

No opinion. Not great, not terrible.

Miller Time NYR 03-07-2013 07:49 PM

haleys here so we dont need bickel to fight, gilroy came up a forward and switched to d in college so he knows what to do, hes been good defensively all year and is a much better skater than bickel, wouldnt mind torts trying it....

i really dont understand why we need either of them to play on the 4th line, ferriaro and mashinter didnt look bad when they were up, palmieri has played forward in the nhl before, bickel brings absolutly nothing to the team i dont understand why we need to put him out there is the organization nickel and dimming it right now and not want to pay the bus fare from ct...

Kershaw 03-07-2013 07:54 PM

He's pretty underrated. He's only had one bad game and he's been in the doghouse since.

ecemleafs 03-07-2013 08:10 PM

he needs to play over eminger if hamrlik is in the lineup. eminger/hamrlik is far too slow a pairing.

eco's bones 03-07-2013 08:45 PM

Gilroy was fairly decent this year--so far anyway. Though the offensive part of his game hasn't translated well at the NHL level and he's not a physical player and these things are hurting him. Would I have him in instead of Bickel playing forward? That would depend more on the opponent. To be honest I don't think either of them would make a good forward nor do I think either of them are particularly good at their real position. Bickel's much tougher. Gilroy's more talented. Both of them are on the cusp and get to play against grittier players. Gilroy's talent isn't putting pucks in the net and at times he plays like a cream puff. Bickel takes the odd dumb penalty. Not a lot to choose from. As for other options--Gilroy and Bickel both have one way contracts. I think that's playing into this as well.

Vitto79 03-07-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecemleafs (Post 61191685)
he needs to play over eminger if hamrlik is in the lineup. eminger/hamrlik is far too slow a pairing.

I thought Eminger played a good game yet again 2nite. He hits and does his job. When Staal is back they have 8 D and I guess Bickel is a 9th and spare F?

oh and Gilroy hasnt sucked which is all I can ask

nyr2k2 03-07-2013 09:43 PM

I haven't really noticed him. Which for Gilroy is fine.

I still like Eminger better.

OverTheCap 03-07-2013 09:44 PM

Gilroy was fine when he was getting sheltered minutes, but he really got exposed when he was given a bigger role around the time of McD and Del Zotto's injuries. Turnovers, blown defensive coverage, etc. - all the problems that plagued him in his first stint here returned when he received more ice time and had to match up against better players.

I'd rather not see him on defense again, but I wouldn't mind if he played forward in place of Bickel. Eminger, though painfully slow, has actually played well and I'd prefer him on defense over Gilroy.

nyr2k2 03-07-2013 09:47 PM

Eminger is slow, but he doesn't play like a dumbass. Gilroy just pisses me off.

eco's bones 03-07-2013 09:53 PM

Eminger's game isn't pretty and he's not a terrific skater but he gets in the way and will get gritty. He hangs in in adverse situations. It's what you want out of your bottom defensemen. Bickel playing d--gets caught running around too much--has been taking too many dumb penalties for the amount of ice time he's gotten. He'll panic too. Gilroy can skate and carry the puck but is too shy physically and fully capable of making boneheaded plays.

I prefer Eminger of the three right now by a rather large margin.

GregSirico 03-07-2013 10:24 PM

I've actually been quite happy with his play.

JeffMangum 03-07-2013 10:26 PM

Serviceable in all but one game this season.

Victim of the numbers game. Eminger played very well when he got the chance to and he's stuck with it. Nice to have a player like Gilroy as you're 8th D. A far cry from last year.