HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   2005-2006 Top 6 Defensemen? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=137039)

NYR94 03-31-2005 09:23 PM

2005-2006 Top 6 Defensemen?

I read earlier today that Marcus Ragnarsson is most likely done playing hockey in the NHL, opting to play in the SEL instead back home. What I was wondering is who will be the Flyers top six defensemen next season if the lockout ends? I'm guessing something like this:

1) Johnsson
2) Desjardins
3) Pitkanen
4) Markov
5) Seidenberg
6) ?

But I'm not sure about the 5th and 6th spots really. Will they try to re-sign Malakhov? Or Timander? I was just curious.

Gags1288 03-31-2005 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR94
I read earlier today that Marcus Ragnarsson is most likely done playing hockey in the NHL, opting to play in the SEL instead back home. What I was wondering is who will be the Flyers top six defensemen next season if the lockout ends? I'm guessing something like this:

1) Johnsson
2) Desjardins
3) Pitkanen
4) Markov
5) Seidenberg
6) ?

But I'm not sure about the 5th and 6th spots really. Will they try to re-sign Malakhov? Or Timander? I was just curious.

Right now, the flyers really only have 4 defenseman for next year, that would be Johnsson, Pitkanen, Markov and Seidenberg. With 24 percent roll backs, the buyouts of Leclair and Amonte, and a cap around 40 million, the Flyers should have around 6 million or so to spend on a couple of d-men. If there is that clause about a franchise player, that would probably free up another 6 to go after a top 6 forward. Projected lineup

Gagne-Carter-Roenick- 9 mil
Knuble-Handzus-UFA - 3.5 mil + UFA
Kapanen-Primeau-Stevenson - 8 mil
Brash-Richards-Sharpe- 3 mil

Johnsson-Pitkanen - 3 mil
Markov-Seidenberg - 3 mil
UFA-UFA

Esche
Nittymakki = 1.5 mil

That adds up to 31 million + 3 UFA's, the numbers are rough estimates, but you get the jist and if the Flyers are allowed to declare Roenick a franchise player and not have that number count against the cap, that would open up even more room. I doubt Desjardins will be back, I'd love to see the Flyers take a run at Neidermayer and a physical d-man. Offensively, the Flyers could resign Zhamnov or make a run at a Palffy or Demitra if they fail to sign a big name defenseman. The flyers will be able to ice a fairly cheap, young, and competitive team.

DARKSIDE 04-01-2005 08:25 AM

I really don't believe that either the Flyers or Rangers have a shot at Niedermayer. If he doesn't sign with the Devils, he's going home to play with Vancouver.

John Flyers Fan 04-01-2005 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
I really don't believe that either the Flyers or Rangers have a shot at Niedermayer. If he doesn't sign with the Devils, he's going home to play with Vancouver.

I disagree with you there. While I think that Niedermayer will end up in New Jersey, I don't believe for a second that he'll only consider New Jersey and Vancouver.

John Flyers Fan 04-01-2005 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gags1288
I doubt Desjardins will be back.

I'll be very surprised if he does not return.

RJ8812 04-01-2005 11:28 AM

isnt Timander under contract for the 05-06 season?

NYR94 04-01-2005 12:39 PM

So Desjardins is an UFA? Yeah, he might not be back since he is getting up there in age. And the forthcoming salary cap will probably force them to cut a few vets and go for cheaper, younger players.

Is that why so many people have Carter and Richards projected to be in the Flyers lineup next year? I know they're great prospects, but is it also because they're cheaper than re-signing Zhamnov and the like?

John Flyers Fan 04-01-2005 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR94
Is that why so many people have Carter and Richards projected to be in the Flyers lineup next year? I know they're great prospects, but is it also because they're cheaper than re-signing Zhamnov and the like?

They are NHL ready, and Zhamnov may still be back with the Flyers.

starbuck97 04-01-2005 01:19 PM

Quote:

Gagne-Carter-Roenick- 9 mil
Knuble-Handzus-UFA - 3.5 mil + UFA
Kapanen-Primeau-Stevenson - 8 mil
Brash-Richards-Sharpe- 3 mil

Johnsson-Pitkanen - 3 mil
Markov-Seidenberg - 3 mil
UFA-UFA
I think you forgot Radivojevic. Whether he is ready or not he probably gets that RW spot on the second line rather than an UFA.

I agree completely with your Defense. The Flyers need to sign 2 good, hopefully physical, defenseman. Timander should be the seventh man because he is signed for 05-06. Desjardins is most likely done.

jb** 04-01-2005 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starbuck97
I think you forgot Radivojevic. Whether he is ready or not he probably gets that RW spot on the second line rather than an UFA.

I agree completely with your Defense. The Flyers need to sign 2 good, hopefully physical, defenseman. Timander should be the seventh man because he is signed for 05-06. Desjardins is most likely done.

don't think Desjardin is done as of yet, if not they will still need 2 dman, not sold yet on Seidenberg and I agree Timander is a 7th.We have 3 young pieces to build from in Johnnson, Markov and Pitkannen. Assuming Eric comes back he is a possible projection.

Johnsson
Markov
Pitkannen
Desjardin
Zhitnik - UFA I think
Brenden Witt -trade With Wash. not sure how much he makes we need a physical dman, doubt would cost much to get

RoDu 04-01-2005 05:06 PM

I'd like to see Picard get a shot at maybe the 6th spot

FlyHigh 04-01-2005 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
I'd like to see Picard get a shot at maybe the 6th spot

bit too early I think, I'd rather see him play in the AHL for a season first to get some pro experience.

bobbyboucher24 04-02-2005 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb
Brenden Witt -trade With Wash. not sure how much he makes we need a physical dman, doubt would cost much to get

See, I think Washington will ask a king's ransom for him. Think they would ask for Richards. Of course the Flyers would say no, but I definitely think he won't come cheap

Gags1288 04-02-2005 12:46 PM

I did forget Branko, but I doubt the flyers will go into the season with a second line of Knuble-Handzus-Branko, they'll likely add a top 6 forward via free agency and then have Branko take someone's spot on the 4th line. The team I listed was a very cheap team, but a team that needs to sign at least 2 big time players to compete. They will have the money under the cap to do that and I think they will. There's no need to make a deal for a physical defenseman, there will be plenty of guys available via free agency to sign.

easton122 04-02-2005 01:05 PM

Quote:

I did forget Branko, but I doubt the flyers will go into the season with a second line of Knuble-Handzus-Branko, they'll likely add a top 6 forward via free agency and then have Branko take someone's spot on the 4th line. The team I listed was a very cheap team, but a team that needs to sign at least 2 big time players to compete. They will have the money under the cap to do that and I think they will. There's no need to make a deal for a physical defenseman, there will be plenty of guys available via free agency to sign.

If he plays with talented players Branko could easily be a decent 2nd liner. He's physical and solid defensively and has shown impressive glimpes of his offensive talents.

Gags1288 04-02-2005 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easton122
If he plays with talented players Branko could easily be a decent 2nd liner. He's physical and solid defensively and has shown impressive glimpes of his offensive talents.

I'm not doubting his ability, but I am doubting the ability of a team with a second line of Knuble-Handzus-Branko to do any damage. The flyers will not go into the season with a lineup so young, so inexperienced, and so inexpensive. They will go out and get players who will help the team win and they will spend money in the process. Whether it'll be Zhamnov back or a guy like Demitra/Palffy/etc. being signed, someone will be brought in to provide offense.

paxtang 04-02-2005 03:18 PM

Quote:

I'm not doubting his ability, but I am doubting the ability of a team with a second line of Knuble-Handzus-Branko to do any damage. The flyers will not go into the season with a lineup so young, so inexperienced, and so inexpensive. They will go out and get players who will help the team win and they will spend money in the process. Whether it'll be Zhamnov back or a guy like Demitra/Palffy/etc. being signed, someone will be brought in to provide offense.

I think it all depends on how good Knuble plays for us. The last three years he's been a very good goal scorer. Both Handzus and Branko are good playmakers. If both Zues and Knuble can get at least 20 goals, than Branko being on that line is fine with me. I really don't see how we can afford to sign a top 6 UFA. I think you may also see Umberger on one of the top two lines.

RoDu 04-02-2005 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxtang
I think it all depends on how good Knuble plays for us. The last three years he's been a very good goal scorer. Both Handzus and Branko are good playmakers. If both Zues and Knuble can get at least 20 goals, than Branko being on that line is fine with me. I really don't see how we can afford to sign a top 6 UFA. I think you may also see Umberger on one of the top two lines.

I've been very impressed with Umberger thus far, but I don't think we'll see him untill someone else moves on

paxtang 04-02-2005 04:19 PM

Quote:

I've been very impressed with Umberger thus far, but I don't think we'll see him untill someone else moves on

I don't expect him to be a center, so who else needs to move on? Top six wingers we currently have are Gagne, Knuble, and depending on where they are placed, JR and Branko. I'd say, depending on how they play in camp and preseason, one of Carter or Umberger will have a top 6 spot on the team, because we NEED someone. There are open spots.

RoDu 04-02-2005 05:26 PM

Quote:

I don't expect him to be a center, so who else needs to move on? Top six wingers we currently have are Gagne, Knuble, and depending on where they are placed, JR and Branko. I'd say, depending on how they play in camp and preseason, one of Carter or Umberger will have a top 6 spot on the team, because we NEED someone. There are open spots.

We have 12 forwards already:
Gagne, Carter, Roenick, Richards, Primeau ,Radivojevic, Knuble, Handzus, Kapanen, Brashear, Sharp, Stevenson
Don't forget Fedoruk and Somik as extras

paxtang 04-02-2005 06:35 PM

Quote:

We have 12 forwards already:
Gagne, Carter, Roenick, Richards, Primeau ,Radivojevic, Knuble, Handzus, Kapanen, Brashear, Sharp, Stevenson
Don't forget Fedoruk and Somik as extras

That's assuming that both Carter and Richards make the team. Umberger is more mature and older than both. I wouldn't be suprised if Umberger makes the team whie Carter spends a year in the AHL.

RJ8812 04-02-2005 06:55 PM

Quote:

That's assuming that both Carter and Richards make the team. Umberger is more mature and older than both. I wouldn't be suprised if Umberger makes the team whie Carter spends a year in the AHL.

no, carter is ready, clarke already said he'll be playing with the Flyers whenever there is a season (hopefully next season), richards will probably play a season the the A. Brashear will be gone.

Yertle The Turtle 04-02-2005 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Flyers_
Brashear will be gone.

:cheers:

paxtang 04-02-2005 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Flyers_
no, carter is ready, clarke already said he'll be playing with the Flyers whenever there is a season (hopefully next season), richards will probably play a season the the A. Brashear will be gone.

He said he might be playing and that he'd be given a long look. He also later said that while he's ready, both might play a year in the A (maybe it was Holmgren who said it).

FearTheFlyers 04-02-2005 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerfreak941