HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Dion Phaneuf to Edmonton (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1370553)

yideboit 03-07-2013 10:41 PM

Dion Phaneuf to Edmonton

First things first, I don't know if this has been posted before ... nor do i care to look for it... so lets just skip the "OMG YOU ARE A BAD HF'ER THIS HAS BEEN POSTED 2345256783 TIMES BEFORE!!!" because i simply don't care!

Edmonton gets:
Dion Phaneuf
Jay McClement/Nikolai Kulemin
+ ?

Toronto gets:
Taylor Hall

Now I know the "+" could be somewhat substantial ... maybe a high-ish end d-prospect + a good pick, but with the struggles that Edmonton is still having is it maybe time to look at building some depth and then re-evaluate? I've also seemed to notice that Edmonton lacks a bit of a spark most games, and doesn't really have that "energy/depth" player to compliment their many elite offensive players.

Also, I (being a Leafs fan) am aware that this could illicit the "why change whats working" or something similar, but I haven't been impressed with Dion's game this year, and frankly, with the risk that Kessel is going to have massive contract demands, I think the Leafs need a plan B if Kessel wants too much!

Would something along these lines be interesting to the Oilers? Not saying this exact deal, but something along the lines of moving one of their big 3 for a young-ish top pairing dman, and some depth/additional futures?

McManked 03-07-2013 10:45 PM

Ouch.

While I won't comment on the actual value of the trade, I'm really really confused at "McClement/Kulemin". I mean those players don't have the same value. That plus, by the way, is going to have to be pretty damn significant.

Caesium 03-07-2013 10:46 PM

If Edmonton does any kind of trade, it isn't going to be sending Hall out. Untouchable.

dahrougem2 03-07-2013 10:46 PM

If I'm the Oilers I don't touch this with a 10-foot pole, Dion doesn't exactly entice the Oilers, they have no need for McClemment but could use a guy like Kulemin for the 3rd line. The + as you stated would have to be pretty substantial though if you're asking the Oilers about Hall, he's one of the "untouchables" so to speak; I'd think that the Oil would ask for Rielly or Gardiner if Hall is being traded, not Phaneuf

Pip 03-07-2013 10:46 PM

Don't think Edmonton does this, Hall drives the Oilers and is way too important to them.

Pierre Dagenais 03-07-2013 10:46 PM

I could see the Oilers making this trade but only because Tambellini is the worst GM in the league.

I think the + would have to be Jake Gardiner for the trade to be fair.

Pyromaniac3 03-07-2013 10:47 PM

No from Leafs.

McManked 03-07-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 (Post 61224073)
No from Leafs.

This absolutely boggles my mind.

The Podium 03-07-2013 10:48 PM

So a D of

Kostka - Holzer
Franson - Gunnarsson
Komisarek - Fraser

Nice!

The Podium 03-07-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manked (Post 61224099)

My last post is likely his reason

Philadelphia Ducks 03-07-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by live playoff hockey (Post 61224017)
Don't think Edmonton does this, Hall drives the Oilers and is way too important to them.

Hall has driven the Oilers to back to back first overall picks since he's been there, now I'm not really going to say that it was entirely his fault, but he certainly hasn't seemed to help the situation much.

Personally, I don't think Edmonton would be set back too much if they did trade one of their big 4 forwards to get some much needed depth on the team. Dion would be paired with Justin on the top line almost immediately which would give them a pretty solid top pairing. If Toronto were to add in some picks/good prospect I imagine Edmonton would atleast have to think about it.

Philadelphia Ducks 03-07-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Podium (Post 61224175)
So a D of

Kostka - Holzer
Franson - Gunnarsson
Komisarek - Fraser

Nice!

No Liles or Gardiner?

yideboit 03-07-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks (Post 61224237)
Hall has driven the Oilers to back to back first overall picks since he's been there, now I'm not really going to say that it was entirely his fault, but he certainly hasn't seemed to help the situation much.

basically the majority of my thinking ... just baffled that edmonton is still in the basement!

at some point they need to start taking strides to getting better and building depth beyond their superstarS (as in theres more than hall) ... and something of this nature could turn them in that direction

wynne 03-07-2013 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks (Post 61224271)
No Liles or Gardiner?

Gardiner would probably be the +

As stupid as it sounds, I don't know if I like to from Toronto's perspective. Phaneuf is our best defenseman, regardless of what everyone wants to say. As good as Hall is, we've got a bundle of wingers already, and it will be hard to find a guy that will eat the minutes Phaneuf does.

Hardyvan123 03-07-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yideboit (Post 61224459)
basically the majority of my thinking ... just baffled that edmonton is still in the basement!

at some point they need to start taking strides to getting better and building depth beyond their superstarS (as in theres more than hall) ... and something of this nature could turn them in that direction

Hall is not the forward who is going to get traded IMO, more liekly a guy like Yak, if they panicked and went this route.

Dion is not the answer, they need time to develop their young D prospects and need to develop or trade for a true legit #1 guy as Schultz isn't that guy, maybe he is a top paring 2nd liner on a championship team.

Jones would be just what the doctor ordered if it goes down that way.

Also they need a legit top 6 center to compliment RNH, Gagner isn't that guy.

Teeder9 03-07-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wynne (Post 61224503)
Gardiner would probably be the +

As stupid as it sounds, I don't know if I like to from Toronto's perspective. Phaneuf is our best defenseman, regardless of what everyone wants to say. As good as Hall is, we've got a bundle of wingers already, and it will be hard to find a guy that will eat the minutes Phaneuf does.

Well...there is one guy...this kid playing in Portland

kihei 03-07-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 (Post 61224073)
No from Leafs.

No, from Leafs? Just like that? If I'm Nonis, I do anything but hang up the phone at the moment.

Phion Keneuf 03-07-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teeder9 (Post 61225355)
Well...there is one guy...this kid playing in Portland

Who?

Phion Keneuf 03-07-2013 11:16 PM

Btw I do this in a heartbeat.

Teeder9 03-07-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf (Post 61225891)
Who?

Seth Jones. I'm assuming, even with as much as I think Phaneuf and Kessel and basically no go's for this team, we'd be throwing in the towel by trading them and Jones would be the guy to go for, with any of the other 3-4 guys as great consolation prizes

jumptheshark 03-07-2013 11:22 PM

leafs turning down the deal --lol

Antropovsky 03-07-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manked (Post 61224099)

seconded

Joey Moss 03-07-2013 11:24 PM

OP is a Leafs fan so not surprised at this one. Did you think Edmonton fans would like this one? I mean really?

Antropovsky 03-07-2013 11:27 PM

I'd do a deal around Phaneuf for Klefbom.

I know he's a highly touted prospect... meanwhile it's difficult to gauge what Phaneuf's real value is. Not sure if the Leafs would have to add, or the Oilers. :help:

7even 03-07-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks (Post 61224271)
No Liles or Gardiner?

Carlyle is allergic to defensemen that don't use cinderblocks as skates.