HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How to fix the powerplay? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1370559)

Canadian Gold X3 03-07-2013 10:44 PM

How to fix the powerplay?

We're 0/16 on our last poweplays, what exactly is wrong and how would you fix it?

Golden Boy 03-07-2013 10:50 PM

Fire that bum Newell Brown, get pucks on the net. I find that the PP is way too cute with their passing, which wastes precious time. And when I say pucks on net, I don't mean Edler's slapshot into the shinpads, or Kesler's wristshot into shinpads either. What we lack is a true PP QB. Ehrhoff basically conducted the flow of play during his tenure here, and Edler hasn't exactly matched his pace on the PP since replacing him. Edler is too tentative on the PP sometimes, and is somewhat erratic. He'll pass up a wide open slapshop one time, only to get it back to fire into a defender's body. Another thing is we need to get big bodies infront of the net, which would help us score goals (when we actually do get shots on net). Kassian would be the obvious choice for this, and maybe Jensen when he comes over.

Sorry if that was just a wall of text, just my two cents.

edit: Also get rid of the ****ing drop pass.

sunnyvale420 03-07-2013 10:52 PM

Sedins on the boards, hansen/kassian screening the goalie, garrison and edler on the points with edler pinching

BrandonL 03-07-2013 10:53 PM

I would fire Newell Brown and use some Men In Black technology to erase any memory of his existence.

Then I would overhaul the PP and go with something like this on the first unit

Kesler (Kassian) - Sedin - Sedin
Edler - Garrison

Someone is going to have to tell the Sedins to switch it up, they are too predictable running the PP from the half boards down. They really need to start using Garrison on the first unit and feeding him the puck. His shot will open things up down low, and Kesler (Kassian) can cause havoc in front of the net.

Wheatley 03-07-2013 10:56 PM

They need to press forward as close to the net as possible when they have the puck. Fire it at the net from 15 feet instead of 30. Good things will happen.

Wilch 03-07-2013 10:57 PM

Sneak an extra man on to the ice and hope the referees don't notice.

They probably won't notice.

edler von real gud 03-07-2013 11:08 PM

2 issues from what I can tell.

PP misses Kesler and there is nobody on the roster with a similar right handed shot to station on the off wall. This makes the Sedins far less dangerous as everything is funneled to the point and with no real threat on the other side of the ice it makes it easy to block the shooting lanes.

Big body presence around the net. We need to plant Kassian infront of the goalie because it will either tie up one of their defenseman or if they leave him unattended he can distract the goalie and deflect point shots.

Ryan96 03-07-2013 11:22 PM

Get Schroeder off of the point and put Garrison on instead. Maybe you could try taking Edler off to see what happens but I doubt that would do too much. We also need a guy like kass in front of the net screening.

petrishriekandgo 03-08-2013 05:46 AM

Change the philosophy from a wear them out by passing for 3/4 of the PP and then take advantage of tired legs/mistakes to score TO shoot from everywhere, crash the net, retrieve pucks and outnumber them because you have AN EXTRA MAN! Also, shoot from the point and scare people... Edler, Garrison, Bieksa can hammer it.

Wizeman* 03-08-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandonlee (Post 61224467)
I would fire Newell Brown and use some Men In Black technology to erase any memory of his existence.

Then I would overhaul the PP and go with something like this on the first unit

Kesler (Kassian) - Sedin - Sedin
Edler - Garrison

Someone is going to have to tell the Sedins to switch it up, they are too predictable running the PP from the half boards down. They really need to start using Garrison on the first unit and feeding him the puck. His shot will open things up down low, and Kesler (Kassian) can cause havoc in front of the net.

I have no idea why AV doesn't go back to something proven to work. Why not go back to this.

NYVanfan 03-08-2013 08:27 AM

get Visnovsky

PRNuck 03-08-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Classless One (Post 61223871)
We're 0/16 on our last poweplays, what exactly is wrong and how would you fix it?

1) Get new coaching staff
2) Put Zack in front of the net
3) Put Garrison on the point
4) Pass Garrison the puck
5) Throw hands up in the air sometimes
6) Say ayyyyyy-oh
7) ???
8) Win hockey games

dave babych returns 03-08-2013 09:29 AM

Shoooooooooooooot

ItsAllPartOfThePlan 03-08-2013 10:35 AM

more movement. Point men are too stationary. Hank is always on the half wall. Burrows in front of the net. That leaves Daniel as the one guy moving around.

Cocoa Crisp 03-08-2013 11:02 AM

Take the open shot, screen the goalie, crash the net. That's how you bump the slump.

Sometimes I think the first unit is only interested in surgical strikes. Sometimes a hammer is the preferred tool.

Le Stig 03-08-2013 12:57 PM

Fire Newell Brown.

canuck4life16 03-08-2013 02:09 PM

try Baker on the PP or bring K-Con from the Wolves for the PP

PRNuck 03-08-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canuck4life16 (Post 61255407)
try Baker on the PP or bring K-Con from the Wolves for the PP

For all Barker's struggles, he does get a lot of pucks through.

Amused To Death 03-08-2013 02:24 PM

With Ehrhoff, the powerplay moved. It was fluid...almost sexual at times.

Now, everybody just stands in place. No movement. We need a quarterback like Ehrhoff again, I think. That's probably what it boils down to. Powerplay hasn't been nearly as good since Ehrhoff was lost.

Wheatley 03-08-2013 04:33 PM

Shoot the puck. Crash the net. Simple.

Or just pass it around for a minute, get a shot blocked, change lines and repeat.

Either or.

aandbreatheme 03-08-2013 04:35 PM

Launch Newell Brown out of a cannon.

In all honesty, take Edler off and give Garrison a go. Edler's hesitance to shoot is mind numbing.

ddawg1950 03-08-2013 04:37 PM

Bck to basics. Quit looking for highlght goals.

Pucks on the net.

94eleven 03-08-2013 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Use Henrik on the left side boards on his strong side.

Kassian in front of the net to the left so he is open if the D overplays Henrik.

Daniel in the high slot for one-timers or one-touch to the D. He can also rotate down low behind the net to work down low if open.

Garrison as the strong side D towards the middle for bombs from Henrik or Daniel.

Edler on the off-wing D for one-timers through the box or to sneak down low towards the back door.

Attachment 61709

Outside99* 03-08-2013 05:06 PM

Take Burr and Schroeder off the PP. Burr has never been good at it, and Schroeder is a liability on the point.

Wheatley 03-08-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94eleven (Post 61264045)
Use Henrik on the left side boards on his strong side.

Kassian in front of the net to the left so he is open if the D overplays Henrik.

Daniel in the high slot for one-timers or one-touch to the D. He can also rotate down low behind the net to work down low if open.

Garrison as the strong side D towards the middle for bombs from Henrik or Daniel.

Edler on the off-wing D for one-timers through the box or to sneak down low towards the back door.

Attachment 61709

Don't like the idea of Kassian being anywhere near the front of the net on the powerplay.

He's having trouble with his positioning right now, either too close or not close enough. Which would lead to missed scoring chances or goalie interference penalties.

Not to mention he's been whiffing on tap ins lately.