HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Line Combos: Line Combos: now, next year, future, etc (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1370631)

petrocelli 03-08-2013 01:27 AM

Line Combos: now, next year, future, etc
 
So I was just thinking of what the perfect line combos would look like next year with the kids a little older and a full training camp...... I am loving the possibilities... Feel free to just use this thread to throw any line combos you are just dying to write down for this year, next year, five years from now, whatever, whatever...... Think of this as the thread Cappy won't be around to see or he wouldn't have the creativity to think up... Have fun..

1) Moulson Tavares Neiderreiter

2) A. Lee Strome Bailey

3) Grabner B. Nelson Okposo

4) Martin Cizikas Ullstrom

** C. McDonald Neilsen Kabanov

J. Sundstrom Persson

.......Boyes: gone, Boulton: gone... perhaps Neilsen is traded... with this depth, there is also room for another forward to be traded, but I really like those top 4 lines and am a huge fan of Sundstrom as well.

Line 1: Hopefully Nino pans out, but to be honest, I am much more confident in Nelson, Lee and Strome than I am with Nino.. Hopefully Nino is the real deal... If not, maybe Strome, Nelson or even Kabanov can be the answer down the road.. But for next year, maybe Boyes gets another year, or dare I say, Okposo or Bailey move up and McDonald gets back in the lineup which I wouldn't mind one bit.

Line 2: I am loving it!! Imagine a 230 pound winger with great hands, leadership abilities and a scorers mentality riding shotgun with Strome. On the other side, Bailey's creativity finally coming to life with maturity and FINALLY, the right linemates!!

Line 3: We finally have that huge, well-rounded centerman, that could play the second line center position in a pinch.. Along with Nelson, we have the homerun threat in Grabner and perhaps things will come together for Okposo with less stress on him playing with talented linemates on the third line. Maybe he just becomes a very good third liner.

Line 4: Cizikas is a prototype 4th liner, as is Martin as well. Both have the ability to hit, antagonize, skate and score a goal in a pinch.. Both of these kids can play on the 3rd line and not hurt the team one bit, but as 4th liners, they make this team the most well-rounded 4-line Islanders team I've seen in a long long time... Rounding it off with the speedy Ullstrom or the grinding McDonald and we are good to go.. Ullstrom is up and coming and has potential to play the second or third line, but for now, this team is stacked!!

** In the wings, I really really like the overall game of Sundstrom. This kid is going to be good and I believe he is most natural at center... All I can say is... Look out Franzie, watch your back!! ... Along with Sundstrom, Kabanov has been nothing but a model citizen since coming here. If he can ever get past all these freak injuries and stay on the ice consistently enough to let his game and 6'2, 190lb-ish frame mature, he may be the one playing alongside of Tavares one day.. I mean, it would be a dream come true for Kabanov and the Brighton Beach community for Kabanov to take over Brooklyn with his charisma!! :yo:

Loving those top 4 lines, along with Sundstrom and Kabanov as well.... Let's do this!!

The 2013 pick should be a good one, but I hope not too good.. :shakehead

You can always add a vet or a Boulton type of goon if need-be.. I was just looking at the core..... Pretty stacked!!

doublechili 03-08-2013 08:05 AM

IMO having 2 rookies as #2 and #3 line centers is expecting too much. If Strome and Nelson are ready I'd prefer to ease them in on the wing. Assuming (as we must) that they do nothing significant in the way of trades or UFAs, I'd try something like this:

Martin - Tavares - Strome

Moulson - Bailey - Okposo

Nelson - Neilsen - Grabner

Lee/Ullstrom - Cizikas - McDonald/Ullstrom (rotating the 3 wingers)

Success would depend on:

*Development of current youth;
*Play of rookies;
*Okposo :shakehead

Just realized I left NINO off. Not sure where he'd fit. I'm leery of having 3 rookies as it is - probably unrealistic to have 4. So Strome, Nino, Nelson and Lee would fight for max 3 spots (if not 2).

YashinWorksHard 03-08-2013 12:11 PM

Moulson-Tavares-Perry

Ontario's Finest

ziggy7716 03-08-2013 03:36 PM

Line combo's for next season will be tricky because there are so many variables that can happen from now to next season. We could make the playoffs and Snow can add at the deadline, we could fall out of contention and he can sell etc. With that said I will give it my best shot.

I think Colin McDonald will be retained. Reasoner, Aucoin and Boulton will be let go. I also think Kyle Okposo and Josh Bailey won't be Islanders next season. Because of their contractual status both would have to be traded to not be on the team next season, obviously they would return players but I don't have a crystal ball to see who that will be.

Moulson-Tavares-Niederreiter
Grabner-Strome-UFA
UFA-Nielsen-UFA
McDonald-Cizikas-Martin

Like I said, some of the spots that say UFA could be players obtained by trading KO and Bailey so it's tough. Also, I think there is a possibility that if management feels strongly enough about Nelson they could move Nielsen as well to make room for Brock. They could also want to start Strome out at Wing which would enable them to keep Nielsen and have Brock Nelson at center.

Moulson-Tavares-Strome
Grabner-Nelson-Niederreiter
UFA-Nielsen-UFA
McDonald-Cizikas-Martin

stranger34 03-08-2013 03:42 PM

I would mix up now to the following:

Moulson - JT - Bailey
Grabner - Nielsen - Boyes
Martin - Czikas - McDonald
Ullstrom - Reasoner - Okposo

I'd also be all for trading Okposo and promoting Nino. not against waiving reasoner

blitzkriegs 03-08-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublechili (Post 61236113)

*Development of current youth;
*Play of rookies;
*Okposo :shakehead

.

In 09/10, he played 80 games and whipped off 250 shots.
In 10/11, he played 38 games and whipped off 72.
In 11/12, back to 80 games with 150 shots.
This season, 24 games with 44 shots.

This is shooting on net a 1/3 less than he should.

doublechili 03-08-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blitzkriegs (Post 61260261)
In 09/10, he played 80 games and whipped off 250 shots.
In 10/11, he played 38 games and whipped off 72.
In 11/12, back to 80 games with 150 shots.
This season, 24 games with 44 shots.

This is shooting on net a 1/3 less than he should.

Good find, thanks. That means KO went from just over 3 shots per game to just under 2 shots per game. That's actually pretty significant. And it's consistent with the idea that he's gone from playing a more north-south, net-charging game to a kind of tentative, dipsy-doodle game.

ferrisUML 03-08-2013 03:54 PM

I wouldn't pencil Anders Lee in for anything. Kids going to want more than Isles will pay and, IMO, Garth will rightfully let him walk.

Seto 03-08-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferrisUML (Post 61260741)
I wouldn't pencil Anders Lee in for anything. Kids going to want more than Isles will pay and, IMO, Garth will rightfully let him walk.

Lee is a beast he deserves it. Plus the maximum salary is 925,000 anyway

OlTimeHockey 03-08-2013 06:09 PM

Moulson - Tavares - UFA {why not get the best player we could?}
Bailey - Strome - Grabner
Martin - Nielson - Okposo
Nino - Cizikas - MacDonald


Yes, Nino's on line 4. :D

A Pointed Stick 03-08-2013 06:54 PM

Some of you guys are angling for next year's first overall with so many rookies on a team. That shouldn't happen if you want to take the next step up.

OlTimeHockey 03-08-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick (Post 61269993)
Some of you guys are angling for next year's first overall with so many rookies on a team. That shouldn't happen if you want to take the next step up.

We're building a winner the right way. The other 29 teams will be doing this in no time. What do they know?:laugh:

HEY! We invented Ice Girls {to give everyone a reason to go to games when we suck so badly}!

At this stage of the rebuild, if it were year four and not eight or nine or whatever, I would trade some young talent for a top line player and push better talent down the lineup so we can compete and win more......but winning isn't everything.

Or, apparently, anything.

bluechipbonzo 03-08-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey (Post 61267047)
Moulson - Tavares - UFA {why not get the best player we could?}
Bailey - Strome - Grabner
Martin - Nielson - Okposo
Nino - Cizikas - MacDonald


Yes, Nino's on line 4. :D

Ullstrom cut?

Nino in top six or still in AHL.

It Was 4 to 1 03-09-2013 06:49 AM

Moulson - Tavares - Boyes
Grabner - Nielsen - Niederreiter
Ullstrom - Bailey/Strome - Okposo
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald

MacDonald - Hamonic
Streit - Strait
Donovan/Hickey - Carkner
Martinek

Mr Wentworth 03-09-2013 07:39 AM

As I commeneted in another "future thread"....and Petrov is still playing out his final year on his KHL contract...

Islander Prophet 03-09-2013 10:08 AM

What I would like to see next year:

Moulson - Tavares - Niederreiter
Grabner - Nelson - Strome
Bailey - Nielsen - Okposo
Martin - Cizikas - Ullstrom

MacDonald - Hamonic
Streit - Strait
Carkner - Donovan

Poulin in nets (or Nilsson)

As for the in the longer future (like 2-3 years from now), Moulson gets replaced by Kabanov eventually. Streit gets replaced by Reinhart, Carkner gets replaced by Mayfield/DeHaan/Pedan/Pokka/Pelech/etc

ziggy7716 03-09-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streit Power (Post 61300419)
What I would like to see next year:

Moulson - Tavares - Niederreiter
Grabner - Nelson - Strome
Bailey - Nielsen - Okposo
Martin - Cizikas - Ullstrom

MacDonald - Hamonic
Streit - Strait
Carkner - Donovan

Poulin in nets (or Nilsson)

As for the in the longer future (like 2-3 years from now), Moulson gets replaced by Kabanov eventually. Streit gets replaced by Reinhart, Carkner gets replaced by Mayfield/DeHaan/Pedan/Pokka/Pelech/etc

I personally think the Bailey and Okposo experiments will be but. I think both will be dealt before next season.

Hip Of Rick 03-09-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streit Power (Post 61300419)
What I would like to see next year:

Moulson - Tavares - Niederreiter
Grabner - Nelson - Strome
Bailey - Nielsen - Okposo
Martin - Cizikas - Ullstrom

MacDonald - Hamonic
Streit - Strait
Carkner - Donovan

Poulin in nets (or Nilsson)

As for the in the longer future (like 2-3 years from now), Moulson gets replaced by Kabanov eventually. Streit gets replaced by Reinhart, Carkner gets replaced by Mayfield/DeHaan/Pedan/Pokka/Pelech/etc

Awful, that is the same team as this year with a worse 1st line, worse D and horrible goaltending. This lineup would be yet another step backwards. We need to bring in 3-4 veteran forwards either via UFA or trade, preferably a combo of both. This "core" has been together for 3-4 years now and needs to be changed, they simply are not good enough. We also need to bring in 2-4 quality vet dmen depending on Streit and Viz. Carkner ideally should start out as the number 6/7 and Donovan as 7/8. We also need a vet goalie to play a minimum of 50 games. Poulin/Nilsson have shown nothing to show they can be starting NHL goalies this season in the AHL (based on stats and reading peoples opinions who watch the Tigers).

This team desperately needs a new identity and every single forward on this years roster should be available for trade except JT, Moulson, Grabner, and Martin.

InformTheMasses 03-09-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick (Post 61301503)
This team desperately needs a new identity and every single forward on this years roster should be available for trade except JT, Moulson, Grabner, and Martin.

Trading Casey Cizikas would prove to be a colossal mistake down the line. I'm not putting him in the 'untouchable' category (JT is the only one truly there) but I would exhaust all other options before dealing Grabner, Martin, Cizikas, and Tavares. Nielsen is close.


Also I'm seeing a lot of line combinations with Moulson and Nino on the same line. That would not make any sense, they both are one dimensional players whose only real value is standing in front of the net and deflecting/screening/knocking home rebounds. That's not a bad thing, but to have 2 out there at the same time is redundant and counter productive.

Hip Of Rick 03-09-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InformTheMasses (Post 61302127)
Trading Casey Cizikas would prove to be a colossal mistake down the line. I'm not putting him in the 'untouchable' category (JT is the only one truly there) but I would exhaust all other options before dealing Grabner, Martin, Cizikas, and Tavares. Nielsen is close.

I wouldn't want to deal Cizikas but if he has to be dealt to land a bigger fish than so be it. Moulson needs to be untouchable for 2 reasons, 1. he can score 2. It will keep JT happy

SI 03-09-2013 07:29 PM

Moulson-JT-Nino (possibly Strome, but he starts at the AHL. Also is Nino ready for 1st line duty?)
Grabner - Fransie - Okposo
Ullstrom - Nelson - Bailey
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald/Joensuu
final forward spot goes to an enforcer let's say Boulton.

Donovan - Hamonic
Macdonald - ?????? (Streit - if he is resigned)
Hickey - Carkner
Strait - Finley or possibly Reinhart

Here is a thought... Reinhart makes the team Finley gets sent down (he still has an option I believe).
* Reinhart turns 20 in January 2014, SO Here is my thinking - Reinhart makes the big league club through december playing those 12 -13 minutes that Carkner and Finley play as a 6... december comes around and the Isles allow him to play in the WJC - he comes back - turns 20 and if Griffin can't hang in the bigs, he can then be sent to Bridgeport to get more minutes for the rest of the season.

IslesRock4 03-09-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SI (Post 61333819)
Moulson-JT-Nino (possibly Strome, but he starts at the AHL. Also is Nino ready for 1st line duty?)
Grabner - Fransie - Okposo
Ullstrom - Nelson - Bailey
Martin - Cizikas - McDonald/Joensuu
final forward spot goes to an enforcer let's say Boulton.

Donovan - Hamonic
Macdonald - ?????? (Streit - if he is resigned)
Hickey - Carkner
Strait - Finley or possibly Reinhart

Here is a thought... Reinhart makes the team Finley gets sent down (he still has an option I believe).
* Reinhart turns 20 in January 2014, SO Here is my thinking - Reinhart makes the big league club through december playing those 12 -13 minutes that Carkner and Finley play as a 6... december comes around and the Isles allow him to play in the WJC - he comes back - turns 20 and if Griffin can't hang in the bigs, he can then be sent to Bridgeport to get more minutes for the rest of the season.

Strait deserves minutes over anyone not named Streit or Hamonic. Unless he comes back and plays like total garbage.

SLAPSHOT723 03-09-2013 08:39 PM

You have to calm down with Anders Lee. And if there's anyway to get Bailey off this team, take it.

startainfection 03-09-2013 08:54 PM

i think nielsen is gone in 2 off seasons

startainfection 03-09-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 (Post 61341753)
You have to calm down with Anders Lee. And if there's anyway to get Bailey off this team, take it.

and you have to calm down with the josh bailey hate


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.