HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   NHL.com: NHLPA Approves Realignment (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1370679)

RattleYourSabre 03-08-2013 08:16 AM

NHL.com: NHLPA Approves Realignment

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...d=nhl:topheads

Quote:

The National Hockey League will present its proposed realignment plan to the Board of Governors after receiving consent from the National Hockey League Players' Association on Thursday.

If approved, the League's new realignment plan will go into effect starting with the 2013-14 season.

"The NHL Players' Association confirmed to us today that it has consented to a revised Plan for Realignment, effective for the 2013-14 season," NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said in a statement. "Our next step will be to bring the proposed Plan for Realignment to the NHL Board of Governors for its consideration. We will update the status of the process as future developments warrant."

The NHL worked in conjunction with the NHLPA to formulate this realignment plan.
Click the link for more.

For the record, here are the proposed conferences (It's the same as the earlier proposal a few weeks ago):

Western Conference (14 teams)
Pacific (7 teams):
Anaheim
Calgary
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver

Midwest (7 teams):
Chicago
Colorado
Dallas
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Eastern Conference (16 teams)
Central (8 teams)

Boston
Buffalo
Detroit
Florida
Montreal
Ottawa
Tampa
Toronto

Atlantic (8 teams):
Carolina
Columbus
New Jersey
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Washington

TakeThatTootoo 03-08-2013 08:18 AM

Gonna be rough travel for the Florida teams. They got the shaft in this one. I would've switched Columbus and Carolina for Tampa and Florida.

Dixon Ward 03-08-2013 08:27 AM

funny that columbus and pittsburgh are in the atlantic division and boston and florida are in the central division.

Clock 03-08-2013 08:33 AM

Good, I like it. Detroit and Tampa are going to force this team to keep it real.

RattleYourSabre 03-08-2013 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixon Ward (Post 61235243)
funny that columbus and pittsburgh are in the atlantic division and boston and florida are in the central division.

I find that odd, too.

Apparently, as rumor has it... Florida and Tampa wanted to be with the Canadian teams because they book vacations in Florida when they play those teams, so it helps with attendance.

My thought process is that a team can't be too financially feasible if you have to rely on another cities fans to come down to help your bottom line.

Florida and Tampa belong in the Atlantic.

Jame 03-08-2013 08:39 AM

sweet, more Buffalo games in Tampa

RazielMoshman 03-08-2013 08:55 AM

Nothing major for us, I'll enjoy watching Detroit more as I like the organisation, a real sense of class. Hopefully a more difficult class will make the competition better, forcing the florida teams (and us) to be better.

Two of my friends will love this. One is a Dallas fan the other is a Colorado fan. Those games should be good.

jfb392 03-08-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RattleYourSabre (Post 61235429)
I find that odd, too.

Apparently, as rumor has it... Florida and Tampa wanted to be with the Canadian teams because they book vacations in Florida when they play those teams, so it helps with attendance.

My thought process is that a team can't be too financially feasible if you have to rely on another cities fans to come down to help your bottom line.

You mean that you didn't realize that they weren't financially feasible even though they sell season tickets at below minor league prices (as low as $7/game) in a metropolitan area of 5.5m+ people?

I wouldn't get too used to this, as it will probably have to be tweaked in three months when the Coyotes are finally put down.

SackTastic 03-08-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RattleYourSabre (Post 61235429)
I find that odd, too.

They don't have to.

As much as the Panthers cry poverty, the corporate entity that owns the Panthers and the arena management company who runs BB&T has profited over $100M since that building was opened.

They're doing just fine.

RattleYourSabre 03-08-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SackTastic (Post 61236753)
They don't have to.

As much as the Panthers cry poverty, the corporate entity that owns the Panthers and the arena management company who runs BB&T has profited over $100M since that building was opened.

They're doing just fine.

Maybe I have bad information... but didn't Tampa/Florida vote no to the last realignment plan because they wanted the snowbird revenue?

If they can survive without that revenue, then what the heck is the NHL thinking?

SackTastic 03-08-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RattleYourSabre (Post 61237139)
Maybe I have bad information... but didn't Tampa/Florida vote no to the last realignment plan because they wanted the snowbird revenue?

If they can survive without that revenue, then what the heck is the NHL thinking?

Of course they WANT the snowbird revenue, and you can't blame them for that. They just don't need it.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...rk-forbes-list

Sunrise Sports and Entertainment owns the Panthers, and Arena Operating Company, Ltd. They're legally separate entities, but they're effectively the same. One could not really exist without the other.

While the Panthers side says they lose money all the time, those losses are MORE than made up for the profits the AOC makes. In fact, for SSE, the fact that the Panthers lose money is a GOOD thing! If SSE makes too much, they have to give some money back to Broward County, who owns the building. The Panthers take the loss, sucking down profits enough so that SSE keeps all the aggregate profits.

(Not to dredge up lockout stuff again, but this is why I leaned to the players side in the dispute. Accounting shenanigans like this are all too common in pro sports from the ownership side.)

RattleYourSabre 03-08-2013 09:56 AM

I certainly don't blame them. But I do think the NHL shouldn't have pandered to them like they did. If they can sustain revenue where they're at, it doesn't make sense to have them fly over (and northern teams fly over as well) the entire other division to play games.

TehDoak 03-08-2013 10:05 AM

Let me just put this out there, to see how it feels:

**** the red wings.

Clock 03-08-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehDoak (Post 61238031)
Let me just put this out there, to see how it feels:

**** the red wings.

I've always disliked the Red Wings. I'm on board.

Mike McDermott 03-08-2013 10:11 AM

Detroit not only in our conference but our division? Looks like not only am I going to get more grief from my family about my main team but I'm going to have to find a new 2nd team.

It's always been easy to route for Detroit.... it's going to get a lot harder now.

MacOfNiagara 03-08-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clock (Post 61235391)
Good, I like it. Detroit and Tampa are going to force this team to keep it real.

Will be interesting to see cooper coaching against his former parent club.

aceface33 03-08-2013 10:21 AM

So how are playoffs going to work? 4 from each division? Or two division winners and then the next 6 highest in points?

Tim Murray 03-08-2013 10:21 AM

I'm all for the Panthers in our division. More games for me!

RattleYourSabre 03-08-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceface33 (Post 61238621)
So how are playoffs going to work? 4 from each division? Or two division winners and then the next 6 highest in points?

There's some mixed answers. I've heard two things:

1) top four in each division
2) top three in each division plus the next two teams highest in points in the conference (wild card system)

MayDay 03-08-2013 10:24 AM

If they are going to go for unbalanced divisions/conferences, they should have just gone with their original idea of 4 separate conferences with no subdivisions.

As it is now, 8 of 14 teams make it in the West but only 8 of 16 teams make it in the East. That's not really fair at all. It is inherently harder to make the playoffs in the East, and the wildcard system doesn't solve that at all.

Here's how to fix it and make it fair if they really want to keep the current structure:
1) Top 8 make it in the East and Top 7 make it in the West. That's 50% of the teams in each conference, so that's fair.
2) Since you need 16 teams for the playoffs, the 16th playoff spot will go to the best remaining record, whether that team be in the East or the West. This team will be slotted in as the bottom seed in the Western playoff bracket. If it's an Eastern team, they'll have to deal with a lot of travel, but I think in most cases a team in that position should be just happy to make the playoffs at all.

TehDoak 03-08-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceface33 (Post 61238621)

I believe its 3 from each division and 2 wild cards. And the first two rounds of the playoffs will be kept within the division?

So lets say Detroit, Boston, Ottawa, and Buffalo make the playoffs (in that order), 1st round would be Detroit vs Buffalo, Boston vs Ottawa

I believe if there is 5 teams that make it one and 3 in the other, the lowest wildcard team would play in the other divisions playoff?

EDIT: I could be totally off on that, but that is how I understood it.

Jame 03-08-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehDoak (Post 61238793)
I believe its 3 from each division and 2 wild cards. And the first two rounds of the playoffs will be kept within the division?

So lets say Detroit, Boston, Ottawa, and Buffalo make the playoffs (in that order), 1st round would be Detroit vs Buffalo, Boston vs Ottawa

I believe if there is 5 teams that make it one and 3 in the other, the lowest wildcard team would play in the other divisions playoff?

me too

the 16 vs 14 thing bothers me... are they thinking expansion?

smitter88 03-08-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayDay (Post 61238785)
2) Since you need 16 teams for the playoffs, the 16th playoff spot will go to the best remaining record, whether that team be in the East or the West. This team will be slotted in as the bottom seed in the Western playoff bracket. If it's an Eastern team, they'll have to deal with a lot of travel, but I think in most cases a team in that position should be just happy to make the playoffs at all.

But then you punish the top seed in the West?

RattleYourSabre 03-08-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jame (Post 61238917)
me too

the 16 vs 14 thing bothers me... are they thinking expansion?

Absolutely. Seattle, Portland, Toronto/Markham and Quebec have all been talked about, I believe.

With the current set up, though, the two teams would need to be west coast based. Unless an east coast team were to relocate west.

The other thing that could happen, should Toronto secure a second franchise, is that the NHL makes it part of the deal that they have to play in the west on a western conference time schedule.

But expansion is definitely in the plans, and I suspect that's why they say they want to evaluate it prior to the 15/16 season.

MayDay 03-08-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TehDoak (Post 61238793)

As I understood it, the best division winner will play the lower-seeded wildcard regardless of division. And the lower-seeded division winner would play the higher-seeded wildcard.

So you could have four teams from each division make it, but each division winner playing a wildcard team from the other division.