HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Dubnyk . . . not the problem (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1370719)

oil10 03-08-2013 09:30 AM

Dubnyk . . . not the problem

I am getting tired of hearing how bad Dubnyk is playing. He isn't the one losing the games for us. He may let in a soft one now and then but he comes up with more big saves. If he was to stop the soft ones and let the tough shots go in, the games would be worse . . . . not better.

He has held this team in games that they don't deserve to be in. He is the one that has to work the hardest on the team because the puck is always in his zone and the shots are 30+ to 20- for the opponents. He needs help in front of him.

So I don't blame Dubnyk for the reason the Oilers are playing so bad. Ya he has had some bad games but the players are supposed to win some for their goalie.

Seems like the players are getting beat to the puck, can't get it out of their zone and when they are in the opponents zone they are luck if they get one shot and then its out again.

How do you win games . . . . . YOU SCORE GOALS !!!!!!

joestevens29 03-08-2013 09:37 AM

If the offense was scoring 3+ goals a night I'd look at Dubnyk, but until then he is far from the problem.

Grod 03-08-2013 09:38 AM

We currently own the league lead for shot faced per game on average and are 20th for shots taken. What that doesn't elude to is scoring opportunities which unfortunately in my opinion should place us somewhere deeper in the dead last dimension.

Musashi 03-08-2013 09:38 AM

Agreed

I still think the cats out of the bag on whether he will be the long term goalie here but hard to fault him for whats been going on this year.

He's given this team plenty of chances to be in games and to win games and the team has absolutely given him nothing in return

Insta 03-08-2013 09:56 AM

Give up the most shots in the league, middle of the pack in goals against. Dubnyk isn't the problem. Attention should be focused on the God-awful team in front of him.

Yablo21 03-08-2013 10:08 AM

Agreed, he has done very well considering all the horrendous chances we have allowed

Gone 03-08-2013 10:21 AM

Dubnyk is the problem. I witnessed 2 or 3 times last night when he had the puck on his stick, with no Detroit players nearby. He could of fired the puck down the ice at the Detroit net ... but what does he do, he just leaves it behind the net for someone else. How the heck are we going to score goals if we don't take the chances given to us!

frag2 03-08-2013 10:30 AM

Letting weak goals = Still a problem. I could care less if he was making 30+ saves a night when the one he lets in was a weak one.

Sure, the team up front is playing like crap but that doesn't absolve him from his weak play. Perhaps his "big easy" mentality isn't competitive enough and coupled with the fact that Tambo had said he's the starter right from the get go, he doesn't need to "work harder"

oil10 03-08-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gone (Post 61241193)
Dubnyk is the problem. I witnessed 2 or 3 times last night when he had the puck on his stick, with no Detroit players nearby. He could of fired the puck down the ice at the Detroit net ... but what does he do, he just leaves it behind the net for someone else. How the heck are we going to score goals if we don't take the chances given to us!

What????
So with no opponent around, you want the goalie to fire the puck down the ice?? I strongly disagree, he should leave it behind his net for his team to pick it up. That give them control of the puck so they can go down and have a chance.

Your message doesn't make any sense to me.

OilDrop37 03-08-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil10 (Post 61241785)
What????
So with no opponent around, you want the goalie to fire the puck down the ice?? I strongly disagree, he should leave it behind his net for his team to pick it up. That give them control of the puck so they can go down and have a chance.

Your message doesn't make any sense to me.

Because it was a joke

488fitter 03-08-2013 10:49 AM

This whole letting in weak goals is a joke. All the elite goalies let it weak goals at times too. He has kept us in pretty much every game he's played in. If the offence could figure their **** out, his record could very well be 10-6-1. Have to score to win. Dubnyk has done his job so far this year IMO.

Giggli G 03-08-2013 10:52 AM

Given the absolutely inane number of glorious opportunities we give up, there is absolutely nothing wrong with his play. He is one of the few players on the team who deserves great praise.

dnicks17 03-08-2013 10:53 AM

A team plays a lot different when they don't have confidence in the guy behind them.

They also play a lot different after they've been deflated by a weak first period goal.

Dubnyk definitely hasn't been helping us win games lately.

oil10 03-08-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnicks17 (Post 61242849)
A team plays a lot different when they don't have confidence in the guy behind them.

They also play a lot different after they've been deflated by a weak first period goal.

Dubnyk definitely hasn't been helping us win games lately.

So when Dubnyk is stopping 30+ shots and keeping the team in the game, where is the teams confidence then? What about Dubnyk's confidence in his team . . . keeping them in games and having his team allow 30+ shots on net. Talk about frustrating.

Also if they deflate that easy then maybe they are not ready to play in the NHL. When your goalie lets a soft one in you go down and get it back.

You need to score to win games.

Aerchon 03-08-2013 11:06 AM

Dub had 3 or so weak games at the begginning of the season. This road trip he has been bad more than good. But overall he is doing well. Last night he had a strong game IMO. It's too bad his effort was wasted by the weak forwards.

NAF 03-08-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gone (Post 61241193)

Absolutely. Dubnyk's Corsi is just brutal. Look, he's obviously very good defensively in his own zone and an excellent shot blocker, but at some point he's got to start pitching in on offence and helping to put the puck in the net. His neutral zone play has been practically nonexistent, his shifts are waaaaay too long, he refuses to go into the corners and get his nose dirty, and his stick handling and playmaking are an absolute joke (though I think his skating and shot are underrated on these boards). All in all, a good defensive player and I love his size, but at some point, he has to turn the corner and round into a more complete two-way goalie if he is going to have a future with this club.

joestevens29 03-08-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NAF (Post 61243595)
Absolutely. Dubnyk's Corsi is just brutal. Look, he's obviously very good defensively in his own zone and an excellent shot blocker, but at some point he's got to start pitching in on offence and helping to put the puck in the net. His neutral zone play has been practically nonexistent, his shifts are waaaaay too long, he refuses to go into the corners and get his nose dirty, and his stick handling and playmaking are an absolute joke (though I think his skating and shot are underrated on these boards). All in all, a good defensive player and I love his size, but at some point, he has to turn the corner and round into a more complete two-way goalie if he is going to have a future with this club.

Come on he isn't that bad at playing the puck.

oilfaninvan 03-08-2013 11:14 AM

He's not THE problem, but he is definitely part of it.

He is guaranteed to let in at LEAST one goal every game. This is based on fact.

topchowda 03-08-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Pretty soft to, has nearly zero hits maybe one against Dillon, sometimes you gotta play the body.

When is he going to score to? High first round pick without a goal yet, he was obviously rushed into the NHL

Replacement 03-08-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Joking aside Dubnyk has identified weaknesses. He's poor at handling the puck, indecisive about making plays for the puck that are close to him.
He often loses sight of the puck on rebounds(and he gives up some fat rebounds) One thing with Dubnyk that he has a hell of a problem with is rebounds off the backboards. He has trouble knowing how to play these and is not confident in it. If I was an opponent I would band a few pucks off the endboards every game and see what comes of it.

Next, Dubs it terribad at telegraphing going down and being down on knees far too early. For instance on the second goal last nght he's facing somebody that hasn't scored all year. He's down way too early(instead of quickly coming out and challenging and closing off(again this is not a goalscorer or consummate play maker he's facing. Dubs had to come out a bit on that and take the shot away. Instead he's tight to the crease, down on knees, and all kinds of topshelf available.

The first goal was a complete joke. Dubnyk also had 4 shots ring off goalposts that he should've been able to nab. Interestingly in the space of say a few minutes 3 pucks got by him.

But definitely Dubs let the team down with the first GA.

Moose Coleman 03-08-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frag2 (Post 61241679)
Letting weak goals = Still a problem. I could care less if he was making 30+ saves a night when the one he lets in was a weak one.

Sure, the team up front is playing like crap but that doesn't absolve him from his weak play.

Last night's first goal was weak for sure. But then, it was one Detroit forward against four Oilers. I'm sure Dubnyk probably figured they had it covered.

Quote:

Perhaps his "big easy" mentality isn't competitive enough and coupled with the fact that Tambo had said he's the starter right from the get go, he doesn't need to "work harder"
I'd say it's more due to lapses in focus than a lack of effort. It's like he just...spaces out sometimes. Still, all the same, he's a better option than anything else we have.

shoop 03-08-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oilfaninvan (Post 61243927)
He's not THE problem, but he is definitely part of it.

He is guaranteed to let in at LEAST one goal every game. This is based on fact.

To be fair there have probably been three games this season where he hasn't let in a soft goal. :sarcasm:

The inconsistency will ultimately be the hallmark of Dubnyk's career.

He played like an all-star in January. Went 4-2-1.

Then the troubles came and he has been 2-6-3 since.

That one weak goal most games kills the team.

Oh well, this season is a write off now. Add a potential #1 goalie to the shopping list for the off season.

Halibut 03-08-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topchowda (Post 61244069)
Pretty soft to, has nearly zero hits maybe one against Dillon, sometimes you gotta play the body.

When is he going to score to? High first round pick without a goal yet, he was obviously rushed into the NHL

You guys arent looking at all the stats. Check out his zone starts, nobody else comes even close to starting in their own end as often as he does. Personally I think Kruger is hampering his offensive talents by such an imbalance.:sarcasm:

Hockey Buddha 03-08-2013 11:41 AM

Dubnyk is definitely the problem. It seems like he's always on the ice when the other team scores. He has zero goals. Zero assists. He's just way too defensive. I don't think he even has a shot on goal this season. How's he supposed to score if he doesn't shoot? And, what about that stick? How's he supposed to take a point shot with that stick? :rant: Krueger over plays him if you ask me. What kind of a message is he sending the other young forwards?
Krueger: Eberle, Nuge, I want you to start producing more.

Hopkins and Eberle [in unison]: What about him? When was the last time he scored?[point to Dubnyk]

Krueger: He's 6'5, and this team needs size, you punks.

Tommy35 03-08-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frag2 (Post 61241679)

Sure, the team up front is playing like crap but that doesn't absolve him from his weak play. Perhaps his "big easy" mentality isn't competitive enough and coupled with the fact that Tambo had said he's the starter right from the get go, he doesn't need to "work harder"

Pretty well it. Sad but true., we should give Danis a lot more starts, nothing to loose