HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Chicago Blackhawks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Around the NHL III: Playoff Push Edition (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1370871)

Cullksinikers 03-08-2013 12:11 PM

Around the NHL III: Playoff Push Edition

And...

...go!

madgoat33 03-08-2013 12:12 PM

good holy jesus that's pretty outrageous

Sarava 03-08-2013 12:12 PM

Wow....

RayP 03-08-2013 12:15 PM

So is Anaheim the first team that gets burned by not being able to tack on low cost years at the end to lower the hit?

Cullksinikers 03-08-2013 12:22 PM

Perry will get the moon.

No Fun Shogun 03-08-2013 12:22 PM

So much for a hometown, long-term discount....

Cullksinikers 03-08-2013 12:27 PM

I bet we sign Kane and Toews to identical deals of around an $8.5 million AAV in a couple years.

TorMenT 03-08-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cullksinikers (Post 61249035)
I bet we sign Kane and Toews to identical deals of around an $8.5 million AAV in a couple years.

I hope they watched Tom Brady and apply the same though process of not signing for the max they can get to better Chicago all around and help win more cups. I wish all players had that mentality.

Blackhawkswincup 03-08-2013 12:38 PM

Awful overpayment

Ducks must have been desperate to make sure face of franchise stayed

RayP 03-08-2013 12:49 PM

I really hope Rocky just slides them like $10M each behind the scenes in exchange for a cheaper contract.

madgoat33 03-08-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TorMenT (Post 61249707)
I hope they watched Tom Brady and apply the same though process of not signing for the max they can get to better Chicago all around and help win more cups. I wish all players had that mentality.

Totally different situations. Toews and Kane don't make anything near what brady does off the field and neither are married to a wife who's worth like 20x what they are. Not to mention, brady's "discount" still would make him the highest paid player in the NHL.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayP (Post 61250645)
I really hope Rocky just slides them like $10M each behind the scenes in exchange for a cheaper contract.

whenever the bulls want to sign a big name guy, I always wonder why reinsdorf doesn't just also sign them to a BS deal with the white sox to pay them way more than any other NBA team could offer and also lessen the cap hit.

HjamSandwich 03-08-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madgoat33 (Post 61251263)

whenever the bulls want to sign a big name guy, I always wonder why reinsdorf doesn't just also sign them to a BS deal with the white sox to pay them way more than any other NBA team could offer and also lessen the cap hit.

Do you actually wonder why he doesn't do this?

Cullksinikers 03-08-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayP (Post 61250645)

Yes, and then the Hawks get nailed for cap circumvention and lose a draft.

Sarava 03-08-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayP (Post 61248163)
So is Anaheim the first team that gets burned by not being able to tack on low cost years at the end to lower the hit?

I think it might be more of a case of many players not wanting to play there and them having to massively overpay to get him to sign.

TorMenT 03-08-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madgoat33 (Post 61251263)
Totally different situations. Toews and Kane don't make anything near what brady does off the field and neither are married to a wife who's worth like 20x what they are. Not to mention, brady's "discount" still would make him the highest paid player in the NHL.

They still make way more than enough to live comfortably on.

madgoat33 03-08-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HjamSandwich (Post 61251621)
Do you actually wonder why he doesn't do this?

not really. But would be cool to see it happen. Like if he had offered lebron a max deal then also tacked on like a 6yr 90mil contract with the sox.

Get ****ed NBA and give us all your trophies.

RayP 03-08-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarava (Post 61252013)
I think it might be more of a case of many players not wanting to play there and them having to massively overpay to get him to sign.

Possibly... But say they tack on two years at $1M each to this deal, that brings it down to 6.8, which is perfectly around what he should be getting. Since they can't do that, they're stuck with that cap hit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cullksinikers (Post 61251971)
Yes, and then the Hawks get nailed for cap circumvention and lose a draft.

Straight cash, no paper trail, yo!

I'm really only kidding... but hell, if we got 10 year contracts at ~6M or so, I'd give up 2 full drafts for 10 year deals for those two, at such reasonable contracts.

Illinihockey 03-08-2013 01:23 PM

Getzlaf is going to be 28 when that contract starts too.

Atomic Punk 03-08-2013 01:25 PM

That is quite an overpayment in my opinion. Something to remember when everyone here thinks we can keep both Stal and Bollie with the contracts Kane and Toews are due soon.

MTP 03-08-2013 01:38 PM

MASSIVE overpayment. Getzlaf is not an $8m a year player with this cap structure. Terrible contract.

zytz 03-08-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTP (Post 61253739)
MASSIVE overpayment. Getzlaf is not an $8m a year player with this cap structure. Terrible contract.

I think this is why everyone is shocked... because I think Getzlaf IS an 8m player under this cap structure. Cap is going to reflect what's actually paid much more accurately than in the past... unlike Hossa or Keith for example.... who are getting paid for a very friendly cap hit.

Unfortunately... now if you have a player that's going to get paid, you're going to see that number on the salary cap too, and it's going to be large.

Depending on how their seasons go until the time comes... wouldn't be at all surprised for Kane/Toews contracts to hit 8.5-9m hit.

I pretty much expect Perry's contract to be north of 9M.

Cullksinikers 03-08-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RayP (Post 61252795)
Possibly... But say they tack on two years at $1M each to this deal, that brings it down to 6.8, which is perfectly around what he should be getting. Since they can't do that, they're stuck with that cap hit.

Straight cash, no paper trail, yo!

I'm really only kidding... but hell, if we got 10 year contracts at ~6M or so, I'd give up 2 full drafts for 10 year deals for those two, at such reasonable contracts.

They would void the contracts, too.

:laugh:

RayP 03-08-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cullksinikers (Post 61254437)
They would void the contracts, too.

:laugh:

Oh, duh. :laugh:

:facepalm:

MTP 03-08-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zytz (Post 61254275)
I think this is why everyone is shocked... because I think Getzlaf IS an 8m player under this cap structure. Cap is going to reflect what's actually paid much more accurately than in the past... unlike Hossa or Keith for example.... who are getting paid for a very friendly cap hit.

Unfortunately... now if you have a player that's going to get paid, you're going to see that number on the salary cap too, and it's going to be large.

Depending on how their seasons go until the time comes... wouldn't be at all surprised for Kane/Toews contracts to hit 8.5-9m hit.

I pretty much expect Perry's contract to be north of 9M.

I find it hard to justify spending 1/8th of your salary on a single player unless he's a world class talent. Getzlaf is one of the better centers in the west but he's had consistency issues his entire career and his current hot streak has a lot to do with this contract. In a $70m+ cap league, this contract is at least understandable. When it drops to $64m, it becomes atrocious.

Hawkaholic 03-08-2013 02:06 PM

I don't see why his contract is THAT bad. Some team was going to pay him that much, and Anaheim would have to try and replace him somehow. Doesn't make any sense for Anaheim not to give him that contract and lose him for picks/prospects and lesser roster players.