HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Toronto Maple Leafs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Proposal: Buyouts (Grabovski) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1371009)

philadelphiakessel81 03-08-2013 03:10 PM

Buyouts (Grabovski)

With Grabovski over paid and not producing at a 5 million dollar player would you consider buying him out and spending your money on Bozak or a 1C free agent? I personally would buy out Grabovski and Komisarek but wait until the end of next year for Grabovski to give him a chance to justify his cap. What does everyone think?

Leafs For Life* 03-08-2013 03:14 PM

So don't get anything in return for Grabovski? Waste an asset?

philadelphiakessel81 03-08-2013 03:15 PM

do you think we could trade him for something with that contract? And technically adding 5.50 of cap space is an asset

PasDaSquini 03-08-2013 03:17 PM

Umm Bozak is the best centre UFA come this summer, imo. Ribeiro and Elias are also UFA's this summer. I do not think Elias will be let go form the Devils and I do not see anything in Ribeiro that Grabovski or Bozak cannot provide.

rdawg1234 03-08-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philadelphiakessel81 (Post 61258753)
do you think we could trade him for something with that contract? And technically adding 5.75 of cap space is an asset

yes of course we can, he's slightly underperforming, but he's not pulling a gomez here.

he has a 5.5m cap hit btw.

his value is lowish right now though, so I wouldnt trade him, but he can play defense at the very least so a buyout would just be silly.

philadelphiakessel81 03-08-2013 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PasDaSquini (Post 61258873)
Umm Bozak is the best centre UFA come this summer, imo. Ribeiro and Elias are also UFA's this summer. I do not think Elias will be let go form the Devils and I do not see anything in Ribeiro that Grabovski or Bozak cannot provide.

Thats why I said hold on to him for a year to give him a chance and also a better FA group or development of a player. Only issue I have is his cap hit, if it was 3.5-4 mill different story

BlueBaron 03-08-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philadelphiakessel81 (Post 61258507)
With Grabovski over paid and not producing at a 5 million dollar player would you consider buying him out and spending your money on Bozak or a 1C free agent? I personally would buy out Grabovski and Komisarek but wait until the end of next year for Grabovski to give him a chance to justify his cap. What does everyone think?

His production has a lot to do with the role he has been put in. If Washington's coach put Backstrom in a shut down roll, and his numbers dropped accordingly, should the GM suddenly buy him out ? To me he is tradable and he probably should be moved this summer.

ULF_55 03-08-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philadelphiakessel81 (Post 61258507)

No I wouldn't do that.

What I'd do is switch around Kadri and Grabovski's roles.

I'd put Kadri out for the majority of the defensive zone assignments and let Grabovski take the majority of the offensive zone assignments.

I'd line Kadri up against the best offensive lines the Leafs face. He's younger so he could probably learn to be a defensive centerman easier than the older Grabovski.

Komisarek should be bought out if no one is interested in him. Good for the team, player and league.

philadelphiakessel81 03-08-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueBaron (Post 61259173)
His production has a lot to do with the role he has been put in. If Washington's coach put Backstrom in a shut down roll, and his numbers dropped accordingly, should the GM suddenly buy him out ?

He was forced to be in that role because his low production, thus a guy with a low cap hit could do the same job Grabo is currently doing

BlueBaron 03-08-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philadelphiakessel81 (Post 61259239)
He was forced to be in that role because his low production, thus a guy with a low cap hit could do the same job Grabo is currently doing

He's been in that role all year dude.

Longshot 03-08-2013 03:26 PM

Komisarek and Liles are going to be bought out this summer.

Currently the Leafs are weakest at centre and Grabovski plays second line minutes and is on a manageable contract (if you doubt that look up the deal Travis Zajac signed).

There is no way the Leafs are going to further weaken themselves at centre by buying out Grabovski and watching him walk away for nothing - not when they have two d-men they're not using on big deals that they can dispense with and open up significant cap space.

BlueBaron 03-08-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ULF_55 (Post 61259187)
No I wouldn't do that.

I'd put Kadri out for the majority of the defensive zone assignments and let Grabovski take the majority of the offensive zone assignments.

I'd line Kadri up against the best offensive lines the Leafs face. He's younger so he could probably learn to be a defensive centerman easier than the older Grabovski.

Komisarek should be bought out if no one is interested in him. Good for the team, player and league.

He's also a lot more likely to be able to learn the #1 center job, maybe that would be more useful ?

PasDaSquini 03-08-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philadelphiakessel81 (Post 61259049)
Thats why I said hold on to him for a year to give him a chance and also a better FA group or development of a player. Only issue I have is his cap hit, if it was 3.5-4 mill different story

I think you trade him, tbh. Move Kadri up to the second Line, put McClement on the third and pick up a energy guy or retain steckel for the fourth line. It will not matter until the summer anyways, doubt the leafs do anything this deadline.

BlueBaron 03-08-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longshot (Post 61259363)
Komisarek and Liles are going to be bought out this summer.

Currently the Leafs are weakest at centre and Grabovski plays second line minutes and is on a manageable contract (if you doubt that look up the deal Travis Zajac signed).

There is no way the Leafs are going to further weaken themselves at centre by buying out Grabovski and watching him walk away for nothing - not when they have two d-men they're not using on big deals that they can dispense with and open up significant cap space.

Liles is tradable and on a reasonable contract, makes 0 sense to buy him out. Komi is a buy-out-boy I think.

The Blue Devil 03-08-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PasDaSquini (Post 61258873)

:laugh:
You're kidding right?

Other than FO's Ribeiro is better than Bozak at everything, same with Grabo. Then there's Weiss, while not a huge upgrade on Bozak, he's still better(Granted with his recent injury it could severly effect him).

As for the OP, what would be the point in buying him out. He's not hindering our cap right now. Come UFA we're gonna have the rest of Lombardi's contract gone, Connolly and most likely a Komi buy-out, that's about 11mil right there. It also doesn't look like Liles is gonna be here much longer, depending on what happens that's more cap space. Honestly, if Bozak wants more than 4mil then you don't sign him.

The Blue Devil 03-08-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philadelphiakessel81 (Post 61259239)

He was put in a similar role last year and was put in it strictly since the beginning of this year, so no it wasn't because of his lack of offense considering he was never put in an offensive role to begin with.

Longshot 03-08-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueBaron (Post 61259531)
Liles is tradable and on a reasonable contract, makes 0 sense to buy him out. Komi is a buy-out-boy I think.

If they can trade him great, but I doubt they move a contract like that without taking a similar contract in return (after this year Liles has three more years at $3.875 million - not a punitive cap hit, but not insignificant for a player that can't get in the lineup). Nonis would deserve a statue if he received something tangible for a d-man on a long-term contract that can't make his roster.

I'm actually surprised they haven't bought out Komi (I'm not sure about the rules for the buy outs, perhaps they could only be used before the season started like New York did with Redden and Montreal did with Gomez). With Gardiner in the minors and now Liles in the press box the only scenario that I can see Komi getting back into the lineup would involve a catastrophic run of injuries.

The Blue Devil 03-08-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ULF_55 (Post 61259187)
No I wouldn't do that.

Why not try switiching up all 3 centers roles? Maybe not now, but later down the road. Use Grabo as the secondary offensive weapon, Kadri at 1 and Bozak 3. Or try Grabo at 1 see if it works, keep Kadri as #2 until he's ready for #1.

Suntouchable13 03-08-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Blue Devil (Post 61259543)
:laugh:
You're kidding right?

Other than FO's Ribeiro is better than Bozak at everything, same with Grabo. Then there's Weiss, while not a huge upgrade on Bozak, he's still better(Granted with his recent injury it could severly effect him).

As for the OP, what would be the point in buying him out. He's not hindering our cap right now. Come UFA we're gonna have the rest of Lombardi's contract gone, Connolly and most likely a Komi buy-out, that's about 11mil right there. It also doesn't look like Liles is gonna be here much longer, depending on what happens that's more cap space. Honestly, if Bozak wants more than 4mil then you don't sign him.

Haha, if somebody signs Bozak for 4+ mil, I will laugh. Ooooh he can win faceoffs and look barely average playing with Kessel, he is such a good player :sarcasm:

Earth Rocker 03-08-2013 03:43 PM

Bozak is so underrated.

tml145 03-08-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philadelphiakessel81 (Post 61258753)
do you think we could trade him for something with that contract? And technically adding 5.50 of cap space is an asset

if Getzlaf is worth 8.5

Grabo is worth at least 5

tml145 03-08-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philadelphiakessel81 (Post 61259049)

Leafs havnt spent to the cap since it was introduced

The Blue Devil 03-08-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 (Post 61260065)
Haha, if somebody signs Bozak for 4+ mil, I will laugh. Ooooh he can win faceoffs and look barely average playing with Kessel, he is such a good player :sarcasm:

Whaa? Don't you see all that space he creates for his line and those crisp and clean passes he makes? What about those beautiful behind the back passes that lead to odd-man rushes?

The Blue Devil 03-08-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrownieLeafer (Post 61260151)
Bozak is so underrated.

?

He's over-rated just because he's good on the dot, which he hasn't been that great at the past couple of games.

Remuskokafication 03-08-2013 03:55 PM

Bozak is NEVER a liability on the ice. Add to that the fact that he occasionally sets up/scores beauties and always covers for the D and he's a really legit player.
He might not be a "#1 center" but he's definitely a center that can play on a first line.