HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sabres need D-men (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=137104)

Rastin 04-01-2005 11:18 AM

Sabres need D-men

So I was thinking about the Sabres the other day and can see them making some moves once the CBA crap gets sorted out. They have an abundance of forwards with some interesting potential and a real dearth of D-men in the system. As I see it the Sabres can stand to move 3-4 decent Forwards without hurting themselves badly on Offense. They can be Ales Kotalik, Tim Connolly, Taylor Pyatt, Clarke Macarthur, Jason Pominville, Milan Bartovic or Michael Ryan. So with this amount of "expendable" depth on offense, I'd hope they'd pull some deals to bolster their defense or at least defensive prospects. So to that end heres a few deals that I could see...

To Tampa Bay: Clarke MacArtur and a 5th Round Pick
To Buffalo: Matt Smaby

Simple prospect switch here, replaces solid smallish offensive prospect for a good d-prospect. Who also comes form Drew Staffords North Dakota team. Pick tossed in because, in my opinion, Smaby is a safer prospect.

To Edmonton: Ales Kotalik
To Buffalo: Doug Lynch and a fourth round Pick

Edmonton gets offensive help now in exchange for a solid top four d-man in a few years.

To Pittsburgh: Jason Pominville and Milan Bartovic or Tim Connolly or Taylor Pyatt
To Buffalo: Brooks Orpik

Not sure if Pittsburgh would move Orpik but would LOVE to see him in a Sabres Uniform :) Combination of Pominville and Pyatt might be tempting though. If Orpiks not Available I'd probaby move Pominville for Noah Welch straight up.

Only the Orpik deal would have an immediate effect on the Sabres current roster but any or all of these deals would really set the Sabres up for great things in a few years. I also looked at Atlanta, who has a bunch of solid D-prospects but didn't really see anything that made much sense. Any Thoughts?

misfit 04-01-2005 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rastin

Edmonton gets offensive help now in exchange for a solid top four d-man in a few years.

I know the Oilers were VERY high on Stafford at the draft last year, so I can imagine they'd want him in any trade with Buffalo despite having an abundance of LWs already. I think they'd have to add more to Lynch than a 4th, but I think they'd have no problem doing that. Maybe Woywitka or Lynch and a 2nd or 3rd? Semenov? I have no idea what Stafford's value is from a Sabre's standpoint, but I do know they wanted a defenceman rather than a forward when they picked him.

I also can't see the Pens trading Orpik, especially not for that package.

Habsfan 32 04-01-2005 11:49 AM

I don't think the Pens are going to trade Orpik. He's a great defensive defenseman and he's cheap. He's got futur captain writtin' all over him so I don't think they are going to move him.

Vatican Roulette 04-01-2005 02:56 PM

Orpik? Vanek is what i think Pitts would ask for, i know thats what i would ask for. Maybe Roy and a pick, i dunno.

Buffalo would be better off hitting the UFA market.

RoyIsALegend* 04-01-2005 05:36 PM

I'm a Sabres fan, but if Buffalo wanted Orpik, then the Pens are talking Vanek and/or Miller.

PapaBear* 04-01-2005 06:35 PM

TO BUFFALO: VANNANEN AND HINOTE
TO COLORADO: DRURY

Id do this in a heartbeat, Drury back in Col, I know it wont happen.

RoyIsALegend* 04-01-2005 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PapaBear

I wouldn't trade Ossi Vaananen alone for Chris Drury, nevermind adding Dan Hinote.

Why do you just throw out all these random proposals without any thought into them? :shakehead

Mr Brownstone 04-01-2005 09:51 PM

Quote:

Sign me up for this one.

As for the MacArthur deal, I like MacArthur a lot, but with Paille in the organziation already, I think they can afford to move him. Then too, I don't know a whole lot about Smaby.

SuperNintendoChalmrs 04-02-2005 04:38 AM

I can see the Sabres making a trade for a defenseman whenever the league decides to start up again. I don't think any of the trade scenarios in this thread would pan out though. Anyone know if Zhitnik may still come back? That would lessen the need some.

Vic Rattlehead* 04-02-2005 09:06 AM

Quote:

That would be a bad trade for Colorado. Vaananen has very good upside as a defensive defenceman.

McMatty 04-02-2005 10:05 AM

I think if EDM were to deal a D to BUF, they would probably want a centre or goalie back. Two ideas (from a guy who is no good at this):

To BUF: Lynch
To EDM: Paille
Picks/toss ins, etc. to even it out.

OR

To EDM: Biron

I like the first trade idea better, but that's just me.

mattihp 04-02-2005 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19bruins19
That would be a bad trade for Colorado. Vaananen has very good upside as a defensive defenceman.

if you are to correct someone, you should write Väänänen ;) unlike accented letters like say à etc. ä, is a letter of it own's ^^

SuperNintendoChalmrs 04-02-2005 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H-Bear
I think if EDM were to deal a D to BUF, they would probably want a centre or goalie back. Two ideas (from a guy who is no good at this):

OR

I like the 2nd trade better. :D

Colorado Avalanche 04-02-2005 12:27 PM

Quote:

err, no way!
Hinote is the HEART of colorado and fans love him :)

Vaananen is still very good prospect, i mean he can improve still..

SedinFan* 04-02-2005 12:29 PM

Quote:

You never stop. :shakehead

Jamie 04-02-2005 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zack Attack
You never stop. :shakehead

It wasn't that bad... why does everyone have to attack him for making a proposal? And to be quite honest, not being an Av's fan, but someone who has followed their moves, this looks like the type of deal they could potentially make. Briere is a big time offensive weapon, if you want one, you have to give up something of value.

Personally I'm just sick and tired of seeing people get bashed on here when they make a proposal. If you don't like it, say, "I don't think that deal makes sense for team X because I think player Y will become a superstar and player Z is only good when... etc". Don't go insult the person, it's pointless and brings the conversation nowhere. Didn't peoples mothers ever teach them that if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all.

And by the way, Zack Attack, this isn't being directed at you personally, you were just the last person to hurl insult's at the poor poster that came up with the proposal.

andora 04-02-2005 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie
It wasn't that bad... why does everyone have to attack him for making a proposal? And to be quite honest, not being an Av's fan, but someone who has followed their moves, this looks like the type of deal they could potentially make. Briere is a big time offensive weapon, if you want one, you have to give up something of value.

Personally I'm just sick and tired of seeing people get bashed on here when they make a proposal. If you don't like it, say, "I don't think that deal makes sense for team X because I think player Y will become a superstar and player Z is only good when... etc". Don't go insult the person, it's pointless and brings the conversation nowhere. Didn't peoples mothers ever teach them that if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all.

And by the way, Zack Attack, this isn't being directed at you personally, you were just the last person to hurl insult's at the poor poster that came up with the proposal.

well that is fine and dandy, but i've also heard along the way that 'honesty is the best policy'..

papabear consistently just throws proposals out there without any thought behind them, usually resulting in disgusting proposals that involve player(s) team A or B really have no reason to move while gaining things they don't need...

that vaananen proposal is stupid... and if he cared to follow the threads over the past couple months discussing vaananen and his importance to the avs now and when foote goes it should have dinged in his head - hey, maybe this doesn't make sense for colorado to trade a defenseman they have big future plans for and a guy they gave up alot to get..

Paxon 04-02-2005 05:20 PM

Man would I love to get my hands on Orpik.

... and I wouldn't mind him being on the Sabres either. ;)

It'll never happen though; the Pens will want way too much and they deserve to demand it after years of giving away talent.

I'll take the Kotalik for Lynch deal, simply because we have way too many forwards.

Paxon 04-02-2005 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs
I like the 2nd trade better. :D

I agree. At this point, if we decide to move Biron that is about as much value as we can hope for. Goalies are like running backs in value these days.

Jamie 04-02-2005 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andora
well that is fine and dandy, but i've also heard along the way that 'honesty is the best policy'..

papabear consistently just throws proposals out there without any thought behind them, usually resulting in disgusting proposals that involve player(s) team A or B really have no reason to move while gaining things they don't need...

that vaananen proposal is stupid... and if he cared to follow the threads over the past couple months discussing vaananen and his importance to the avs now and when foote goes it should have dinged in his head - hey, maybe this doesn't make sense for colorado to trade a defenseman they have big future plans for and a guy they gave up alot to get..

So then ignore him. There's still no need to ridicule the guy because he makes bad proposals.

AnThGrt 04-02-2005 06:03 PM

If Buffalo needs a dman i cant think of proposal right now but I think the Kings may be thinking of trading Norstrom or Miller both would help amazingly in Buffalo espiacially Norstrom being one of the top 5 best defensive defensemen with that though i cant think of a proposal

Paxon 04-02-2005 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnThGrt
If Buffalo needs a dman i cant think of proposal right now but I think the Kings may be thinking of trading Norstrom or Miller both would help amazingly in Buffalo espiacially Norstrom being one of the top 5 best defensive defensemen with that though i cant think of a proposal

Miller is a local boy, so that may give Buffalo a bit more interest than they'd otherwise have.

I'd personally love to have Norstrom, as any fan would.

DontCallPlayersStuds 04-02-2005 06:50 PM

to Buffalo: Andrew Hutchinson OR Kevin Klein
to Nashville: Tim Connolly

eh? Two pretty highly regarded prospects(Hutch is NHL ready and would do a lot for Buffalo's PP) for a guy that could likely benefit from a change of scenery.

andora 04-02-2005 07:57 PM

like the deal for nashville NMK... i think connolly while the risk is easily there, still holds potential for reward.. if we could get him down a couple notches from his million plus currently it'd be golden..

and jamie... i'm sure he knows by now his proposals are not liked and are not well received (for reasons i already mentioned).. he's bringing it on himself IMO at this point, just tossing things out there hoping SOMETHING will stick... if he gets ridiculed, so be it, that's what happens..

if he is unaware, well, he should be picking up a hint by all the negative feedback on his proposals

TehDoak 04-02-2005 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H-Bear

OR

Ummm.....that 2nd deal...where do I sign?