HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Magnus is playing good. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1371267)

Rains 03-08-2013 11:01 PM

Magnus is playing good.

That's all I got.. Hey |I'm trying

nabob 03-08-2013 11:04 PM

He has been one of the few bright spots this season. Was asked to be a checker to start the season and did it very well. Got put in a top 6 role and has provided scoring and offensive zone pressure.

thadd 03-08-2013 11:20 PM

Can't say that Kevin Lowe fluked out on that one. He was ranked 4th or 5th best among all skaters when he was drafted. All K-Lowe did was go BPA.

Jarvi 03-08-2013 11:27 PM

Maggie and Gagner have been real treats compared to most everyone else on the team. Funny though how last year everyone that the board had problems with is now doing good, whereas Nuge and Ebs our golden boys are doing terrible. Same with Petry and Nick Schultz. Even Hemmer as a positive to an extent.

ohheyhemsky 03-11-2013 03:54 AM

He's been a complete and utter beast since being recalled. If we get into a situation where we need to send an AHL player down, it better not be PRV.

Plus, him and Gagner always seem to have chemistry.

Him, Gags and Omark worked. Leave Yak on that line Ralph.

plikestechno 03-11-2013 05:45 AM

He's humbled himself enough now to accept what he needs to do to keep an NHL job as opposed to what's comfortable to him and hopefully he just keeps getting better. He really doesn't want to get on a plane to OKC ever again. Hopefully next year when he's given a spot he stays consistent and doesn't get too comfortable.

He had a lot of hype coming over his rookie season. I remember pierre maguire touting him for rookie of the year. He was also by far BPA when we drafted him. The announcers were surprised he was still there, Tambo had full troll face going.

I'm just happy that he's getting to the point where if he keeps his intensity consistently high he can be a career nhler. And its not just him, hopefully all the young guys on our team are learning that you have to play with grit and win battles to win games. Eberle be damned though he actually tried to play defense for once tonight. Very cute.

Jepprey 03-11-2013 07:00 AM

I like.

joestevens29 03-11-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabob (Post 61284947)
He has been one of the few bright spots this season. Was asked to be a checker to start the season and did it very well. Got put in a top 6 role and has provided scoring and offensive zone pressure.

I like the way he worked his way up the lineup. We need more of that. Get guys comfortable with smaller roles first.

Moose Coleman 03-11-2013 09:51 AM

Well. He's playing well.

Pointteen 03-11-2013 09:55 AM

He had a slick pass to Gags last night.
Well, good effort at least.

jumptheshark 03-11-2013 09:57 AM

It is called development. MPS is starting to adapt to the NA style of play

CornKicker 03-11-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thadd (Post 61286103)
Can't say that Kevin Lowe fluked out on that one. He was ranked 4th or 5th best among all skaters when he was drafted. All K-Lowe did was go BPA.

well he kind of did fluke out because the stars took scott glennie right before, i dont think anyone who had watched either of then really thought glennie was better than PRV, lol stars got a bust that most saw coming and we got PRV.

Trafalgar Law 03-11-2013 10:27 AM

*well

Hopefully he's a late bloomer like the Sedins (although I'd obviously be happy if he ends up half as good as them).

MoneyGuy 03-11-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose Coleman (Post 61432179)
Well. He's playing well.

Maybe the OP means Magnus does charity work.

Toydarian 03-11-2013 10:32 AM

Long term, I think Paajarvi's slower development curve will be a major benefit.

dustrock 03-11-2013 10:56 AM

His hands suddenly don't look like they're stone when his confidence increases.:handclap:

jsho 03-11-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moose Coleman (Post 61432179)
Well. He's playing well.

No, hes playing real good. Theirs been lots of reasons. I seen it.

cpsman 03-11-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsho (Post 61435965)
No, hes playing real good. Theirs been lots of reasons. I seen it.

:laugh:

5RingsAndABeer 03-11-2013 01:11 PM

If MPS turns out to be a good player, that's going to be huge for our top6. He's got size, speed, and is responsible defensively.

jukon 03-11-2013 01:11 PM

He certainly shows a willingness to play hard and go into the dirty areas but he does need to finish his checks. Teach the kid to lay a good clean bodycheck and his value will quadruple.

Bryanbryoil 03-11-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustrock (Post 61434237)
His hands suddenly don't look like they're stone when his confidence increases.:handclap:

He isn't treating the puck like a hand grenade now, he's able to get the puck to settle down a lot better too, before it seemed like every pass that was coming his way would jump over his stick. He looks like a completely different player right now.

ExOilerFan 03-11-2013 02:02 PM

MPS seems a lot more grittier. Definitely don't want to let him go since I can see him making progress in his overall game

Replacement 03-11-2013 02:25 PM

He's getting some results and having some fun. Looks like a different guy out there and in getting in front of the net lots in last couple weeks.

So credit to MPS going to the well and also using his speed more effectively for puck support. Previously he would go wide with puck, outstrip puck support, turn puck over. When in doubt now he'll dump if nobody is around and pursue puck with speed. Much more effective play and beating D's by doing it. What this says to me is MPS is now willing to dig in the corners. This hasn't always been something he's been prone to do.

Finally, and nothing could be more obvious, is for some reason Paajarvi really seems to like playing with Gagner. Offensively speaking his better days as an Oiler have always been with Gagner. Not sure whats up with that.

joestevens29 03-11-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukon (Post 61440339)
He certainly shows a willingness to play hard and go into the dirty areas but he does need to finish his checks. Teach the kid to lay a good clean bodycheck and his value will quadruple.

He laid some good ones early on. Not sure if they were planned or just happened.

Mr Forever 03-11-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky (Post 61427907)
He's been a complete and utter beast since being recalled. If we get into a situation where we need to send an AHL player down, it better not be PRV.

Plus, him and Gagner always seem to have chemistry.

Him, Gags and Omark worked. Leave Yak on that line Ralph.

How much credit should go to Todd Nelson, I wonder?

Players seem to get sent down and come back up completely different, especially MPS.