HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Question - Does Snider's family care about the Flyers? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1371289)

achdumeingute 03-08-2013 10:16 PM

Question - Does Snider's family care about the Flyers?

Say what you will about how business has been handled, but normally this team is a contender and Snider has a HUGE hand in ensuring that.

Unfortunately, father time is close to tolling the bell...and I'm wondering what the succession plan will be.

Thoughts?

Jtown 03-08-2013 10:31 PM

Not one bit especially Jay Snider who can't wait to sell the team to quebec

Mr Black 03-08-2013 10:34 PM

I hope Ed has 20 more years ahead of him.

SuchySays 03-08-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtown (Post 61286989)
Not one bit especially Jay Snider who can't wait to sell the team to quebec

:m-shocked:

really?

FLYERSFAN18 03-08-2013 10:40 PM

Don't think the NHL would allow that to happen. The flyers are to good of a draw for ratings to move them.

Jtown 03-08-2013 10:43 PM

I was being facetious. Jay Snider was invovled in the flyers org for quite some time before a career move. Im sure he will gladly run the organization once his father passes.

achdumeingute 03-08-2013 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jtown (Post 61288035)
I was being facetious. Jay Snider was invovled in the flyers org for quite some time before a career move. Im sure he will gladly run the organization once his father passes.

WeekendAtBernies 03-08-2013 10:58 PM

I'm reasonably sure that once Snider retires / dies, Comcast will be the ones managing the team.

Ed Snider is technically no longer the owner of the Flyers. The Flyers are owned by Comcast Spectacor, which Ed Snider has a 37% stake compared to the 63% stake owned by Comcast. However, he remains technically in charge of the team because he is the chairman of Comcast Spectacor. Whether or not there's some type of handshake (or legal) agreement between Snider and Comcast that Snider remains Chairman until death/retirement is unknown, but I'd speculate that's probably the case.

After his death or retirement though, whichever family member inherits Snider's stake in the team will be a minority stakeholder with no true power over the operations of the Flyers and comcast will decide what to do with the team.

Psuhockey 03-09-2013 06:45 AM

Peter Luukko essentially runs the team now/ Snider is more or less a figure head who makes demands from time to time.

Haute Couturier 03-09-2013 09:58 AM

Wouldn't Luukko/Comcast completely run the team when he is gone?

dawkins121 03-09-2013 11:12 AM

Still, I think a lot of people underestimate how great (or unfortunate depending on how you feel about Homer) it is having power concentrated up top in a single owner, even if Luuko/Comcast run a lot of the show these days. It gives Flyers a HUGE edge in trades and player movements when multi million dollar transactions can be approved with a yes/no from one guy at the top of the pyramid instead of being run through the gamut of corporate decision making.

Dirty but Good 03-09-2013 12:29 PM

Is this thread a joke?? What do you want him to do? This isn't baseball you cant just buy all the best free agents every year.