HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Hockey Rinks in the Denver/Colorado Springs Area (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1371423)

Hank Moody 03-09-2013 04:48 AM

Hockey Rinks in the Denver/Colorado Springs Area

I'm thinking about moving to the Denver area (Aurora, Littleton, Englewood, or any suburb around there) or Colorado Springs in a few months. Of course, one of the first things I'll want to do is join a beer league whenever I move there. Does anyone know the best rinks for Men's League Hockey? I googled ice rinks in Colorado, but a lot of them are just for skating, and don't say anything about hockey.

I'm particularly interested in the Family Sports Center in Centennial, CO. I noticed that is where the Avalanche practice. Do they have Men's League Hockey at that rink?

7toZulu 03-09-2013 09:41 AM

From my experience, and what I've heard from other guys who play with me, Boulder Valley Ice is on of the best rinks for League/Drop-in hockey around Denver. Its a smaller rink that is run by people who actually care about hockey. Not sure about the family fun center though, as I've never skated there.

nickerjones 03-10-2013 11:58 PM

I thought ice ranch was pretty nice.

Maladus 03-11-2013 02:25 AM

I was in your shoes last year. I moved to Aurora last April and for the past summer league and this winter league I've played at the ice center at the promenade in Westminster and have had no problems. Their leagues are fairly balanced and there are plenty of different divisions for varying skill levels.

I've also played drop-in a few times at the ice ranch and had no complaints but I haven't been involved in any league play there. A few of the guys on my team also play at big bear ice arena but I haven't skated there yet, I know they have league play and drop-in.

bleedgreen 03-13-2013 10:29 AM

There's lots of leagues. One of the biggest is rmhl, which uses a few rinks but is mostly out of ice ranch and south suburban, which is in southwest Denver or Littleton area. Denver university has leagues and both DU and big bear arena are pretty central Denver.. The edge is in a similar era as the ice ranch and has leagues. Further north the promenade has a TON of leagues. I believe the family sports center also has leagues. They almost all have drop ins.

There no shortage of leagues or ways to play. When I have time I play 3-4 times a week. There's also roller hockey, and evergreen lake freezes in the winter and its a good place to play pond.

Ice ranch
Big bear
DU
The edge
South suburban
The promenade
Family fun sports

Rmhl- league using multiple rinks
Rmrhl-roller hockey in Lakewood.

That's just in the Denver metro-ish area. Boulder, ft Collins, Windsor, springs all have ice. Family sports has decent drop in, though it comes and goes with the seasons which day of the week is the best. I think their house league is small. Yes the avs practice there. If you go to the morning drop ins you can see them from time to time. I've watched a few skates with them.the Friday 11a drop in used to be pretty good there, but I haven't gone in at least a year.