HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Alain Vigneault/coaching discussion thread - Part 4 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1371677)

Free Kassian 03-09-2013 01:40 PM

Alain Vigneault/coaching discussion thread - Part 4

Last thread reached 1,000 posts. Here's a link to the last page.

Continue from here.

Bgav 03-09-2013 01:47 PM

#fireav

604 03-09-2013 01:50 PM

I wonder if we could hire Ruff + Cooper.

Maybe Ruff is high profile enough that Cooper might be willing to be an associate coach under him for a while to learn the NHL ropes.

Does anyone know if Ruff likes to handle the forwards or defence? What about Cooper?

PearJuice* 03-09-2013 01:52 PM

Fire that gum chewin' Mr. Gant

petrishriekandgo 03-09-2013 02:09 PM

I just don't know how you blame the coach for a lack of passion/finish on the ice? The system play of the Canucks (except for the PP this season) has been at or near the top of the league the last 5 years. Short of his head scratching Shoot-out choices I don't have much to complain about with AV.

What this team really needs is a shake-up... and an impact first shot scorer.

I think Jensen could help, but is he ready? Maybe by the time the playoffs come around? Jensen-Kesler-Kassian could be lethal, so could a Jensen-Raymond-Hansen and then you put Higgins-Kelser-Kassian together?

GMMG is in a tough spot though... Luongo, Booth and Ballard all have contract and past performance issues that limit trade partners. Something has to give but I don't think it's AV. I really think we could see a Schneider trade (when will Lack be ready?) as he's the most tradeable asset we have at this point short key personnel.

Maybe Raymond, Schneider, Schroeder as key moveable pieces?

jigsaw99 03-09-2013 03:47 PM

isAVfiredyet?

Intoewsables 03-09-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo (Post 61312399)
I just don't know how you blame the coach for a lack of passion/finish on the ice? The system play of the Canucks (except for the PP this season) has been at or near the top of the league the last 5 years. Short of his head scratching Shoot-out choices I don't have much to complain about with AV.

I agree with this. Not to say AV isn't without his faults, but under his tenure the Canucks have been one of the best teams in the league. A slump like the one the team is going through right now isn't enough to change that for me.

Besides, what's to say that a new coach would benefit the team? What if it doesn't? Unless we're clearly underachieving, I don't see a reason for a shakeup like that. We're still one of the best possession teams in the league after a pretty average start which leads me to believe/hope things will turn around eventually.

If the Canucks are bounced in the first round again (or miss the playoffs entirely), I'd definitely entertain the idea of letting AV go. As of right now, it seems like an overreaction to me.

Quote:

I think Jensen could help, but is he ready? Maybe by the time the playoffs come around? Jensen-Kesler-Kassian could be lethal, so could a Jensen-Raymond-Hansen and then you put Higgins-Kelser-Kassian together?

I personally wouldn't mind seeing him get a few games in this season, but I'd be surprised if he could step in and be an effective NHL player right away. I'd like to see him get a full AHL season under his belt first, or at least a good chunk of AHL games before he challenges for a roster spot.

vector209 03-09-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

What this team really needs is a shake-up... and an impact first shot scorer.

GMMG is in a tough spot though... Luongo, Booth and Ballard all have contract and past performance issues that limit trade partners. Something has to give but I don't think it's AV. I really think we could see a Schneider trade (when will Lack be ready?) as he's the most tradeable asset we have at this point short key personnel.

Maybe Raymond, Schneider, Schroeder as key moveable pieces?

Bold points share my sentiment.

To answer the first: you shouldn't. The onus is on the players to execute the game plan. The guy who draws it up still stands behind the bench last time I checked.

Second point: bingo. But now lies the question, who do you acquire, and how?

serge2k 03-09-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vector209 (Post 61320117)
Bold points share my sentiment.

To answer the first: you shouldn't. The onus is on the players to execute the game plan. The guy who draws it up still stands behind the bench last time I checked.

Second point: bingo. But now lies the question, who do you acquire, and how?

Wait 4-6 weeks.

JetsAlternate 03-09-2013 05:07 PM

If the Canucks lose to Minnesota, I think the next Columbus game would have to be Judgment Day.

luongo321 03-09-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetsAlternate (Post 61322845)
If the Canucks lose to Minnesota, I think the next Columbus game would have to be Judgment Day.

Losing to columbus in the same losing streak? Yea, I think that should do it. However, I think the Canucks will win tomorrow.

Losing to Columbus twice within about a week should be good enough to get him fired anyways. :handclap:

GO AWAY AV

JetsAlternate 03-09-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luongo321 (Post 61323111)
Losing to columbus in the same losing streak? Yea, I think that should do it. However, I think the Canucks will win tomorrow.

Losing to Columbus twice within about a week should be good enough to get him fired anyways. :handclap:

GO AWAY AV

As much as I'm a fan of the team, I think a little two-game slip up would be beneficial to the club long-term. Nothing's going to change if we keep this coaching staff; the team looks flat and uninspired. AV's time here has run its course.

vanuck 03-09-2013 06:51 PM

So you're telling me there's absolutely no way Ballard's puck-rushing ability can be used to generate a shot and rebound chance the way Letang just did?

Stories Tales Lies 03-09-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanuck (Post 61330205)
So you're telling me there's absolutely no way Ballard's puck-rushing ability can be used to generate a shot and rebound chance the way Letang just did?

Was a nice play, dose Ballard have the ability to do that?, if so then yes, just try it regardless of what the coach says, cant get him more benched then his is now.

Edit: just terrible rebound control.

mrbitterguy 03-10-2013 12:25 AM

the next game will be telling, as the game after a closed door players only meeting usually is. if the team comes out flat and lays an egg then the heat is on for real. for me it's not even about getting a win but rather what the energy is for the team. i don't think they've outright quit on the coaches, but they sure don't seem to be too motivated by them either. "the process" is highly related to "going through the motions".

Wizeman* 03-10-2013 12:58 AM

I still say AV is a good coach . I have never been a fan of Rick Bowness.

Sometimes coaches need to step down, and most of the issues have nothing to do with them. But once a core tunes you out, you either trade that whole core or trade the coach.

Derp Kassian 03-10-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJOpus (Post 61311303)
I wonder if we could hire Ruff + Cooper.

Maybe Ruff is high profile enough that Cooper might be willing to be an associate coach under him for a while to learn the NHL ropes.

Does anyone know if Ruff likes to handle the forwards or defence? What about Cooper?

Cooper is under contract until June and will probably be up for a HC if Tampa does t get rid of Boucher in April.

VanCanucks14 03-10-2013 03:07 AM

Only if this could be the last thread.

EpochLink 03-10-2013 03:17 AM

I'm having a **** week

Give me something good

YouCantYandleThis* 03-10-2013 02:52 PM

Do you guys think that AV is a good at developing young players?

I think he's massively over-rated in that regard, with alot of props that should be going to our farm team coaches, and our skills coaches.

Alain Vigneault has done nothing over his time here but shatter a young kids confidence and give him very little help in succeeding.

y2kcanucks 03-10-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derp Kassian (Post 61357053)
Cooper is under contract until June and will probably be up for a HC if Tampa does t get rid of Boucher in April.

If Boucher becomes available in April then he should be our next coach. If they don't, then Cooper should be our next coach. Either way I think AV should be gone by the draft.

AndyPipkin 03-10-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis (Post 61377085)

I think he's massively over-rated in that regard, with alot of props that should be going to our farm team coaches, and our skills coaches.

Alain Vigneault has done nothing over his time here but shatter a young kids confidence and give him very little help in succeeding.

I think he is good at it, but his problem is that he uses the exact same formula on every single prospect and you can't handle every player the exact same way. I'm not saying giving anyone special treatment, but some players need different roles to succeed.

jigsaw99 03-10-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome (Post 61331039)
Was a nice play, dose Ballard have the ability to do that?, if so then yes, just try it regardless of what the coach says, cant get him more benched then his is now.

Edit: just terrible rebound control.

Ballard use to do that with Florida.

VeteranNetPresence 03-10-2013 03:32 PM

gillis doesn't have the stones to fire AV. if he is going to get sacked than it's going to come from higher up

jigsaw99 03-10-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis (Post 61377085)

he's developing players into the same mold which is a shut down 4th line grinder.