HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Anaheim Ducks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   What's up with Teemu? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1372241)

ijk 03-10-2013 08:09 AM

What's up with Teemu?

His point production seems to be quite erratic this season, usually coming in a couple of big nights points-wise followed by games with no points. However, he has only 3 points (2+1) in his last 12 games.

Is age starting to finally catch up with him, or is it just bad luck? Is he responsible defensively? Has his role somehow changed in the team? I've already read that he seems to fumble with the puck more than he did before, and that he was "demoted" to the 2nd PP unit, which isn't a problem since you have one of the top PP:s in NHL.

I would just like to hear how he is playing, since I have only seen the stats and highlights on TSN. Otherwise, if the team is winning than it isn't a problem for Teemu or anyone else in the team so everything seems to look good for the Ducks this year on that department.

Fallenity 03-10-2013 09:18 AM

He's had these in previous seasons also, disappearing for long stretches at a time. Also he doesn't seem to have much chemistry with his current linemates (Bonino and Beleskey), so that might also be a factor. He'd probably work best combined with Koivu and Ryan.

Also the lower PP time must be a factor also, but we seem to be getting less powerplays this season then normally, so I doubt he'd be able to go PPG purely on PP right now.

walle 03-10-2013 09:20 AM

he's just bad. not a top 9 player in this team, should play in 4th line.

JabbaJabba 03-10-2013 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walle (Post 61361667)

Well that's a bit exaggerated.

Teemu is a sniper and he needs a playmaking center or a winger to play with him. Bonino and Beleskey aren't his ideal linemates and when the 3rd line has been so good, you just can't break it by putting Koivu and Selšnne together. The whole 2nd line has sucked lately and there doesn't seem to be any kind of solution to the problem without bringing in someone by trade. This team isn't going to make a serious cup run without a solid 2nd line.

Although, Teemu on the 4th line could be tested for lols.

Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry
Winnik-Koivu-Cogliano
Beleskey-Bonino-Palmieri
Etem-Holland-Selšnne

Flash would play against weaker opponents but Holland isn't still an ideal center for him.

RorschachWJK 03-10-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walle (Post 61361667)

Instead of spewing garbage, watch some games. He is not scoring right now but guess who lead the team in scoring for a long stretch to begin the season...

On the other hand, I seem to recall that you're one of the well known haters.

mighty all the way 03-10-2013 10:06 AM

He's on the second powerplay now and thats where like 40% of his points come from and the 1st powerplay either scores or barely gives any time for the 2nd powerplay to do anything. EDIT: And we have only had like one minute of powerplay time in the last three games.

Also, to put in his perspective of who his linemates are (Bonino and Beleskey) usually would have regular roles on the fourth line. Last game Teemu's passing wasn't on but so were his linemates passing. That combo is not a second line combo. I would like to see Holland actually given at least 2 games with Teemu on the second line.

mighty all the way 03-10-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RorschachWJK (Post 61362615)
Instead of spewing garbage, watch some games. He is not scoring right now but guess who lead the team in scoring for a long stretch to begin the season...

On the other hand, I seem to recall that you're one of the well known haters.

You gotta be nice to him dude, he's from the Northpole, he must be Santa Clause :sarcasm: You might get coal in you stocking.

ijk 03-10-2013 10:20 AM

Wow, I didn't know that Teemu plays with Beleskey and Bonino. I must say that looking at the Ducks roster I am surprised that they are doing as well as they are. Before the season started I envisioned them having major problems with scoring outside of RPG and an aging Selšnne. Yet, the scoring is spread out quite well among the top-9.

I wouldn't have thought that Koivu, Cogliano or Winnik would be playing so well. I especially saw Koivu having a dip in production as well as Teemu, but I was optimistic that Teemu would hit approximately 50 points based on his hot start.

So, is the difference this season as opposed to some of the previous seasons that the team isn't playing to babysit Selšnne, and to feed him goals, but the team is playing to win. I am basing this on the fact that Ducks were not contending last year for example due to the poor start. Am I completely off base with this assumption or am I going to get into trouble with Ducks fans and Finnish Teemu fans alike.

Exit Dose 03-10-2013 11:02 AM

The blame doesn't fall entirely on his line mates.

mightyquack 03-10-2013 11:14 AM

He's clearly lost a step this year IMO, in skating and his puckhandling.

He's stlil a good player, but it does look like age is starting to catch up with him, which is understandable at his age. I would be shocked if he comes back for another year.

Yes he's played with 'average players' at times, but as said above, it's not the sole reason.

LVDucks238 03-10-2013 11:32 AM

He's only played with Bonino and Beleskey for the past two games. He'll have games where he racks up the points, but for a majority of the time, he's been a giveaway machine. There's absolutely no way I can see him coming back for another year.

RorschachWJK 03-10-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mighty all the way (Post 61362797)
You gotta be nice to him dude, he's from the Northpole, he must be Santa Clause :sarcasm: You might get coal in you stocking.

Nah, everybody knows that Santa lives in Finland :D

pesko 03-10-2013 12:11 PM

He was PPG for a large part of the beginning of the season, and he's always been streaky.. I wouldn't worry too much.

JabbaJabba 03-10-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ijk (Post 61363127)
Wow, I didn't know that Teemu plays with Beleskey and Bonino. I must say that looking at the Ducks roster I am surprised that they are doing as well as they are. Before the season started I envisioned them having major problems with scoring outside of RPG and an aging Selšnne. Yet, the scoring is spread out quite well among the top-9.

I wouldn't have thought that Koivu, Cogliano or Winnik would be playing so well. I especially saw Koivu having a dip in production as well as Teemu, but I was optimistic that Teemu would hit approximately 50 points based on his hot start.

So, is the difference this season as opposed to some of the previous seasons that the team isn't playing to babysit Selšnne, and to feed him goals, but the team is playing to win. I am basing this on the fact that Ducks were not contending last year for example due to the poor start. Am I completely off base with this assumption or am I going to get into trouble with Ducks fans and Finnish Teemu fans alike.

RPG has a bounce back year and players like Palmieri and Bonino have become regular NHL players. Those factors have a lot to do with the success. But we too are surprised that the 3rd line has been so good. I guess it has a lot to do with Cogliano and Winnik being buddies and Koivu just plays well with anyone. That's a great three way chemistry going on.

I would like to see Selšnne get it going again, I feel extra happy when he scores and it's fun to see him past players in different top player lists.

PhoenyX 03-10-2013 12:34 PM

Awful linemates, doesn't get as much PP time, and it looks like he has lost a step (either that or he's playing through an injury).

Jesus Teemu 03-10-2013 01:15 PM

It's a combo of himself and linemates IMO. To me, he hasn't looked that much slower than last, don't think it's the speed. The fumbling of pucks and not receiving passes crisply is what I've noticed much more.

But I'd definitely like to see a new look on the 2nd line. It could be as simple as replacing Palmieri with Beleskey. :dunno:

Eddie Shack 03-10-2013 01:38 PM

Over the last few years he always has cold streaks similar to this although not usually as long. Just when I think his age is catching up with him he picks it back up. I expect this dry streak will be followed by another uptick, but I think this may be the last year for him. His age is becoming more and more visible.

roto 03-10-2013 01:43 PM

His line mates aren't very good and he's not good enough to carry whole line on his back. With good line mates I guess we would produce more, but yes, he's declining: he's lost a step, he's not as good with puck as before (he was fumbling too much already last season).

Actually I hope that he retires after this season, because player like Teemu shouldn't end his career by struggling in bottom-6 (and Teemu isn't a bottom-6 player anyway).

Ducks DVM 03-10-2013 01:50 PM

He wore down over that stretch of games with zero rest time and hasn't recovered. He's slower, he fumbles pucks away at ES and on the PP (likely part of why he's on the second PP), and he's not been passing as well since then either. Add to that he has no chemistry with Bonino or Beleskey, and when played on a line with Koivu and Ryan didn't do any better, and he's being kind of carried along until he gets his **** together. All putting Koivu on his line did was make the 3rd line much worse with minimal (if any) improvement in the 2nd. He's a menace in the defensive zone, so they've stacked up the 1st line for offense, kept the 3rd together for defense/offense, and put two players on the 2nd that at least prevent it from getting scored on.

He has 2 goals and is a -5 in his last 10 games. He's only started a handful of those games with Bonino as his center. It's not (primarily) his line mates. He's getting old, or he's nursing an injury. There, someone said it.

Sojourn 03-10-2013 01:59 PM

Yeah, I have a feeling Selanne kind of played himself off the 1st PP unit. At least for now. He wasn't just not helping it, he was actually making it worse. I suspect fatigue, mental and physical, played a role there.

walle 03-10-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducks DVM (Post 61373821)
All putting Koivu on his line did was make the 3rd line much worse with minimal (if any) improvement in the 2nd.

Fun fact: Saku has been on ice for 5 times opponents have scored on ES. Teemu has been with him for 4 of those. They've played together for 20% of Saku's icetime. Cogs have been with Saku for 70% of Saku's icetime and they've not seen a goal against them on ES yet!

MMonarchs 03-10-2013 02:15 PM

Would like to see:

Palms - Koivu - Selanne
Cogliano - Bonino - Winnik

Honestly think that would improve the 2nd line ten fold, without having much of an effect on 3rd line.

And also, everyone keeps bringing up Selanne's PP demotion. You also need to consider the team-wide PP demotion...The Ducks are dead last in the league in PP opps.

AngelDuck 03-10-2013 03:01 PM

He needs Kyle Palmieri to come back.

Sean Garrity 03-10-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMonarchs (Post 61375335)
Would like to see:

Palms - Koivu - Selanne
Cogliano - Bonino - Winnik

Honestly think that would improve the 2nd line ten fold, without having much of an effect on 3rd line.

And also, everyone keeps bringing up Selanne's PP demotion. You also need to consider the team-wide PP demotion...The Ducks are dead last in the league in PP opps.

Leave the 3rd line alone. Don't touch it!

Paul4587 03-10-2013 03:08 PM

He starting slowing down big time about halfway through last season. He's always been streaky but this year he's lost another step, has no chemistry with his line mates and to be fair to Teemu, Beleskey and Bonino aren't exactly top 6 players.

He still has that uncanny ability to get open in the offensive zone it's just his line mates aren't finding him and when they do they're putting passes at his feet or Teemu himself will fumble the puck. Beleskey had Teemu with a wide open net last game and gave him one of the worst passes I've ever seen. Bonino and Teemu had a 2 on 0 and Bonino decided to try to deke the goalie instead of use the odd man advantage.