HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   How to fix The Wild's "Power" Play.... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1372371)

Nino Noderreiter 03-10-2013 12:39 PM

How to fix The Wild's "Power" Play....

I think this topic is really something worth discussing. What are everyone's thoughts on line combos/strategies to fix the power powerplay.

My personal opinion is that we have two main problems...

1) Zone entries

2)Lack of movement once we do establish the zone

Obviously...that leads to problems...which we have seen.

How to fix the zone entries?? The biggest thing is speed. We're slow as molasses entering the zone and bunched up. Guys are just sitting there straddling the blue line so they don't even have any momentum to go retrieve a dumped puck if we do dump it.

We're actually relatively OK at possessing the puck if we do establish possession. However, a lot of that possession is wasted because we are passing around the perimeter instead of making passes with the purpose of breaking down the PK's box.

How to fix that? I thnk that's worth discussing.

Is it personal?? Would getting guys like Granlund/Zucker out there help? Is it a mindset that we need to change? Is it execution? Is it on the players...the coach...the fans (lol)?

I think the Wild could be a very successful team with the formula of a dynamite power play and the type of defense we have been playing of late.

Wild48 03-10-2013 12:42 PM

I think it's spacing. The best power plays on other teams always seem to be well spaced, and they move the puck around the zone. The Wild tend to get stuck in board battles for most of their zone time.

Nino Noderreiter 03-10-2013 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild48 (Post 61369115)
I think it's spacing. The best power plays on other teams always seem to be well spaced, and they move the puck around the zone. The Wild tend to get stuck in board battles for most of their zone time.

True...which is a lot of what I was trying to say with movement. I think movement and spacing tie together.

Blizzard6411 03-10-2013 12:49 PM

Seto on 1 unit and Zucker on the 2nd.

Also work the puck to the middle more, attack the seams which Koivu absolutely never does. I really thought the PP was looking better when Granlund was on the 1 and Koivu was spotted up in the middle. They actually worked the puck in there and opened up there shooters for Koivu to feed on either side. That lasted for all of a game and a half though before Yeo decided that what the PP needed was Brodziak.

Nino Noderreiter 03-10-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 (Post 61369777)
Seto on 1 unit and Zucker on the 2nd.

Also work the puck to the middle more, attack the seams which Koivu absolutely never does. I really thought the PP was looking better when Granlund was on the 1 and Koivu was spotted up in the middle. They actually worked the puck in there and opened up there shooters for Koivu to feed on either side. That lasted for all of a game and a half though before Yeo decided that what the PP needed was Brodziak.

Agree with this. That Koivu Granlund touch pass was opening up a lot of things in the few instances they tried it.

Granny got space a couple times to curl in and take the wrister.

It also worked really well to do that touch pass and then quickly move it down to Parise to either jam it or move it backdoor to Spurgeon crashing the net. (See all that movement ;))

The one thing Granlund does as well as anyone on the team is he knows where he's going with it almost before he gets it.

this providence 03-10-2013 01:02 PM

- Their zone entry is predicated on the drop pass in the neutral zone that kills the movement of everyone on the ice outside of the puck carrier and the player who dropped the puck. If they can't find a way to safely get into the zone, they now need to dump the puck and given how they're attempting to enter the zone to begin with, chances are small that they can retrieve the puck on a dump.

- There's no "shooter" on the first powerplay unit.

- Brodziak is on the first unit.

- The powerplay set-up is based around rotating on the half wall and Koivu or Parise getting more time than they should which in turn breaks down the other unit. If this fails, they slide up at the point and hope a window opens up. But that goes back to having no one who can really shoot the puck from up there to begin with.

- Handedness and skill sets are not properly balanced on either unit.

- Lack of imagination and pure skill on either unit.

----------- In other words, there's a lot wrong with it.

Jarick 03-10-2013 01:08 PM

Biggest problem is that the personnel does not fit the PP system. The system is to try and work shots from the point to create rebounds, but Wild don't have any good point shooters. They should be moving their feet to create openings and holes in coverage for one-timers, but they just pass the puck around the perimeter.

Suter and Brodin would be the QB's

Spurgeon and Setoguchi the RH shot on the left wall
Heatley and Zucker the LH shot on the right wall

Parise and Koivu could play up high on the right (I don't like Koivu on the half wall at all, he never shoots)
Cullen and Clutterbuck could play up high on the left to drive the net for rebounds

Nino Noderreiter 03-10-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by this providence (Post 61370631)
- Their zone entry is predicated on the drop pass in the neutral zone that kills the movement of everyone on the ice outside of the puck carrier and the player who dropped the puck. If they can't find a way to safely get into the zone, they now need to dump the puck and given how they're attempting to enter the zone to begin with, chances are small that they can retrieve the puck on a dump.

- There's no "shooter" on the first powerplay unit.

- Brodziak is on the first unit.

- The powerplay set-up is based around rotating on the half wall and Koivu or Parise getting more time than they should which in turn breaks down the other unit. If this fails, they slide up at the point and hope a window opens up. But that goes back to having no one who can really shoot the puck from up there to begin with.

- Handedness and skill sets are not properly balanced on either unit.

- Lack of imagination and pure skill on either unit.

----------- In other words, there's a lot wrong with it.

I agree with a lot of this but I don't think it's a lack of skill.

Gaps 03-10-2013 01:30 PM

They're too stationary, the whole lot of them. They can keep it in the zone just fine, but they lack creativity and effectiveness. A guy like Zucker or Granlund may help, but I have a hard time believing Yeo would have the guts to let them try out there for more than a game or even less than that.

Quote:

Agree with this. That Koivu Granlund touch pass was opening up a lot of things in the few instances they tried it.
Agreed. But that experiment with Granlund there didn't last long, which brings me to what I say above. I think some risks should be taken to get the PP to work. Not saying they should throw Zucker, Coyle, Granlund and Brodin out there together or anything like that. I think Granlund in the #1 PP showed promise, but they took him off it very quickly. The same would probably happen with Zucker; if he makes a mistake or doesn't deliver, he'll be taken off the PP.

DeuceMN 03-10-2013 01:32 PM

I don't think it's a lack of skill either.

Lemaire would have had these guys killing it on the PP. Of that, I really don't have any doubt. He did far more with less to work with.

This is all about execution. Yeo has never been good with the PP. This goes back to his Pit days, where look what he had to work with, and he still messed it up. Pit fans still make jokes from time to time about it even...

this providence 03-10-2013 01:48 PM

I think it is skill. They don't have any player who's going to break down an opponent/create space, drive to a high percentage area, and cause the defense to collapse and take a shot/make a play from there. Koivu and Parise have shown that they can do this from time to time, but it's more based around a more physical/pure will stand point.

Because they lack that aspect, it's a big reason why they play on the perimeter of the PP.

saywut 03-10-2013 02:20 PM

There's no creativity or movement, pretty much every play is telegraphed and only 1-2 guys are moving at any given time. Support is pretty bad too, I often see 1 defender covering 2 players in 1 passing lane, and our guys don't move. Guys don't try those passes very often, and rightfully so since there's not a whole lot of talent. Our 3rd/4th line center is on our #1 PP unit, tells you about the skill. Both the personnel and scheme need change, but it appears our staff is too stubborn to change their PP scheme, which doesn't work with our players.

Avder 03-10-2013 02:24 PM

First and foremost, get Brodziak out of there. He has no business being out there.

Billy Mays Here* 03-10-2013 02:58 PM

Agree with Gaps on the stationary thing. That PP in OT last night was a little hard to watch at times due to how little they were moving their feet. Not hard to defend a PP when the opposing team isn't moving at all.

nickschultzfan 03-10-2013 03:20 PM

It's not like our zone entries are worst than in past seasons, in fact they are better IMO.

The problem is the lack of creativity and movement once we are set. Easy to defend when you are just passing it back and forth.

DeuceMN 03-10-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avder (Post 61375845)
First and foremost, get Brodziak out of there. He has no business being out there.

Why is he there?

I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me the first time, then I thought it was a joke, then he was out there again and I thought someone had lost a bet... Now it seems intentional and I'm just very confused why Brodziak is truly on our top pp:cry:

TheeNorthStar 03-10-2013 04:20 PM

Fire Yeo and his staff. :laugh: jk.. Kinda.

But seriously.
Brodzi has no business being out there like Avder said.

Put in Seto on the 1st PP.

Zucker on the 2nd line PP.

Seto - Mikko - Parise
Suter - Spurgeon

Heater - Cullen - Zucker
Gilbert - Brodin

I want to slot Granny in there but half the time hes a scratch. but we run into the problem of no RH shots in the 2nd line even though we have Coyle and Cal but .. eh idk. Its tough but i w/o a doubt would like to see that 1st line pp.

Or our 2nd line PP could be

Heater - Granny - Zucker
Gilbert - Cullen

youvegotit 03-10-2013 05:29 PM

So just watching the Mon vs. Fla game and saw Montreal's pp (that they scored on) i noticed something, when they have the puck and a clear lane to the net, they shoot the puck. Made me think, its entirely possible they score more goals on the pp because they take shots, I think it might be worth trying, crazy right... Just my two cents thou.

DeuceMN 03-10-2013 05:51 PM

We pass around way too much, and too slowly, which only aggravates the problem.

Didn't Lemaire, to fix a similar problem years ago, make them do drills where they could only hang onto the puck for a short amount of time, something like hot potato?

If I recall correctly, that helped quite a bit.

Our guys right now are just hanging out with the puck, mostly staying in the same area, defenders just staring at them, waiting... It's pretty sad.

Jarick 03-10-2013 05:53 PM

At this rate, they'll just completely stand still by the end of the season.

thestonedkoala 03-10-2013 05:56 PM

Fire the entire coaching staff. Hell, just completely blow up this team.

Pinchy11 03-10-2013 06:13 PM

Dump the umbrella, get someone with a canon/laser/bomb shot. then pray that Dumba and his shot are good enough to make the yeah next year.

Nino Noderreiter 03-10-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeuceMN (Post 61372585)
I don't think it's a lack of skill either.

Lemaire would have had these guys killing it on the PP. Of that, I really don't have any doubt. He did far more with less to work with.

This is all about execution. Yeo has never been good with the PP. This goes back to his Pit days, where look what he had to work with, and he still messed it up. Pit fans still make jokes from time to time about it even...

First of all Yeo doesn't coach the PP. I guess he can help coach it and give input, but he's not the main guy working with them on it. He was not good in PITT this is true.

Quote:

Originally Posted by this providence (Post 61373621)
I think it is skill. They don't have any player who's going to break down an opponent/create space, drive to a high percentage area, and cause the defense to collapse and take a shot/make a play from there. Koivu and Parise have shown that they can do this from time to time, but it's more based around a more physical/pure will stand point.

Because they lack that aspect, it's a big reason why they play on the perimeter of the PP.

We don't really have anyone that can break down a defense like that, but we do have guys that are above average skill wise. You don't need or want one player making a heroic effort on the PP. That just leaves the other 4 guys with nothing to do and it's pretty easy to stop.

I think the key goes back to movement and support. If we can pass the puck to get the PK scrambling and out of there box...then we will have success. How do we do that? I'm not sure exactly.

Granlund/Koivu has had the most success with that that I've seen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saywut (Post 61375661)
There's no creativity or movement, pretty much every play is telegraphed and only 1-2 guys are moving at any given time. Support is pretty bad too, I often see 1 defender covering 2 players in 1 passing lane, and our guys don't move. Guys don't try those passes very often, and rightfully so since there's not a whole lot of talent. Our 3rd/4th line center is on our #1 PP unit, tells you about the skill. Both the personnel and scheme need change, but it appears our staff is too stubborn to change their PP scheme, which doesn't work with our players.

Brodz is out there to win board battles/be in front of the net. I mean...I'm not sure he really adds all that much, but I don't think he's actually been that bad. However, he definitely does not make our PP dynamic.

Again, I think Koivu should be in the middle. He's a big body and can create a little havoc from that slot area.

Your definitely right about the support issue. If the PKers are aggressive our guys really have no chance. You should be able to exploit and aggressive PK unit because they are putting themselves out of position, but our guys are just too stationary and not supporting the puck carrier well enough to really exploit that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeuceMN (Post 61386661)
We pass around way too much, and too slowly, which only aggravates the problem.

Didn't Lemaire, to fix a similar problem years ago, make them do drills where they could only hang onto the puck for a short amount of time, something like hot potato?

If I recall correctly, that helped quite a bit.

Our guys right now are just hanging out with the puck, mostly staying in the same area, defenders just staring at them, waiting... It's pretty sad.

Agree with this. Not sure about Lemaire, but maybe it's something to try at this point.

Again back to Koivu/Granlund/Parise one touching it too eachother. That worked really well at times, but Yeo didn't really give it much of a chance to develop. I think he scrapped it after one bad shift or so.

Jarick 03-11-2013 07:24 AM

Spurgeon on the left wall is not looking bad right now.

BigT2002 03-11-2013 09:43 AM

Cullen should be PP QB. Wasn't that the MAIN reason we got him?