HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Why Don't We Utilize Vanek's Shot More? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1372953)

Have My Baby Pierre 03-11-2013 02:55 AM

Why Don't We Utilize Vanek's Shot More?

Yes, Vanek is excellent at deflecting pucks and stuffing in rebounds.

He also has a great slap shot that we rarely see.

We should have him ripping one-timers from the slot area on the PP sometimes, change things up for once.

It is clear our PP is garbage, and we just keep trying the same damn thing.

Is it a good thing that our best player rarely has control of the puck while on the powerplay?

Vanek takes a beating in front of the net as well, guy always starts the season off great and then just seems to get worn down as the season progresses, likely partly due to the price he takes standing in front of the net. You'd think maybe someone in the organization would notice this.

Paradigm 03-11-2013 10:29 AM

With how inept our powerplay is at getting pucks through to the net, he has very few opportunities to deflect pucks these days.

I agree that I would love to see him camped in the slot - ideally he takes less of a beating because he's not as close to the net, and this opens him up for one-timers, as well as still being able to deflect one now and then.

HockeyH3aven 03-11-2013 10:39 AM

I have no idea.

He's also the best play-maker on the team and yet he sits in front of the net like a glorified Holmstrom. This of course, also results in him being cross-checked 50 times a game (with no penalties called) and is largely why he's also sporting some sort of injury.

koarl 03-11-2013 10:41 AM

If the coach is playing Ott in PP1 for the sake of the FO win, he should put Ott in front of the net and let Vanek and Ehrhoff be the shooters at the blueline, Pominville and Hodgson (or Ennis) on the sides. Otherwise Ott is just a lost sheep out there ...

It's pointless to put Vanek in front of the net for screening and deflections, if there is hardly any movement going on to open up the shooting lane.

Shoey 03-11-2013 01:21 PM

Screening the goaltender is killing Vanek's career, he just can't take that beating anymore.

struckbyaparkedcar 03-11-2013 01:23 PM

Because our coaches aren't very smart. That's painfully obvious at this point.

kirby11 03-11-2013 01:38 PM

To the OP: Your plan makes way too much sense for the sabres to ever adopt it

tsujimoto74 03-11-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koarl (Post 61433791)
If the coach is playing Ott in PP1 for the sake of the FO win, he should put Ott in front of the net and let Vanek and Ehrhoff be the shooters at the blueline, Pominville and Hodgson (or Ennis) on the sides. Otherwise Ott is just a lost sheep out there ...

It's pointless to put Vanek in front of the net for screening and deflections, if there is hardly any movement going on to open up the shooting lane.

Ott attempting to play the point yesterday was nothing shy of a disaster. Agreed that if he's on the PP, his role should just be winning board battles and standing in front of the net. His offensive skill compared to Vanek's is nada, so I'm not sure why he's being put in a position where he's getting more touches on the puck.

OkimLom 03-11-2013 02:11 PM

Chalk this up to Ruff trying to be like Detroit...

Now the problem is Kevyn and the rest of the assistants are still here.

Vanek needs to be on the Left Half Board for the one-timer.

Another problem, besides entering the zone is that this "POWER"-play is usually ran by three guys at a time, be it Point-to-point-to half wall, to halfwall-goal line-pointman trios. There is never a across ice pass. Now that might be because of the penalty pressure, but there are ways of moving guys to where YOU want them so you can make more quality chances. You can look guys off, you can one-time pass, but until they learn to do these things we will be forced to look at a miserable PP that is on pace to have "Post-Stanley Cup - Pre-Lockout" days.

Also the lack of getting pucks past the first wave of pk'ers also make Vanek's presence useless. Now you're playing 4 on 4 with an extra guy. that is screening a goalie for a shot that won't come. Not only is our PP the least creative, but also the least effective. You don't need a creative PP to be effective, but if you can get guys moving away from the puck, you increase your chances of moving the other team out of position.

Have My Baby Pierre 03-11-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar (Post 61440907)
Because our coaches aren't very smart. That's painfully obvious at this point.

It has become clear that we need to COMPLETELY clean house in order to get a fresh perspective. Firing Ruff wasn't enough, we still have the same assistants and put in a coach that was already part of the organization.

We need to bring in fresh minds and see their opinions on what needs to be changed. Businesses do this all the time, they bring in an outsider to critique their operations, since over time, personal starts to become blind to obvious problems that others may see.

When we do (hopefully) replace Rolston, I hope we replace the rest of the staff as well, I don't want assistants telling the new guy how they run things and players tendencies etc..we need to start from scratch. I hope we hire a coach and staff that has little familiarity with the Sabres and the players.

McTank 03-11-2013 03:01 PM

I agree, put ott in front of the net

Royisgone 03-11-2013 03:21 PM

When Ovechkin was on top of his game a few years ago, he would ruthlessly and relentlessly shoot at the net almost every time he got the puck on his stick anywhere near shooting territory.

The guy has a great wrist shot and snap shot. A lot of those shots didn't go in, but then a whole bunch did go in as well.

I would LOVE to see Vanek fire the puck at the net every chance he gets. It's not that complicated.

If you shoot more, you will score more. A whole bunch of the guys in this league have ridiculous shots and yet few seem to fire the puck at the net constantly.

I never got that.

I would love to see Vanek go into each game thinking he personally has to shoot the puck 10 times..and then structure his play back from that mindset.

If you are thinking "I gotta get my 10 in one way or the other" you will shoot the puck more than you currently do.

Stop Winnin 03-11-2013 03:24 PM

I want Vanek to just say "**** you Adams".

koarl 03-11-2013 09:10 PM

Just compare other teams that have similar players to Vanek and how they utilize those players.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/boxscore.htm?id=2012020365
Rangers PPG (3-1) shows exactly, how the Sabres should play. Let anyone of your most skilled players do the zone entry while any other players are moving and not the hell do some waiting on both ends at the blueline while your defenseman tries to enter the zone.

This game is just kept simple. Move your feet, fight off the checkers, pass to the open man and shoot when you got an open lane. In that PP you see #24 Ryan Callahan in front of the net. The man on the center of the blueline is MDZ, with Nash and Gaborik circling on the sides and on the line and Stepan moving inside out to create space. This is just perfectly executed there. Callahan is easily the least skilled player of those on the ice for the Rangers there and is screening and deflecting, while the others are creating the play and make things happen. If you switch Callahan with Nash for example, this powerplay might not have led to a goal, at least on in that way.

Once again, Vanek is the best of the Sabres in deflecting pucks into the net, screening the goalie, yet in all cases. There is a good reason why the front of the net is called his office. But there is absolutely no reason to put him there, if there are no deflectable pucks going through.

Myllz 03-11-2013 09:17 PM

http://buffalo.images.ynn.com/media/...kevynadams.jpg