HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Halfway thru the 2013 season Mancrushes and Whipping Boys (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1372955)

Matthew 03-11-2013 02:17 AM

Halfway thru the 2013 season Mancrushes and Whipping Boys

Who's been your roughly 3 favorites and 3 least favorite to watch so far in this whacky lockout shortened season?

Mancrush :heart::heart::heart:

1. Jack Johnson -He's the 30 minute man. I feel like he's gonna get the C the way he's been working out there. The leader of the hardest working CBJ team since the inaugural year? Perhaps.
2. Artem Anisimov - The most ridiculous goals on the team. Possibly the best return in the Nash package? It will be a long time before we really find out, but its possible. He's shown tremendous skill so far. My favorite CBJ Russian skater ever AND IT'S NOT EVEN CLOSE.
3. Sergei Bobrovsky - Appears to be blossoming into a true #1 guy.

The effort the team is putting on the ice is making it harder to choose guys I don't like. Hopefully it's the same for you.

Whipping boys :deadhorse:pullhair::shakehead

1.RJ Umberger - Showing signs of life. Maybe he's worked off his OSU meal plan weight or something. But his brutal start to the season has earned him a spot here.
2. Steve Mason - Poor Steve. You've even been OK this year. That's not enough to save your job here and I won't miss you.
3. Nikita Nikitin - I think he's dragged Tyutin down a bit this year. He's made them both look bad in several spots. He's the first d-man I'd like to see gone.

major major 03-11-2013 03:34 AM

Who's been your roughly 3 favorites and 3 least favorite to watch so far in this whacky lockout shortened season?

Mancrush:

1. Foligno. His most visible feature (amazing rushing) is where little of his impact comes. His best feature is that he can get the puck to the net off the cycle. Got his line going.
2. Joey. Doing so many things right. I'm very surprised by his all around development.
3. Erixon. I heard he had vision, but his d-game looks better than the reports of his Springfield play. And yeah, he has vision. I prefer him as our PP QB, rather than JJ.

Whipping boys

1. Nikitin. Finally moved to the left side, which helps, but he looks like his skating might even be worse than it was last year, and he makes too many mistakes.
2. Aucoin. Good guy in the room, I'd bet, but the league is getting faster while he is slowing. Easy to chip it past him.
3. Gillies. Easily our least skilled forward, Gillies is the place where good plays go to die. We have a decent playmaker back there in D-Mac who could be putting up points with better linemates.

Paulinho 03-11-2013 04:13 AM

Anisimov? Really?

EspenK 03-11-2013 05:38 AM

:heart::heart::heart:

1. Calvert - he's all over the place, has a bit of grit, a bit of offense
2. Prospal- Goals and emotion
3. Mackenzie - third on team in 5 min majors, hustles, scores,

:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

1. Umberger - See numerous posts
2. Mason - Doesn't seem like it is going to be his year
3. Aucoin - Ugh

CBJ All The Way 03-11-2013 05:47 AM

You gotta love watching the Calvert, Anisimov and Atkinson line for that reason they are my top 3, I can't really rag on anyone because its a full team effort to have done what we have by getting these 8 straight points, well I guess except for Mason, we need to trade him ASAP!

Viqsi 03-11-2013 07:51 AM

Love:
1) Matt Calvert. [hipster]I liked Calvert before liking Calvert was cool.[/hipster] ;)
2) John Moore. We haven't seen much of him thanks to the injury, but what has been visible has made him look VASTLY better than he was last year.
3) Jack Johnson. "Thirty minutes? No problem! I love this place!" Yeah, he's a UM guy, but nobody's perfect. :D
HM to Erixon and Foligno.

Disappointment:
1) RJ Umberger. I still love him, and he's getting back up to speed, but that start of his was particularly disgraceful. Still hope we keep him tho.
2) David Savard. He's stalled out, to the point that he's basically become Cody Franson-style trade bait, and that depresses me.
3) Blueline Injuries. Holy living ****ing hell I thought we were past this insanity. What do we have to do to ice a healthy blueline? Supplement our team doctors with voodoo witch doctors?

JACKETfan 03-11-2013 07:58 AM

:handclap:

First new thread after we just won a b2b against Datroit.

Does this mean it is safe to post my Natalie Hair Poll??

blahblah 03-11-2013 08:12 AM

I really dislike the terms, but I'll go with the +3/-3.

+3

1. Calvert - Playing like a man possessed and exceeding expectations
2. Prospal - Stepping up both in the locker room and on the ice
3. Erixon - Took the minutes and doesn't want to give them back

1. RJ
2. JMFJ
3. Atkinson

All three on the minus side just need to give more. RJ is starting to move that direction, but still isn't earning his money. JMFJ is still making too many stupid plays. Just recently he pinched waaaay in (ended up behind the net) with a minute to go in a tie game. Atkinson, well yeah he was injured. But even before he's not quite giving me all I would like to see from him.

BluejacketNut 03-11-2013 08:17 AM

1.Calvert
2. Foligno
3. Bob

1. Aucoin
2. RJ
3 Anisimov

I hope Anisimov isnt this injury prone and has more offense in him. Not impressed at all with 19 games and 8 points. Wiz had more points in 4 less games then him

Ceff Jarter 03-11-2013 08:34 AM

Mancrush

1. BOBROVSKY- NUMBER 1 COP ON THE FORCE
2. Foligno- much more skilled than I anticipated. I'm surprised he doesn't have more goals but he is a positive almost everytime he touches the puck
3. Atkinson / Calvert- little guys are feisty along the boards
4. Mason- yes... Steve Mason- I get the sense that he is working hard and is a good teammate. I'd much rather keep him than trade him.
5. Testube / Mackenzie / Boll- They have all been very effective this year. Wear teams down and can play on special teams. Letestu is faster than he gets credit for round here
6. Dubinsky- he tells it as it is
7. Vinny effing Prospal- nothing more needs to be said
8. Dorse- shame that we lost him. I bet he comes back before the end of the season

I like you and want to keep you on the Jackets and would be upset if traded

1. Anisimov- easily our most skilled player. Would like more consistency but glad he is contributing.
2. Wiz / JJ- Controlled caos has been decent this year. JJ is workhorse and future captain, Wiz does the right things and seemingly wants to be here
3. Erixon / Prout- awesomely composed and good vision!
4. Gillies- what a goofball. maybe there is still some untapped potential if he works really hard on stick handling.
5. Brassard- Best vision and great shoot when he uses it. Would be a mistake IMO to just give him up for futures
6. Tyutin- up and down play but he was stellar against detroit
7. Aucoin- he actually has been playing better. He is still a formidable D-man

Whipping boys

1. RJ- the slow starts get annoying because we know how good of a player he is.
2. Nikitin- rough year so far. IMO the young guys are better in the defensive zone.
3. Jeff Rimer- everytime he says "player x is a jackets killer".. player x scores. No more Jackets killers. don't even bring it up
4. NWA promotions team. The popcornopolous promotions are cheap and embarrassing and the WE LIKE PIT-ZA song needs to die in a fire :rant:
5. Blue Jackets fans who advocate tanking :help:

everyone else
:yo:

Skraut 03-11-2013 09:09 AM

I just love the hustle and effort we're seeing now on a nightly basis. And I love that we're seeing it rub off on the entire lineup. Players like Brassard who are more skill, but were also more apt to give up on a play when the going got tough. In the past few games he's been playing with the hustle and energy of someone like MacKenzie.

1857 Howitzer 03-11-2013 09:14 AM

I have a Mancrush on the whole team. No matter how this team finishes they will be in the top three of my all time favorite Jackets teams.

Matthew 03-11-2013 09:24 AM

Re: Tim Erixon's vision. I think this was the first play where he really made me raise my eyebrows. Skraut's recent video reminded me of it. Loved that play.

Matthew 03-11-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JACKETfan (Post 61430903)

First new thread after we just won a b2b against Datroit.

Does this mean it is safe to post my Natalie Hair Poll??

Wait until tonight when Sam, Wooten, and DSL are snug in their beds.

Samkow 03-11-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulinho (Post 61428693)
Anisimov? Really?

Why not? He's been pretty good. The best offensive talent on the team.

Matthew 03-11-2013 10:03 AM

I don't understand the drive-by non contributing of any content whatsoever post either, Samkow .

candyman82 03-11-2013 10:54 AM

Man Crushes

1. Jared Boll- Already was my favorite player but this year he looks to be more confident with the puck than usual. It doesn't die on his stick like it would last year
2. Brandon Dubinsky- This boils down to a single play. I don't remember which game this was. We're on the PK and Dubinsky is defending near the point. He blocks a slapshot off of the leg and goes down. Clearly in pain, he gets back on his feet and blocks two more shots before clearing the puck down the ice. That play made me fall in love with him
3. Matt Calvert- Love seeing this guy rebound after his disappointing season last year. He brings his A game night in and night out

Whipping Boys

1. Adrien Aucoin- Seriously, could he be any slower? He constantly gets boxed out in front of the net and his stick seems to never be where it needs to be
2. Steve Mason- Sorry Mase, but you need to go. Thanks for the playoff year, but you can't be a part of this team anymore. You represent the single greatest failure of the Scott Howson era
3. David Savard- Work ethic and fitness need to improve. I wouldn't be surprised to see him move at the deadline

Robert 03-11-2013 11:40 AM

Crushed:

1. Calvert (intensity I've rarely seen in any player)
2. Bob (the last few weeks)
3. Foligno (always gives that second effort, does not quit)
4. The entire CBJ team in the last 10 games going 6-2-2
5. Prospal (a team leading 14 points in 26 games is off the charts for the old guy)

Whipped:

1. RJ (but he is finally playing as he should have since day one)
2. JJ (he is not playing up to my expectation, perhaps he's injuried)
3. Mason (I want him gone)
4. Nik

Wrong about:

May have made a big mistake ripping Richards, as with the current streak it's to early to fully admit it yet though. The Jackets could go into the dumpster any minute based on CBJ past history..

CBJBrassard16 03-11-2013 01:14 PM

1. Bob - I was hard on him after the trade, I thought he was a backup at best. And he maybe only a backup, but he's a damn fine one.

2. Calvert - Love his hustle and he shut up all the people who said he was a one year wonder and a victim of the CBJ rushed development.

3. JJ - Playing 30 minutes a night and beasting in most of them? You can play on my team any day of the week.

4. Todd Richards - He's done a great job with this team, and I hope he is retained at this rate. Hes a good coach.

Honorable Mention: Springfield Falcons coaches for having the kids ready in case of injury. Great job.

:shakehead

1. Savard - I expected more and it looks like everyone is turning on him ala Calvert last year. Hopefully he shuts them up like Calvert did, but you can't teach passion and work ethic.

2. Aucoin - Slowwww

3. Wisniewski - He's been injured so much but when he's played hes played well, but too bad that isnt alot. Hopefully he's healthy for next year.

4. RJ - We can't keep having these slow starts

Ceff Jarter 03-11-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 (Post 61443731)

1. Bob - I was hard on him after the trade, I thought he was a backup at best. And he maybe only a backup, but he's a damn fine one.

2. Calvert - Love his hustle and he shut up all the people who said he was a one year wonder and a victim of the CBJ rushed development.

3. JJ - Playing 30 minutes a night and beasting in most of them? You can play on my team any day of the week.

4. Todd Richards - He's done a great job with this team, and I hope he is retained at this rate. Hes a good coach.

Honorable Mention: Springfield Falcons coaches for having the kids ready in case of injury. Great job.

:shakehead

1. Savard - I expected more and it looks like everyone is turning on him ala Calvert last year. Hopefully he shuts them up like Calvert did, but you can't teach passion and work ethic.

2. Aucoin - Slowwww

3. Wisniewski - He's been injured so much but when he's played hes played well, but too bad that isnt alot. Hopefully he's healthy for next year.

4. RJ - We can't keep having these slow starts

He has been playing much better, the second game at detroit was his best of the year. I can overlook the occasional toasting for his alleged locker room presence.

cslebn 03-11-2013 02:27 PM

First off I'm excluding JMFJ. I've had a crush on him since UMich and watching him rip Cory Schneider's mask off with a slapper.

Mancrush

Calvert - wheels and desire, what more do you need
Prospal - clutch anyone?
Anisimov - dangle that puck baby

Happy Surprises

Erixon - was not happy with him as part of the Nash return originally. That's not true anymore....
Foligno - did someone tell him he needed to impersonate Zherdev at times (in a good way)?
Johansen - looking like a man

Trade Bait

RJ - Just redundant now it seems with Foligno, Dubi, Calvert, and co working so hard. Higher end skill though, just needs to find a way to bring that from day 1
Brass - he's up, he's down, he's up, he's down
Aucoin - the youngins look like they don't need him
Nikitin - sell high?

Whipped boy

GMSH - why do we have so many bottom 6 players?!?!?!

CBJBrassard16 03-11-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceff Jarter (Post 61444433)
He has been playing much better, the second game at detroit was his best of the year. I can overlook the occasional toasting for his alleged locker room presence.

That's fair. Agreed

Xoggz22 03-11-2013 03:40 PM

Think Big....

1) Erixon - has shown poise and talent to be a top 4 (top 2?) guy for years to come. Smooth and smart is what I have seen.
2) Anisimov - Much better 2-way game (especially the offensive end) than we heard from Rags fans. Size and skill and seems to be willing to work in all three zones
3) Johansen - May not be the most consistent but he has played very well since his recall. He has shown strength, good forecheck, skill and amazing vision. His faceoff prowess is much better than I could have imagined

Honorable Mention: I'll get blasted for this but..... Brassard. Since the 1st 10 games D. Brass has been very creative and maybe it's just me but his desire to win and effort has really improved. He still makes mistakes in our zone and is too eratic on faceoffs but I still think he is showing his skill and vision and has been willing to compete (although will never be confused with physical).

Go Home.....

1) Mason - I don't hate the kid but I think he needs a change of scenery. His play has been much better this year (yes, a few killer bad goals) but I just don't see him as a #1 in Columbus.
2) Nikitin - hasn't looked solid or comfortable this year. Given our depth I think he's a guy that has value in the market and can likely be replaced. Like him but he's just not showing enough poise and transition as previously.
3) Savard - hard to pick on a guy in Springfield now but.... He's in Springfield now. Makes the team out of camp and looked very slow, no lateral movement and his overall game seems to really be behind the curve of some of the others. Had high hopes for him prior to the season and it looks like he thought the NHL season wouldn't happen and that the AHL was "easy" enough to get by in without being in shape. Doesn't cut it.

Honorable Mention - Tough call but I'm going with RJ Umberger. He's played much better but 2 years in a row of a brutal start. Seemed disinterested and very weak on his skates. simply hasn't looked the same since his concussion. Maybe it's the pressure on him but he needs to continue the uptick in effort and results to convert me back to a fan.

Ceff Jarter 03-11-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoggz22 (Post 61451401)
Think Big....

Honorable Mention: I'll get blasted for this but..... Brassard. Since the 1st 10 games D. Brass has been very creative and maybe it's just me but his desire to win and effort has really improved. He still makes mistakes in our zone and is too eratic on faceoffs but I still think he is showing his skill and vision and has been willing to compete (although will never be confused with physical).

I've noticed this too. Hope he can keep it up.

cslebn 03-11-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceff Jarter (Post 61452953)
I've noticed this too. Hope he can keep it up.

(Note to Xoggz22 as well)

But oh those face-offs. It would be so nice if we could convert him to a wing and just let him be creative offensively and if he didn't completely disappear at times.