HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Friedman: Ryan Whitney 'getting traded for sure' (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1373341)

jeffl97 03-11-2013 05:00 PM

Ryan Whitney 'getting traded for sure'

Quote:

The Oilers have some big decisions to make, too. Ryan Whitney is getting traded for sure. What's interesting is it doesn't seem like there's been much conversation with UFA-to-be Ladislav Smid. The defenceman is just 27. The only other free agent who will be younger than him and really plays is teammate Mark Fistric. I'm a little surprised they haven't talked much, because that position is a weakness for Edmonton.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...act-perry.html

Saw this in Elliotte's 30 thoughts. Any idea who would be interested in him or where he would go?

WeridAl 03-11-2013 05:04 PM

Anytime I seen Elliotte Friedman's name I just want to hurl, knows the Leafs, but nothing about hockey.

Captain Hook 03-11-2013 05:06 PM

Whitney's a great guy. Hope he finds success wherever he gets dealt.

topchowda 03-11-2013 05:10 PM

Building up his trade value right before TDL. If he continues his decent play he has showed in recent games maybe a contender overpays for a depth offensive dman. Just dreaming though

joestevens29 03-11-2013 05:11 PM

He's playing well enough that it almost would suck to move the guy.

WeridAl 03-11-2013 05:13 PM

Was watching TSN and they were surprised no team had tried to trade for him.

workedforme 03-11-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeridAl (Post 61452677)
Anytime I seen Elliotte Friedman's name I just want to hurl, knows the Leafs, but nothing about hockey.

Couldn't be further from the truth, his blog is widely regarded as one of the best hockey blogs around.

West Coast Bias* 03-11-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Are you kidding me? He's the most knowledgeable person on HNIC, and it's not close.

Larry Hoover 03-11-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Anddddd you just lost all your credibility on this forum. Elliotte Friedman is the second most respected, educated, and trustworthy person in hockey after Bob.

WeridAl 03-11-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by workedforme (Post 61453167)
Couldn't be further from the truth, his blog is widely regarded as one of the best hockey blogs around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Coast Bias (Post 61453435)
Are you kidding me? He's the most knowledgeable person on HNIC, and it's not close.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Hoover (Post 61453451)
Anddddd you just lost all your credibility on this forum. Elliotte Friedman is the second most respected, educated, and trustworthy person in hockey after Bob.

Just have to say one thing HNIC:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

workedforme 03-11-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeridAl (Post 61453515)

You already had your chance to say one thing and blew it.

Larry Hoover 03-11-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeridAl (Post 61453515)

That's like saying Stamkos sucks because the TBL are bad...

zeus3007* 03-11-2013 05:36 PM

If he continues his decent play, he'll have interest closer to the deadline for sure. I don't think its surprising that there has been little interest so far, he only recently started to play well. But IF that continues, I could see a contender who wants an insurance policy on the blueline offering a 2nd rounder, or maybe, MAYBE a late 1st if the value for defensemen really skyrockets. Probably a 2nd. Right now though, because of his inconsistencies, probably a 4th at most.

Seachd 03-11-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Hoover (Post 61453451)

Agreed. Friedman is definitely one of the best.

Siludin 03-11-2013 07:04 PM

Maybe heading back to Pittsburgh? He had some success there.

OCPenguin 03-11-2013 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siludin (Post 61458617)

we need a good defenseman, which Whitney isn't. Besides, we don't need another puck mover.

Valic 03-11-2013 07:59 PM

Whitney after his benching is a completely different player. If he continues to play with the confidence he has exhibited of late he'll get a solid return.

Captain Hook 03-11-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siludin (Post 61458617)

I don't think he's a big enough upgrade over what the Pens already have to be worth pursuing but Ray Shero does love the guy. He said trading Whitney was the hardest thing he's ever had to do as GM. The Staal deal may have since surpassed that move in Shero's mind but the interview I heard was before that happened.

I'm sure Whitney would love to comeback here with the way Sid's playing. Sid could bounce a bunch of pucks in off him on those old backdoor plays they used to do all the time and then Whitney could take that production and get paid again in UFA. I think he joked once about how Sid made him a rich man with that play. :laugh:

Petes2424 03-11-2013 08:36 PM

He fits Detroit to a tee. Ian White maybe? A switch of two guys who arent the happiest campers.

zeus3007* 03-11-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petes2424 (Post 61464517)
He fits Detroit to a tee. Ian White maybe? A switch of two guys who arent the happiest campers.

Is White a UFA? If so, there's not much point for Edmonton. They'd probably prefer a prospect or pick if they aren't bringing Whitney back.

Marty Straka 03-11-2013 09:27 PM

Ottawa Please.

roach9 03-11-2013 09:30 PM

N0 team interested in making the play0ffs is interested in Ryan Whitney.
He plays bad hockey and is plagued by injuries that hamper his play.

Speculation around Ryan Whitney is driven by Oiler/Canadian media for readership/viewership reasons, as well as latent value-building measure.

Matt Damon 03-11-2013 09:32 PM

I could see him landing in Boston. Maybe Carolina or Detroit to help their struggling Powerplays as well.

rumrokh 03-11-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0bjectiveC0mput0r (Post 61467873)

Speculation around Ryan Whitney is driven by Oiler/Canadian media for readership/viewership reasons, as well as latent value-building measure.

This kind of idea has always seemed really weird to me. Depending on the team, player, and situation, I can buy some kind of deliberate spin angle (for fans), but do fans actually think that opinions of general managers around the league are influenced by trade rumors? The great majority of them talk a lot throughout the season and get a feeling as to what guys are available and what teams are asking. There is no way that third-party speculation influences a much greater awareness of the pulse of player performance and availability that general managers have.

zeus3007* 03-11-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0bjectiveC0mput0r (Post 61467873)

Whitney had a slow start, but has looked better of recent. If he continues his recent play level up, he will have interest, and significant interest.