HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Speculation: Habs on Tradecentre Part 2 (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1373397)

Analyzer 03-11-2013 05:06 PM

Habs on Tradecentre Part 2 (Who do you want at the deadline/in free agency?)

Other thread was at 1000.

To me, it seems everyone is pretty much (for the most part) agreeing on adding some size/toughness, but toughness that can take a regular shift and isn't as slow as molasses in January.

LaurentHabs 03-11-2013 05:13 PM

Do we really need something though? If you look at our roster

Gionta, Pleky, Ryder, Gally, DD, Pacio, Chuckie, Eller, Prust, Bourque

Those 10 names are all capable of filling in a TOP9 role. IF/When everyone is healthy, one of those guys will have to play on the fourth line. Logically you would think Prust, as he is the less "skilled" offensively. But then, if on top of that, MB brings in someone offensively-orientated, without giving up a current roster player, we could end up with two Potential Top 9 players on a 4th line.

So I'm thinking if we get someone offensively-orientated, we'll have to give up a current TOP9 Roster player. Can't see this team having 4 offensive lines. So if we want to keep the "core" of this team together, and avoid ruining chemistry (not so sure a trade can do this, except if it is a major one) I'm leaning towards a Bottom 9 forward if anything.

imisssaku 03-11-2013 05:22 PM

I wouldn't mind moving Kaberle or Moen for younger, cheaper equivalents. Well, in Kaberle's case maybe a defensive guy, but you get my point.

Mario Lemieux fan 66 03-11-2013 05:26 PM

[QUOTE=LaurentHabs;61456143]Do we really need something though? If you look at our roster

With the actual roster, the Habs probably lose in the second or third round of the playoffs. With another big top 9 forward and a physical and reliable top 6 dman, the Habs are a real Stanley Cup contender and have 50 % of chance to be in the Stanley Cup final.

vokiel 03-11-2013 05:39 PM

So Birdy thinks habs are looking for a power forward that isn't at the end of his career. The list can't be that long: Chris Stewart? Wayne Simmonds? (does he even qualify as a power forward?) MPS?

NH57 03-11-2013 05:39 PM

[QUOTE=Mario Lemieux fan 66;61456761]
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaurentHabs (Post 61456143)

With the actual roster, the Habs probably lose in the second or third round of the playoffs. With another big top 9 forward and a physical and reliable top 6 dman, the Habs are a real Stanley Cup contender and have 50 % of chance to be in the Stanley Cup final.

I like the idea of adding Ryan Clowe from San Jose and Ryan O'Byrne from Colorado.

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Clowe - Galchenyuk - Ryder
Prust - Eller - Moen
Armstrong

Markov - Emelin
Subban - Gorges
Diaz - O'Byrne/Bouillon/Pateryn
Kaberle

Price - Budaj

24stanleycups* 03-11-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vokiel (Post 61457375)
So Birdy thinks habs are looking for a power forward that isn't at the end of his career. The list can't be that long: Chris Stewart? Wayne Simmonds? (does he even qualify as a power forward?) MPS?

love both but what would we have to give up and why would either of those teams part with them?

Marc the Habs Fan 03-11-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Who? And the guy who doesn't qualify as a PF is MPS, not Simmonds.

Friedman was on TSN 690 about 30 minutes ago and they asked him if the Habs should ''go for it''. He answered that Bergevin told him before the season that his philosophy is you only go for it when you're 100% certain you team is ready to win.

LaurentHabs 03-11-2013 05:46 PM

I'd personally love to get a D-Man like Ladislav Smid. But I don't know where he fits in really.

vokiel 03-11-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 61457703)

Friedman was on TSN 690 about 30 minutes ago and they asked him if the Habs should ''go for it''. He answered that Bergevin told him before the season that his philosophy is you only go for it when you're 100% certain you team is ready to win.

Birdy is Michel Bergeron's nickname.

Edit: So Paarjavi plays too much like a wuss to qualify?

Analyzer 03-11-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

The first 2 do, but not MPS.

Colby Armstrong is a great team guy in the locker room. He seems to be a leader. He does well on the pk.

Jason Chimera - 6'3, physical, has great speed. Good on shootouts and can play the pk. However, he's at 0 goals as well.

Chris Thorburn - 6'3, Physical, tough guy. Has some soft hands, but has 1 goal in his games. Can play the pk as well.

Jared Boll - 6'2, Physical, fighter who can score. Play the pk

Cody McLeod - 6'2, Physical, fighter with some offensively ability (in comparison to Armstrong), can play the pk.

Cal Clutterbuck - 5'11, Physical, agitator has scored at a good clip, but would cost a premium in comparison to the rest.

Jerred Smithson - 6'2, Physical, great on faceoffs, some offensive capabilities and can play the pk.

David Steckel - 6'5, Can be physical (last year 170ish hits), great on faceoffs, slightly more offensive abilities than Armstrong, but skates about as fast. PK guy.

Ruslan Fedotenko - 6'1, kinda physical, won 2 cups with 2 different teams. pk and depth guy.

Maxime Talbot - 5'11 Physical, pker, won a cup and can be clutch. However, it would cost a premium to acquire if even available.

Nate Thompson - 6'0, Physical, pk, has been scoring pretty well this year.

Matt Hendricks - 6'0, Physical, pk guy can score and great in the shootouts.

Ben Eager - 6'2 Physical, a bit of an agitator. I believe he plays the pk.

Those are players on struggling teams that could help solidify the 4th line. Though, some are really just another Armstrong.

vokiel 03-11-2013 06:01 PM

He didn't say scrub that can fight, he said: "Attaquant de puissance". Power forward. Pacioretty kind of player. John LeClair for the nostalgic.

Edit: He didn't say agitator, or fighter either. Don't want to insult any fans here ;)

Edit 2: Jordan Caron?

Souffle 03-11-2013 06:05 PM

I didn't read all of the 1000 posts in the other thread but a name I would consider, for the right price, would be Morrow. If the Habs maintain this very impressive pace, then I think that being able to switch in Morrow for Galchenyuk as Eller's LW for the playoffs would make the tem pretty tough to compete against.

I say that but anticipate the point that Galchenyuk shouldn't be benched, that he needs the experience, etc. It's no slight to Galchenyuk. He's the real deal. But he's gone from playing 4 regular season games in the OHL last year to OHL, WJC, and NHL in his draft year. NHL playoffs is another level altogether. And it favours the Habs that they have good depth up front. What that means, to me, is that Morrow could be rested rather than depended upon in the stretch leading up to the playoffs -- assuming the Habs maintain their pace

Anyway, it always comes down to cost balanced against realistic chances of having the acquisition make enough of a difference to make it worth it. But Morrow seems like a good fit for the team.

SB164 03-11-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan (Post 61457703)

I like this guy more and more by the day.

vokiel 03-11-2013 06:08 PM

I know lets get McDo's favorite customer! Lats! :laugh:

Analyzer 03-11-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vokiel (Post 61458783)
I know lets get McDo's favorite customer! Lats! :laugh:

That's his 2nd favourite place. His first favourite is La Belle Province

Hannibal 03-11-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vokiel (Post 61458047)
Birdy is Michel Bergeron's nickname.

Edit: So Paarjavi plays too much like a wuss to qualify?

Bergy*

Mats86 03-11-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 61458267)
The first 2 do, but not MPS.

Colby Armstrong is a great team guy in the locker room. He seems to be a leader. He does well on the pk.

Jason Chimera - 6'3, physical, has great speed. Good on shootouts and can play the pk. However, he's at 0 goals as well.

I like Jason Chimera a few years ago, he's tough, good skater and hits. He may be getting a long in the tooth and unsure of his contract status. Clutterbuck like also but doubt he is available

ChoseLa 03-11-2013 07:07 PM

The Flyers desperatly need a defencemen. Maybe Simmonds isn't as untouchable as we think.

Vasculio 03-11-2013 07:08 PM

[QUOTE=Mario Lemieux fan 66;61456761]
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaurentHabs (Post 61456143)

With our actual lineup, nobody, and I mean -nobody- thought we would be first in the East at this point, but we are. You can't make assumptions like that, not with the way we're playing, and Bourque and Diaz ain't even there.

HF-Addict 03-11-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Evender kane would be nice

shutehinside 03-11-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlords (Post 61457743)
You don't realize that in your example, the player did exactly that? Are you even trying? :help:

You don't give up those kind of assets for a 'maybe'. Unless your crystal ball is somehow better than mine.

I didn't use an example, just referred to one used by another poster.

Even at that, what does that have to do with Perry to Montreal? Because a player was traded to a team and didn't sign there after the season means he automatically won't sign in Montreal? I'd give you examples of players who were traded and signed but what good what that do. It happens in either case an each one is unique.

Hannibal 03-11-2013 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChoseLa (Post 61462365)
The Flyers desperatly need a defencemen. Maybe Simmonds isn't as untouchable as we think.

That would be SO awesome!!!

But i doubt they trade Simmonds away like they did with JVR.

Mario Lemieux fan 66 03-11-2013 07:41 PM

[QUOTE=Vasculio;61462495]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mario Lemieux fan 66 (Post 61456761)

With our actual lineup, nobody, and I mean -nobody- thought we would be first in the East at this point, but we are. You can't make assumptions like that, not with the way we're playing, and Bourque and Diaz ain't even there.

I said probably. I think my assumptions were fair. The Habs will have a tough time to beat Pittsburgh in the secound round and an even more tough time to beat Boston in the East final with the current roster. If the Habs want to win this year they have to add the missing pieces. Boston, Pittsburgh and Chicago will add these missing pieces.

If the Habs do nothing they are out in the secound or third round unless they are extremely lucky like Carolina was (injury to every other team key player: Koivu, Connoly, Roloson) or pay the referee to close their eyes like Boston.

24stanleycups* 03-11-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChoseLa (Post 61462365)

He`s 6`2 a beast of a fighter who can put up 30 goals....he`s got 19 points in 24 games this year and 55 penalty minutes, and he`s 24 years old with a current cap hit of 1.8 million dollars...for those reasons i can`t imagine philly trades him...but then again..they traded richards so who knows.....but what could we offer on d that would equate that and be a fair trade?