HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Business of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   2013/14 Season Ticket Info (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1373837)

Crease 03-12-2013 07:29 AM

2013/14 Season Ticket Info

Teams are starting to prepare for next season. The New York Rangers released season ticket information for the 2013/14 season yesterday. The bullet points:
  1. Average seat increase of 4%
  2. On the heels of an increase of 9.5% in 2012/13
  3. 26 different price points
  4. Season tickets sold out for sixth consecutive year in 2012/13

I mean someone has to pay for the $1 Billion renovation, right? ;)

Any other teams releasing information about next year yet? Will be interesting to see if there are any notable trends league-wide.

patnyrnyg 03-12-2013 11:18 AM

I received an email from the Devils about early-bird tickets for next year. I didn't read it, but likely an offer to buy this years play-offs and then tickets for next year.

DJ Omnimaga 03-12-2013 01:38 PM

If the Leafs finally makes the playoffs, I wonder if they'll use that as an excuse to boost ticket prices like crazy next season? (Same with Habs if they go far)

I am also curious about Nashville as well, since they sold out every game this season so far. (Although they're not as great on-ice)

Hamilton Tigers 03-12-2013 09:54 PM

G&M: Leafs and Raptors ticket price hike a simple case of supply and demand

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle9705729/

Quote:

...there is one caller to my radio show on Sportsnet 590 The Fan who was on my mind Tuesday, when Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd. revealed Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Raptors season-ticket prices will rise 2.5 per cent in 2013-14...

...snip...

.... during the recent NHL lockout he said he hoped the NHL owners took the players to the cleaners so that ticket prices would be lower, allowing him to take his young son to an NHL game. He’d consumed the piffle ownership feeds fans during any sports labour dispute: that while the guys in the suits are on the side of the fans, it’s those millionaire athletes and their insufferable salary demands that are driving the cost of pro sports beyond every fan.

Unhappy with my response, the caller e-mailed me to tell me I needed to stop believing all the “left wing” economists who believe the direct correlation between players salaries and ticket prices is overstated. Player salaries, the e-mailer assured me, drive ticket prices. Because that’s what NHL commissioner Gary Bettman says.

Fact: The NHL’s salary cap falls next season from $70.2-million (pro-rated) in 2012-13, to $64.3-million (all currency U.S.) next season.

Fact: You will pay more to see the Maple Leafs, even if they lose every game from hereon in.

Colin226 03-12-2013 10:19 PM

I wonder if this guy would approve lower ticket prices, but every fan has to enter a lottery to get tix to games.. No season tickets.. The Leafs could still sell out every game, but I feel like this guy just wants lower priced season tix so he can keep going to a lot of games (and have a highly demanded luxury)

Funny that he admits he supports capitalism until it bites him back :sarcasm:

LadyStanley 03-25-2013 07:24 PM

http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...cmpid=rss-News

Ducks raising prices an average of 4.1%

blues10 03-27-2013 05:12 PM

Jets ST going up 2%

Quote:

The condensed 2012-2013 NHL regular season is fast coming to an exciting conclusion. On behalf of all of us at True North Sports & Entertainment Limited we would like to thank you for your incredible support of the Winnipeg Jets throughout their second NHL season at the MTS Centre. We sincerely appreciate your passion and commitment and are now planning for the Jets 3rd NHL season.

Looking ahead, the NHL has now confirmed an exciting new divisional realignment for the 2013-2014 season. The Winnipeg Jets have moved to the Western Conference in 'Division B' alongside the Chicago Blackhawks, Colorado Avalanche, Dallas Stars, Minnesota Wild, Nashville Predators and St. Louis Blues. Season ticket holders will now get a chance to see their Winnipeg Jets create new mid-western rivalries for years to come of championship NHL hockey in Winnipeg.

We also remain committed to enhancing your fan experience each and every season. Over the next few years you will see a broad spectrum of upgrades to the MTS Centre as we continue to enhance the building concourses, audio, visual and food and beverage game day experiences. At the same time, in order to bring the highest level of competitive hockey to Winnipeg your Jets will continue to invest in a winning long term player development program.

Now that we are preparing for the 2013-2014 season, this letter provides direction regarding next season's payment process pursuant to your Ticket Purchase Agreement. Please click on the link in this letter to find your 2013-2014 ticket payment confirmation and related payment information. This material includes a full set of easy instructions including how to log-in to your account and confirm your choice of payment options for the 2013-2014 season.

This year Winnipeg Jets season ticket prices will increase for the 2013-2014 season by 2%. A complete account status update, including account credits and simple interest credits earned with us throughout the 2012-2013 season, will be sent to you today in a separate communication.

Thank you for your enthusiasm and passion; we share your pride in our Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club and look forward to a playoff run this Spring followed by another exciting season of Jets Hockey at your MTS Centre.
Sincerely,

TRUE NORTH SPORTS & ENTERTAINMENT LIMITED

James C. R. Ludlow Norva Riddell
President & CEO Senior Vice-President, Sales & Marketing

Tinalera 03-27-2013 05:30 PM

Always like this yearly thread-interesting to see what certain teams are doing as far as pricing (and what they think they can get away with:laugh:)

Re The Leafs-you're going to pay more every year (you won't pay less), because the demand is there, no getting around it. The fact that the season ticket waiting list is apparently thousands of names long means Leafs won't be "giving a discount" anytime soon.

Its almost like going to a Leafs game is an "event" in ones lifetime-I think I've seen two games total live, and they were both at the gardens-that's the way it seems to get presented sometimes anyway :)

Major4Boarding 03-30-2013 01:01 AM

Heard from some STM friends of mine, Lightning season ticket prices going up 8% next season. If I find a link or other source to validate this, I'll post.

Primrose Everdeen 03-30-2013 06:56 PM

Phoenix Coyotes have been sending out early bird renewals to current season ticket holders.

There's no nominal price increase if you renew early, which I plan on doing. Including service fees for using their payment plan instead of paying in full, the "total cost to attend" actually a little more than a dollar less per game for 2013-14, but the face value of the ticket is going to stay the same.

On the e-document they sent me offering early bird renewal, it mentions that I may be "subject to price increase" if I choose not to renew early, but it doesn't say what the increases might be anywhere.

Fugu 04-26-2013 02:13 PM

Sabres Increase Seasont Ticket Prices by 4% for 2013-14 Season

Nice chart of their pricing at the bottom of the linked article.
Quote:

In a letter mailed to season ticket holders, the Sabres announced that they'll be increasing season ticket pricing for next season.
From VP of Tickets and Service John Sinclair:
"Before next season, one necessary change we'll be making is increasing the average price of our tickets by roughly 4% across all ticket levels and seat locations. As part of the new Collective Bargaining Agreement with our players, all teams must produce revenue primarily through ticket sales, in order to keep the stability of the league and its franchises strong."
Sinclair also said the team expects the average season ticket price to remain ranked in the bottom five in the league, as has been the case for the past six seasons.
Honestly don't get the part in bold.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tso/comments...es-for-2013-14

Woodhouse 04-30-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fugu (Post 64714791)
Nice chart of their pricing at the bottom of the linked article.

Honestly don't get the part in bold.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tso/comments...es-for-2013-14

Well, Buffalo's president Ted Black spun the 4% increase at their year-end presser yesterday like so:
  • Mailed STH as soon as they came to a decision and felt "it would be disingenuous to wait to Memorial Day weekend."
  • 2% of that new HRR from tickets will go to the players; Buffalo's 2% will be put into hockey operations.
  • "Revenue sharing exists for a market just like Buffalo," playing the small-market card, and adding that there's an unwritten "obligation to grow as a league" and that they're committed to growing league revenues. Noting that "it wasn’t caused by the CBA, but that’s just the realities of it." [Applies to your bolded text; they appear to be backtracking some from letter]
  • Prices still remain in the bottom quarter league-wide, even though supply and demand suggests "much, much higher" prices because of the local demand.
(Transcribed relative points, more or less, from Full Presser MP3 - Beat recaps HERE and HERE)

Hawkscap 05-02-2013 11:09 AM

Chris Kuc‏@ChrisKuc6m
Invoices for 2013-14 Blackhawks season tickets are going out to fans. There is an average increase of 15 percent in ticket costs.

Ouch.

Smash88 05-02-2013 11:44 AM

I renewed in Ottawa and my tickets went up by maybe 1% I pay monthly and it ended up going up by about 1$ per month...

The CyNick 05-02-2013 06:05 PM

I love when people still dont understand that hockey is a business. In 2013!

The Leafs are not a product that the average Joe can take the wife and two kids to see. Its a high end property, and as such comes with a high price tag. If you dont like that, stay on the train, and head to Ricoh, you can see a decent game at an affordable price.

Imagine a guy calls up a radio show and complains that he went to a Porsche dealership and couldnt believe they were charging $200K for a car? Especially when he heard that the cost of a barrel of oil just went down.

Everyone in society should be forced to read an economics text book, or even just a chapter on supply and demand before complaining about prices of anything.

blueandgoldguy 05-02-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topher42 (Post 65100439)
Chris Kuc‏@ChrisKuc6m
Invoices for 2013-14 Blackhawks season tickets are going out to fans. There is an average increase of 15 percent in ticket costs.

Ouch.

Considering the size of the city, all the corporations within that city, and the Hawks recent success, they should have no problem selling out all their season tickets and suites.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks join that exclusive club of teams generating over $150 million in revenue per season within a year or two - joining New York Rangers, Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

Confucius 05-02-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy (Post 65124249)
Considering the size of the city, all the corporations within that city, and the Hawks recent success, they should have no problem selling out all their season tickets and suites.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks join that exclusive club of teams generating over $150 million in revenue per season within a year or two - joining New York Rangers, Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver.

For any business to jack the price up that much, they must know they can sell all their seats. Their phones must be ringing off the walls from people wanting to purchase season seats

LadyStanley 05-03-2013 02:48 AM

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hocke...xt-season.html

Chicago Sun Times on Hawks ticket increase

Quote:

The cost of season tickets will rise an average of 16 percent next season, with every ticket in the United Center becoming more expensive. The most expensive seats will rise from $335 per game to $380, and the cheapest seats will rise from $28 to $36.

(Most of article behind paywall)

Wonko the Sane 05-03-2013 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blues10 (Post 62538633)
Jets ST going up 2%

Need to keep in mind they could contractually have increased it 3%, so they left 33% of their potential revenue increase on the table.

Will be interesting to see what they do next year when a portion of the contract terms end (P6 and P7 levels IIRC) and they have the option to increase prices on those seats without a limit.

puckguy11 05-03-2013 09:23 AM

Maybe someone with ST could answer this, but with this season and the lockout, were prices lowered to reflect the fewer games? That would be the only way the high increases would make sense to me.

tarheelhockey 05-03-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puckguy11 (Post 65176569)
Maybe someone with ST could answer this, but with this season and the lockout, were prices lowered to reflect the fewer games? That would be the only way the high increases would make sense to me.

Speaking from a Hurricanes POV:

ST packages were, of course, pro-rated to reflect the lower number of games. The organization suspended billing until the lockout was over, then re-calculated the cost according to a 48-game schedule.

Here's what annoys me somewhat. As a way of limiting the attrition of STH during the lockout, the team offered an incentive to those who stuck around: a 10% discount on tickets for next season, and 5% for the following season.

Now, let's say you're paying $50 per ticket. If the team promises you a 10% discount for next season, what are you mentally budgeting for your 2013-14 bill? $45 a ticket, right? Well, what the Canes did was raise the face value to $55, then issue a 10% discount on THAT price, which essentially wiped out the price reduction. A slick little way to give you a "discount" that was really just a price freeze.

Which still wouldn't be so bad... if they hadn't raised parking prices by 50% at the same time. And as you might have guessed, parking is not included in the discount incentive. So, the cost of attending a game actually went UP for the vast majority of STH who stuck it out in order to get that discount.

Granted, all of this has to be taken into the context of a relatively low average ticket price and price freezes from previous seasons. But it made for some very stinky PR with the fans, particularly since the announcement came right at the beginning of a 1-12-1 streak that completely undermined the value of early renewal (as evidenced by renewal incentives being quietly extended past the deadline).

Needless to say, the natives are quite restless and the record-setting attendance in 2013 will likely not carry over to next season.

Joe T Choker 05-03-2013 09:55 AM

Here is the Preds season ticket & 2 season pricing information

rojac 05-03-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 65177725)
Speaking from a Hurricanes POV:

ST packages were, of course, pro-rated to reflect the lower number of games. The organization suspended billing until the lockout was over, then re-calculated the cost according to a 48-game schedule.

Here's what annoys me somewhat. As a way of limiting the attrition of STH during the lockout, the team offered an incentive to those who stuck around: a 10% discount on tickets for next season, and 5% for the following season.

Now, let's say you're paying $50 per ticket. If the team promises you a 10% discount for next season, what are you mentally budgeting for your 2013-14 bill? $45 a ticket, right? Well, what the Canes did was raise the face value to $55, then issue a 10% discount on THAT price, which essentially wiped out the price reduction. A slick little way to give you a "discount" that was really just a price freeze.

Which still wouldn't be so bad... if they hadn't raised parking prices by 50% at the same time. And as you might have guessed, parking is not included in the discount incentive. So, the cost of attending a game actually went UP for the vast majority of STH who stuck it out in order to get that discount.

Granted, all of this has to be taken into the context of a relatively low average ticket price and price freezes from previous seasons. But it made for some very stinky PR with the fans, particularly since the announcement came right at the beginning of a 1-12-1 streak that completely undermined the value of early renewal (as evidenced by renewal incentives being quietly extended past the deadline).

Needless to say, the natives are quite restless and the record-setting attendance in 2013 will likely not carry over to next season.

Why would anyone expect a discount on next year's tickets to be based on this year's price? That makes no sense to me. And while it may more expensive for some Canes season ticket holders to attend games next year than it was this year, those fans are still paying less than fans who buy season tickets at next year's price. So, you are still getting a discount.

tarheelhockey 05-03-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rojac (Post 65178275)
Why would anyone expect a discount on next year's tickets to be based on this year's price? That makes no sense to me. And while it may more expensive for some Canes season ticket holders to attend games next year than it was this year, those fans are still paying less than fans who buy season tickets at next year's price. So, you are still getting a discount.

Why would anyone expect a discount on next year's tickets based on this year's price? Because the incentive deadline passed long before before the price increases were announced. STH were not in a position to know that "discount" meant "higher prices, but not as bad as if you had walked away and then come back". There was no way to know that we were essentially holding out for a price increase.

I get that there's not a scam going on here or anything like that, but it's a PR issue when you tell your core consumers that they will receive a "discount" next season and their next bill ends up being larger than the one before.

This isn't just me being irrational, BTW -- I'm hearing pretty much the same reaction across the board from Canes STH. People were irritated enough by the lockout, then watched their "discount" evaporate, THEN saw the playoff-priority incentive go up in smoke as the team imploded. It's been a long running PR disaster since about mid-February.

Colin226 05-03-2013 03:32 PM

New Jersey Devils

Seating Chart & Pricing

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/at...9&d=1362672942

Renewal Info & Rewards

http://devils.nhl.com/v2/ext/PDF/121...al-regular.pdf

Overall - Some increases as expected. Newark has a new tax on event tix and the Finals run last year, coupled with the boom in new season ticket holders (4,500 in 2 seasons with another 600 new for next season already) and attendance this year saw a couple dollar increases in several areas