HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Islanders (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   News Article: New York Islanders Midseason Report Card (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1373921)

Slashers98 03-12-2013 09:41 AM

New York Islanders Midseason Report Card

http://thehockeywriters.com/new-york...n-report-card/

Agree or disagree?

bigd 03-12-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slashers98 (Post 61489707)
http://thehockeywriters.com/new-york...n-report-card/

Agree or disagree?

I think they are being very generous with that coaching grade.:amazed:

Isles Junkie 03-12-2013 10:00 AM

I say

Offense - C-
Defense - D+
PP - A-
PK - B
Goaltending - C+
Coaching - F-

Offense - We just do not generate anything 5 on 5. We're lucky the PP is so good, because if it wasn't, we'd never win any games.

Defense - The D is just really lousy. The only thing keeping it from being a F is Hickey & Finley have proven to be useful (albeit flawed) bottom pairing guys.

PP - really solid. Well the 1st unit is at least. The 2nd unit is pretty forgettable. I wonder how many goals that 2nd unit has scored this year.

PK - was really solid, but they've slipped quite a bit. Missing Strait probably hurts them a lot. and Hamonic doing his best Scott Lachance impersonation these days & having so many goals go off of him isn't helping matters.

Goaltending - For the most part, Nabokov has done a good job, and he has stolen us a few points/games here and there. But he's also given up way too many softies. I'm not so sure I want to bring him back, but I'm not sure if Poulin/Nilsson are ready either. I still worry you know who will make it back any day now.

Coaching - We have a whole thread dedicated to the head coach needing to be fired. That says it all right there. Weight & Thompson seem to be really good assistants though.

blitzkriegs 03-12-2013 10:09 AM

The horses may not be there, the roster is flawed, but this "youth" is stagnating due to the terrible coaching staff the Isles have.

I don't expect the isles to be a true contender on Wang's buck, but t the very least dont undermine the rebuild by cheaping out on the coach. Much like players will not
Come to isles due to organizational dysfunction (it's not the friggin building), neither will a coach that knows the owner will not put the horses on the ice for him to be successful.

The on I've product is a reflection of Wang as a owner.

So, an F all around.

Bunk Moreland 03-12-2013 10:19 AM

I pretty much agree with everything isles junkie says..

They're way too generous on the offense this team has no secondary scoring and is awful on 5v5..

redbull 03-12-2013 10:19 AM

Not the best article, it's generic and not very accurate. I understand this is just a blog and I'm not expecting any real insight, but to group Cizikas and Ullstrom and suggest they've both been inconsistent is way off base.

Cizikas has been excellent. Ullstrom started off well, has tailed off and has been re-assigned to the AHL.

Strait was hardly the "best Isles dman by far" - he was solid, better than expected for a waiver pick-up but he's not Erik Karlsson and frankly, I don't think the Isles miss him that much. Martinek & Hickey haven't played badly - problem is, the Isles have no answers for many of the top forwards in the NHL, especially ones with size.

You cannot give a mid-season report card on the Isles without talking about how horrible they are 5on5, especially the top line. How they are 29th in the league in GAA.

This team would be dead last without Tavares

bigd 03-12-2013 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redbull (Post 61491223)
Not the best article, it's generic and not very accurate. I understand this is just a blog and I'm not expecting any real insight, but to group Cizikas and Ullstrom and suggest they've both been inconsistent is way off base.

Cizikas has been excellent. Ullstrom started off well, has tailed off and has been re-assigned to the AHL.

Strait was hardly the "best Isles dman by far" - he was solid, better than expected for a waiver pick-up but he's not Erik Karlsson and frankly, I don't think the Isles miss him that much. Martinek & Hickey haven't played badly - problem is, the Isles have no answers for many of the top forwards in the NHL, especially ones with size.

You cannot give a mid-season report card on the Isles without talking about how horrible they are 5on5, especially the top line. How they are 29th in the league in GAA.

This team would be dead last without Tavares

Strait at least had somewhat of a physical game which, other than Harmonic, is completely absent from our defense. Strait is second in hits on D with 25 in 15 games to Harminics 34 through 26 games . Is he a top pairing Dman? Absolutely not, but we really don't have a top pairing Dman at our disposal. Everyone on this team with the exception of Tavares has been placed in a position beyond what they are capable of. So Strait being used as a second pairing Dman and playing very well defensively was a big loss.