HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Washington Capitals (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Post Game Talk: Act II: 27-18-3 Playoffs!!!....we talkin about Playoffs??!?! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1374281)

Ridley Simon 03-12-2013 05:36 PM

Act II: 27-18-3 Playoffs!!!....we talkin about Playoffs??!?!

Redux, as the last thread is at 1000 (or so). For those following at home:

***updated***

So the conventional thought process coming into the season was to avoid strong teams in the playoffs, and here we are, against the mighty Rangers.

We have seen this movie before.

Lets go Caps, I will update this thread, throughout the playoffs, hopefully for as long as it may last (I am a superstitious man!)

That said

All eyes on you, George

bacchist 03-12-2013 05:44 PM

But it's possible to sneak in as a third seed with a point total that couldn't secure the eighth seed.

Ridley Simon 03-12-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bacchist (Post 61513897)
But it's possible to sneak in as a third seed with a point total that couldn't secure the eighth seed.

Still think that will happen? Want to buy some ocean front property from me.....in Wyoming?

WcRoenick97 03-12-2013 10:09 PM

Where is Jason Hammer?

http://articles.latimes.com/2004/jan...orts/sp-caps27

Liberati0n* 03-12-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WcRoenick97 (Post 61551453)

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/member.php?u=29770

Halpysback 03-12-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bacchist (Post 61513897)

If Carolina gets ebola maybe.

troyerlaw 03-13-2013 12:04 AM

We aren't making the playoffs, IMHO. Only question in my mind is whether McPhee will be responsible and sell valuable assets like Ribeiro at deadline or whether he will remain in denial and believe that we are just a tweak or two away from contending again. We are not a tweak or two away. We are soft, soft, soft, and we made wrong decision giving AO the C. I love the guy, i love the way he used to play, i think he himself is as clueless as the rest of us about where it all went wrong. But wrong it has gone. We should be SELLERS at deadline.

n3ss 03-13-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troyerlaw (Post 61559715)
We aren't making the playoffs, IMHO. Only question in my mind is whether McPhee will be responsible and sell valuable assets like Ribeiro at deadline or whether he will remain in denial and believe that we are just a tweak or two away from contending again. We are not a tweak or two away. We are soft, soft, soft, and we made wrong decision giving AO the C. I love the guy, i love the way he used to play, i think he himself is as clueless as the rest of us about where it all went wrong. But wrong it has gone. We should be SELLERS at deadline.

I'd be willing to bet he thinks we only need to make a tweak or two... trade a few draft picks for rentals at the deadline. It's the lack of training camp and preseason, guys!

lol

RandyHolt 03-13-2013 08:17 AM

Laich is as optimistic as can be today

We are not out of it and George does not need to decide to sell until the last minute.

While I do think he should start to initiate or entertain calls to be as prepared as possible for the deadline, I feel like he will not because he will adhere to the <overrated> company directive he implemented:

Secrecy above all else, including honesty and honor.

yep he is afraid Ted or fans will read about it. Damm internets.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...LImyWlliPvmZmv

AlexBrovechkin8 03-13-2013 12:05 PM

Cuncel da seazon.

Ridley Simon 03-14-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridley Simon (Post 61513503)
Redux, as the last thread is at 1000 (or so). For those following at home:

***updated***

So the conventional thought process coming into the season was teams needed 54 points or so to make the playoffs. (92 in 82games, 54 in 48games)

By that logic, Caps would need 31 points in their last 22 games. Do we really see this flawed team doing that?

13-4-5 would get 31pts. Think about that.

This team can only lose 4 or so more games this year in regulation to make the playoffs. If its 55 or 56 points to get there, then that becomes even harder.

Season is over guys.

Fire George

4pts, Lloyd

ChibiPooky 03-15-2013 02:34 PM

So, for those of you who noted that Volpatti and Ovechkin were forechecking hard... now, according to Katie & Whyno, they'll be doing it together.

Who had Volpatti at 1LW in less than 10 games?

RandyHolt 03-15-2013 02:49 PM

Fresh off a few scratches for the big payoff.

EroCaps 03-15-2013 03:25 PM

They aren't making the playoffs. I might picket McPhee at Kettler if they hold into Ribeiro.

RandyHolt 03-15-2013 03:30 PM

i really thought about a McPhee sign to stick on the glass when I went a few weeks ago

8th row end seat, easy access.

But I was afraid Ted would jump out of the box and strangle me out

Ridley Simon 03-15-2013 03:32 PM

From waivers and scratch land ....to 1st line.

Only in DC :help:

Fire George!

Ovechkins Wodka 03-15-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridley Simon (Post 61721071)
From waivers and scratch land ....to 1st line.

Only in DC :help:

Fire George!

I know its beating a dead horse but just shows how big of a hole losing Semin was

RandyHolt 03-15-2013 03:41 PM

i think its telling a AHL callup can instantly outshine George's regulars.

Sure we call it all adrenaline, but I do not remember Sarge dominating hitting logging 27 minutes breaking up 2 on 1's with ease when he was first called up.

I think Sarge goes when George goes, or vice versa

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 03-15-2013 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka (Post 61721473)
I know its beating a dead horse but just shows how big of a hole losing Semin was

No it doesn't.

Volpatti's on the first line for his left-handedness, and his ability on the forecheck to be the physical puck retriever.

Which aspect of that fits Semin?

Ovechkins Wodka 03-15-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 61721603)
No it doesn't.

Volpatti's on the first line for his left-handedness, and his ability on the forecheck to be the physical puck retriever.

Which aspect of that fits Semin?

The fact that we have someone new in that role every game.
Hendricks, Wolski, Mojo, Fehr...

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 03-15-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka (Post 61722021)
The fact that we have someone new in that role every game.
Hendricks, Wolski, Mojo, Fehr...

Well, that seems to fit in with the team missing Brooks Laich more than it fits in with the team missing Semin.

Ridley Simon 03-15-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 61722087)
Well, that seems to fit in with the team missing Brooks Laich more than it fits in with the team missing Semin.

You didnt like Semin. The team's play misses him, whether we individually liked him or not

Ovechkins Wodka 03-15-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 61722087)

I agree losing both left us with a massive hole at wing that has not been filled

NobodyBeatsTheWiz 03-15-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridley Simon (Post 61722441)
You didnt like Semin. The team's play misses him, whether we individually liked him or not

Huh? That's really got nothing to do with what I said.

He asserted that Volpatti's presence at the 1LW indicates how much the team misses Semin.

Since Oates has repeatedly said that the role was for a puck retriever who's strong in the corners, and has consistently indicated his desire for LH wingers on the LW, it seems that Volpatti's presence on the 1LW has little to do with the team missing Semin, and more indicative that the team misses a LH winger who's more of a puck retriever (i.e., Brooks Laich).

We'd have the same problem if Semin were still on the team, as he'd almost assuredly be playing 2RW.

Ridley Simon 03-15-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz (Post 61722619)
Huh? That's really got nothing to do with what I said.

He asserted that Volpatti's presence at the 1LW indicates how much the team misses Semin.

Since Oates has repeatedly said that the role was for a puck retriever who's strong in the corners, and has consistently indicated his desire for LH wingers on the LW, it seems that Volpatti's presence on the 1LW has little to do with the team missing Semin, and more indicative that the team misses a LH winger who's more of a puck retriever (i.e., Brooks Laich).

We'd have the same problem if Semin were still on the team, as he'd almost assuredly be playing 2RW.

Not sure I agree, at all. Semin would be with Backs or Ribs. Ovie would be with the other (assuming we had Semin and Ribs for a moment).

We would then have Brouwer, (Laich), Fehr, Wolski, etc to fill the last top 6 slots. Semin's departure forced a Volpatti, Hendricks, Chimera whatever into the top 6. I think that was his main point.