HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Geek Emporium (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void - Part 2 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1375055)

SniperHF 03-13-2013 02:10 PM

Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void - Part 2

Thread limit reached in the old one.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1144803

oXo Cube 03-13-2013 02:14 PM

Just to reiterate since new thread

There is an ingame group for HFboards on NA, join it if you want, or don't :D

yakitate304 03-13-2013 02:22 PM

ZERG IMBA (WoL mode)

TERRAN IMBA (HotS mode)

PROTOSS IMBA (IdrA mode)

oXo Cube 03-13-2013 02:32 PM

Now thats just an unfair comment

IdrA can't even beat terran anymore :D

Grave 03-13-2013 02:44 PM

Well now that this is out there is a reason to play WoL singeplayer! woohoo

Finlandia WOAT 03-13-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oXo Cube (Post 61583237)

There is an ingame group for HFboards on NA, join it if you want, or don't :D

Is this the chatroom, or an actual clan?

parabola 03-13-2013 04:18 PM

Kerrigan is easily one of the best video game characters ever. Perfect anti-hero.

oXo Cube 03-13-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell (Post 61589449)
Is this the chatroom, or an actual clan?

Its a 'Group'

seems to function mechanically more or less like a clan except you dont have a clantag appear next to your ID, and you are allowed to join as many as you want

parabola 03-13-2013 04:44 PM

One other thing I definitely hated about HOTS, too many ****ing timed missions. The game is ridiculously easy so it doesn't matter too much but I still hated it.

parabola 03-13-2013 05:01 PM

Also ending was better than the leaked one... Although it's fairly the same.

vippe 03-13-2013 05:24 PM

Yeah you should probably try another mode than normal then ;) Myself I loved times missions :> So I've got some goodies to get to then..

Haven't been able to play much yet but I'm at mission 7 on brutal. Like it so far

RobBrown4PM 03-13-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parabola (Post 61589797)
Kerrigan is easily one of the best video game characters ever. Perfect anti-hero.

Kerrigan is not supposed to be an anti-hero. As in SC1 and BW1 everything was set up to make Kerrigan the ultimate villain. And instead we were told to love Kerrigan and sympathize with her in WoL, and then in HoTS

How do you sympathize and love someone who has burned dozens of worlds and murdered billions of people?

Orpheus 03-13-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobBrown4PM (Post 61594599)
Kerrigan is not supposed to be an anti-hero. As in SC1 and BW1 everything was set up to make Kerrigan the ultimate villain. And instead we were told to love Kerrigan and sympathize with her in WoL, and then in HoTS

How do you sympathize and love someone who has burned dozens of worlds and murdered billions of people?

Because she's a product of the Terrans? Specifically, Mensk having her kill his father and then stranding her on Charr and forcing her to become the Queen of Blades She's always been sympathetic IMO depending on your point of view. The Terrans (except for Raynor) have always been the villains. Well, and the Xel'Naga.

parabola 03-13-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

She kind turns into an anti-hero in HOTS.

Spoil:
At the start of HOTS she's basically human. When she becomes the Primal Queen of Blades, she doesn't do it by choice, she wants to get revenge on Mengsk because she thinks he killed Raynor. She even seems to struggle with the fact she still has these outbursts of her Zerg side before she willingly transforms.

tl;dr I sympathize with Kerrigan because it was Mengsk who transformed her in the first place, and she was clearly not herself in SC/BW. With Mengsk dead, Kerrigan will basically leave the Terran alone now. While not completely implied in HOTS, it's implied in part of the ending they didn't use and I believe that's what they're going for.

kingsholygrail 03-13-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Nothing was set up for her to be the ultimate villain. The Starcraft universe is very much like a Diet Warhammer 40K. It's a universe filled with seemingly unending violence between alien races. The mood is grim. Nobody seems to have a promising future. Morality is dubious at best. You have some people that stand out as hero potential candidates, but even they are sketchy. Kerrigan is only seen as a villain because she is a creation of the Overmind and the whole game before Brood War is about killing this thing called the Overmind which is bad! And stuff! Then it's dead and you have Kerrigan who rallies the Swarm, takes control...and..Frees Dominion space from the UED? Fends off the Protoss and other Terran forces that seek to destroy her?

The end of Brood War has the Queen of Blades victorious over her enemies and holding back the Swarm from complete invasion. She's content with what she has and she gives them their "reprieve," but she senses something on the horizon that she instinctively fears.

That things turns out to be
Spoil:
Amon.

Orpheus 03-13-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsholygrail (Post 61604079)
Nothing was set up for her to be the ultimate villain. The Starcraft universe is very much like a Diet Warhammer 40K. It's a universe filled with seemingly unending violence between alien races. The mood is grim. Nobody seems to have a promising future. Morality is dubious at best. You have some people that stand out as hero potential candidates, but even they are sketchy. Kerrigan is only seen as a villain because she is a creation of the Overmind and the whole game before Brood War is about killing this thing called the Overmind which is bad! And stuff! Then it's dead and you have Kerrigan who rallies the Swarm, takes control...and..Frees Dominion space from the UED? Fends off the Protoss and other Terran forces that seek to destroy her?

The end of Brood War has the Queen of Blades victorious over her enemies and holding back the Swarm from complete invasion. She's content with what she has and she gives them their "reprieve," but she senses something on the horizon that she instinctively fears.

That things turns out to be
Spoil:
Amon.

Along these lines, I'd argue Kerrigan isn't an anti-hero at all, she is actually the full fledged hero of SC. Especially with the events SC2:WOL and now HOTS are setting up. I see Raynor as more of an anti-hero, because he is actually going against the other Terrans to do what he does. As kings stated, there's a LOT of grey in the world of Starcraft.

Do Make Say Think 03-14-2013 06:37 PM

That scene where Raynor tells Kerrigan "I never gave up on you Sarah, don't you give up on us" was awesome

I bought Starcraft 1 the day it came out in 1998 (oh glory days) so I've been waiting for 15 years to see if they would ever get back together: powerful stuff.

I was tired and had had a couple of drinks so I might have been an easy target but still great stuff

RandV 03-14-2013 08:33 PM

I haven't paid attention to Starcraft 2 in ages, but with Heart of the Swarm now out is there significant changes to multiplayer or is it basically just a new campaign?

Orpheus 03-14-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandV (Post 61670059)
I haven't paid attention to Starcraft 2 in ages, but with Heart of the Swarm now out is there significant changes to multiplayer or is it basically just a new campaign?

There's significant changes to multiplayer. Window Mines alone are causing all sorts of hooplah.

LickTheEnvelope 03-14-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Hrm. What do you mean by "significant changes"?

Battlenet layout is quite different.

There's a whole new 'Unranked' mode.

There's an incredible option that allows you to jump into the middle of game saves and start playing from ... wherever (as any of the players... this can be other peoples' saves as well)

In terms of gameplay in multiplayer there's been a few new units added and a lot of minor tweaks.

I don't use Terran and Zerg that much but i'll point out what I can remember:

Zerg:
- Hydralisk Speed boost upgrade added
- Viper (Flying Caster unit) added
- Swarm Host (kind of a mobile turret unit that constantly produces little units) added
- Ultralisk gained a 'burrowed charge' ability... and I think they got buffed a bit

Terran:
- Reapers hit less, but are faster and don't require add ons
- Siege Tanks don't have to research siege ability
- Hellions gained a 'battle mode'
- Widow Mines added

Protoss:
- Mothership 'core' added (base defense flying early unit)
- Tempest added (kind of a big flying siege tank that's long range)
- Oracle added (inexpensive flying harass unit)
- Dark Templar shrine price reduction and time reduction

Really Blizzard sped up the ability to have 'other options' ... games have seemed a lot more hectic than WOL.

Dave 03-14-2013 10:23 PM

To add to the above:

-Ultralisk doesn't have burrow charge in MP anymore, it was removed. Though the ultra's damage was buffed, they're monsters now.
-Muta's got faster acceleration and also regenerate health faster.
-Spore crawlers got a damage buff against light units (essentially mutas), no longer require evolution chamber.
- a few upgrades were bumped down a level in tech (burrow, maybe overlord speed)
-Infestors were nerfed big time. Fungal is a projectile and a slow one at that (no longer insta-cast), fungal damage was nerfed, infested terrans no longer are affected by evolution chamber upgrades (happened near the end of WoL). Infested terran eggs have hp reduced, storm can kill them before they hatch (happened near the end of WoL).

-Medivac's also got speed boost ability that's on a cooldown.
-Thor has new anti-armor-air attack. Can toggle between anti-light-air (AOE) and anti-armor-air. Lost strike cannon, and doesn't have energy anymore.
-Thor model was changed, they don't clump up as much
-Armor upgrade on armory now applies to air and vehicle units, no longer separate upgrades.
-Helion battlemode "helbat's" are basically firebats.

kingsholygrail 03-15-2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Some new units are giving some players grief.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orpheus (Post 61676089)
There's significant changes to multiplayer. Window Mines alone are causing all sorts of hooplah.

More like "I never needed a detector this early against terran before."

leova 03-15-2013 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsholygrail (Post 61696185)
More like "I never needed a detector this early against terran before."

thank god for Pool-tech Spore Crawlers, eh?:laugh:

Cashville 03-15-2013 10:40 AM

Replaying WoL campaign now; I really need to pick up the keystrokes, way too reliant on mouse. It's fun and a refreshing change from RPGs/MMOs; I'm pretty much going back and forth between this and Dark Souls.

RollTheBones109 03-15-2013 11:55 AM

I'm trying to figure out new Stargate harass openings with Toss (particularly in PVP and PVT). Oracles have worked great against zerg for me (typically 12gate to cyber to stargate), and then expanding behind that (or dropping two more gates and expanding).

For Terran the only opening I've found feasible, due to widow mine drops and fast tanks, is robo play (for observers then immortals). I have no problem with this, since I love mid- and late-game templar play, but basically it is WoL Toss vs. HotS Terran.

Any Toss players have considerable success with modified openings due to HotS changes?