HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The AHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   AHL fans' favourite NHL team (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1375433)

saskriders 03-13-2013 09:43 PM

AHL fans' favourite NHL team

Are you a fan of your NHL affiliate, or your closest NHL team?

adsfan 03-13-2013 10:27 PM

Nashville Predators. They are the Milwaukee Admirals' NHL affiliate since 1998.

fordaith 03-16-2013 09:38 PM

What about vice-versa?

I'm a Bruins fan after growing up in Boston, but living in the Hampton Roads area, I've a fan of the Norfolk Admirals.

Rumblick 03-17-2013 05:26 AM

I'm a "neither" as well. I'm a Hershey Bears fan, living in Hershey, but a NY Ranger fan, having grown up in New York.

LightningCRUNCH Fan 03-17-2013 07:37 PM

I'm a Fan of the Tampa Bay Lightning, the (Syracuse CRUNCHES NHL Affiliate), #TampaCuse.

MinWild1 03-17-2013 08:34 PM

I'm from and live in Wisconsin.

I'm a Milwaukee Admirals fan, and have been a Minnesota Wild fan since there existence(I became a fan of Hockey right around the time the Wild were an expansion team)

I guess I never became a Predators fan(The Admirals Affiliate), because it is so far from Wisconsin and even though they have been affiliated with the Admirals since 1998, what if an AHL team would relocate to Knoxville, Memphis, or Chattanooga? I am sure the Predators would want to affiliate with them in a heartbeat and then there would be no point in being a Predators fan for me anymore.

No Fun Shogun 03-17-2013 08:53 PM

Yeah, vice versa for me as well. Hawks fan first and foremost, but I'm also a Wolves fan. If I lived closer to Rockford or Peoria, they'd probably be my AHL team.

Disengage 03-18-2013 05:18 PM

The closest NHL team is also the affiliate of my local team.

OKHoosier41218 03-18-2013 09:34 PM

Count me as a neither, as OKC is my AHL team and the Stars are the closest NHL team. I have developed an interest in the Oilers, but its because of the Barons.

MM658 03-19-2013 10:13 AM

Springfield, Mass. is my home market.
I've been a Boston Bruins fan for 30+ years.
I've been a Springfield Indians/Falcons fan for even longer.

During that time, the Indians/Falcons have had probably about a dozen parent clubs. If I changed my NHL allegiance based strictly on Springfield's affiliate, by now I would need psychotherapy for multiple personality disorder.

So, for me, it has always been "local NHL team." (Ignoring the fact that the Hartford Whalers were actually more local for me when they existed...)

Metro Misfits 03-28-2013 01:58 PM

It so happened to work out for me when the ECHL Checkers became the AHL Checker and affiliated with the Hurricanes.

I live about 30 mins from the Checkers and 3 hours from the Canes.

Jackets Woodchuck 04-06-2013 10:28 PM

closest team. fan of the Lake Erie Monsters and Columbus Blue Jackets.

Shrimper 04-08-2013 12:35 PM

I read the title wrong. I read it the other way round.

But If I was purely an AHL fan then It'd still be the affiliate NHL team.

go_leafs_go02 04-08-2013 10:52 PM

I'll go to about 5 Heat games, including 2 games against the Marlies.

Don't hate the Heat, cheer for them when the Marlies aren't playing, but cheer for the Marlies when they're in town.

WranglersFan1017 04-28-2013 09:19 PM

Chicago Blackhawks are mine!

jameswrjobe53 06-14-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordaith (Post 61806485)
What about vice-versa?

I'm a Bruins fan after growing up in Boston, but living in the Hampton Roads area, I've a fan of the Norfolk Admirals.

This. lol
Capitals fan. Live in williamsburg. Dad is Bruins fan.
Admirals fan

Bizarro Bandwagoner 06-16-2013 11:31 AM

Fan of the local teams. Portland Pirates in the AHL, Boston Bruins in the NHL. If I was a fan of the Pirates' affiliate, I'd have a new team every 3 years...that might get old. :laugh:

I will say that the affiliate usually turns into my 2nd favorite NHL team though except in the case of the Sabres. They were a good organization but I can't root for a Boston division rival.

HisIceness 06-16-2013 10:20 PM

I'm a Hurricanes fan first hockey-wise so I'm also going to be a fan of whoever the affiliate is, even if my hometown Checkers become someone else's affiliate.

Pyrophorus 06-18-2013 12:54 AM

Living in the GTA, its both.

DatsyukToZetterberg 06-18-2013 02:15 PM

I was a fan of the Wings, Griffins & St.John's Maple Leafs when they were here. Now I'm still a Wings fan, Griffins fan but I can't be bothered to go to Ice Cap games. I guess the fact that I'd rather watch the Wings play on TV, or stream, means I'll miss a lot of the games but the Caps have 0 intriguing prospects on the team & they sucked this past year. If I do I generally don't care who wins & I just go to watch the other teams top prospects. Hopefully Trouba & Scheifele are playing in St.John's next year.

HansH 06-18-2013 05:50 PM

Neither. I have no affiliate team in the AHL, and I can't stand the Ucks, as I'm a Kings fan dating back to college :)

Jntg4 06-18-2013 05:56 PM

I'm in a weird situation. Living in Chicago, I'm a Blackhawks fan. That said, when the Hawks ownership was awful and not all games even came on TV and there was no regard for the fans, I grew up watching the Wolves (don't get that channel anymore though), but definitely am an IceHogs fan as well.

TheOtherScott 06-21-2013 11:15 AM

I live in Hamilton and am a Bulldogs fan, and my two main teams are the Oilers and Habs. So my NHL teams are former and current affiliates.

McLurking 06-22-2013 05:17 PM

I'm a Blackhawks/Wolves fan because the AHL Rockford Icehogs didn't exist when I was growing up. A lot of us Blackhawk fans were already grown men before the Icehogs came to the AHL including myself. Maybe the little kids growing up now will be Hawks/Icehog fans, but me being born in the 80's made me a Hawks/Wolves fan.

99nogoal 06-22-2013 07:10 PM

I'm in Rochester so the "localu" team is the affiliate, however when the amerks were with the panthers I really only followed the players who came up through here