HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Will the Flyers Make the 2013 Playoffs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1375543)

FreshPerspective 03-14-2013 12:52 AM

Will the Flyers Make the 2013 Playoffs

Seems pretty unlikely given their play....

Post your qualitative or quantitative analysis here....

El Dandy* 03-14-2013 01:00 AM

Playoffs?

healthyscratch 03-14-2013 01:09 AM

This was decided long before today. They're playoff chances went down to 6.9% after that joke against the Devils.

Norm MacDonald 03-14-2013 01:11 AM

Quantitative: The worst playoff team last season had 92 points (~1.122 point %). In this shortened 48-game season, that is the equivalent to ~54 points. The Flyers would have to get 29 points in their remaining 20 games to reach that benchmark (1.45 point %). There are only four teams that have that point % this season: Montreal, Boston, Chicago and Anaheim. Basically, the Flyers would have to play like a top 4 team for the rest of the season to have a shot at an 8th seed. It's possible, but highly unlikely.

Qualitative: No. This team sucks ****.

SuchySays 03-14-2013 01:17 AM

nope.

GoneFullHextall 03-14-2013 01:18 AM

short answer?

no.

20 regulation losses is likely the tipping point of missing the playoffs. This team has not won 3 straight in a 28 game stretch. So you are looking at a 15-5 finish or a 14-4-2 finish to get in. not going to happen. Not with this group.
At this point of the season you are what you are. a bad non playoff team. Time to start selling off pieces and stock some draft picks and/or prospects

OzFlyer 03-14-2013 01:36 AM

I think the only question now is who will finish last in the East. Flyers, Florida or Buffalo!

Beef Invictus 03-14-2013 01:44 AM

The season has been execrable. Too many losses, not enough OT, and absolutely no sign that they'll turn it around for a franchise-great playoff push.

It'd be nice, but based on what we've seen for about a month now...nope. Season is too short to suck for two weeks, then suck again for a month.

BillDineen 03-14-2013 01:54 AM

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/E...ladelphia.html

6.9% prob of playoffs.

dats81 03-14-2013 02:36 AM

Call it a season and start the rebuild.
Players have already quit some time ago, now lavi looks like he has no belief any more either.

StandingCow 03-14-2013 04:50 AM

Nope, and if we did we would just be embarrassed in the 1st round.

RussianRocket10 03-14-2013 04:54 AM

JagerPuck 03-14-2013 05:31 AM

34 to 1 when I voted.
It aint happening this year and I hate to say I told you so but..

OzFlyer 03-14-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JagerPuck (Post 61623935)
34 to 1 when I voted.
It aint happening this year and I hate to say I told you so but..

I want what the person that said yes is smoking! :cheer:

DrinkFightFlyers 03-14-2013 05:53 AM

I'm usually one of the more optimistic posters around. Never a fan of the doom and gloom. But this season is toast. If it was a full 82 I wouldn't count them out, but they have like 20 games left and no signs of legitimately competing.

BillDineen 03-14-2013 06:21 AM

Last season the teams with the lowest points that made the playoffs had 92 pts or 56% of available points. In a 48 game season that equates to 54 points. That equates to 14-5-1 record in their last 20 for the necessary 29 pts. Tim P said Eddie O. thought they would need 16 wins.

Their games:

1- NJD
2- at TBL
3- at Pens
4- NYR
5- NYI
6- Bos
7- Was
8- Mtl
9- at Tor
10- at Win
11- at NYI
12- Ott
13- at Buf
14- at Mtl
15- NYR
16- NJD
17- at Car
18- Bos
19- NYI
20- at Ott

NJD twice more. They are going to lose at least 1 of those.
Mtl twice more. They are going to lose at least 1 of those.
Bos twice more. They are going to lose at least 1 of those.
NYR twice more. They are going to lose at least 1 of those.
Ott twice more. They are going to lose at least 1 of those unless OTT goaltending folds.
at Tor, at TBL, at WIN, at Car. They are going to lose at least 1 of those, likely two.

That is at least the 6 loses that make it impossible to get 29 pts. The way this team is playing, I would prefer they just tank. The top three in this draft are all potential super stars.

OriginJM 03-14-2013 07:02 AM

i sure hope not. why go all that way and MAYBE get in just to get destroyed by the bruins or pens and have to drop tons of spots in the draft?

just **** it, call it a wrap and get those scouts out there

Protest 03-14-2013 07:09 AM

No, and I'm honestly fine with that if Homer doesn't make a desperation move. I said towards the beginning of the year that if they sucked, at least it would be in a shortened season. They have a few key holes to fill, and high draft pick wouldn't hurt.

Prongo 03-14-2013 07:21 AM

Not a chance we make them playoffs. I also think the sell will begin quite soon. Briere the first to go, followed by the other morons. Draft picks(I want more firsts dammit) and prospects need to be coming back.

Protest 03-14-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prongo (Post 61624957)
Not a chance we make them playoffs. I also think the sell will begin quite soon. Briere the first to go, followed by the other morons. Draft picks(I want more firsts dammit) and prospects need to be coming back.

:laugh:

DrinkFightFlyers 03-14-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prongo (Post 61624957)

I don't see a big fire-sale coming. I think we all know that the Flyers aren't going to make the playoffs (or at best are incredible long shots to make the playoffs). I think Fedotenko will be dealt. Knuble will be shopped, but I don't know if anyone would want him. Maybe a a late round pick. Briere I don't think will be dealt. I just don't see him waiving his NMC. If he does, that will be the best return for the team. But outside of those guys I don't see the Flyers making too many moves.

Prongo 03-14-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 61625147)
I don't see a big fire-sale coming. I think we all know that the Flyers aren't going to make the playoffs (or at best are incredible long shots to make the playoffs). I think Fedotenko will be dealt. Knuble will be shopped, but I don't know if anyone would want him. Maybe a a late round pick. Briere I don't think will be dealt. I just don't see him waiving his NMC. If he does, that will be the best return for the team. But outside of those guys I don't see the Flyers making too many moves.

We have time to showcase Mez for a trade as well. Simon Gagne could also be shopped, possibly for the same return he got us. I could see Briere waiving his NTC if Homer approaches him and says we need to go in another direction. I have said this from the beginning, but the divorce mess is over rated as an excuse why he won't go. He is not the only hockey player to ever divorce and get traded from a team with children. Homer can give him the option of winning a cup(Boston) or staying with a team that might be a year or two away(maybe more).

DrinkFightFlyers 03-14-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prongo (Post 61625263)
We have time to showcase Mez for a trade as well.

I'm not so sure anyone would be interested in Mez. I'd be fine with dealing him, I just don't know if a team is going to want to take that cap hit with his recent history of injuries.

Quote:

Simon Gagne could also be shopped, possibly for the same return he got us.
Idk. I think the Flyers got him with the intention of signing him and ending his career here.

Quote:

I could see Briere waiving his NTC if Homer approaches him and says we need to go in another direction. I have said this from the beginning, but the divorce mess is over rated as an excuse why he won't go. He is not the only hockey player to ever divorce and get traded from a team with children. Homer can give him the option of winning a cup(Boston) or staying with a team that might be a year or two away(maybe more).
I don't necessarily think the divorce and family is the only reason, I think he likes it here and everyone on the team likes him. I think this is where he wants to be.

FlyersFan61290 03-14-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prongo (Post 61625263)
We have time to showcase Mez for a trade as well. Simon Gagne could also be shopped, possibly for the same return he got us. I could see Briere waiving his NTC if Homer approaches him and says we need to go in another direction. I have said this from the beginning, but the divorce mess is over rated as an excuse why he won't go. He is not the only hockey player to ever divorce and get traded from a team with children. Homer can give him the option of winning a cup(Boston) or staying with a team that might be a year or two away(maybe more).

if the rumors from a couple weeks ago are true they aren't that over rated.

buff 03-14-2013 08:20 AM

I hope not!!

Time to rebuild now!