HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Around the League: 2013 season Pt3 - Hopping on the CBJ bandwagon! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1375739)

s7ark 03-14-2013 10:18 AM

Around the League: 2013 season Pt3 - Hopping on the CBJ bandwagon!

Old thread passed 1000. Here are some posts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatKeith (Post 61617383)
While this is completely true, it's a little frustrating that the Flames, more often than not, face a team that was in Vancouver or Edmonton the night before and usually face the team's backup goalie because of one reason or another.

I remember last year during our season series with the Flames, 3 separate times when we faced them we played the night before. The reverse happened only once.

Quote:

Originally Posted by topchowda (Post 61617465)
Its a battle i go through every game. Hopefully they heat up just before the TDL and Feaster doesnt make any moves. They are still a competitive team, much more competitive then Oilers when we finished in the basement. Iggy/Bouw/Kipper/Tanguay are capable players.

It would be shocking if they finished deadlast with those players

edit: as per Tencer 10/25 of Flames games they get a back-up. Gustsafvson/Bachman/(insert no name)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devonator (Post 61617695)
I agree...they have to much of a veteran presence to finish in the bottom 5.....but they are simply not good enough for a playoff spot either....I would have to assume that next year, Iggy and Kipper will be gone and then you can start seeing a Flame team that is rock bottom...but as long as they have those guys, they can stay around .500 ....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devonator (Post 61617727)
I hear you...this schedule has been a joke this year in terms of favoring the Flames...astoundingly bad....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eskie Jetski (Post 61617973)
If only Colorado wasn't so anxious to match that damn offer sheet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KarmaPolice (Post 61619089)
It's not just this year; that's the thing. The Oilers should file a complaint and force the league to mix things up. Have more teams start their western road trips in Calgary more often instead of Edmonton almost every time. It's really not fair, and the thing is it is very easy to fix; this should be looked at by those that create the schedule and corrected for forthcoming seasons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yablo21 (Post 61619389)
It definitely sucks that we don't get to see back ups as often, but this is really just an endorsement of our skill. Even a bad Oilers team can light the lamp and gain momentum at times, and teams aren't willing to take the chance against us. This is not so much the case with the Flames.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatKeith (Post 61623471)
Jack Michaels ‏@EdmontonJack

EDM has faced back-up twice in 26 GP. Mike Smith was hurt, and Steve Mason was bailed out by Bobrovsky.

Jack Michaels ‏@EdmontonJack

So in other words, not one team in the NHL has willfully chosen to play its back-up goalie for more than 21 minutes against EDM this season.

That is really annoying. But maybe a sign of respect?

Also, looking at the schedule... Nashville plays in Vancouver Thursday night and Calgary Friday night... #shocking

Quote:

Originally Posted by joestevens29 (Post 61625833)
Howard was sick so it wasn't a normal we'll play our backup against Calgary. Because Detroit probably goes with Howard last night and then against us Friday as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joestevens29 (Post 61625857)
We saw back ups for years and never took advantage of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jepprey (Post 61626245)
lol exactly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RipsADrive (Post 61629165)
Just saw this post on the main boards.

I hope it's true.

RipsADrive 03-14-2013 11:38 AM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...65127575_n.jpg

New divisions are official.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home

For some reason when I saw that tweet that Winnipeg was coming west I thought that they'd be in our division.

Fuhryous 03-14-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RipsADrive (Post 61634441)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...65127575_n.jpg

New divisions are official.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home

For some reason when I saw that tweet that Winnipeg was coming west I thought that they'd be in our division.

Hopefully they rename the divisions, I'd be down with going back to Smythe, Patrick, Adams & Norris.

s7ark 03-14-2013 12:04 PM

Everyone will want to sign in Division D. Easiest travel schedule BY FAR. Div A and B will have tough times attracting quality FAs

OilerTyler 03-14-2013 12:17 PM

With the new divisions, the current playoff situation would look like this.

A
Anaheim 41
Vancouver 30
Los Angeles 30

B
Chicago 45
St Louis 30
Minnesota 28

Wild Card
Phoenix 29
San Jose 28
Winnipeg 28
Nashville 28
Dallas 26
Edmonton 25
Calgary 24
Colorado 24

So we would still be three points out of the playoffs

nofool6110 03-14-2013 12:18 PM

Columbus might never win a game...

GO99 03-14-2013 12:21 PM

LOL. Calgary gets Nashville Friday after Nashville plays Van today. I would like to see a stat of how many times they played a team on it's back to back or it's back up goalie.

s7ark 03-14-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueChip01 (Post 61636913)
LOL. Calgary gets Nashville Friday after Nashville plays Van today. I would like to see a stat of how many times they played a team on it's back to back or it's back up goalie.

Honestly, good. I'd prefer that Calgary keep racking up points against back-ups and on the second half of B2Bs. I'd love for them to be out of the top 10 for this draft.

It isn't like we need to worry abut them winning the cup or anything.

OilerTyler 03-14-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueChip01 (Post 61636913)

In their 25 games, 7 games have been against teams on the second half of a back to back.

Team's played against Edmonton the night before 3 times, against Vancouver 3 times, and Los Angeles 1 time.

Calgary has had a backup goaltender start against them 10 times (Schneider x2, Giguere, Emery, Bachman x2, Allen, Bernier, Greiss, Gustavsson)

*Everything was counted by me so it could be wrong

yukoner88 03-14-2013 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nofool6110 (Post 61636739)
Columbus might never win a game...

:laugh: They`ll have the Islanders to keep them company

Reimer 03-14-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilerTyler (Post 61636679)
With the new divisions, the current playoff situation would look like this.

A
Anaheim 41
Vancouver 30
Los Angeles 30

B
Chicago 45
St Louis 30
Minnesota 28

Wild Card
Phoenix 29
San Jose 28
Winnipeg 28
Nashville 28
Dallas 26
Edmonton 25
Calgary 24
Colorado 24

So we would still be three points out of the playoffs

No it wouldn't because the schedule would be entirely different.

topchowda 03-14-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark (Post 61637417)
Honestly, good. I'd prefer that Calgary keep racking up points against back-ups and on the second half of B2Bs. I'd love for them to be out of the top 10 for this draft.

It isn't like we need to worry abut them winning the cup or anything.

And if they keep beating teams like detriot and dallas it keeps the west tight. Playoff chance= no rebuild from Feaster, maybe even trade for an old vet

joestevens29 03-14-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark (Post 61635871)
Everyone will want to sign in Division D. Easiest travel schedule BY FAR. Div A and B will have tough times attracting quality FAs

How much different is it then now?

dustrock 03-14-2013 03:47 PM

Why aren't Florida and Tampa in D? I guess it's not a huge difference either way but the gap between most of C and Florida/Tampa is kinda funny.

Moonlapse Vertigo 03-14-2013 04:53 PM

Flames President Ken King held a presser today and talked about various issues.

Regarding a "burn it to the ground" re-build: "We don't want a long period of darkness like the Oilers."

It's semi-admirable that the Flames are intent on putting the best product possible on the ice for their paying customers but really, Ken? The Flames are last in the West and are well on their way to their fourth consecutive playoffless season. I'd call this a "long period of darkness."

GreatKeith 03-14-2013 05:08 PM

Could be he doesn't read the papers and sees the Flames BELOW the Oilers. They went into California with a mostly healthy lineup (as far as I know only Glencross was missing) and lost all 3 games and they weren't even close.

Even last night the Flames were getting horrendously outshot and outplayed through two periods. A couple of terrible giveaways and slightly suspect goaltending on the Wings side and the Flames pull out the victory.

They haven't beaten Chicago, they haven't beaten Anaheim, and they haven't beaten LA. Those are the three best teams in the Conference. Hell they can't even beat Colorado, and have multiple teams deal them slow pitches due to backup goalies or being on the second half of a back to back.

They have the worst goal differential in the West and have given up the most goals. The stat line for most things defensive speaks for itself.

I applaud their blind optimism but this thing hasn't worked for the last 3 years. Sure we haven't had any success either but at least we changed our formula after years of stubbornly trying to stay afloat when it was obvious that we couldn't. 2008 for us is like 2011 for Calgary when they came out of nowhere and just narrowly missed the playoffs. That instills false hope.

There is a better chance of the Leafs winning the Cup than the Flames making the playoffs.

But if they slide into 9th yet again it'll just be another year of the same thing. Only possibly minus Iginla.

topchowda 03-14-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo (Post 61650701)
Flames President Ken King held a presser today and talked about various issues.

Regarding a "burn it to the ground" re-build: "We don't want a long period of darkness like the Oilers."

It's semi-admirable that the Flames are intent on putting the best product possible on the ice for their paying customers but really, Ken? The Flames are last in the West and are well on their way to their fourth consecutive playoffless season. I'd call this a "long period of darkness."

I like this Ken King guy more and more, I hope he takes over GM role from feaster and trades Barstchi+Brodie+3 1sts for Lecavlier

Oiler fans are like recovering drug addicts. They have seen the bottom/ gone through detox and rehab and now trying to help drug addicted Calgary see that detox is painful but neccessary. Little right to give advice but better it comes from someone who knows rather then a Phi or Det fan who actaully have good GM's that can steer them clear of a last place finish. Different gm's different scouting staff, no comparable at all

How I see it: In this short season they are facing back up tendies/ team with lots of injuries. Your numbers are going to be inflated, this will lead to them not trading Iggy,Kipper or J-bo.

If Iggy isnt traded he walks as a UFA im positive, $$$ will change a person. Kipper is playing himself out of any value. Teams have goalie issues right now and will give something up for Kipper. In the off season teams can address the goalie need and any market for Kipper is gone.

The year to rebuild was definatly 2-3 years ago when Kipper was dominant and Iggy was putting up 30 goals seasons like nothing. This TDL is the absolute last chance for a rebuild, they have the assets to return younger players but those assets wont return much after the TDL. 2013 top 10 is supposedly much better then 2014 top 10 to.

Good to hear KK wont back down, its admirable thats he will fight.

But making the playoffs consistanly+having fun team to watch>>>fighting for 9th

s7ark 03-14-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustrock (Post 61647889)
Why aren't Florida and Tampa in D? I guess it's not a huge difference either way but the gap between most of C and Florida/Tampa is kinda funny.

They want the snowbirds from Canada to help fill up the Florida arenas whenever their team comes to town.

Groucho 03-14-2013 06:17 PM

For all the people who've complained about an inept Oilers medical/training staff, we're not the only ones. Spezza set back a month after trying to train before he was ready apparently.

Replacement 03-14-2013 08:44 PM

Toronto loses again tonight, giving up 3 goals in third period, and are headed down. Leafs will miss the playoffs, mark it down.

Another team of dinosaurs, the Philly Flyers are all but dead and buried and NJ toyed with them last night.

People should pay attention to how little the bruiser teams in the league typically accomplish. NJ schooled Flyers all night on actually playing hockey. Flyers had no answer.

Groucho 03-14-2013 08:47 PM

The Flyers have no defense.

Moonlapse Vertigo 03-14-2013 08:49 PM

Columbus racks up another point in a 2-1 shootout loss to the Hawks. Bobrovsky is playing fantastic for them right now.

Quote:

Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline
#CBJ Sergei Bobrovsky has stopped 39 of 40 tonight. That's 200 of 208 in his last seven games, a .962 save percentage.
"Oops." - Paul Holmgren

GreatKeith 03-14-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo (Post 61672807)
Columbus racks up another point in a 2-1 shootout loss to the Hawks. Bobrovsky is playing fantastic for them right now.

"Oops." - Paul Holmgren

He's had a few oops over the past few years

GO99 03-14-2013 09:21 PM

2-1 Vancouver

Rinne playing like crap

Minny winning I want them to take the division

dustrock 03-14-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 61672459)
The Flyers have no defense.

Or goaltending.