HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Edmonton Oilers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Omark Vs Rajala Vs Rieder (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1376075)

Aceboogie 03-14-2013 04:23 PM

Omark Vs Rajala Vs Rieder

3 small, skilled wingers. All 3 bring something a little different. Unlikely that we can take more than one of these guys as the line up is already small enough. Who gets a shot on the Oilers in the future?, who sticks? (if any)

Omark is havign a stellar season in the swiss league but unknown if hes cut out for NHL
Rajala was considered an unsaveable prospect but almost ppg in AHL
Reider is putting up good points in the OHL and has defensive value

Joey Moss 03-14-2013 04:25 PM

If any of them it's Tobias Rieder. He's 5'11 and 190 so not that bad and it sounds like he brings more than just skill.

Mr Forever 03-14-2013 04:26 PM

1) Reider is the most complete player. He plays some centre in the OHL, and PKs apparently. He's also apparently pretty gritty and plays a good defensive game. Could be a good second/third line player.

2) Omark has played in the NHl already, and has performed adequately. Horrible defensively and fairly one dimensional. If he isn't scoring or setting up plays, he isn't doing anything.

3) Fairly one dimensional offensively. I'm surprised he's having the season he's having.

OilDrop37 03-14-2013 04:27 PM

Went with none of the above. I think our top 9 will be full of average/small skilled forwards for the foreseeable future.

Jimmi McJenkins 03-14-2013 04:29 PM

I went with None as well, however I feel most strongly that of those players, Reider will have the best shot at being an NHLer just because of how complete his game appears to be right now.

The Nuge 03-14-2013 04:34 PM

Omark has the best chance, but not on our team, so I went with Reider

Neilio 03-14-2013 04:48 PM

Rieder.

They're all talented offensively, but he's the biggest and most well rounded. And By biggest, I mean Sam Gagner size.

Omark won't play for this team ever again. Rajala may be a called up a few times, but I think after another year or two, he's back in europe.

Rieder will need a year or three in the minors and by then, who knows what this team will look like. If we have more size down the middle and need a bit of skill with a bit of PK prowess on the 3RW spot, he could make it. I don't see him as a fit today or next year though. I'm hoping he turns into the German Pisani.

McCanovin 03-14-2013 04:48 PM

Rieder. He will a good replacement for Hemsky

Hall-2013 1st(Monahan please)-Rieder

joestevens29 03-14-2013 04:52 PM

Just last year Cornet was on a list like this.

I voted none. I can see them all playing some games, but they won't be an everyday Oiler without clearing some hurddles.

misfit 03-14-2013 04:54 PM

I didn't read the poll qestion and assumed it was a "who's better" poll. I voted Omark, but I don't think any of them will play for the Oilers. Reider or Rajala might get a one or two game cup of coffee, but that's the absolute most I could see happening.

Ragss 03-14-2013 04:57 PM

I had thought Rajala wouldn't even play in NA, so to see him get a cup of coffee at some point would be great.

CornKicker 03-14-2013 05:01 PM

i picked Rieder because he is the only one that is showing signs of constant improvement.

AlowlyMcOilersfan 03-14-2013 05:02 PM

Reider is the most likely.

Rajala is a curious prospect. I don't expect anything from him beyond the AHL level, but I'd be glad to be proved wrong.

Omark might have a future, but I don't think it's with the Oilers.

jumptheshark 03-14-2013 05:11 PM

the swiss league is like the ECHL for perspective

MoneyGuy 03-14-2013 06:00 PM

I went with one of the above as that's most likely, but the one who has the best chance is Reider.

Distinct 03-14-2013 06:07 PM

Reider, he scores and kills penalties.

Sloth Slothersons* 03-14-2013 06:40 PM

None of them stick.

Spawn 03-14-2013 06:52 PM

Voted none. Would love it if one of Rajala or Rieder panned out though. Would be awesome if one of our later picks turned into something really solid.

Jury is still out on Hartikainen and other than that I don't see much else in terms of late round picks for forwards turning out.

syz 03-14-2013 06:53 PM

Omark is the only one with a shot, but he should be given Jones's spot on the wing once his team is eliminated from the playoffs so they can showcase him for a trade.

Eskimo44 03-14-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumptheshark (Post 61651477)
the swiss league is like the ECHL for perspective

No it's not. And during the lockout it was considerably stronger due to the influx of NHL talent. With many other european leagues (SEL, KHL, ect..) being very selective with who they'd allow to play, the Swiss league and it's open door policy was a huge benefactor. The ECHL is a feeder league with alot of goon's, the Swiss league is full of solid entrenched pro's with little goonery. The purpose of the league is not to feed NHL teams role players. They have some poorer talent on the depth lines with "non-imports" taking up some spots, but the top players are of a higher caliber than what you'd find in the ECHL. Brunner got an NHL contract for his performance, it's a competitive league. I'm not going to try and tell you it's a terrific league but there are certainly significant differences between the Swiss league and the ECHL.

Eskimo44 03-14-2013 08:26 PM

Omark would be still my pick for an NHL career but Reider looks like a good player and he's not going to be a victim of the current logjam of small forwards.

PetryTV 03-14-2013 10:31 PM

If Rieder gets brought along nice and slow, I can picture him being an offensive 3rd liner who can play top 6 if injuries happen.

Really pushing for Rajala to succeed though, with or with out us

Jek McPorkins 03-14-2013 10:41 PM

I voted None, but with a new GM and a roster revamp, Omark makes the most sense for a tryout. It would take more than a miracle for that, but the other two are big Longshots.

randylahey 03-15-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eskimo44 (Post 61668355)
No it's not. And during the lockout it was considerably stronger due to the influx of NHL talent. With many other european leagues (SEL, KHL, ect..) being very selective with who they'd allow to play, the Swiss league and it's open door policy was a huge benefactor. The ECHL is a feeder league with alot of goon's, the Swiss league is full of solid entrenched pro's with little goonery. The purpose of the league is not to feed NHL teams role players. They have some poorer talent on the depth lines with "non-imports" taking up some spots, but the top players are of a higher caliber than what you'd find in the ECHL. Brunner got an NHL contract for his performance, it's a competitive league. I'm not going to try and tell you it's a terrific league but there are certainly significant differences between the Swiss league and the ECHL.

As much as I agree with your assessment of the Swiss league, you're quite a ways off on the ECHL being a goon league. They capped the rosters a while ago and the goon factor has died significantly. There is no more goonery there than the AHL.