HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Capitals have been the biggest disappointment. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1376443)

S E P H 03-14-2013 11:50 PM

Capitals have been the biggest disappointment.

I understand that some of you will say that Flyers will be biggest disappointment, but losing Jagr/JvR and not replacing them seems like common sense why they're doing poorly and the defensive core including L. Schenn have been average at best.

But Caps to me are the biggest disappointment. I thought they would build on the playoff run they had last year, but majority of their players are under performing and losing Semin (even though he has been decent this year) shouldn't be the main factor of their current non-playoff standing.

I know everyone will point at Ovechkin and needs to be better, but Green (when he has been in the lineup), Carlson, Alzner, Backstrom, Wolski, Johansson, Holtby, and Neuvirth have all been playing well below expectations.

Fordy 03-15-2013 12:07 AM

Is it really that surprising? They lost Semin, Ovechkin's on the decline, Backstrom and Green were overrated to begin with. No goaltending.

Flyers lost great players, goaltending still absent, Giroux was never that good to begin with.

I didn't expect either of them to be that great. Not as bad as they are, certainly, but it's not as shocking as you think.

ChibiPooky 03-15-2013 12:50 AM

I point to coming into season on a short camp with a new system as a big factor in the early crappy run. Adding to that, Orlov and Laich haven't played a game between them. Johansson got a concussion before the season started, tried to play through it, and couldn't, coming back 2 games ago. Green is Green = broken.

Backstrom sucked to start the season (probably due to adjusting to playing on the smaller NHL ice), but is climbing back into the assist leaderboard. Ribeiro has been good. Not sure how Wolski could fail to meet expectations, as we all (on the Caps board) expected him to be out of the lineup. I actually thought Green played quite well when he was in the lineup.

The main problem is that the Caps have a lot of players playing above their grade, notably at LW and both D.

RD: Alzner would be better suited right now as a 2LD, but he's passable as a 1. Kundratek started the year in Hershey and is the Caps 2RD (but he was hurt tonight, so who knows who they'll be putting in). Oleksy started the year in the ECHL and is the Caps 3RD, but somehow has managed to lead the team in TOI twice in less than 10 career NHL games.

LD: Carlson, would make a better 2LD right now, but with Green down, he's a passable 1. Erskine had a pretty decent run as 2LD, but he got a mysterious "upper body injury" from making a pass in the Islanders game and hasn't been seen since, so either Poti or Schultz has been filling the 2LD role, while both should be healthy scratches. The other has, for the most part, been the 3LD, with Hamrlik sitting on the bench for most of the season. Schilling started the year in Hershey and played a game at 3LD, but don't know how much we'll see of him.

LW: The Caps have iced the following at 1LW this year: Concussed Marcus Johansson (better now, but playing C), Matt Hendricks, Jason Chimera

The goalies have been more inconsistent than anything else, which I expected because they're young.

Look at CapGeek. The Caps have Crabb, Beagle, Johansson, Hendricks, Wolski, Fehr, Volpatti, Kundratek, Hillen, and Oleksy all making less than $1M this year. Only Kundratek, Oleksy, and Johansson are on their ELC. Neither goalie is in more than his 3rd NHL season.

I'm not making excuses - the point is that your (and most people's, including mine) expectations for this team were not based in reality, even if there weren't any injuries. They were never going to be any good.

HOLDITHERE 03-15-2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordy (Post 61693303)
Is it really that surprising? They lost Semin, Ovechkin's on the decline, Backstrom and Green were overrated to begin with. No goaltending.

Flyers lost great players, goaltending still absent, Giroux was never that good to begin with.

I didn't expect either of them to be that great. Not as bad as they are, certainly, but it's not as shocking as you think.

lolwut?

Green dominated offensively, was DECENT defensively, and then has been given a string of injuries over the past few seasons. Likely won't ever be the player he was again. But overrated, hardly, when everyone hated him since day 1.

Backstrom is still a mystery. He got hurt in the KHL, some think it's still nagging him. I think all the changes/lack there of in DC are taking a toll on certain players. I mean, sure they could put those feelings on the ice, but I have half the team, aside from Ribs aren't even trying this season.

Ovechkin is on the decline. Is anyone REALLY expecting him to score 50 goals every year he plays?

Giroux, as much as I hate him, is that good.

Lost great players? Jagr is how old now?

Extra Texture 03-15-2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOLDITHERE (Post 61695019)
lolwut?
Lost great players? Jagr is how old now?

Jagr was 40 last year and was still doing the business for the Flyers. More importantly, he seemed like an excellent fit with a young, developing team. His age has nothing to do with his importance.

Dont agree with everything posted, but still, that was a valid point.

DespoticNewt 03-15-2013 01:12 AM

I'd say that the Rangers have been the biggest disappointment this year. They won the Rick Nash sweepstakes while losing very few pieces and are a middling 9th in the east. I thought that Nash was the glorious herald, sent to lead the Rangers to tops in the East?

Krishna 03-15-2013 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extra Texture (Post 61695251)
Jagr was 40 last year and was still doing the business for the Flyers. More importantly, he seemed like an excellent fit with a young, developing team. His age has nothing to do with his importance.

Dont agree with everything posted, but still, that was a valid point.

Let me say a few things.

Jagr was playing well up until about February. After that, he was absolute trash. He reinjured his groin and wasn't taken out of the lineup. He, in my opinion, is the reason why Giroux didn't hit 100 points last season. He'd hold onto the puck too long and was too slow to get away from any defenders.

As for his leadership, he had everyone working harder. Even Jody Shelley was doing late night practices with Jagr even though he was a healthy scratch most of the games last year.

Krishna 03-15-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DespoticNewt (Post 61695651)
I'd say that the Rangers have been the biggest disappointment this year. They won the Rick Nash sweepstakes while losing very few pieces and are a middling 9th in the east. I thought that Nash was the glorious herald, sent to lead the Rangers to tops in the East?

They gave up Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erixon, and a 1st for nash.

That took 2 forwards out of their lineup for Nash.

They also lost Prust and Fedotenko to UFA while replacing them with Aaron asham.

Also Gaborik had a healthy season last year.

People flamed me last year when I said that they overachieved greatly. Tortorella's system is just going to lead to a ton of injuries.

DespoticNewt 03-15-2013 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna (Post 61695859)

They also lost Prust and Fedotenko to UFA while replacing them with Aaron asham.

People flamed me last year when I said that they overachieved greatly. Tortorella's system is just going to lead to a ton of injuries.

Agreed. Torts' system needs a complete buy in from everyone, but you can't play every game like it's the playoffs. Ultimately, you need to outscore your opponents.

Bobby G 03-15-2013 01:43 AM

Why not go back to Backstrom and Ovechkin together? Whose idea was it to split them up anyway?

SherVaughn30 03-15-2013 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S E P H (Post 61692335)
I understand that some of you will say that Flyers will be biggest disappointment, but losing Jagr/JvR and not replacing them seems like common sense why they're doing poorly and the defensive core including L. Schenn have been average at best.

But Caps to me are the biggest disappointment. I thought they would build on the playoff run they had last year, but majority of their players are under performing and losing Semin (even though he has been decent this year) shouldn't be the main factor of their current non-playoff standing.

I know everyone will point at Ovechkin and needs to be better, but Green (when he has been in the lineup), Carlson, Alzner, Backstrom, Wolski, Johansson, Holtby, and Neuvirth have all been playing well below expectations.

It is so easy to point the fingers at Ovechkin, but he is small beans to the real problem, which is Ted Leonsis, Dick Patrick and George McPhee.

Ted Leonsis, the owner, is not interested in winning a Stanley Cup. He is only interested in making profits and maintaining his self image. Dick Patrick was a carry over from owner Abe Pollin's days. Patrick comes into the picture because he is the one that Ted entrust's and he is the one that has kept McPhee employed for 15 years!

You subtract Ovechkin, Backstrom, Forsburg and Kuznetsov, and everything else McPhee has done is just about garbage. McPhee track record over 15 years speaks for itself, as mostly bad drafting past the 2nd round and his terrible build of teams with bad playoff success. The 29 other NHL owners would have fired McPhee many years ago, but Ted won't do it because McPhee just does enough to make the owner money.

The best way to look at the Caps demise since Leonsis took over as owner, is AOL. I think I don't need to say anymore.

Lint07 03-15-2013 02:15 AM

Quote:

Please tell me you are joking.
There's so much wrong with this post, I don't even know where to begin..

giddy up 03-15-2013 03:27 AM

Quote:

What?

Giroux is an elite player.

njdevils1982 03-15-2013 03:36 AM

sabres disappoint the most for the masses that pegged them for a playoff spot.

cmon all fools! hands up all you that got sucked into the hype.

step forward and be heard now. :laugh:

baa baa ....

DespoticNewt 03-15-2013 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevils1982 (Post 61698147)
sabres disappoint the most for the masses that pegged them for a playoff spot.

cmon all fools! hands up all you that got sucked into the hype.

step forward and be heard now. :laugh:

baa baa ....

I shudder to think of what's going to happen to the Devils once Fatty Brodeur retires. Have we seen the new Devils with Hedberg between the pipes? Who do you have in your system to step in?

1865 03-15-2013 06:05 AM

Quote:

, Giroux was never that good to begin with.

Hahaha

Robert Theodorson 03-15-2013 06:24 AM

Not really, I had them 3rd in the SE behind Florida and Tampa before the season started.

Capitals never had a solid roster entering the season. McPhee did a very poor job of putting a 2012-13 roster together, and it shows.

I'm still not sorry Semin is gone. Good for him and his sucess in Carolina, but his time was over in Washington, he had plenty of years to prove himself but always washed out when it came to the playoffs.

njdevils1982 03-15-2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DespoticNewt (Post 61698335)
I shudder to think of what's going to happen to the Devils once Fatty Brodeur retires. Have we seen the new Devils with Hedberg between the pipes? Who do you have in your system to step in?

thats why your not a devils fan. no one replaces marty yet no fan is worried. it just is.

you can look up the prospect pipeline yourself though. there are guys waiting to play.

i'll sure as hell wont do it for you if you can't be bothered to.

bigbuffalo313 03-15-2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DespoticNewt (Post 61695651)

Nash is doing very good. Torts decided to move him away from players that worked with him and put him with two players who are underachieving this year.

Tender Rip 03-15-2013 06:35 AM

Hard to say who has been more disappointing between Caps, Rangers, Philly and also Tampa. In the West there's San Jose, and otherwise I don't know if anyone have really disappointed - perhaps more should be expected of the Oilers after so many top picks, and St.Louis have not been what they teased to become last year, but that is largely it, IMO.

Florida gets a bye despite their playoff run last season. Too many key injuries on a team with questionable forward talent to begin with.

Bob Richards 03-15-2013 07:31 AM

I'd nominate the Rangers easily. Tons of promise coming into this season and even though there is still a sizable chunk of hockey left, I didn't expect to be this stale.

DespoticNewt 03-15-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njdevils1982 (Post 61699545)
thats why your not a devils fan. no one replaces marty yet no fan is worried. it just is.

you can look up the prospect pipeline yourself though. there are guys waiting to play.

i'll sure as hell wont do it for you if you can't be bothered to.

Here I thought that people were proud of the prospects for their favourite team, often taking the first chance they get to crow about them. I also figured that a Devils fan would know more about how his team's prospects look than someone who hasn't watched them play. I really don't care how the Devils are or their prospects are, really. Considering that Beodeur is to NJ as Miller is to Buffalo, I figured that you guys would be worried about when he retired.

Robert Theodorson 03-15-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DespoticNewt (Post 61700441)
Considering that Beodeur is to NJ as Miller is to Buffalo, I figured that you guys would be worried about when he retired.

Cue the Billy Madison quote in 3...2...1...

MoreOrr 03-15-2013 08:07 AM

I don't know, Florida is a pretty damn big disappointment as well; after they finally gave their fans something to cheer about last spring, I'm sure they were hoping of more of the same.

Beukeboom Fan 03-15-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krishna (Post 61695859)

Don't see how you can pin the Rangers issues on AA or BD. Neither player was a significant contributor last year, and Nash has been great.

IMO, it comes down to Richards is out shape and playing like crap, Lundquist is looking like an average goalie, and a bunch of others are underperforming offensively. To somehow put this on AA or BD is ridiculous when neither was a major contributor last year.