HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Who can replace the hole (3C) with Manny Malhotra gone (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1377169)

solitary 03-15-2013 11:00 PM

Who can replace the hole (3C) with Manny Malhotra gone
 
So I was thinking today, who out there can replace the hole as the third line center.
Thoughts?

El Duderino 03-15-2013 11:03 PM

Steve Ott, Marcel Goc off the top of my head. Neither will be particularly cheap to bring in though.

Pseudonymous* 03-15-2013 11:04 PM

It wont be filled within the organization unless theyre giving up on a run this year

canuck4life16 03-15-2013 11:05 PM

Derek Roy or Steve ott?

ZenMaster* 03-15-2013 11:08 PM

Kellan Lain

Reverend Mayhem 03-15-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pseudonymous01 (Post 61740303)
It wont be filled within the organization unless theyre giving up on a run this year

Yup.

Nuckles 03-15-2013 11:12 PM

One guy I wanted since the lockout ended was Matt Cullen, but I doubt Minnesota would want to move him.

jigsaw99 03-15-2013 11:12 PM

i thought Malhotra is a 4th line centre?

Benjo 03-15-2013 11:27 PM

He was 3C before the eye injury and Lappy was 4C, since then Manny and Lappiere swapped.

struckmatch 03-15-2013 11:31 PM

This is definitely a glaring need if the Canucks want to take a few more shots at a cup with this core.

Must be addressed.

solitary 03-16-2013 12:03 AM

I would love to see Marcel Goc here, but I don't know if it would happen.

Smokey McCanucks 03-16-2013 12:12 AM

Kesler should be 3C, focus on shut-down game, have some dude be second line center, the wingers will make him good. Nobody who will cost us anyone important.

thepuckmonster 03-16-2013 12:16 AM

Some dude from Europe.

Johnny Canuck 03-16-2013 12:25 AM

chubarov

biturbo19 03-16-2013 12:35 AM

Brassard.

cc 03-16-2013 01:01 AM

It depends on how AV and/or gillis wants to construct this team. Some of the more successful teams are rolling at least 3 scoring lines and 1 energy line with no checking line per se. If that is the case, they would be on the lookout for more of an offense minded player.

PG Canuck 03-16-2013 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cc (Post 61746557)
It depends on how AV and/or gillis wants to construct this team. Some of the more successful teams are rolling at least 3 scoring lines and 1 energy line with no checking line per se. If that is the case, they would be on the lookout for more of an offense minded player.

I think our best option is to pursue a 3C that can bring offense to the team, as well as a good defensive game. We all know how Pahlsson panned out last playoffs, plus, we need secondary scoring from everywhere in our lineup since it usually dries up in the playoffs. AV needs to be able to trust the 3C defensively, otherwise I don't see it working.

Not saying these guys are good fits, realistic or whatever you may have it, but guys already mentioned like Roy, Ott, Brassard, Goc wouldn't be bad, per se. I don't think there are many options out there that are available to us, so if we want to make a run at the Cup, we can't be overly picky. We need a 3C, that's the bottom-line.

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6 03-16-2013 01:14 AM

Shawn Mathias makes a lot of sense to me, for the 3C hole.

Young still (25).
Contract ends this year, but he's an RFA, probably won't get any more than 1.1 mil.
Solid defensively while being able to put up some goals.
Has a +4 on a team that is collectively -37 with goals. (one of only 2 Florida players with a positive +\-, keep in mind he plays the penalty kill as well).
Decent size (6'3", 211 lbs)
Canadian (not a big deal, but... can't hurt!)
Can hit and fight.

He seems like a better fit to me, than Goc. And he can probably be had for less...

LolClarkson* 03-16-2013 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0bjectiveC0mput0r (Post 61746959)
Shawn Mathias makes a lot of sense to me, for the 3C hole.

Young still (25).
Contract ends this year, but he's an RFA, probably won't get any more than 1.1 mil.
Solid defensively while being able to put up some goals.
Has a +4 on a team that is collectively -37 with goals. (one of only 2 Florida players with a positive +\-, keep in mind he plays the penalty kill as well).
Decent size (6'3", 211 lbs)
Canadian (not a big deal, but... can't hurt!)
Can hit and fight.

He seems like a better fit to me, than Goc. And he can probably be had for less...

Didn't Goc learn how to lose in San Jose ? I dunno about him. Too clumsy.

biturbo19 03-16-2013 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG Canuck (Post 61746683)
I think our best option is to pursue a 3C that can bring offense to the team, as well as a good defensive game. We all know how Pahlsson panned out last playoffs, plus, we need secondary scoring from everywhere in our lineup since it usually dries up in the playoffs. AV needs to be able to trust the 3C defensively, otherwise I don't see it working.

Not saying these guys are good fits, realistic or whatever you may have it, but guys already mentioned like Roy, Ott, Brassard, Goc wouldn't be bad, per se. I don't think there are many options out there that are available to us, so if we want to make a run at the Cup, we can't be overly picky. We need a 3C, that's the bottom-line.

I don't think you can dispute that the bolded is true. Ideally, we get a superb 2-way player to be our #3C. I'm just not convinced that's a realistic option. I mean...that's basically describing a Kesler/Staal/O'Reilly/etc. type player, and it's hard to fit that into our cap system...not to mention the acquisition cost of those sort of players. If you're basically talking extremely well-rounded 2nd line Centers...

Which is why the discussion naturally tends towards 'more offense' vs 'more defence'. And that's where the debate is really. And ultimately it boils down to...is Kesler better as a pure offensive threat with limited tertiary backup scoring...or as a checking center who can put up points and dominate on the PP, with a more offensive center behind him to lighten the load offensively.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0bjectiveC0mput0r (Post 61746959)
Shawn Mathias makes a lot of sense to me, for the 3C hole.

Young still (25).
Contract ends this year, but he's an RFA, probably won't get any more than 1.1 mil.
Solid defensively while being able to put up some goals.
Has a +4 on a team that is collectively -37 with goals. (one of only 2 Florida players with a positive +\-, keep in mind he plays the penalty kill as well).
Decent size (6'3", 211 lbs)
Canadian (not a big deal, but... can't hurt!)
Can hit and fight.

He seems like a better fit to me, than Goc. And he can probably be had for less...

I like Matthias as a player, but i just don't see how he's a better fit that Goc. I'm not overly keen on Goc tbh, but he's playing ahead of Matthias in a weak Florida lineup. It's hard to see Matthias as a particular upgrade on Lappy at the moment. They're both 4th line Centers on this team. Though adding him independent of a '3rd line C' addition would certainly be of real interest to me. You'd get your defensive LH faceoff guy, and it would help free us up to grab a guy like Brassard as the #3C with a more offense-oriented role.

pahlsson 03-16-2013 03:30 AM

http://origin.agilitycms.com/nhlpaco...hots/30351.jpg

Real Gudbranson 03-16-2013 03:36 AM

http://origin.agilitycms.com/nhlpaco...hots/25040.jpg
for PRnuck

GranvilleIsland 03-16-2013 03:50 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...lon_01_KMJ.jpg

:sarcasm:

struckmatch 03-16-2013 03:51 AM

Has to be from outside the organization. No more scrubs as third line centers. Malhotra was the perfect fit before his unlucky and tragic injury.

Depth down the middle is a prerequisite for winning the cup or a long playoff run.

Ebbett
Schroeder
Lapierre
Raymond
Higgins
Burrows

None of those players are the answer. Gillis would be smart to make a move before the deadline to avoid the ridiculous price tags that stem from the deadline.

cc 03-16-2013 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0bjectiveC0mput0r (Post 61746959)
Shawn Mathias makes a lot of sense to me, for the 3C hole.

Young still (25).
Contract ends this year, but he's an RFA, probably won't get any more than 1.1 mil.
Solid defensively while being able to put up some goals.
Has a +4 on a team that is collectively -37 with goals. (one of only 2 Florida players with a positive +\-, keep in mind he plays the penalty kill as well).
Decent size (6'3", 211 lbs)
Canadian (not a big deal, but... can't hurt!)
Can hit and fight.

He seems like a better fit to me, than Goc. And he can probably be had for less...

Actually, he would be my choice as well. Big rangy center who can skate and still has upside.

Edit: hockeydb lists him at 6'4 216 ibs. I would definitely prefer him over goc but maybe mathias will cost more


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.