HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Adam Oates would be tearing up today's NHL. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1377787)

Balloonknott 03-16-2013 07:49 PM

Adam Oates would be tearing up today's NHL.
 
No clutch n grab? (Sheesh)
There's no doubt this guy wouldn't be putting up sick points.
As a matter of fact, I'm surprised so many here compare Crosby to Lemieux or Gretzky, when in fact his game is more relevant to Oates.
i.e. Gretzky and Lemieux were goal scorers, where Crosby isn't.

Comments?

Opinions?

.

Kloparren 03-16-2013 07:57 PM

Crosby is more like a nicer Forsberg. Uses power and agility for playmaking.

fireworks 03-16-2013 08:04 PM

Gretzky was a great goal scorer, but he was the best passer ever.


11 times with over 100 assists in the season?

No offense to Oates...loved Oates

I Hate Chris Butler 03-16-2013 08:05 PM

Oates' prime was before the Dead Puck Era.

PensFanSince1989 03-16-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balloonknott (Post 61793439)
No clutch n grab? (Sheesh)
There's no doubt this guy wouldn't be putting up sick points.
As a matter of fact, I'm surprised so many here compare Crosby to Lemieux or Gretzky, when in fact his game is more relevant to Oates.
i.e. Gretzky and Lemieux were goal scorers, where Crosby isn't.

Comments?

Opinions?

.

Um, Crosby's rocket Richard trophy says hi.

Have My Baby Pierre 03-16-2013 08:11 PM

Certainly not tearing it up behind the bench

HockeySens 03-16-2013 08:12 PM

crosby is more of a pass first kind of a guy but he can be a goal scorer if he wants.

Phelan 03-16-2013 08:14 PM

Craig Janney for Hart!!!

Balloonknott 03-16-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pens nSince1989 (Post 61795525)
Um, Crosby's rocket Richard trophy says hi.

Let's be serious, Crosby would never have shared that Richard had Ovechkin not played 10 less games.

Do you disagree?

.

Sky04 03-16-2013 08:29 PM

so would a million other players, but that's nice.

PsychoDad 03-16-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler (Post 61795401)
Oates' prime was before the Dead Puck Era.

Oates holds the record for the oldest player ever to lead the league in assists. That was actually in the middle of the dead puck era.

SteelFish87 03-16-2013 08:32 PM

Disagree

And Crosby >>> Oates

I Hate Chris Butler 03-16-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoDad (Post 61797853)
Oates holds the record for the oldest player ever to lead the league in assists. That was actually in the middle of the dead puck era.

But he was well passed his prime.

Oates' best seasons were in the highest scoring NHL seasons in recent memory.

StringerBell 03-16-2013 08:34 PM

No clutch and grab? Try watching the west. It's been pretty bad out here this year.

hatterson 03-16-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balloonknott (Post 61797217)
Let's be serious, Crosby would never have shared that Richard had Ovechkin not played 10 less games.

Do you disagree?

.

I think that's pretty obvious given that Ovechkin was only 1 goal behind, but that doesn't change the fact that Crosby is a far more prolific goal scorer than Oates ever was.

Crosby's best 5 goal scoring years: 51, 39, 36, 33, 32 (41 games)
Oates' best 5 goal scoring years: 45, 32, 25 (61 games), 25, 23

sjshark91 03-16-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StringerBell (Post 61798461)
No clutch and grab? Try watching the west. It's been pretty bad out here this year.

Just don't nudge the goalies.

pdd 03-16-2013 09:04 PM

Oates would put up sick numbers, and make his winger some kind of hero to his hometown fans, but he's not the best Crosby comparison.

That would be early-career Steve Yzerman. Crosby plays the same kind of game, and like Yzerman is an excellent playmaker with good goal scoring skills and high point output.

One major difference? Yzerman used his slapshot a great deal more than Crosby. Although that could also have been a result of the differences in goaltending style/quality across the eras.

dirk41 03-16-2013 09:18 PM

Yes a player who started his career in 1985--during the highest scoring era of the NHL--would be tearing it up now.

No clutching and grabbing? It's not 2006.

BruinsBtn 03-16-2013 09:40 PM

OP doesn't make sense on any level.

octopi 03-16-2013 09:54 PM

At this point, I wish Oates would stop coaching and start playing for the Caps.
That might actually work.

tarheelhockey 03-16-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler (Post 61798337)
But he was well passed his prime.

Oates' best seasons were in the highest scoring NHL seasons in recent memory.

I get what you're saying, but the guy still led the league in assists at both 38 and 39, right in the middle of the dead puck era. That validates the idea that he would have absolutely killed it in an obstruction-free league.... which is exactly what he did in the early 1990s.

Any way you slice it, he would be right up there with Thornton, St.
Louis and Sedin as one of the great setup men of this era.

tarheelhockey 03-16-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eva unit zero (Post 61802065)
Oates would put up sick numbers, and make his winger some kind of hero to his hometown fans, but he's not the best Crosby comparison.

That would be early-career Steve Yzerman. Crosby plays the same kind of game, and like Yzerman is an excellent playmaker with good goal scoring skills and high point output.

One major difference? Yzerman used his slapshot a great deal more than Crosby. Although that could also have been a result of the differences in goaltending style/quality across the eras.

Another major difference -- unlike early-career Yzerman, Crosby has a reputation for being well-rounded and dominating all three zones. I can't even remember the last time someone complained about him floating.

DuklaNation 03-17-2013 12:14 AM

I might agree that Oates was a better playmaker than most or all of the players right now. However, while the clutch & grab has been reduced, there is major interference going on in today's game despite what you may read or hear.

Roboturner913 03-17-2013 01:14 AM

I absolutely believe Adam Oates would be a great player in any era, but the only year in recent memory that even comes close to approximating the late 80's-early 90's is 05-06. Even then, you had only 7 players score 100 points, and nobody was putting up the insane 150-160 point seasons that were going on then.

PsychoDad 03-17-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 61815673)
I get what you're saying, but the guy still led the league in assists at both 38 and 39, right in the middle of the dead puck era. That validates the idea that he would have absolutely killed it in an obstruction-free league.... which is exactly what he did in the early 1990s.

Any way you slice it, he would be right up there with Thornton, St.
Louis and Sedin as one of the great setup men of this era
.

He would be better than any of them. Oates is only player to center 3! 50 goal scorers. Oates literally made good players like Hull and Neely into hall of famers.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.