HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Everyone seems to think Tavares is a lock. I don't think so. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1378009)

joe_shannon_1983* 03-17-2013 12:28 AM

Everyone seems to think Tavares is a lock. I don't think so.
 
Everyone seems to think Tavares is a “lock” for Team Canada at the 2014 Olympics.

I don't think so.

Consider the following assumptions, all of which are reasonable and logical:

- Crosby has the 1st-line centre job locked-up.

- Team Canada tends to place a premium on experience and proven track-records. This is especially true for someone like Steve Yzerman, whose Stanley Cups and Gold Medals has no doubt taught him that past successes help prime you for present successes.

- Based on that last assumption, one must think that a player like Getzlaf (2010 Gold Medallist and 2007 Stanley Cup winner) has the inside track for the 2nd-line centre job. And Getzlaf isn't merely riding on past accomplishments, either. He is a very good player right now in 2013. He is in the same tier as Tavares. His past successful performances gives him the edge over Tavares.

- Tavares lacks experience playing as a wing, and his style of game isn't ideally suited to play the wing. So a spot on the wing on a scoring line (either line 1 or line 2) seems to not make much sense. Players like Stamkos, Giroux, Staal, Nash, and Perry (all of whom either have past wing experience and/or have styles of play that translate well to playing the wing) seem to be the front-runners for wing positions on the scoring lines.

- Tavares isn't particularly strong defensively. So a spot on a checking line (either line 3 or line 4) seems to be out of the question. Toews and Bergeron seem to be the locks to centre line 3 and line 4. And Tavares, based on both the previous assumption and based on his lack of defensive strength, doesn't have any place as a winger on either of these lines.

Based on all of this, it seems that his only real hope is being chosen as the 13th forward, as a PP specialist or something along those lines. The rumour that the Olympics might expand the roster limit to 25 players (as opposed to the usual 23 players) obviously would increase his chances, as this would mean that 14 forwards are taken. I think he only becomes a “lock” in the scenario where 14 forwards are taken. Any less than 14 forwards, he is definitely on the bubble and probably is less than 50% likely.

It seems like he is going to be the next Jason Spezza as it relates to Team Canada. Elite offensive skills, but not quite versatile enough to be chosen.

Kevin27nyi 03-17-2013 12:37 AM

Tavares doesn't lack that much experience on wing, he has in international tournaments I believe and played a lot in Switzerland. Put him next to Crosby, enjoy the magic.

joe_shannon_1983* 03-17-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI (Post 61820139)
Tavares doesn't lack that much experience on wing, he has in international tournaments I believe and played a lot in Switzerland. Put him next to Crosby, enjoy the magic.

I don't think he is good enough skating-wise to play with Crosby. Especially on the bigger ice-surface.

Crosby likes to play with wingers who are fast, and able to be where he wants them to be at the right time. He likes to attack the zone with speed, and dish to players who can keep up with him.

He also has a history of playing well with players who are good at mucking it up in the corners and along the boards. This doesn't describe Tavares.

Paulinho 03-17-2013 12:41 AM

He is a lock. Too bad this thread isn't locked.

Kevin27nyi 03-17-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy (Post 61820233)
I don't think he is good enough skating-wise to play with Crosby. Especially on the bigger ice-surface.

Crosby likes to play with wingers who are fast, and able to be where he wants them to be at the right time. He likes to attack the zone with speed, and dish to players who can keep up with him.

He also has a history of playing well with players who are good at mucking it up in the corners and along the boards. This doesn't describe Tavares.

You sure about that? Tavares wins many battles, he also has improved his speed a lot. He isn't a slow poke at all. Check out a game.

joe_shannon_1983* 03-17-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulinho (Post 61820329)
He is a lock. Too bad this thread isn't locked.

How is he a lock?

Where does he fit?

Name a prospective line and line combination.

topshelfie 03-17-2013 12:44 AM

How about Tavares moves to the wing?

Tavares Crosby Stamkos


:scared:

Trance Kuja 03-17-2013 12:44 AM

He's a lock.

Canada's team will be mostly centers, let their coach figure out who plays center and who plays wing.

Stamkos Crosby Nash
Giroux Tavares St. Louis
Perry Getzlaf Duchene
Thornton Toews Iginla
E. Staal, Marleau

Something like that. :laugh:

Hardyvan123 03-17-2013 12:44 AM

can't really disagree here with anything and his lack of world class skating might keep him off the team as well.

Might be the next Adam Oates in this regard but he is still an extremely valuable players and on a HHOF track IMO, while it seems very unlikely that Bergeron will get in.

Puckgenius* 03-17-2013 12:45 AM

canadas 4 centres will be

Crosby
stamkos
tavares
getzlaf

In that order. Tavares is playing with leftover scrubs in NYI and look what hes doing.

tml145 03-17-2013 12:45 AM

Crosby
Getzlaf
Bergeron
Stamkos
Towes
Giroux
Spezza
Thorton

i would think are ahead of him in depth charts

but i would think team Canada would want him there so he can have experience for the next Olymics or World Cup

John McClane 03-17-2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topshelfie (Post 61820397)
How about Tavares moves to the wing?

Tavares Crosby Stamkos


:scared:

Just give us the gold.

joe_shannon_1983* 03-17-2013 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin27NYI (Post 61820383)
You sure about that? Tavares wins many battles, he also has improved his speed a lot. He isn't a slow poke at all. Check out a game.

He isn't as quick or as feisty as the players I mentioned.

His game doesn't translate to the wing as well as Stamkos, Giroux, Staal, Nash, or Perry.

Should Team Canada pick someone to play the wing, when more suitable players are available?

Stop Winnin 03-17-2013 12:45 AM

He has too much skill and will not be ignored for Canada it's really as simple as that.

I do understand what OP is saying though, skill isn't everything.

joe_shannon_1983* 03-17-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckgenius (Post 61820435)
canadas 4 centres will be

Crosby
stamkos
tavares
getzlaf

In that order. Tavares is playing with leftover scrubs in NYI and look what hes doing.

You are crazy if you think Toews won't be at centre.

Top forward at the last Olympics. Conn Smythe winner. No weakness in any part of his game.

Chfan 03-17-2013 12:46 AM

He's most definitely a lock. Doesn't matter how they use him, he's just too good to not be on that team.

Puckgenius* 03-17-2013 12:47 AM

Because Of the age and inexperience that Stamkos and Tavares have Getzlaf will be leaned on a lot defensively for his defensive game.

Paulinho 03-17-2013 12:48 AM

Tavares is strong on his skates and goes into the dirty areas better than anyone in the league today. He may not be experienced on the wing but his game would transition easily to the Right Wing which is where he sets up on the PP. In fact many Islander fans felt he might be better suited for the wing early in his career. You put him on the RW on the 2nd line with Giroux centering him and i wouldn't be surprised if he led the Bronze Medal winning Canadians in goals.

;)

joe_shannon_1983* 03-17-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topshelfie (Post 61820397)
How about Tavares moves to the wing?

Tavares Crosby Stamkos


:scared:

That was one of my points.

Staal, Giroux, Nash, Perry, etc., are all better winger options for that top line.

Their game and style of play is better suited to a wing position than Tavares.

SillyRabbit 03-17-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy (Post 61820487)
He isn't as quick or as feisty as the players I mentioned.

His game doesn't translate to the wing as well as Stamkos, Giroux, Staal, Nash, or Perry.

Should Team Canada pick someone to play the wing, when more suitable players are available?

Nash and Perry are wingers.

Stamkos and Giroux's play translate well to the wing you say? Good, because that's where they'll be playing.

With Stamkos and Giroux on the wing, Tavares is Canada's best offensive center after Crosby.

Toews will center the 3rd line as he's their best two-way center.

Crosby
Tavares
Toews
Getzlaf

Stamkos, Giroux, Staal will play the wings.

joe_shannon_1983* 03-17-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chfan (Post 61820527)
He's most definitely a lock. Doesn't matter how they use him, he's just too good to not be on that team.

He is no better now than Spezza and Staal were in 2006. Those two got left off.

Stamkos was lighting the league on fire when 2010 was picked, and got left off.

Calirose 03-17-2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckgenius (Post 61820435)
canadas 4 centres will be

Crosby
stamkos
tavares
getzlaf

In that order. Tavares is playing with leftover scrubs in NYI and look what hes doing.

JT is ahead of getz, Thornton and Spezz are also in the picture. People never include Thornton, it boggles my mind why they don't. I'm so excited to see this team!!

Puckgenius* 03-17-2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy (Post 61820511)
You are crazy if you think Toews won't be at centre.

Top forward at the last Olympics. Conn Smythe winner. No weakness in any part of his game.

I think Toews plays wing, my guess is i would love to see him on Sids wing, he would be a perfect fit. toews is very versatile and in case the centreman gets waived out, how many teams can have Toews as the second option to take the draw?

joe_shannon_1983* 03-17-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SillyRabbit (Post 61820639)
Nash and Perry are wingers.

Stamkos and Giroux's play translate well to the wing you say? Good, because that's where they'll be playing.

With Stamkos and Giroux on the wing, Tavares is Canada's best offensive center after Crosby.

Toews will center the 3rd line as he's their best two-way center.

Crosby
Tavares
Toews
Getzlaf

Stamkos, Giroux, Staal will play the wings.

I can't imagine any scenario where Bergeron doesn't get the 4C spot.

So basically, 2C comes down to Tavares vs. Getzlaf.

Do you think Team Canada is going to pick Tavares over a proven winner in Getzlaf, especially when Getzlaf is right there with Tavares as it relates to current abilities?

AngelDuck 03-17-2013 12:52 AM

Staal-Crosby-Stamkos
Nash-Getzlaf-Perry
Bergeron-Toews-Giroux
Hall-Taveres-Duchene

Nash-Getzlaf-Perry would be the best line in the tourney I bet. 3 big guys with loads of skill. Perry and Getz have proven chemistry, Nash would fit in perfectly.

Go USA though!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.