HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Drew Stafford to Minnesota (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1378059)

Billy Mays Here 03-17-2013 03:10 AM

Drew Stafford to Minnesota

Although the Wild have been playing very well the last few weeks, I still think we're missing another capable top 6 forward on the right side. Cullen and Setoguchi have been fantastic together on the 2nd line the last 15 games or so, but I don't think Coyle is the right fit on that top line with Parise and Koivu right now. I think he needs another year (or two) to develop his game down in Houston. Parise and Stafford are very good friends and I was wondering if Buffalo fans would have any interest in moving him and if so, what would you be looking for in return? Keep in mind that the Wild are almost up against the cap so a guy like Heatley or Bouchard is likely going to have to be one of the pieces coming back.

CaptPantalones 03-17-2013 03:13 AM

I think Buffalo might take Bouchard or a Cullen if another piece came back. Zack Phillips perhaps

wunderpanda 03-17-2013 03:23 AM

Stafford for Cullen sounds great to me; he's a good centre, great at faceoffs and on the defensive side. Seems like a character guy too.

Billy Mays Here 03-17-2013 03:27 AM

Yes but as I stated above, Cullen and Setoguchi have been playing great together the last few weeks. They've probably been our best two forwards over that period. For a team that not just wants, but is desperate to make the playoffs, I don't see how you break that up. Plus didn't Cullen turn Buffalo down on an offer when he was a free agent a couple years ago?

CaptPantalones 03-17-2013 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan (Post 61824305)
Yes but as I stated above, Cullen and Setoguchi have been playing great together the last few weeks. They've probably been our best two forwards over that period. For a team that not just wants, but is desperate to make the playoffs, I don't see how you break that up. Plus didn't Cullen turn Buffalo down on an offer when he was a free agent a couple years ago?

yes. we were runners up to Minnesota

Gaps 03-17-2013 04:33 AM

I don't think the Wild wants to give up Cullen at this point, but at least PMB should be available, possibly Heatley as well.

Go to Sleep 03-17-2013 09:48 AM

Stafford has been scoring well these last few games; raising the value.

I'd trade him for Cullen. Like someone before said, he's capable of some good D and good at faceoffs.

MayDayMayDay 03-17-2013 09:51 AM

I could see Staff getting moved to Minny, being a little closer to home & just turning it on w/ Parise. A cap dump to get under w/ Staff wouldn't be an issue, but if we're rebuilding/retooling, we'd have to be asking for some futures value. What do you have in the ways of goaltending or scoring winger prospects??

Zip15 03-17-2013 10:36 AM

Bouchard and Cullen are impending UFAs. The Sabres suck and will be sellers at the deadline. Why in the world would Buffalo be taking on Cullen or Bouchard as impending UFAs (even assuming Minnesota would make them available)? We wouldn't.

I don't think the teams make good trade partners. Regier would want near NHL-ready talent like Coyle or Zucker, and not impending UFAs like Cullen or Bouchard, nor someone like Setoguchi. Minnesota, though, will need the cheap production that guys like Coyle and Zucker can give them because of the shrinking cap and the big contracts they just handed out. Also, I'm not too interested in Phillips, and I hope Regier isn't, either.

Unless Minnesota is willing to put one of Zucker, Coyle, or their 2013 1st on the table, I don't see a deal with the Wild.

TehDoak 03-17-2013 10:48 AM

If we're trading Stafford its for futures.

2nd + prospect would probably do it at this point

Seatoo 03-17-2013 10:59 AM

2nd + any goalie prospect not named Lack for Stafford

JJTT 03-17-2013 12:06 PM

2nd+Bouchard+ rights to Cody Almond?

for

Stafford

1972 03-17-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjtt (Post 61833963)
2nd+Bouchard+ rights to Cody Almond?

for

Stafford

No chance, Bouchar is a UFA

Zip15 03-17-2013 12:16 PM

Stafford scored 51 goals the previous two seasons and is under contract for another two seasons after this one. Regier is not going to undersell him like he's an impending UFA (2nd rounder and crap). He's going to want a young player who's about to help at the NHL level, or a 1st rounder.

Seatoo 03-17-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zip15 (Post 61834847)
Stafford scored 51 goals the previous two seasons and is under contract for another two seasons after this one. Regier is not going to undersell him like he's an impending UFA (2nd rounder and crap). He's going to want a young player who's about to help at the NHL level, or a 1st rounder.

Schroder and a 4th for Stafford then

Billy Mays Here 03-17-2013 01:51 PM

Bouchard + 2nd + Darcy Kuemper

1972 03-17-2013 02:06 PM

MIN 1st, top 10 protected

Karate Johnson 03-17-2013 02:09 PM

I wouldn't want any salary coming back.

Picks and prospects. No NHL contracts.

Billy Mays Here 03-17-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcy Regier (Post 61842231)
MIN 1st, top 10 protected

You're not getting our 1st, and I'm not sure if you're serious if you think our pick is a top 10 projected one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karate Johnson (Post 61842431)
I wouldn't want any salary coming back.

Picks and prospects. No NHL contracts.

Problem is, as I stated in the first post, we are right up against the cap so a Stafford deal can't be worked out unless at least $3 million is going back Buffalo's way.

DeuceMN 03-17-2013 02:22 PM

To Buff: Scandella, Phillips, 2nd

To Wild: Stafford (Buffalo retains half his salary for this year)

Billy Mays Here 03-17-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeuceMN (Post 61843163)
To Buff: Scandella, Phillips, 2nd

To Wild: Stafford (Buffalo retains half his salary for this year)

Oh yeah, forgot about that new rule where they can retain some of the salary. That changes things a lot actually.

1972 03-17-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan (Post 61843149)
You're not getting our 1st, and I'm not sure if you're serious if you think our pick is a top 10 projected one.

well MIN isn't getting Stafford for a measly 2nd round pick and/or impending UFA's Bouchard or Cullen.

Darcy won't give Stafford away unless he gets value for him

Billy Mays Here 03-17-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darcy Regier (Post 61844009)
well MIN isn't getting Stafford for a measly 2nd round pick and/or impending UFA's Bouchard or Cullen.

Darcy won't give Stafford away unless he gets value for him

Pretty much every Wild fan in this thread has offered more than just Bouchard + a pick. Cullen isn't going anywhere though with the way he's playing right now.

allan5oh 03-17-2013 02:44 PM

Jets interested in him as well. Would a 2nd and 3rd be entertained?

Zip15 03-17-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

He said top-10 PROTECTED. In other words, a conditional 1st. The condition being that if Minnesota goes in the tank and gets a top-10 pick, the 1st rounder will be for the 2014 draft.

Quote:

Problem is, as I stated in the first post, we are right up against the cap so a Stafford deal can't be worked out unless at least $3 million is going back Buffalo's way.

Which, again, is why we're bad trading partners. Regier will absolutely want one of Zucker, Coyle, or your 1st rounder AND will not want to take back significant salary--unless you're going to give us one of those pieces. Since it doesn't sound like you're willing to give up one of those pieces, Buffalo taking back at least $3m of players about to be UFAs is a non-starter.

Stafford has size and has demonstrated an ability to score goals in this league. Several teams would be happy to make a deal for him and give up something that Buffalo values.