HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Stefan Elliott (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1378063)

landesberg 03-17-2013 03:22 AM

Stefan Elliott
 
What's up with the kid? He looked great last season, albeit raw, but you could at least see the tools and potential he possesses. He finished with 13pts in 39 NHL games last season, but he had the majority of those points fairly early on.

This season he looks nothing like the guy he was last season. I mean Elliott always struggled with the physicality, but at least last season he'd have some poise and actually look dangerous in the offensive zone with great mobility and his wicked wrister. In his short callup this season, he didn't look great at all.

He's at 8pts in 38 games with LE. What's up with him? I mean I know he's been battling an injury of some sort, but that can't be the sole reason for his dropoff?

Av-merican 03-17-2013 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landesberg (Post 61824247)
What's up with the kid? He looked great last season, albeit raw, but you could at least see the tools and potential he possesses. He finished with 13pts in 39 NHL games last season, but he had the majority of those points fairly early on.

This season he looks nothing like the guy he was last season. I mean Elliott always struggled with the physicality, but at least last season he'd have some poise and actually look dangerous in the offensive zone with great mobility and his wicked wrister. In his short callup this season, he didn't look great at all.

He's at 8pts in 38 games with LE. What's up with him? I mean I know he's been battling an injury of some sort, but that can't be the sole reason for his dropoff?

It was a pretty serious knee injury, then he played all of one game before getting called up to the NHL. It was clear that while he showed more puck skill in one game than Greg Zanon has ever shown in his entire life, his confidence was shot. That's probably plaguing him a bit as he tries to reacclimate back to the AHL.

I'm not worried, he'll probably take a little longer to develop than Barrie, but he has a skillset that'll make him an NHL-caliber puckmoving defender. It just remains to be seen if he'll be a star or just a depth guy. But this year has had some setbacks for him that's for sure. Then again, a LOT of players in this organization had setbacks unless their names were Matt Duchene or P.A. Parenteau.

Puckstop40 03-17-2013 03:38 AM

I hope he can get his game back. When we traded Shattenkirk, I remember a few of our fans saying that Elliott and Barrie were the reason we could trade Shattenkirk. He was good a moving the puck well but looked timid. I remember his first goal was an absolute wicked wrister on Brodeur.

Ivan13 03-17-2013 03:47 AM

He'll bounce back, I really want to see him, Tyson and Gaunce get a chance under a competent coach and Chyneworth doesn't look too good to me, I think it's pretty telling that Gaunce was playing great last year and now he's struggling mightily.

Drij 03-17-2013 09:16 AM

you lost me at "He looked great last season"...

Lonewolfe2015 03-17-2013 10:27 AM

I don't see a lack of confidence in himself, I see a lack of confidence in his partners. He has had to play in a more defensive role this year because he's been paired with the godawful players on both the Avs and Monsters.

Meanwhile Barrie got Pck and Hejda.

He'll be a force in a couple years, no doubt about that. Dat shot.

Elever 03-17-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckstop40 (Post 61824441)
I hope he can get his game back. When we traded Shattenkirk, I remember a few of our fans saying that Elliott and Barrie was the reason we could trade Shattenkirk. He was good a moving the puck well but looked timid. I remember his first goal was an absolute wicked wrister on Brodeur.

The Avs are a weird team. Usually you trade the prospect instead of the player who's already ready but they moved the more sure thing (Shattenkirk).

It would be like the Oilers trading Schultz because they have Klefbom or the Leafs trading Gardiner last year because they have Morgan Reilly (maybe Reilly will be better but he hasn't even played an NHL game yet).

Anyways, offensive dmen need to be developed properly, I'm not sure we have the coaching assets to turn Elliott into that 50 pt dman but we'll see.

Lonewolfe2015 03-17-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kloparren (Post 61830713)
The Avs are a weird team. Usually you trade the prospect instead of the player who's already ready but they moved the more sure thing (Shattenkirk).

It would be like the Oilers trading Schultz because they have Klefbom or the Leafs trading Gardiner last year because they have Morgan Reilly (maybe Reilly will be better but he hasn't even played an NHL game yet).

Anyways, offensive dmen need to be developed properly, I'm not sure we have the coaching assets to turn Elliott into that 50 pt dman but we'll see.

Or the Kings trading JJ because they have Voynov.

landesberg 03-17-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drij (Post 61827947)
you lost me at "He looked great last season"...

He wasn't our worst defenceman last season and he looked good for an undersized rookie defenseman. The fact that he showed that he could compete and produce a little bit so early in his development is a great season to me.

Foppa2118 03-17-2013 01:49 PM

He looked good for his first few games, but then the opposition found out about his great wrister, and his skating and kinda shut him down.

This year he was a little better defensively, but still wasn't able to generate offense the way he did his first few games.

He's a got some work to do, but at least he showed some improvement defensively. Now he's just got to figure out what works offensively in the NHL to generate chances for himself and others.

Zandar 03-17-2013 04:27 PM

As has been mentioned briefly before...two major things have happened this year.

He had been playing with a lot of the weaker Ds in LE or at least the more offensive of them which required him to change his style some to cover up for his partners' lack of defensive abilities. If you are playing with borderline AHL talent then you are not going to try and skate the puck yourself. Lately, He's seen time with Pock, Gaunce and more defensive oriented players which has helped.

The other major item is the lack of pure talent at forward. This has caused LE to be less of a run and gun and more of a dump/chase/grind approach. Elliott does not make a living off dumping the puck. When the system requires you to play much different than you have success doing...you are going to see some struggles. Wasn't until recently he started seeing more PP ice time and with the better players. Elliott needs a team that can allow him to become the 4th forward not the PMD who dumps it in for the Malones, DVGs, and company to go fish out. When he has someone like O'Reilly dishing him the puck when he pinches in...we will see him do some serious damage. Right now he has whatever LE player who is on a PTO.

iceberg 03-17-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 (Post 61829783)
I don't see a lack of confidence in himself, I see a lack of confidence in his partners. He has had to play in a more defensive role this year because he's been paired with the godawful players on both the Avs and Monsters.

Meanwhile Barrie got Pck and Hejda.

He'll be a force in a couple years, no doubt about that. Dat shot.

Man, that's the most popular excuse for our favorite players' struggles, isn't it??

EJ not playing as expected? Blame Hunwick, Hejda, Wilson, whoever...

Stastny? Blame Jones...

Elliott? Blame someone else...

CB Joe 03-17-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan13 (Post 61824549)
He'll bounce back, I really want to see him, Tyson and Gaunce get a chance under a competent coach and Chyneworth doesn't look too good to me, I think it's pretty telling that Gaunce was playing great last year and now he's struggling mightily.

Gaunce = Bust. I doubt he's still in the Avs system next season.

Lonewolfe2015 03-17-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceberg (Post 61851655)
Man, that's the most popular excuse for our favorite players' struggles, isn't it??

EJ not playing as expected? Blame Hunwick, Hejda, Wilson, whoever...

Stastny? Blame Jones...

Elliott? Blame someone else...

I hope you're ok going to work tomorrow and having to complete your job to its full potential when your team has been replaced with the Janitor, Lunch Lady and an 80 year old with Alzheimers.

iceberg 03-17-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 (Post 61853099)
I hope you're ok going to work tomorrow and having to complete your job to its full potential when your team has been replaced with the Janitor, Lunch Lady and an 80 year old with Alzheimers.

I can't judge Elliott since i don't get to see LEM games... but it just seen odd to put the blame on others, when he was producing less than the Janitor, the Lunch Lady and the 80 year old with Alzheimer.

Lonewolfe2015 03-17-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceberg (Post 61856925)
I can't judge Elliott since i don't get to see LEM games... but it just seen odd to put the blame on others, when he was producing less than the Janitor, the Lunch Lady and the 80 year old with Alzheimer.

He is an offensive guy that is getting secondary players to work with. Why isn't EJ producing, he's clearly talented enough to. He's playing with Sullivan and Stollery in LEM iirc, guys definitely not suited to cover him. He played with Zanon up here, do I need to say more?

If Elliott can't take chances offensively then he won't produce a lot because it is his creativity that makes him so dynamic.

When he makes the NHL, it will be in dramatic fashion imo.

CobraAcesS 03-17-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 (Post 61857441)
He is an offensive guy that is getting secondary players to work with. Why isn't EJ producing, he's clearly talented enough to. He's playing with Sullivan and Stollery in LEM iirc, guys definitely not suited to cover him. He played with Zanon up here, do I need to say more?

If Elliott can't take chances offensively then he won't produce a lot because it is his creativity that makes him so dynamic.

When he makes the NHL, it will be in dramatic fashion imo.

Getting Siemens back next year will help them both IMO. This is one reason I would love to bring in Smid...

Smid could work with EJ or on our second pairing with one of Elliott or Barrie.

Smid
Siemens
Hejda

Down the left side would be a HUGE improvement in defense first guys for our RH offensive defenders.

Everyone developed...

Smid/Siemens - EJ

Smid/Siemens - Elliott/Barrie

Hejda - Elliott/Barrie

Our defense should turn over HUGE in the next year or two.

Lonewolfe2015 03-17-2013 08:08 PM

I fully expect Smid to get five mil from a desperate team, which will certainly not be us.

CobraAcesS 03-17-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 (Post 61861281)
I fully expect Smid to get five mil from a desperate team, which will certainly not be us.

If that happens, then no... I wouldn't want it to be us. I'd be fine with 4M per for 4 years though. Similar contract to what Garrison got, but Smid should get a little less because he does not bring as much offensive upside.

I think the offensive guys are getting over priced a bit more than guys like Smid in free-agency.

Zandar 03-17-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB Joe (Post 61852041)
Gaunce = Bust. I doubt he's still in the Avs system next season.

Gaunce is 22. Way too soon to give up on him. Probably get one more season to develop before they decide what to do with him.

iceberg 03-17-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 (Post 61857441)
He is an offensive guy that is getting secondary players to work with. Why isn't EJ producing, he's clearly talented enough to. He's playing with Sullivan and Stollery in LEM iirc, guys definitely not suited to cover him. He played with Zanon up here, do I need to say more?

If Elliott can't take chances offensively then he won't produce a lot because it is his creativity that makes him so dynamic.

When he makes the NHL, it will be in dramatic fashion imo.

Stollery and Sullivan look like decent AHL defensemen, Stollery is having a pretty solid season actually.

Saying that he is having a bad year because of his partners seems like an easy way to justify Elliott's shortcomings. Especially since he is the guy suposed to carry the play.

He is suposed to be the kind of player that will make his partner look better.

But he is young and is figuring things out. I believe he will rebound.

BrickAHL 03-17-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceberg (Post 61866443)
Stollery and Sullivan look like decent AHL defensemen, Stollery is having a pretty solid season actually.

Saying that he is having a bad year because of his partners seems like an easy way to justify Elliott's shortcomings. Especially since he is the guy suposed to carry the play.

He is suposed to be the kind of player that will make his partner look better.

But he is young and is figuring things out. I believe he will rebound.

Stollery is playing better as of late but to start the season he was pretty bad. Sullivan was absolutely TERRIBLE this season, the guy is a bad hockey player.

CalderKing21 03-17-2013 09:39 PM

Elliot is still rebounding from that injury, he looks a little skittish.

boz 03-17-2013 10:11 PM

I can't see Elliott and Barrie both together with the Avs in the long term.

I'd be more inclined to trade him if the right deal came along. Whilst the Siemens/Elliott pairing is quite interesting with their history i think it's bit of a reach to think the timing will work out to make it a reality...eg Cohen/Shattenkirk

Foppa2118 03-18-2013 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceberg (Post 61851655)
Man, that's the most popular excuse for our favorite players' struggles, isn't it??

EJ not playing as expected? Blame Hunwick, Hejda, Wilson, whoever...

Stastny? Blame Jones...

Elliott? Blame someone else...

Certain players are more dependant on their linemates. A playmaker like Stastny who doesn't create a lot of scoring chances on his own like Crosby needs a good sniper, and a D like EJ who has a lot of talent and phsysical tools but may not have the on ice vision required to create plays on his own, are guys that rely heavily on who they play with.

You could put Forsberg, or Bourque with anyone and they'd have success, but not everyone can be that kind of player.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.