HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   karri ramo/ kipper (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1378141)

flash 12 03-17-2013 10:30 AM

karri ramo/ kipper

can cgy pick up ramo now. if so what will it cost the flames and were will kipper end up.

Dr Quincy 03-17-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash 12 (Post 61828241)
can cgy pick up ramo now. if so what will it cost the flames and were will kipper end up.

His contract with the KHL is up, but does Calgary own his NHL rights? I don't think they do. Therefor, if they signed him right now, he'd have to pass through waivers in order to aplay this year. If you are talking about after the season, during the summer.... sure they can sign him if no other NHL team holds his rights. He was property of Tampa, but I don't know if they or any other team still have his rights.

Goodlad 03-17-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash 12 (Post 61828241)

KHL contracts technically run through May 1st, regardless of whether the player's team has been eliminated or not. Calgary would have to buy out the remainder of his contract. That's the only holdup on that end. Ramo is already On the Flames' RFA list, so he won't have to clear waivers. One issue is Cgy already has 4 goalies with NHL contracts (Kiprusoff, MacDonald, Irving, Taylor). I'm not sure they want to add another.

Captain Smurf 03-17-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Quincy (Post 61828481)
His contract with the KHL is up, but does Calgary own his NHL rights? I don't think they do. Therefor, if they signed him right now, he'd have to pass through waivers in order to aplay this year. If you are talking about after the season, during the summer.... sure they can sign him if no other NHL team holds his rights. He was property of Tampa, but I don't know if they or any other team still have his rights.

Tampa traded his rights to Montreal, who traded his rights to Calgary.

flash 12 03-17-2013 10:44 AM

cgy i think got his rights from mtl

Goodlad 03-17-2013 10:57 AM

Also of note, barring any other moves signing Ramo would put them at their 50 contract limit

fedfed 03-17-2013 11:18 AM

Ramo, who turns 27 on July 1st, will I THINK be an unrestricted free agent as rights are held only until player (who played in the NHL before, has NHL experience) reaches UFA age. If it's true, he should just wait it out and then get his choice as UFA. I'd rather have him than Neuvirth backing up Holtby in Washington.

JuniorNelson 03-17-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodlad (Post 61828539)
KHL contracts technically run through May 1st, regardless of whether the player's team has been eliminated or not. Calgary would have to buy out the remainder of his contract. That's the only holdup on that end. Ramo is already On the Flames' RFA list, so he won't have to clear waivers. One issue is Cgy already has 4 goalies with NHL contracts (Kiprusoff, MacDonald, Irving, Taylor). I'm not sure they want to add another.

They can waive MacDonald. Waivers are very active this season. Or, Feaster could do some trades. He seems to want to be active. Gillis is in a terrible position right now, take advantage. Feaster could utterly mop the floor with Gillis by offering Iginla or Cervenka as rentals/salary dumps. If offered either, Gillis would gratefully accept a Calgary surplus goalie, I'm sure.

Analyzer 03-17-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fedfed (Post 61829519)
Ramo, who turns 27 on July 1st, will I THINK be an unrestricted free agent as rights are held only until player (who played in the NHL before, has NHL experience) reaches UFA age. If it's true, he should just wait it out and then get his choice as UFA. I'd rather have him than Neuvirth backing up Holtby in Washington.

When Montreal acquired him the rights to him, Ramo said he wouldn't come back for a back up job, so Washington won't get him. Calgary has a better chance if they deal Kipper.

However, he makes good money, plays a lot and does well in the KHL while being close to home.

fedfed 03-17-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 61829733)
When Montreal acquired him the rights to him, Ramo said he wouldn't come back for a back up job, so Washington won't get him. Calgary has a better chance if they deal Kipper.

However, he makes good money, plays a lot and does well in the KHL while being close to home.

Omsk is nowhere close to his home. In fact, I think it's as far as the East Coast. I'm afan of his KHL team, so I'm all for your scenario ;)

Goodlad 03-17-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuniorNelson (Post 61829625)
They can waive MacDonald. Waivers are very active this season. Or, Feaster could do some trades. He seems to want to be active. Gillis is in a terrible position right now, take advantage. Feaster could utterly mop the floor with Gillis by offering Iginla or Cervenka as rentals/salary dumps. If offered either, Gillis would gratefully accept a Calgary surplus goalie, I'm sure.

Waiving MacDonald is definitely a possibility. I suspect he cleared before because he was coming off a major back injury and had some question marks. Now that he's had a chance to show he's still a serviceable backup someone might take a flyer on him.

Goodlad 03-17-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

I believe you're right, and he will be a UFA at season's end. I think from Ramo's perspective coming over for a few months this season is in his best interests. I'm sure most GM's would be cautious about offering a significant contract until they see if his game will carry over to the NHL. It doesn't always. Sometimes you get a Fasth, sometimes you get a Gustavsson

TheHudlinator 03-17-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

He left the nhl because he doesn't want to be a backup Calgary is the best situation for him he could very easily become the starter.

Devilspuppet666 03-17-2013 12:13 PM

ramos rights belong to calgary

and he has already expressed interest in the flames and playing with kipper

Petes2424 03-17-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodlad (Post 61828539)

Are you sure? How did Radulov come over last year before May?

Goodlad 03-17-2013 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petes2424 (Post 61832125)
Are you sure? How did Radulov come over last year before May?

His contract was bought out by an "unknown source".
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl...211640021.html