HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Too many Habs NHL players are AHL players or just plain mediocre (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=13783)

Freebooter 09-23-2003 05:39 PM

Too many Habs NHL players are AHL players or just plain mediocre

I just finished watching tonights game on Leafs TV. It looked a lot like some games from last year, except the Habs seemed to work harder and smarter. That's the good.

The bad is that we have way too many marginal NHL players. Some fans on this board seriously overestimate the Habs talent. While it is great to be optimistic, it is not good to be delusional. A few comments on some of the Habs' players:

Traverse - No business being in the NHL on any team, any time. Soft, slow, poor puck skills and complete absence of tough physical play. Tough isn't knocking a junior hockey player into the boards and then taking a penalty. Just an awful hockey player.

Boullion - A good AHL player, overmatched physically in the NHL. Got blown up by 19 year old Matt Stajan leading to a turnover. Good teams don't have Francis Boullion in their lineup, and good defencemen don't get undressed by Robert Reichel, the Laffs #4 centre.

Blouin - Why is he even getting a look? If we wanted toughness the kid Perrott who was signed by the Laffs was available.

Hossa - Definitely leaves me wanting more. Seems to be holding on to the puvk more this year, which is a good thing. Not a natural goal scorer.

Ribeiro - Continues to improve, but slowly. Has some great skills, obviously. Actually not as soft as people think. Why did I cringe when he was on the ice against Sundin? Because he is so so small.

Audette - Should be bought out, immediately. Small, selfish and on the decline.

Dagenais - Can't keep up at the NHL level. Far too slow, and his puck skills, aside from a big shot, are not enough to compensate. Hamilton bound.

Quintal - A fine 7 or 8 D-man. Miscast as a reliable, stay at home, last minute on the ice type of guy. Still overhandles the puck too much. After 16 years in the league, he isn't going to improve.

Rivet- A strong performance, the best D-Man along with Markov, for both teams.

Perezhogin - Hard to say. Needs better linemates to evaluate him Goes to the net and into traffic, which bodes well.

Brisebois - Seen it before. Looks so good sometimes, and then like a rookie. The Todd Gill of the Habs.

Perrault - We saw the whole Perrault package tonight. Deadly close in, good on offensive zone faceoffs, one of the worst defensive zone players in the league, no physical play at all. I can't see Gainey and Julien putting up with his act for very long. Will be dealt this year, for sure.

Guys, we are 3-4 years away from being a good team, maybe a bit less with a ew good trades and quick development of some young players.

Just a few notes from a long time Habs fan, and one old enough to remember when just making the playoffs was unacceptable.

RichardZednik#20 09-23-2003 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freebooter
I just finished watching tonights game on Leafs TV. It looked a lot like some games from last year, except the Habs seemed to work harder and smarter. That's the good.

The bad is that we have way too many marginal NHL players. Some fans on this board seriously overestimate the Habs talent. While it is great to be optimistic, it is not good to be delusional. A few comments on some of the Habs' players:

Traverse - No business being in the NHL on any team, any time. Soft, slow, poor puck skills and complete absence of tough physical play. Tough isn't knocking a junior hockey player into the boards and then taking a penalty. Just an awful hockey player.

Boullion - A good AHL player, overmatched physically in the NHL. Got blown up by 19 year old Matt Stajan leading to a turnover. Good teams don't have Francis Boullion in their lineup, and good defencemen don't get undressed by Robert Reichel, the Laffs #4 centre.

Blouin - Why is he even getting a look? If we wanted toughness the kid Perrott who was signed by the Laffs was available.

Hossa - Definitely leaves me wanting more. Seems to be holding on to the puvk more this year, which is a good thing. Not a natural goal scorer.

Ribeiro - Continues to improve, but slowly. Has some great skills, obviously. Actually not as soft as people think. Why did I cringe when he was on the ice against Sundin? Because he is so so small.

Audette - Should be bought out, immediately. Small, selfish and on the decline.

Dagenais - Can't keep up at the NHL level. Far too slow, and his puck skills, aside from a big shot, are not enough to compensate. Hamilton bound.

Quintal - A fine 7 or 8 D-man. Miscast as a reliable, stay at home, last minute on the ice type of guy. Still overhandles the puck too much. After 16 years in the league, he isn't going to improve.

Rivet- A strong performance, the best D-Man along with Markov, for both teams.

Perezhogin - Hard to say. Needs better linemates to evaluate him Goes to the net and into traffic, which bodes well.

Brisebois - Seen it before. Looks so good sometimes, and then like a rookie. The Todd Gill of the Habs.

Perrault - We saw the whole Perrault package tonight. Deadly close in, good on offensive zone faceoffs, one of the worst defensive zone players in the league, no physical play at all. I can't see Gainey and Julien putting up with his act for very long. Will be dealt this year, for sure.

Guys, we are 3-4 years away from being a good team, maybe a bit less with a ew good trades and quick development of some young players.

Just a few notes from a long time Habs fan, and one old enough to remember when just making the playoffs was unacceptable.

I agree on much. But Bouillon could work is way in the NHL. I don't agree on the fact that he gets overmatche physsically. He is solid and can be a solid 6th D-man in alot of teams, just like Robidas in Dallas.

GilleZ 09-23-2003 05:48 PM

Sorry, but the players you said that are AHL, will be in AHL this year. Bouillion, Traverse and other, hehe.

But your point is there thought. We dont have a team to be a contender, and we have to wait for the young guy to make mistakes and learn from them.

For the case of Audette, its still training camp and if he want to take it easy during training camp, its ok for me, he just have to put the puck in the net in the regular season. Remeber Czerkawski in pre-season!!!... hehehe.

Go Habs Go!!!

Freebooter 09-23-2003 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardZednik#20
I agree on much. But Bouillon could work is way in the NHL. I don't agree on the fact that he gets overmatche physsically. He is solid and can be a solid 6th D-man in alot of teams, just like Robidas in Dallas.

Let's put this in perspective. Boullion was let go by Nashville last year after being exposed in the waiver draft. He is an AHL/ Swiss league guy and not much more. He may be strong, but he doesn't have the size or leverage to handle bigger forwards. Otherwise I like the guy, he seems like a leader and a very hard worker, who generally makes smart decisions with the puck.

Freebooter 09-23-2003 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GilleZ
Sorry, but the players you said that are AHL, will be in AHL this year. Bouillion, Traverse and other, hehe.

But your point is there thought. We dont have a team to be a contender, and we have to wait for the young guy to make mistakes and learn from them.

For the case of Audette, its still training camp and if he want to take it easy during training camp, its ok for me, he just have to put the puck in the net in the regular season. Remeber Czerkawski in pre-season!!!... hehehe.

Go Habs Go!!!

I think Traverse will be bought out. He is too expensive to send to Hamilton with a one way contract and will be taking ice time away from a young player. Will be in the Swiss or German league this time next year.

I just remembered that Traverse was traded straight up for Eric Weinrich. My God.

RichardZednik#20 09-23-2003 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freebooter
I think Traverse will be bought out. He is too expensive to send to Hamilton with a one way contract and will be taking ice time away from a young player. Will be in the Swiss or German league this time next year.

I just remembered that Traverse was traded straight up for Eric Weinrich. My God.

You know what really scares me. That they do the same to Komi that they did to Hainsey. Use him badly and at the first error is off the line up and Dykhuis or Traverse are in. I don't think it will happen because the fans would go crazy but you never know with Montreal.

8b 09-23-2003 11:18 PM

It is right that some players are overrated here. But I must say that some player are underrated too:

Perreault: seems to be one of the most underrated player of the team. Even the media don`t see him as the second line center: with Koivu's injury the media have been talking about Ribeiro taking the first line spot. Why not Perreault? He has been good year after year, he may not be the best defensive player but he have great offensive skills.

Bouillon: He have been working hard every game I saw him play. He may not be a 1-2 defenseman but he is surely ready for NHL as a regular.

Dykhuis: He had a terrible season, like most of the habs last season. He is better than that and IMO he will show it this year.

Juneau: Some say that he is finished. He may be old but he have good hockey sense and he plays well in defensive zone. He may not be the player that make your team win, but he defitively is not the player that make you lose.

Rivet: He is the best right handed D-man the habs have right now IMO. He is not spectacular but he do his job.

Sundstrom: He can do much more than just kill time. His play with team Sweden was really good, if only he can deliver the same energy with the habs!

On the other hand, here is some players I consider overrated:

Komisarek: When people see him play the see him like a general but in fact he is a little timid and confused (wich is really understandable). He will gain confidence with experience and become better for sure but IMO he is not more than a rookie learning for now.

Ribeiro: Some say he will develop, someday... In my book, 100 played games is a good time to check if the player have improved or not. He did play 100 games and he did improve, poorly. Yes he do some great moves sometimes but hockey is a lot more.

Quintal: He is so slow... He can be rough but rapid player can pass him. Average fighter, I prefer to see his icetime given to Komisarek...

Well I must admit this team is almost like a great AHL team. IMO the team needs one more star player on attack and one more excellent defenseman. The solution: maybe trading Theodore, maybe trading some prospect like Komisarek and/or Hossa. The fact is you can't have quality without giving quality (exept when you deal with Pittsburg :p ).