HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Wild Rival? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1378553)

Chrisinroch 03-17-2013 06:37 PM

Wild Rival?

Who is the team's biggest rival?

Since rivalries are usually made in the playoffs, and newsflash, we haven't made the playoffs lately....

Who do you think we have as a rival? Does any team consider us a rival?

(for me it's the Canucks, but that is likely a one-way rivalry)

Colorado?? Looking forward maybe the Jets or Blackhawks?

Fel 96 03-17-2013 06:40 PM

Winnipeg in the future is a lock. Likely STL as well.

Also, maybe NSH from fans POV. Who knows.

tomgilbertfan 03-17-2013 06:40 PM

No one right now.

Fel 96 03-17-2013 06:41 PM

^Exactly.

Ice box hockey 03-17-2013 06:41 PM

Honestly i don't thing we have a rivalry with anyone right now. That's why im so excited for the new division, because i feel like we could get some good one going with teams like the jets, blues or hawks maybe. Until we get in the new division and let that go for a while i don't consider any team a rival of the wild.

GopherState 03-17-2013 06:59 PM

Does "trying to force rivalries" count as Minnesota's biggest rival?

That or Detroit if "Rivalry Wednesday" is to believed.

Northland Wild Man 03-17-2013 09:44 PM

I don't think we have any true rivals right now.

There are teams that we dislike quite a bit like the Canucks, Ducks, and of course Dallas.

TaLoN 03-17-2013 09:57 PM

Now? None. Near future? Chicago, St.Louis, Winnipeg.

D U M B A 03-17-2013 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GopherState (Post 61857381)

:laugh: Perfect.

Drewcifer 03-17-2013 10:13 PM

I agree with none. I'll always have a little bit of hate for the Canucks but it certainly isn't a Packers/Vikings type thing. Based on the games last year I don't think it will take very long for something to develop with Winnipeg, it just seems bound to happen. I think St Louis and Chicago will come in time as well, but right now they have no history with us.

SP1966 03-17-2013 10:35 PM

I agree there is not set in stone rival at the moment. Yet while I want the Wild to beat any team they play, I take greater pleasure in their beating the Cannuckleheads!! So I guess in my (tiny) mind they would be the closest thing to a rival.

Randy BoBandy 03-17-2013 10:39 PM

I might say Edmonton as us fans never get along. Lately a lot of animosity has been building up. No playoff stuff as we both never make the playoffs.

Avder 03-17-2013 11:05 PM

Now? I dunno... Vancouver I guess? Kinda? Not really tho.

Next Year? Winnipeg. I have a feeling that Wild-Jets could be an extremely heated, extremely violent rivalry. Already a little bad blood after what happened there last year.

Also Chicago and St. Louis. Having an actual rivalry with Chicago should be a lot of fun.

I hope we get a cool name for our division. I feel like the divisions next year should have real names like they used to.

tomgilbertfan 03-17-2013 11:06 PM

Pretty sure they said they're not going to be 'real' names.

Northland Wild Man 03-17-2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avder (Post 61870747)
Now? I dunno... Vancouver I guess? Kinda? Not really tho.

Next Year? Winnipeg. I have a feeling that Wild-Jets could be an extremely heated, extremely violent rivalry. Already a little bad blood after what happened there last year.

Also Chicago and St. Louis. Having an actual rivalry with Chicago should be a lot of fun.

I hope we get a cool name for our division. I feel like the divisions next year should have real names like they used to.

Good Lord, I'm right on the border of this potentially explosive rivalry.

frozenriverrat77 03-17-2013 11:37 PM

You need playoffs...or a constant series of games where there is more fighting than hockey for a rival...exactly why I love the new playoff structure...odds r greatly increased that we will constantly be meeting bhawks blues or peg in the first two rounds...very excited for it

Billy Mays Here* 03-17-2013 11:51 PM

I'd put money on St. Louis being our biggest rival within the next couple years. Those two teams really go at when they play against each other. Lots of chirping, fighting, and pileups. Winnipeg could evolve into quite a rivalry as well. Not sure I see Chicago being a huge rivalry unless the Wild can really step up their game and compete with Chicago for the division title. There's gonna have to be a couple playoff match-ups between those two teams as well for a rivalry to really form.

Rabid Husky 03-17-2013 11:59 PM

Maybe not rivals per se, but teams I just hate?
Vancouver, Edmonton, Anaheim.

Paul Bunyan 03-18-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan (Post 61856441)
No one right now.

This.

I was trying to think of one this year, and really there isn't one. A team without a "real" rival, since no one in our division is a rival in anything else, which kills all the longstanding rivalries in sport.

It's not just the playoffs, it's team location among other things.

Canucks fans (that I know at least) feel more strongly with Chicago now and I think most of the knowledgeable fans here hate Bertuzzi more than the Canucks now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GopherState (Post 61857381)

That or Detroit if "Rivalry Wednesday" is to believed.

and then ship them out East.....

It's a rivalry for me since it's the team I detest the most, being in exile there for years and essentially growing up as a Minnesotan in that state during their name stealing/bandwagon resurgence. We hated them back in the day with the North Stars (at least my family did), but with the Wild there isn't much history really.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan (Post 61872185)
I'd put money on St. Louis being our biggest rival within the next couple years. Those two teams really go at when they play against each other. Lots of chirping, fighting, and pileups. Winnipeg could evolve into quite a rivalry as well. Not sure I see Chicago being a huge rivalry unless the Wild can really step up their game and compete with Chicago for the division title. There's gonna have to be a couple playoff match-ups between those two teams as well for a rivalry to really form.

I don't know, my Chicago friends are pumped to "renew" the days when they used to burn effigies of North Stars players. Sitting in for that win that stopped their winning streak was probably the best I felt after a win all season, and their fans there were annoying as hell. I can definitely see that evolving quite quickly.

DeuceMN 03-18-2013 02:18 AM

Am I the only one that hates the Ducks? Still.. from when they knocked us out of the playoffs years ago, and the ******** playstyle, and their ********* players, and they interference that never gets called often enough...

Oil suck too, but that's just because they're a really irritating team full of entitled babies.

Fallenity 03-18-2013 03:33 AM

I dunno, after watching OKC and Aeros I'm really not liking the Oil, always want to watch Wild's games against them

TaLoN 03-18-2013 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan (Post 61872185)

Chicago has been up and down on the performance scale with their current overall lineup...this year they look out of this world, but this same squad last year was not remotely dominant. due to their performance last season, most people thought it was going to be St.Louis running away with the president's trophy. I'm not convinced Chicago is about to go on a Detroit like strangle hold on the division.

Not to discount the quality squad they've built either, not saying they will suck by means...just saying, with this team's improvements, we should be able to keep pace with the top 3 in the new Norris.

TaLoN 03-18-2013 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Bunyan (Post 61872969)
I don't know, my Chicago friends are pumped to "renew" the days when they used to burn effigies of North Stars players. Sitting in for that win that stopped their winning streak was probably the best I felt after a win all season, and their fans there were annoying as hell. I can definitely see that evolving quite quickly.

I agree that this one can develop rather quickly! Wild fans always seem to travel well to Chicago games and vice versa...Chicago fans...we all know can be rather *******. With rivalries between the fan bases in both Football and Baseball already, they are both prone to hating each other, and both fan bases remember the absolute venomous rivalry they had in the old Norris days.

I think we will see the seeds for a new Chi-town rivalry in the regular season next year, and if these two meet up in the playoffs this year, maybe even sooner. ;)

this providence 03-18-2013 10:31 AM

There are no real, current, rivalries in all of the NHL.

Mumbler* 03-18-2013 10:35 AM

The team we are playing game day.